Start by marking “Words on Bathroom Walls” as Want to Read:

Words on Bathroom Walls

Adam has just been diagnosed with schizophrenia. He sees and hears people who aren’t there: Rebecca, a beautiful girl who understands him; the Mob Boss, who harasses him; and Jason, the naked guy who’s unfailingly polite. It should be easy to separate the real from the not real, but Adam can't.

Still, there’s hope. As Adam starts fresh at a new school, he begins a drug tri
Published July 4th 2017 by Random House Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Words on Bathroom Walls, please sign up.
Merry Love I'm not sure if I fully understand your question, so I'll try my best. People with schizophrenia who are not on medication have difficulty telling…moreI'm not sure if I fully understand your question, so I'll try my best. People with schizophrenia who are not on medication have difficulty telling between what is real and what is not. However, part of what medication does is takes them a step back so that they can better analyze what may be real and what's not. In the book, that is what happens. His medication is what has helped him to learn that some of his recurring people (like Rebecca and the Mob Boss mentioned in the description) are not real.(less)
Merry Love
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Emma Giordano
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm so pleasantly surprised with how much I enjoyed this book. A funny, honest, and relatable read depicting what it's like to live with mental illness.

CW: schizophrenia

Words on Bathroom Walls is told through journal entries Adam is writing to his therapist, as he remains non-verbal during their sessions. It took me a bit to adjust to the storytelling method. While most journal/diary novels are directed at the journal itself or anyone who is reading it, Adam's passages are directed at one specif
Lola
Jan 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Adam is schizophrenic.

For those who haven’t read much about this mental illness and perhaps do not fully understand it, this is such an important book.

I am one of those people. Correction, I WAS one of those people.

The first time I met a schizophrenic character was a few years ago by watching Grey’s Anatomy. In the episode in question, the guy suffering from this illness was very unpredictable and aggressive.

And I admit, I was afraid of the guy and afraid for those who came in contact with hi
Elena
May 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
EDIT [December 8, 2018]: JUST FOUND OUT THIS IS AN UPCOMING MOVIE! These news have been out since May of this year but I'm just finding out. I'm ashamed of myself too.

I should just be proud of myself because I don't avoid going to places or doing things simply because I'm not sure if what's going on is real. If it's real, then I'm just living my life and responding to the world the only way I can. If none of this is real, then I'm still just living my life.
And anyway, it's real to me.

Adam has ju
C.G. Drews
This was beautiful and heartbreaking and brutally honest and so so so good. Which is a freaking RELIEF because I preordered this back in July and it just arrived this week...like 3 months later. Thanks Australian bookstores. You're the best. BECAUSE IT DOESN'T FREAK ME OUT NOT KNOWING WHEN MY BOOKS ARE ARRIVE YEP IT'S OK I'M FINE I'M FINE I CAN BREATHE NOW.

+ It's about schizophrenia.
Which, like any mental health condition, is a huge spectrum. I've read quite a few books in schizophrenia that I r
Larry H
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it

I'd rate this 4.5 stars.

Adam has recently been diagnosed with schizophrenia. He knew something was wrong with him, and he's both horrified and relieved to know what it is. As much as it hurt to lose his friends, who all stopped talking to him after his diagnosis, he has a chance for a new start—he's going to attend a new school as a junior, and he's been enrolled in a promising drug trial which hopefully will help him manage his illness, or at least alleviate the anxiety he feels when he sees t
abby
Apr 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
"You can't possibly know what it means to doubt everything."

Adam is starting a new experimental drug, ToZaPrex, to help him control his schizophrenia. He's also starting a new school, where his illness won't be known to his peers, and he has a new therapist who lets him write letters instead of talking during sessions. All in all, not so bad, considering. But no matter how high the dosage, his delusions never fade. There's still Rebecca, the constant presence in his life who seems to silently mi
Aj the Ravenous Reader

An elaborate look into Adam’s schizophrenic mind. The reading experience is extraordinary. It was hilarious, heartbreaking and yet once again, very eye-opening.

“Harry ended up being fine. Nobody sent him to therapy or tried to give him pills. He just got to live in a world where everything he thought he’d heard and seen turned out to be real. Lucky bastard.”

It reminds me of Made You Up by Francesca Zappia which is up to now still in my top five favorite YA contemporaries and which portrayed a
Danielle ❤️ Pretty Mess Reading ❤️
****4 STARS****

Reviews and more at https://prettymessreading.com

I have a brother who has paranoia schizophrenia and he was diagnosed in his mid 20’s. We’ve had our ups and downs since so this book hit home for me.

Adam has tried everything under the sun to help live with schizophrenia but so far nothing has really worked. We gets a chance to be apart of a clinical trial for a new drug, it was a game changer. The medicine helps but the side effects may cost him more than just his mental well being
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

“J. K. Rowling is a fucking genius. Anyone who doesn’t think so is crazy.”

