Start by marking “Stiletto (The Checquy Files, #2)” as Want to Read:
Stiletto (The Checquy Files, #2)

Stiletto (The Checquy Files #2)

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  11,767 Ratings  ·  1,529 Reviews
In this spirited sequel, The Rook returns to clinch an alliance between deadly rivals and avert epic—and slimy—supernatural war.

When secret organizations are forced to merge after years of enmity and bloodshed, only one person has the fearsome powers—and the bureaucratic finesse—to get the job done. Facing her greatest challenge yet, Rook Myfanwy Thomas must broker a deal
Published June 14th 2016 by Little, Brown, and Company

To ask other readers questions about Stiletto, please sign up.
Mit We are having a third book.Daniel confirmed in FB. He is busy writing it now as I type.

Bradley
Sep 14, 2015 rated it liked it
I had a bit of a love/hate relationship with this novel. Unlike the previous one, which seemed slightly easy in comparison, this one had a lot of features that I've grown to hate over the years.

Such as? Action buildups that suddenly cut to long and unasked for history lessons and expositions that sometimes, eventually, bring out an aspect of the story that will, also eventually, fit right into the tale. Unfortunately for me, it kicks me right out of the telling and I've got to reign in all my en
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Well damn it. I was hoping this was going to be a 5 star sequel.

It still had some humor and bizzare stuff but it wasn't great to me. 😕 I liked well enough though.

Felicity kept her gun and her eyes firmly pointed at the man. Unfortunately, that meant that she got a good look at his backside. It was hairless, but then, so was the rest of him. Or at least, the parts that she could see. There was no hair on his scalp, but was a set of curious bony ridges ringing his head. His skin was paper white
Carol.
Oct 23, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Oh, Stiletto--

How I wanted to love you! How I wanted to immerse myself in your pages. I wanted laugh out loud at the Chequey's zany monster encounters, chuckle at the witty dialogue and zip along with an intriguing plot. I wanted to enjoy intriguing characters with bizarre talents running around London.

Instead, I have a young woman mourning a lost love and baffled by her inclusion into a diplomatic mission, the slow pace of the diplomatic mission interrupted by mysterious deaths, and the even s
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
3.5 stars. Final review, first posted on Fantasy Literature. This review contains some minor spoilers for The Rook, the first book in THE CHECQUY FILES series:

The Checquy, a top secret British agency of people with supernatural powers, are contemplating a peace accord and merger with their hereditary enemies, the Belgian Wetenschappelijk Broederschap van Natuurkundigen (the “Scientific Brotherhood of Physicists”), whom the Checquy dismissively call the “Grafters.” While Checquy members are born
Celeste_pewter
Every year, there will be at least a few books where I'll finish the book and think: "Damn it. Can I just write a GIF-filled review and call it a day? Because there's no way I can do the awesome of the book justice with my review."

Unfortunately for me, and fortunately (?) for all of you: I don't have good GIF game. So I'm going to hunker down and do my damnedest to explain:

* Just why Stiletto was worth the four-year wait,
* How Daniel O'Malley is clearly a badass feminist, who writes excellent f
Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews)
I WANT THIS SO BAD.

The first is pretty unknown, which is just too bad. It is weird and fantastical and clever and ripping good fun.

I have been hoping and hoping to see a sequel for Myfanwy & Co. and now I just need to count the days until I actually can read it.
Cece (ProblemsOfaBookNerd)
*3.5/5

An excellent sequel and an enjoyable book overall, but it was far too long and had a few really unnecessary storylines that detracted from the central plot. However, I did love the two new POV characters in this one. The rotating perspectives worked really well and I think expanded on the world of the series phenomenally.
mark monday
page turner, page turner! supernatural and super-scientific terrorist attacks are rocking London! as always! the super powered super secret agent club called The Checquy that protects UK interests sure do have their hands full! it's a good thing nearly all their agents have super powers like vanishing and spouting green fire and microscopic vision and turning air hard and looking through walls and reversing their aging process so they can be the Amazonian goddess they were back in yesteryear! go ...more
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4.5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2016/06/28/...

