Start by marking “The Wealth of Nations” as Want to Read:
The Wealth of Nations

Read Book* *Different edition

The Wealth of Nations

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  21,583 Ratings  ·  705 Reviews
An Inquiry into the Nature & Causes of the Wealth of Nations influenced a broad range of thinkers from David Ricardo to Karl Marx. Smith stresses the importance of the division of labor to economic progress. Opposing mercantilist monopolism, he offers a theoretical & historical case for free trade.
Five editions appeared before his 1790 death: 1776, 1778, 1784, 17
Mass Market Paperback, 1264 pages
Published March 4th 2003 by Bantam Classics (first published 1776)

To ask other readers questions about The Wealth of Nations, please sign up.

Spencer Gray The book that gave birth to classic economics. Whether you're for or against capitalism you can't discount this in depth look at one of the most…moreThe book that gave birth to classic economics. Whether you're for or against capitalism you can't discount this in depth look at one of the most influential economic theories of all time. This book rivals Das Capital in influence and stands the test of time as it remains more relevant than Marxist theory to modern economics. (less)

Szplug
May 07, 2012 marked it as intermittently-reading  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes I feel so very goddamned embarrassed by my lack of higher education. There are just too many of the foundational works of Western civilization that I am only getting around to now, in my early forties—and even with the padding of years, I feel depressingly unprepared heading into them. So much fucking time wasted doing shit, when I could have been reading...

Smith is smooth, like a nice rye whisky. Right off the bat, this artful Adam opens with a remark about the productive powers of la
Scott
Apr 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: economics
For a truth, about 3/4 of this book is 18th century blabber about corn prices. Of the remaining 1/4, about 1/2 is criticism of mercantilsm, which is mostly obvious and definitely boring.

The remaining 1/8 of the book, however, is worth fighting through the rest for. Even if you've heard the explanation of the "invisible hand" a thousand times, there is something magical about reading the actual words by the father himself:

"It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker
Erik Graff
May 16, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Erik by: Evelyn Wood
A prideful and ambitious boy, hearing that President Kennedy had been a speed reader, I cut lawns and shovelled walks to pay for an Evelyn Wood Reading Dynamics program. We met in the spare basement of the hideous modern structure that passed for Park Ridge's "Inn"--a residence primarily for attendants and pilots from the airlines utilizing nearby O'Hare International Airport. I was a sophomore, the youngest in class, quite serious and full of myself.

The Wood method consisted, basically, of two
Richard Fulgham
Apr 19, 2009 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: swine, hyenas and robber barons
"The Wealth of Nations" is the book that changed greed to a virtue instead of a sin.

In fact, greed is one of the Seven Deadly Sins in Christian theology. Greed is a sin in ALL the great religions, including Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, Zen Buddhism, Buddhism, American Indian Spiritualism, Wiccan nature love, Bahá'í Faith, Gnosticism · · Rastafari,Samaritanism, Indian Ayyavazhi, Jainism, Sikhism Iranian Ahl-e Haqq, Manichaeism, Mazdak, Yazidi,Zoroastrianism, East Asian Confucianism, Taoism,Recent C
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Wealth of Nations, Adam Smith
تاریخ نخستین خوانش: نوزدهم ماه سپتامبر سال 1978 میلادی
عنوان: ثروت ملل؛ نویسنده: آدام اسمیت؛ مترجم: سیروس ابراهیم زاده؛ تهران، پیام، 1357؛ در سه جلد: جلد نخست: علل بهبود نیروی مولد کارگر، نظم و ترتیبی که بر طبق آن محصول محصول وی به طور طبیعی میان گروههای مختلف مردم توزیع میشود؛ جلد دوم در باره ماهیت سرمایه، نخوه انباشته شدن، و کاربرد آن؛ جلد سوم: درباره سیر توانگری و ثروت بین ملتهای مختلف؛ موضوع: اقتصاد از نویسندگان اسکاتلندی - قرن 18 م
در سال 1395 هجری خورشیدی خلا
Manny
Aug 27, 2014 marked it as to-read
For some reason, the American Right tend to be as vehemently in favor of the Invisible Hand of the market as they are vehemently against the Invisible Hand of Darwinian selection. And the old USSR was exactly the same, except that they reversed the two positions.

Am I the only person who thinks this is just plain weird?
Anne
Apr 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone.
Recommended to Anne by: I'm not going lie, I was forced to read it in American Nat'l Gov
Shelves: ethnographical
How can one go through life without reading the Wealth of Nations?

Adam Smith had the idea of modern economics before the United States was even sovereign (I go not so much for good writers, as I do for innovative and groundbreaking thinkers). Imagine coming up with your own idea of an economic system long before the world was ready. And unlike Marx, may I mention, Smith's ideals are not only flourishing and still seen today, but they are the foundation of the many, many economies and nations.
Edward

Explanatory Notes and Commentary
Index
Jacqueline
Nov 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Always a great classic on economics. His one fatal flaw was opening the door for Marx. By placing value based on labor, laborers feel they are the ones that deserve all the reward. Labor means nothing if no one wants the item being produced. The free market drives price, not the amount of labor put into a product.

Great chance to see and understand how economics developed.
Dave
Jul 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Adam Smith’s “An Inquiry Into The Nature And Causes Of The Wealth Of Nations” (often called simply “The Wealth Of Nations”) is one of two great works from the Scottish economist and philosopher, the other being the lesser known “The Theory of Moral Sentiments”. “The Wealth Of Nations” was published on March 9th, of 1776, but there were additional editions in 1778, 1784, 1786, and 1789. I read the free Kindle version of “The Wealth Of Nations”, and while I do not recommend that version I do recom ...more
http://purelifegreencoffeebeanadvice.com/extensive-ageless-serum/ 1 4 Mar 01, 2017 05:43AM
AoM Essential Man...: The Wealth of Nations 1 5 May 01, 2015 06:14PM
Goodreads Librari...: Typo 2 16 Oct 25, 2014 06:40AM
  • The General Theory of Employment, Interest, and Money
  • Human Action: A Treatise on Economics
  • The Road to Serfdom
  • Capitalism and Freedom
  • The Young Man's Guide
  • What Has Government Done to Our Money? and The Case for the 100 Percent Gold Dollar
  • An Essay on the Principle of Population
  • Capital: The Process of Capitalist Production as a Whole
  • The Worldly Philosophers
  • Essential Manners for Men: What to Do, When to Do It, and Why
  • Capitalism, Socialism and Democracy
Although the exact date of Smith's birth is unknown, his baptism was recorded on 16 June 1723 at Kirkcaldy.

A Scottish moral philosopher and a pioneer of political economy. One of the key figures of the Scottish Enlightenment, Smith is the author of The Theory of Moral Sentiments and An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations. The latter, usually abbreviated as The Wealth of Nat
More about Adam Smith...
“Science is the great antidote to the poison of enthusiasm and superstition.” 196 likes
“The man whose whole life is spent in performing a few simple operations, of which the effects are perhaps always the same, or very nearly the same, has no occasion to exert his understanding or to exercise his invention in finding out expedients for removing difficulties which never occur. He naturally loses, therefore, the habit of such exertion, and generally becomes as stupid and ignorant as it is possible for a human creature to become. ” 94 likes