^If the above doesn’t make all you nerds fall in love with Adam, you’re probably wasting your time here.

Alright. This is it. This is my #1 YA of the year. Pretty bold statement since there’s still 3+ months to go, but I’m putting it out there. I also just finished this (locked in a spare office on my lunch hour while skipping a “team luncheon”) and am alread
Inge
Words on Bathroom Walls is the story of Adam, a boy with schizophrenia who’s put on an experimental drug in the hopes of dialling down the hallucinations. He sees and hears things he shouldn’t, and if only he were Harry Potter, these visions would actually be real. But they’re not, so he’s put into therapy. His journey on this drug is told via a series of journal entries addressed to his therapist.

I was really interested in reading Words on Bathroom Walls because as far as mental illnesses go, s
Tijana
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
ARC provided via NetGalley.
Yet, my weaping in this review has nothing to do with it. Because this book! Oh boy.

I'm crying.
And laughing.
Hugging my blanket with a disturbed smile on my face.

This book is about Adam.
Adam is a "schizo".
And Adam wishes he were Harry Potter, because when Harry heard voices, they turned out to be real.
But he isn't. And that's why whenever he thinks someone is watching him, he says to himself he must be hallucinating, because he's not interesting - why would anyone want
Sana
Aug 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommended to Sana by: Elena
3.5

well I binged this and it was great. I just didn't like the romance between Maya and Adam and it was a bit boring for me because contemporary isn't really my genre.
RM(Alwaysdaddygirl) Griffin (alwaysdaddyprincess)
It does show the reality of having any mental illness.

I struggled with this book. The first few times I hate it. There are countless things about this book I question.

However, the stigma associated with having a mental illness is correct. That is why I kept at this book. I also like the ending for it was realistic. This is why I give it four stars.
🇺🇸🤙
Kat
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library-n
Really great look at schizophrenia and the stress of living with a chronic condition for which there is no known cure. I think that’s really helpful especially since so many of the sentiments expressed here can be applied across multiple medical conditions. A lot of times in books we read that bright ending, or a magic potion at the end, but in reality, many conditions don’t currently have solutions and it’s important to have literature out there where we can see characters facing that on the pa ...more
Chelsea
Jun 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So, this is my first five star book of the year. Yes, it is June and I have read over 60 other books. I’m really picky about my five stars, and I don’t think that’s a bad thing. This book wholeheartedly deserves the five stars it is getting.

This is a mental health novel (which are honestly my favorite books) following a teenage boy coping with his diagnosis of schizophrenia as he starts a new school. He begins to make connections with the new people at school, but fears of them learning of his
Masooma
Apr 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I prefer “crazy” to “mentally ill.” Sounds more dignified.

Words on Bathroom Walls is a really good read about a schizophrenic child who talks to the reader via journal entries to his therapist. The main character is a sweetheart and he explains his condition in with such a vivid manner that you can understand what he’s going through.

Basically, the novel portrays the ugly side of his mental illness. In that, Adam describes the searing intensity of other people’s hatred for him, their fear of suc
Coreen  (AsThePlotThickens)
Dec 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
“I get it now. It's hard to let someone find you in all the dark and twisty places inside, but eventually, you have to hope that they do, because that's the beginning of everything.”

This is my first read for 2018 and it astonished the heck out of me. It's surprising how few people read this amazing book that gave depth to schizophrenia in more ways possible. Adam's journal entries are raw and honest, they made things easier for the reader to have a path into his mind. I honestly have no idea
may ❀
book #6 done for the booktubeathon ✔

i FRICKEN LOVE THIS BOOK

what an eye-opening, heartbreaking, honest, and raw book like i can not get over how well written and descriptive and powerful this book was

im so glad i decided to read it bc wow im impressed

4.5 stars!!
Nadia Awadi
Aug 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
warning: why do I have to start this review with a warning ? I am perfectly fine. I am not a crying-emotional mess because of how amazing this book was, nor am I thinking about drowning in choclate, while trying to forget about it, nor am I.......You have been warned.

And the award for the 6th book that made me cry in my entire-freaking-life goes to:
description

The kind-of-sane part of this review:

Adam:
Adam, is our main character. God, did I want to hug him until he couldn't br
Anja V
there's not much that's more satisfying than picking up a book on a whim and ending up loving it

____

Before I start writing this review, I would like to mention that I do not know enough about schizophrenia to judge how accurate the portrayal was in this book. My whole knowledge about it extends to my occasionally watching this youtube channel from a guy who has schizophrenia himself and talks about what exactly that means and how it affects his life. It's really interesting and I would recommen
Rissa
Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5 ⭐
Gives you an in depth look inside the mind of a schizophrenic teenage boy. I adore this book! Im a sucker for mental illness books especially when done accurately yet interesting.
I really enjoyed that Adam could talk and interact with his hallucinations. I also loved how the author delt with his friends finding out about his disorder at the end. This book tugged on my heart, made me laugh, think, reflect on my own life. It was beautifully done and i will read whatever she puts out next!

