Start by marking “Countess by Coincidence (House of Haverstock, #3)” as Want to Read:
Countess by Coincidence (House of Haverstock, #3)

Countess by Coincidence

(House of Haverstock #3)

To extricate himself from financial difficulties, John Beauclerc, the Earl of Finchley, concocts a scheme to marry a stranger who's answered his advertisement. He'll show his grandmother! That lady’s withholding money until he can demonstrate more maturity and less scandalous behavior. At six and twenty, the last thing he wants is to settle down. He goes to the church at S ...more
Published July 17th 2015 by Harper & Appleton (first published July 7th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Countess by Coincidence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Countess by Coincidence

Kay Hudson
Jun 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-books, romance
As its title would suggest, Cheryl Bolen’s latest Regency romance opens with wild coincidences and foolish behavior, all of which combine to throw the hero and heroine of Countess By Coincidence into that favorite entertaining (for the reader!) predicament, the Marriage of Convenience.

Margaret Ponsby, sister of the Duke of Aldridge (the hero of Bolen’s Duchess by Mistake) has harbored a girlish crush on John Beauclerc, the Earl of Finchley, for years, although she has never actually spoken to hi
Crazychriss889
Our heroine?
Don't really get her. Seems to be pretty shy around men but then at times she isn't. Don't get why she is so infatuated with a guy she has never met or really spoken to, a guy who has one of the worst reputations ever and who really is a rake and a gambler... I just don't get it... Does she really only care about his looks??
Also, she is way too complacent, never says what she actually wants and desires...

Our hero?
Well, didn't like him for quite some time. He doesn't plan to change hi
MaryD
Feb 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
A delightful romance. I loved Lady Margaret & adored Lord Finchley (once he got over being an a**).
RoloPoloBookBlog
Countess by Coincidence by Cheryl Bolen
Book #3: House of Haverstock Series
Source: Author:
My Rating: 4/5 stars
My Review:

What do you do when you’re a rake who’s in debt up to your butt and can’t your hands on granny’s wealth until you prove you have matured? You do the most mature thing you can think of, put an ad in the paper for a bride in name only. Of course that’s what you do.

John Beauclerc hasn’t done a thing with his life since leaving school. Oh, to be sure has drunk himself into a stup
Patricia Schuette
A story about a young man who wants to find a lady who will marry him sight unseen for a hundred pounds. He goes to meet her at the church but it isn't until the ceremony is over he finds he has married the wrong lady who by Chance has the same name as the woman his lawyer found. I really enjoyed this unusual story.
Sep
Nov 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This romance had a cute premise. The hero is in debt and his grandmother won't forward some of his inheritance until he gets married. He puts an ad in the paper and then accidentally marries the heroine (don't ask but it was believable) by mistake because she has the same name. The story is about how he mends his ways and falls in love with his wife who has secretly loved him for years.

My 3 star rating was based on the idea that Cheryl Bolen is a good writer but she could not convince me to like
Zena
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this story with its constant possibility of a love either being consummated or not.
It brought tears to my eyes with the tenderness expressed by both of the main characters and I will admit to also laughing at their thoughts about each other and what they would like to do together.
I also loved the openness and zest for life of Caro, Maggie's younger sister and John's grandmother seemed to be a force to be reckoned with.
Altogether a well written, enjoyable and very entertaining story which
Laura R
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lovely book!

I loved this book! I had already read some of the author’s other books, so I knew this one would be so great! It’s so nice to read a romance that does not get raunchy with explaining so much about the sex act. This author gives credit to the reader’s imagination for that! I find that I can imagine what’s going on so much better than reading a full description. Thank you Ms Bolen!!!
Debby Settle
Nov 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining

As with all Cheryl Bolen's stories Countess by Coincidence will entertain you with love, laughs and tenderness between two people. Couples come together thinking never to find themselves in love, but we can read and feel love entering their lives and hearts. A warm and witty read.
June Barrios Wiley
Lovely story

Trent house continues to be a wonderful place for war widows and their children. And in the meantime the sisters are all finding their handsome true loves. Lovely story with lovely ending about Margaret and her one true love .
Favirah
Could be better

The premise is good. A marriage of convenience with one sided love, but it takes too long . The story drags on and on with the hero insisting in his mind that he hates the marriage.