I must confess, I only finished The Rook last month when the surprise arrival of a Stiletto ARC prompted me to do some quick catching up with the series, so I can’t claim to have waited for this sequel for as long as others. That said though, I was no less excited to jump right in! I loved the first book, and practically dove into this next one straight away.

The first thing you should know about Stiletto is that even tho
Mike
Aug 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Some spoilers for The Rook and this book to follow, so tread lightly good reader.

It may have taken four years but we finally have a sequel to that delightful, quirky supernatural thriller The Rook. It was one of my favorite books of 2012 and I was a bit worried about the sequel. I wasn't sure where O'Malley would be able to go after the conclusion of The Rook. I was also worried that Myfanwy Thomas, the protagonist from the first book, was too powerful to serve as an effective focus for a sequel
Robyn
Jun 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
So, I enjoyed being back in this entertaining and humorous world, as well as getting to know the 'other side' of the first book - The Grafters. There are some negatives to this one, though - endless miscellany and info dumps. With stronger editing, I think this would have been a better book. But still! If you liked the first one, you'll more than likely like this one!
mark monday
Arielle Walker
After being less than impressed with The Rook (fun to a point, but not particularly noteworthy in my opinion) I hadn't really seriously intended to read this sequel. Maybe pick it up in a few years time, in a spare moment, if I had the time and inclination etc etc

Well, I actually read it last week, sort of by accident. It was sitting there at the library, in pride of placed, and I grabbed it on a whim. I'm so glad I did.

Stiletto is serious fun. The characters are well-rounded, the humour balance
Giovanna
I received an ebook copy of this book from Netgalley, in exchange for an honest review.

I don't even know what I expected from Stiletto. The Rook was unique and it managed to grab my attention in spite of a slow start and a bit too much info dumping. Unfortunately Stiletto wasn't better than The Rook and considering that the concept wasn't a surprise anymore it didn't satisfy my expectations. Not completely anyway.

> The pacing was lacking a bit of balance. The first half of the story progresse
Book Riot Community
I hadn’t planned to pick this book up. Paranormal secret agents in London merging with their ancient enemies, a bunch of mad scientists from Europe? Eh, not my thing, I thought. I was so wrong. I haven’t been able to put Stiletto down. It’s funny, and gross, and imaginative, and weird, and it keeps me up late at night because it’s such a page-turner. This is the sequel to O’Malley’s first novel, The Rook, which I haven’t read, so I can verify that it stands alone.

— A.J. O’Connell

from The Best Bo
Hannah
May 17, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, fantasy
In the interest of full disclosure I have to admit that I struggle with Urban Fantasy as a genre (which surprises me - because I obviously love Fantasy), so you should take my rating of three stars with a grain of salt.

This book takes of just after the last book ended - the Chequey and the Grafters trying to form an alliance. This process is complicated by the fact that both organisations are indoctrinated to hate the other - which makes sense from an in-story-perspective but still got annoying
Katie
Dec 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016-releases, 2016
It's so hard to be coherent about this wonderful book but I do have a full spoiler free video review of it: https://youtu.be/4b85viwCCXM.

In short though it's funny, thought provoking, bizarre and an all around good time. It totally lived up to my expectations.

I received this book upon request from the publisher in exchange for an honest review
Milda Page Runner
Oct 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy, humor
Well, this was fun.
Different from Rook - with two new Povs story feels a bit more spread out and not as intense. Also it doesn’t have the mystery element to it - slowly uncovering the secret world – rather dives straight into paranormal action tentacles and all.
If I’d want to grumble, I could mention few slower stretches of Grafter’s history in the first third of the book. But I love O’Malley’s writing and humour too much, so I won’t. :)
All in all I’d say – weaker than the Rook but still very e
Sylvain Reynard
May 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Well written and engaging. I enjoyed this book very much. Hoping there's a third volume in the series,
SR
Scott  Hitchcock
3.5*