"Ive
Julie   (*Happily Ever Chapter*)
Adam is a teenager with schizophrenia, and volunteers to try an experimental drug called ToZaPrex to help him cope with his visions and voices. He had an episode at his previous school that forced him to transfer to a new school. He wants this new school to be a fresh start for him, especially when he meets Maya, who eventually becomes his girlfriend. He doesn't tell Maya or his new friends about his schizophrenia because part of him is hoping that the experimental drug will fix it and he won't ...more
Gray Cox
DNFed last month at 230 pages because content.

I picked it up again this month and finished it. It has a very good, tear-jerking story but sadly I feel the crudeness in the sexual scenes and the cursing took away from the meaning, at least for me. :/
Līga Sproģe
Mar 18, 2017 marked it as to-read
"Fans of More Happy Than Not, The Perks of Being a Wallflower, and It’s Kind of a Funny Story..."

HAHAHAAAAAAA is that combination even survivable??
Catherine
Swetlana (The Caffeinated Bookworm Life)
This is the second review you’ll read from me where I don’t know how to write it, but unlike my previous one (where I loved the book) the reasons for me not knowing how to write this are entirely different. I got approved for this eARC via NetGalley and finally read it. Words On Bathroom Walls was a book I didn’t enjoy from pretty much the get-go. I even considered DNFing it multiple times but finished reading it in the end.

The usage of the word ‘crazy’

I was really uncomfortable with the way th
Celine
May 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review-copies
Ladies and gentlemen I want to present you all my new favourite book.

Words on bathroom walls tells the story of Adam who has schizophrenia and is taking the experimental medication ToZaPrex to help him control his mental illness. On top of this he’s starting a new school where he tries to hide his illness as much as he can. He’s also seeing a therapist but Adam refuses to talk so instead he writes letters.

I must say I had my doubts before starting this book. I am diagnosed with schizophrenia and
Samantha (WLABB)
Rating: 4.5 Stars

I cried my mascara off there towards the end. They were happy-sad-mad tears. I loved Adam. His voice was so clear. He made me laugh and he made my heart ache. And I loved that Walton put someone like Maya in his life. When you find people like that, you hold on with both hands. I feel like schizophrenia is like a lot of conditions that are poorly represented in movies and TV - misunderstood, and I am glad Walton shed some light on this illness. There are going to be quite a few
Dayle (the literary llama)
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
I feel like there have been a slew of Young Adult books lately that all have something to do with Mental Illness. There's nothing wrong with that, just noting that it's a really popular subject at the moment, and with so many to choose from and read, I have become incredibly particular and picky in this sub-genre. So when I say that I loved WORDS ON BATHROOM WALLS and easily gave it 5 stars, I hope you can understand just how much I enjoyed this book and how high a rating that really is.

I should
Mic
What an unexpected delightful read! Adam's voice is addicting--sarcastic and heartfelt all at once.

The cast of characters are lovely, most especially Adam's mom and step-dad (can they adopt me?), and his imaginary friends quiet and expressive Rebecca and perpetually naked Jason. [Note: Rebecca is not a manic pixie dream girl, as kinda hinted at in the above blurb].

Much love for this book! I can't wait for everyone to read it and discover its magic for themselves. Also, probably have some cooki
Mental Health Boo...: July fiction: Words on Bathroom Walls 17 54 Aug 27, 2018 06:56PM
Uppercase YA Subs...: Words on Bathroom Walls by Julia Walton 1 5 Jan 20, 2018 06:03PM

• Ten Miles One Way
  • Bang
  • The Weight of Zero
  • Crazy Messy Beautiful
  • Wild Bird
  • One More Little Problem (Zelah Green, #2)
  • Us, in Progress: Short Stories About Young Latinos
  • Sleuth on Skates
  • If This Were a Story
  • Jasmine Skies
  • Braced
  • Never Ending
  • The Art of Starving
Julia Walton received her MFA in creative writing from Chapman University. When she's not reading or baking cookies, she's indulging in her profound love of Swedish Fish, mechanical pencils, and hobbit-sized breakfasts. Julia lives in Huntington Beach, California, with her husband and daughter.
“It's a very strange reality when you can't trust yourself. There's no foundation for anything. The faith I might have had in normal things like gravity or logic or love is gone because my mind might not be reading them correctly. You can't possibly know what it means to doubt everything. To walk into a room full of people and pretend that it's empty because you're not actually sure if it is or not.

To never feel completely alone even when you are.”
25 likes