Start by marking “Akoby si kameň jedla” as Want to Read:
Akoby si kameň jedla

Akoby si kameň jedla

V rámci edície Prekliati reportéri prinášame knihu reportáží z Bosny W. L. Tochmana Akoby si kameň jedla. Autor bol za knihu zaradený medzi finalistov literárnej ceny Nike a taktiež na ocenenie Prix Témoin du Monde, ktoré udeľuje Radio France International. Tento prvý preklad Tochmanovho diela do slovenčiny rozširuje počet jazykov, do ktorých bol preložený na dvanásť.

Bosna
Paperback, Prekliati reportéri, 112 pages
Published May 27th 2015 by Absynt (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Akoby si kameň jedla, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Akoby si kameň jedla

Start your review of Akoby si kameň jedla
Claire Reads Books
After a war that left more than 100,000 people dead, there are bones all over Bosnia—scattered in forests, thrown down wells, or buried in unmarked mass graves. Many of them belong to Bosnian Muslims who went missing and were killed as part of a Serbian ethnic cleansing campaign that lasted from 1992-1995. Written from 2000-2002, Like Eating a Stone chronicles the aftermath of genocide and the reckoning that grips a still deeply divided Bosnia. In spare but searing prose, Polish journalist Wojci ...more
Kimmy
Aug 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow....nothing dry or strictly historical about this book. The writers simple yet beautiful style of writing will break your heart and make you feel horror and admiration. This book was not about politics or chronology, but about the experiences and stories of the average person. Just amazing...
Zuzana Reveszova
Sometimes, somewhere, we tend to compare. How does it feel to live in a country responsible for genocide 70 years ago? And how do people live in a country where genocide happened 20 years ago? Bones witness and cure the pain. Bones shouldn't allow to forget.
Randa
Mar 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I cried A LOT.
Sue
Jul 16, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was so good at defining the personal disruption of war that I couldn't sleep for several nights. I was overcome with empathy and sadness.
Louise
This is a 2008 translation of a 2002 work. The book jacket says that it is a "lyrical". I think a more descriptive word is "choppy".

For instance, on p. 27, 20,000 people voluntarily (this part is explained at the end of the book) go to a "selection". Women and boys under 5 feet are separated from 7000 men. They had wedding rings and jewelry confiscated and were transported somewhere by buses and trucks. Zineta and her daughter, may or may not be with this group, but were transported in the morni
Lauren
Jul 25, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brutal and unnerving. Especially given the recent capture of Radovan Karadzic (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/23/wor...), this book is a crucial read that offers an unflinching perspective on the aftermath of this genocide. ...more
Karol Tołkacz
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: balkans
A book about the life and death of Muslim victims during and after the Balkan conflict in years 1992-95.
Noemilii
Jan 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a very well written insight into the horrors happening in Bosnia during the years 92-95 after the breakup of Yugoslavia. We follow the reporter on his way back to Bosnia after the war years where all the other reporters following the tragedies during the war have disappeared, but the tragedies didn't end with the year 1995 but lasted lifelong and scared the victims of this war for lifelong. Bosnian muslim mothers, fathers and other relatives are trying to find peace by burying their loved ones a ...more
Jana and books
Dec 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-reread
The book deals with an aftermath of the Bosnian wars. It mainly focuses on the stories/memories of surviving women and on a heroic work of Ewa Klonowski, an anthropologist in charge of identification of numerous bodies found in mass graves.

A war is horrible. And it is terrifying what an ordinary person - your neighborhood, teacher - is capable of when given power and/or when given a "right" excuse or simply - when he can.