I think the best part of this book was the humor. Very dry British style thrown in to make the absurd funny. The story itself was OK, mostly predictable. I did like the historical aspect it added. It reads somewhere between James Bond and Bridget Jones.
Zara
Aug 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yeah, I just added a book that doesn't even have a title yet. Read The Rook.
Skip
Jun 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
I really enjoyed this book, wanting to read the next few pages to see what other crazy and imaginative stuff O'Malley could concoct. The main story is a proposed merger of the British Checquy with their centuries-old rivals, the Dutch Grafters. Checquy Rook Myfanwy Thomas and Ernest Graaf van Suchtlen are leading the efforts but there is much acrimony, including bitter factions opposed to the alliance. The two main characters, are Odette, the many-great granddaughter of Ernest, and Pawn Felicity ...more
Mimi
A rollicking good read. Not a 5-star book, but definitely one I'll return to for a good laugh. While I didn't like the first book (The Rook) as much, I found this one hard to put down from the very first moment.

Sometimes when you come across a book that fits your current mood, everything about it makes sense. I was desperately in need of a laugh when I picked up this book and went into it not expecting much, but as I started reading, humor and alt-history got to me. More on that below.

This serie
Ashley
I liked this, even though it is pretty different from The Rook. Maybe because it's different? Nobody likes a re-tread. Spoilers for The Rook to follow, though, so don't read if you're planning on starting this series.

Myfanwy, the main character from The Rook, is here, and she even gets some POV, but the majority of narrative real estate belongs to Felicity and Odette. Felicity Clements is a Pawn from the Checquy, and Odette Lelefield is a Grafter. We see the story from both their perspectives as
Paul
Dec 08, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5 stars rounded down

a decent follow up to the rook but the rook was exceptional and the second volume was just really good.
Mikhail
Feb 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So, take however much you liked The Rook, take off half a star, and that is how much you will like Stiletto.

The Good
First and foremost, O'Malley is a master of language, and of human observation. His tone reminds me of Terry Pratchett, a kind of sly, irreverent humor that teases humanity but nevertheless is basically good-natured and genial (Contrast Jonathan Howard, who also has a similar sense of humor, but is rather sharper about it).

Past that, O'Malley does plots and characterization both ve
Anya
Apr 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Ummmmm, something is really lost without Myfanway as the main character. The humor mostly. I was pretty bored a fair amount of the time sadly. We find out a lot about the Grafters and that's interesting, but the mystery is revealed too soon and then I just felt nothing :(.
Andrew
Aug 28, 2013 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
"The Rook" was amazing, so I can't wait to read this.
Helen
Jun 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well this was fun. It's written in the same, witty way as The Rook although this time without the elements that irritated me. That said, Britain doesn't have a current King!

Myfanwy features in the novel but our main protagonists are a pawn and a Grafter. Exciting times follow.
  • Chaos Choreography (InCryptid, #5)
  • The Hanging Tree (Peter Grant, #6)
  • Revisionary (Magic Ex Libris, #4)
  • Four Roads Cross (Craft Sequence, #5)
  • London Falling
  • The Wall of Storms (The Dandelion Dynasty, #2)
  • Crosstalk
  • Scourged (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #9)
  • Hounacier (Valducan, #2)
  • California Bones (Daniel Blackland, #1)
  • Dark Ascension (Generation V, #4)
  • City of Blades (The Divine Cities, #2)
  • Pride's Spell (Sin du Jour, #3)
  • The Thousand and One (The Crescent Moon Kingdoms, #2)
  • Borderline (The Arcadia Project, #1)
  • Dangerous Spirits (Spirits #2)
  • The Shambling Guide to New York City (The Shambling Guides, #1)
  • Burned (Alex Verus, #7)
Dan O'Malley graduated from Michigan State University and earned a Master's Degree in medieval history from Ohio State University. He then returned to his childhood home, Australia. He now works for the Australian Transport Safety Bureau, writing press releases for government investigations of plane crashes and runaway boats.
More about Daniel O'Malley

The Checquy Files (2 books)
  • The Rook (The Checquy Files, #1)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
  • Dread Nation
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
  • Six Wakes
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
  • Midnight Robber
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Lion of Senet (Second Sons Trilogy, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“Plus, anyone who wants to clone himself is usually an asshole. You don’t want any more of those running around than absolutely necessary.” “So” 10 likes
“If Judas Iscariot were alive, and a woman, and attending formal functions, wearing this dress would still represent a disproportionate punishment for his sins.” “Her” 9 likes