And what with the excessive use of ( and sometimes awkward) "I own", "you own" and the word "bloody".

But still, it is a good, sweet read. I wish only the story had a bit more angst and depth.
Carol Greenwood
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Two women with the same name fated to cross paths.

Margaret had gone to church to pray. How had she come to be married to her secret heart's desire? Delicious reading...
Sheila
Apr 19, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Delightful

Reforming the rake is always a pleasure to read. Especially when it is done by the shy miss who has to step out of her own comfort zone to do so.
Marilyn Kavanaugh
Tender persuasion

This is a subtle take on the reformation if a rake theme. It includes a number of Happy romances and an artful approach to sex.
Dianne Lowe
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
AnnMarie
Jul 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Countess of Coincidence is book three in the House of Haverstock series by the talented Cheryl Bolen.
It's a wonderful addition to the set and I love the way the characters in all three books are connected.

This is the story of Lady Margaret Ponsby, the daughter of an Earl. She's a shy young woman who has resigned herself to being a spinster after not being offered for after a few seasons since her 'coming out' into society.

It is also the story of the Earl of Finchley. He is what is known as a
Connie Fischer
Jul 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
John Edward Beauclerc, the 11th Earl of Finchley, promised his grandmere, the Dowager Finchley, to curtail his gambling but has failed yet again. His parents are deceased and his grandmere is his only close relative. In need of money, he goes to her but she refuses him. She reminds him that he has honor which was lacking in his father and grandfather.

Lady Margaret Ponsby has grown weary of the husband hunting ritual. She and her sister, Caro and Clair, each have a dowry of 30,000 pounds. Their s
Sportochick
Jul 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a lighthearted easy historical read that shows the reader how a young Rake can find himself changing when he least suspects it. John Beauclerc, the 11th Earl of Finchley loves carousing with his three best friends. The author shows that there is more depth to his character that he is unaware of but his grandmother and now shock of shocks his unexpected wife can see. There are some amusing parts in how John acts that will crack up the reader because they will identify with someone in thei ...more
Marissa
Jul 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kindle Copy for Review

What happens when two people end up getting married by accident and neither wanted to fall in love.

John Beauclerc, the Earl of Finchley, finds himself placing an advertisement to get marry to appease his grandmother. He needs to show her that he is responsible and has change his scandalous ways so he can inherit his money.
John does not want to marry but he knows he must for his sake. So he meets up at St. George's Hanover Square to wed a Miss Margaret Ponsby of Windsor, as
Petula
Jul 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to receive an ARC but that does not colour my review in any way.
John, the Earl of Finchley has got himself in another financial pickle. This time his grandmother, who holds the purse strings is insisting it's time her grew up. He is only 26 years old, he is enjoying gaming, drinking and worse with his best friends. But he has a plan!!!
Margaret is a very shy young woman. Her and her sister might look almost the same, but their characters are very different.
Margaret has always
Connie
Jan 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful Recency Romance

Lady Margaret Ponsby is in St. George's praying for a decent man. In walks Lord John Finchly, who hands her 100 guineas and marries her. Margaret has always loved John from afar when he visits his grandmother. John believes he is marrying a different Margaret Ponsby who will live in a different town than he does. He wants nothing more than to run with his bloods, gamble, drink, and cavort with loose women.

A very interesting start to a marriage. When John finds out he can
Diana (DomesticGoddess)
Could this be any more repetitive? DNF at 50%. The premise is silly, and I am bored out of my skull. The author was an English teacher, so at least the grammar, spelling and punctuation are pretty much correct - otherwise this would have been a one-star.

He did not want his friends to change. He did not want them to ever marry and grow serious and forget about drinking one another under the brandy table or arguing over ladybirds of unquestionably scandalous repute or laughing themselves silly ov
Courtney
I was delighted to have won this book through a Goodreads giveaway (THANK YOU!). I bought the first two books in the series and read them first, and I must stress that this is necessary. The series is about an entire family and you need to read the first two books for this one to make any sort of sense.

That being said, I liked this book. I will admit that the meet cute is INCREDIBLY far fetched, almost out of the realm of possibility. But, aside from that, I quite liked the hero and heroine and
Kat
Jan 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, regency
I read this one first and the first book of the series at a later point. Didn't matter. Much. Some character names were mentioned in passing, like a reference to more that I didn't get.