The book is written in a very "matter of fact way", the author rarely jud
Deana
Jul 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought this would be a quick book, however the heaviness of it made it difficult to read. It’s written in a very “matter of fact” way, and shows us ordinary folks‘ experiences post the Bosnian genocide. People’s experiences and desires to find their family members’ bones, and essentially have an inkling of relief in laying them to rest, was and is saddening, and I found myself in tears while reading. Worthwhile if you want to read about personal experiences, not much so history/chronology of ...more
Amie
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simple sentences and uncommented structure makes the words more powerful. The story is of the survivors and how they are quite literally piecing together their lives after the horror of a genocidal war. A memorable book.
Lazarus-II
Jun 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5/5 or 9/10
Simon Astor
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Spare, sad, and very effective. The simple sentences are a kind of witness-poetry. A very beautiful portrait of suffering people looking for cold closure.
Boris Cesnik
Apr 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Poetry in simple hermetic sentences, in the sound of silence and unspoken words.
A poem of and in truth.
Inside, above and beyond humanity.
Amen.
Marianne
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After talking with a friend about her family’s horrific experience in the Bosnian War, I set about learning more about this conflict. This book is a series of experiences that took place during and after the war. It just scratched the surface for me in my search for information about this awful civil war.
Stefanie
Mar 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a painful book to read. The pain of those who suffered the war and genocide when the former Yugoslavia disintegrated is evident even years after the conflict ceased. The book provides many accounts of families seeking their loved ones - a search for bones in forests, mountains, caves and mass graves. The intensity, the fear, the trauma, the heartbreak are all palpable, and in this way the author helps us see just how hideous the war across this land was. I was also strongly affected by t ...more
Shawn
Wojciech Tochman's short investigative travel memoire "Like Eating A Stone: Surving the Past in Bosnia," is an incredibly poignant read. Tochman describes in terse, but vivid sentences the evil commited in Bosnia in the early 1990's. Very little of the causes of the war, the ethnic cleansing, the conflagration, the conflict, or whatever one chooses to name it, is reviewed. This is not a reflection on historical causes. This is not a reflection on how peaceful neighbors become murderous enemies.T ...more
Shonna Froebel
Nov 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: translations
This book was a finalist for the Nike Polish Literary Prize and for the Prix Temoin du Monde. First published in 2002, this is the first English translation. The book begins with a quote from Tadeusz Mazowiecki about the Bosnia War: "Humanity unites us in misfortune, in experiencing it. If only people understood that." Tochman does his best to help us do that.
The stories cover the Serb Republic (not Serbia) and the Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina.
His stories of survivors searching for famil
Trenchologist
Told in style that suits, with very little unnecessary embellishments so that the descriptions and facts stand apart, and alone, to their greatest purpose and impact. It's stark, effective and plainly told without being haunting or lingering too long in the mind. The history here is in the stories of the people talked to and interviewed; it is not historical so much as remembering. It is also recent history, with those alive still living the tragedy, separation and trauma from the time and confl ...more
LydiaGres
Jul 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've got a good book for you to read in long summer days. Please borrow it from me. It is nothing light and I swear it's maybe not best for the times of sadness that from time to time reaches to us all. But it captures a story (stories), important to me to remember.
(And please don't cry, Nebojsa B. will see you). Short sentences, repeated. Very good.
---
Reflektujem. Nad (pseudo)potrebou tejto knihy pre dnešných ľudí a aj nad uhlami pohľadu toho, čo človeku výjde vo vyhľadávačoch pri zadaní pomen
A
Jun 02, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very short, and somewhat horrifying read, about families searching for the bodies of loved ones lost during the war in Bosnia. It follows the lives of certain women who are trying to find any remaining evidence of lost sons and husbands, and it is painful in its raw, no-frills reporting. A very short, quick read, but hard to digest in one sitting -- I needed to take breaks from it throughout.
Mark Staniforth
Jun 05, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's hard to find words to describe this book, other than to say it's almost impossible to put down. Saying it's a testament to the folly of war is a mighty understatement. It has you questioning the point of humanity itself. Tochman's writing, translated from Polish, is spare and stripped. His matter-of-fact observations of mass graves and genocide add to its impact. No-one who reads it can believe there will be true peace in Bosnia any time soon.
Lucie
Jan 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The more I read about the Bosnian conflict the more I need to know. We can continue to say how are or were these things possible to happen in modern world or we can try to recover. I think it's extremely vital for all young people to know in detail about this conflict. So that we can be aware of what we are capable of at the hands of propaganda and warfare as well as politics and nationalism. We, the people, must know.
Greta
Nov 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A tender and poetic account of the Bosnian Wars in the 1990's and their aftermath. If you know nothing about the history, it isn't a good place to start, but is a beautifully written and worth reading.
Lauren
Aug 08, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Small book but big impact. The book really puts a face to Bosnia after the war in the 1990s.
dot.
Jul 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-ebook
This book will break your heart.
Jenn
Dec 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was fascinating. I've read many books about the Balkans, but I've never read anything about exhumations and body identification. Dr. Ewa Klonowski is an amazing woman.
Justyna
Mar 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Deeply moving and, frankly, disturbing.
Ela
Aug 18, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shocking post war picture without unnecesary comments . Just real lives of those who survived and lost their loved ones. Sad and disturbing report.

• Všem sráčům navzdory aneb Válka, o které nechcete nic vědět
  • 27 śmierci Toby'ego Obeda
  • Nie ma
  • Strup. Hiszpania rozdrapuje rany
  • Stramer
  • Zabójca z miasta moreli. Reportaże z Turcji
  • Nie przywitam się z państwem na ulicy. Szkic o doświadczaniu niepełnosprawności
  • Gottland
  • Niegrzeczne. Historie dzieci z ADHD, autyzmem i zespołem Aspergera
  • Polska odwraca oczy
  • Światy równoległe. Czego uczą nas płaskoziemcy, homeopaci i różdżkarze
  • Tragedia na Przełęczy Diatłowa. Historia bez końca
  • Jutro przypłynie królowa
Reporter, non-fiction writer. He has twice been shortlisted for the NIKE Literary Prize and has won the Polish Book Publishers Association Award.

He began his career as a reporter at the youth weekly Na przełaj before leaving school, and soon after he joined the first reporting team at "Gazeta Wyborcza". His reports from this period were published in a book, Stairs Don’t Burn (2000, 2006). Before h