Start by marking “My Kind of Crazy” as Want to Read:
My Kind of Crazy

My Kind of Crazy

Despite the best of intentions, seventeen-year old, wisecracking Hank Kirby can’t quite seem to catch a break. It’s not that he means to screw things up all the time, it just happens. A lot. Case in point: his attempt to ask out the girl he likes literally goes up in flames when he spells “Prom” in sparklers on her lawn…and nearly burns down her house.

As if that wasn’t
Published April 5th 2016 by Sourcebooks Fire

To ask other readers questions about My Kind of Crazy, please sign up.
Robin Reul Thank you so much! I do indeed! I am currently working on another contemporary YA (not a sequel to MKOC). Look for it hopefully sometime next year!
Robin Reul No, not GBLT specific - it's a layered YA contemporary with male/female romance.

Start your review of My Kind of Crazy
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to SOURCEBOOKS Fire and NetGalley.)

“I’d read online that how you ask a girl to prom can completely make or break a guy’s chances. I wanted to do something special that Amanda would never forget. Apparently it worked, just not the way I intended.”

This was a YA contemporary story about a boy who accidentally set fire to a tree whilst trying to ask a girl to prom.

The characters in this were alright, but I
Amanda
Jun 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
Thank you to Sourcebooks Fire & Robin Reul for my copy of the ARC in exchange for an honest review.

To be honest, I have been putting off reading this book for some time now as I went off the idea of it, so when I finally decided to give it a shot I didn't have high hopes but I was pleasantly surprised I really liked it and wish I read it sooner so my rating would be a 3.5 stars.

Hank lost his brother & mum in a horrible car accident when he was younger, while he's still coming to terms
Brittany (Brittany's Book Rambles)
4.5/5 Stars

My Kind of Crazy made me laugh so hard that I thought my sides were going to split. At the same time, it made me feel sad and got me to really think about all the types of families there are, and all the different walks of life people come from. Robin Reul truly knows how to find humor in a dark place, and her book is a charming and heartbreaking read that depicts a side of high school that is rarely shown. Somehow, Reul managed to highlight important life issues, while also keeping
Kelly Hager
Jun 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I know that it's really lazy to compare books to movies and to be like, "Oh, this is just like [whatever]." I know. But while reading this, it felt like I was watching a John Hughes movie. Which is really weird because I know those movies so well that there aren't really surprises in them and everything about this book felt like the best kind of surprise.

But this struck the feeling that I have with his movies, the weird combination of people being just as flawed and weird and (to sub from the
Jamie (Books and Ladders)
Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review

The main takeaway from this story is that everyone deserves a chance and everyone is capable of love, even if they have never received it before. Also, don't set fires. And if you light a candle make sure you blow it out before even closing your eyes for sleep. Pinky promise me you will do this.

I loved that the story was predictable and yet not. I guessed some of the things that were to happen but others caught me by
Laurie Flynn
Aug 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
When I saw the deal announcement for this book, I went kind of, well, crazy. I was absolutely dying to read it. That concept! That voice! Plus, the use of the word “promposal,” which is just awesome. And while attending ALA Midwinter in Boston, I was lucky enough to scoop up an ARC.
And people, this book is every bit as crazy good as I hoped it would be.

Seventeen-year-old Hank Kirby meant for his attempt to ask beautiful Amanda Carlisle to prom to be romantic, not creepy and illegal. All he
Kurt Dinan
Nov 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Yeah, see, this is what I want from a novel. It's damn funny, fast-moving, honest, and, stealing from the title, kind of crazy. Hank comes across as a real teenage boy--confident, yet full of second guessing; funny, yet self-conscious; introspective, yet impulsive--and is so incredibly likable. With what I see as a glut of uber-serious YA novels, Reul's novel, which does have a serious side, also does not take itself too seriously, if that makes sense. I want more time with Hank and Peyton, I ...more
Jaime Arkin
Probably 3.5 stars!