At first, I was a little confused with the Margaret Ponsbys and the places they were supposed to go. But once that was cleared up... what a wonderful story! I loved just about everything about it, the characters, the development, the side-stories.
Being a very shy person myself, I struggled with the young Margaret'
Kathleen Ruggio
Sep 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
No Coincidence Another Great Read

I really enjoyed this winding tale, Cheryl Bolen has tastefully spun. Another great read for us to enjoy. A confirmed bachelor determined to stay that way who falls into financial troubles decides to marry to get out of debt. By coincidence he marries a woman of the same name but NOT the one he signed a contract with. He finds that he got a much better deal and a much better woman as he slowly succumbs to the kindnesses of a gently bred woman.
Tammy
Dec 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a delightful story. More than once I had to smile when the hero, John, proclaimed how he just didn't want to be married but at least he was married to Margaret. I loved watching his slow progression into love. I also adored Margaret. She was so meek and mild and yet so endearing. I also enjoyed the supporting characters. I will have to find the first two books in the series now because I just want to read more. I also find myself hoping for another book or two in the series so that I can he ...more
Lori McD
3 stars

I really like Cheryl Bolen, as an author. But I admit that I had to read this book twice for it to really do anything for me. To be fair, I might have gulped it down too quickly the first time. Everyone felt wishy-washy and woe-is-me.

But during my second reading, I saw that I'd over-judged the character and the story. It's a very GENTLE story, and it doesn't leap off the page at you - it has to be slowly savored, like a good high tea. I've decided to read the other books in the series.

See
Wendy Tavenner
Jul 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I pre-ordered the book and as soon as I was done with book 2 yesterday I immediately started on this book. Margaret has had a crush on John the Earl of Finchley for sometime. When he mistakens her for another Margaret, he ends up marrying Lady Margaret by mistake. Finchley not wanting to be married to her sees it as an advantage. As time goes by and Lady Margaret moves into the Earls residence things start to change for the good without her needing to ask. Pretty soon mousy Margaret won't be mou ...more
Lynda Barker
Aug 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Margaret answered an advertisement for a bride in name only.

John just wanted to have fun with his friends, he didn't want a wife. Her dowry got him out of debt. But her brother, the Duke warned him to change his ways. John was falling in love with his wife, Maggie had always been in love with John.

This book is for people think that people can't change, but love always finds away.
Charlotte
Sep 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A cute and light read. Although the hero and heroine meet under ... erm, unusual circumstances, it was nice to see how their relationship developed into a real marriage, and the characters themselves evolved. I especially enjoyed watching the hero, who was initially immature and selfish, grow into a responsible individual.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Jun 20, 2015 12:32PM

• Unlacing Lady Thea
  • Fair Stands the Wind
  • Love, Letters and Lies: A Pride and Prejudice Variation
  • A Debt Paid in Marriage (Business of Marriage #1)
  • The 26th of November: A Pride and Prejudice Comedy of Farcical Proportions
  • Meant to Be: A Pride and Prejudice Variation
  • Miss Darcy's Companion: A Pride and Prejudice Variation
  • The Many Lives of Fitzwilliam Darcy
  • The Only Way: A Tale of Pride and Prejudice
  • The Borrowed Bride (Seavers Brides, #1)

Since being named Notable New Author for 1997, Cheryl Bolen has published more than 35 books with Kensington/Zebra, Harlequin, Love Inspired Historical, Montlake, and independently. She has broken into the top 5 on the New York Times and hit the USA Today bestseller list. Her 2005 One Golden Ring won Best Historical, Holt Medallion, and her 2011 My Lord Wicked was awarded Best Historical in the In

House of Haverstock (4 books)
  • A Lady By Chance (House of Haverstock, #1)
  • Duchess By Mistake (House of Haverstock, #2)
  • Ex-Spinster by Christmas (House of Haverstock, #4)
“wedding ceremony indicated a closeness between John and her. The old woman quite obviously doted upon her only grandchild. Had she made similar allowances for her wayward son?” 0 likes
“consumption of brandy, he was trampled to death when he attempted to” 0 likes