This book was a bit of surprise for me! I honestly thought it was going to be a whole lot more light-hearted than it actually was. I mean… when it starts out with a guy who decides to ask the girl he’s been crushing on to prom by lighting sparklers in her lawn… and it ends up setting the whole yard on fire, I was expecting a lot of fun.

Now, don’t get me wrong, there was a lot of fun in this story, but there was also a lot of depth. Hank Kirby, while a bit of a screw-up (self
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘
Jan 28, 2016 marked it as lost-interest
Netgalley just told me that wishes came true. I'm kinda emotional right now.

#Squeeeeeeeeee
Laurence R.
Dec 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: to-review
Talk about a successful read! This was a fun, surprising and interesting book that made me forget all about the real world while I was lost in its universe.

The first thing I noticed about it was how realistic and authentic it was. Instead of reading about an attractive and popular character who's lucky in life, we discover a boy who lives a bit like an outcast, talking to a few people and trying to be unseen by his father most of the time. He doesn't have much luck at all, especially when the
Shaun Hutchinson
Dec 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My Kind of Crazy is wonderful. Robin Reul has managed to write a book that is equal parts funny and heartbreaking. Hank Kirby's voice is authentic. This isn't a book filled with perfect people, but rather with people who probably remind you of your friends (or at least people you'd want to be friends with). I went into this thinking it was going to be a lighthearted comedy, but I found so much depth to these characters. Peyton and Hank and Nick felt real to me. They're hilarious and they have ...more
H.B. Jasick
Dec 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes, somethings don't turn out exactly the way they are planned. When a promposal leads to the fire department being called, Hank Kirby is sure to be without luck, especially when he realizes there was a witness. What starts out as an attempt to keep the witness happy so that they don't tell, leads to a series of unfortunate, but hilarious situations that prove that his lack of luck might actually turn into him being truly lucky. A story of finding out who you are, finding what really ...more
Carrie
Feb 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Hank Kirby wanted to make a bold move to ask his dream girl to the prom, he decides to go to her house and spell out "prom" with sparklers in in her front yard. Unfortunately for Hank this wasn't the wisest choice as when the sparklers are lit they catch the dry grass on fire and quickly spread to a tree. Freaking out with what to do and hearing the sirens coming Hank makes a run for it only to find he'd dropped one of the sparkler boxes.

Going back to search for the missing box the next day
Ruth Lehrer
Dec 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to receive and ARC of this 2016 book. The smooth prose really reminds me of John Green's style. I loved the different levels of "truth" that the characters share with each other, peeling layers of confession, hurt and vulnerability. And funny!-- I especially love the first fire scene; a young crush gone awkward wrong. This YA debut is going places. 2016 look out!
Bee
Quite The Novel Idea ~ Words from the Clouds

What is up with all these good contemporaries this year? I'm scared for the day when this lucky streak is going to run out. Though My Kind of Crazy isn't quite up there with some of the other recent YA Contemporary books I've read, it's still pretty high up on the list. Speaking off, this will be another list review, as I find it easier to explain my feels about this particular book in that way.

I really loved the overall story. There was originality
Alex
Mar 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
I recieved this book via Net Galley in exchange for an honest review
One promposal goes up in flames, literally. Hank meets Peyton the day after his failed promposal. Peyton becomes a big part of Hank's life. Though, Peyton is not who Hank thinks he knows.

This story turns modern-day Cinderella when Amanda Carlisle creates a survey to find who the mysterious house-burner is. Hank becomes #456 to try to take Amanda to prom.

Reul took the time to describe her characters specifically their attire.
Paula
This book was crazy, but crazy good. "My Kind of Crazy" by Robin Reul surprised me. I had wanted to read it for a while and finally decided to do that. I expected it to be a YA rom com type of book, but I got way more than that. Don't get me wrong. It was funny. At times I was laughing tears. Being in the head of a teenage boy for the duration for a book is already funny in itself. If the boy is one who has the worst luck or the stupidest ideas - that will either leave you cringing or laughing. ...more
Trisha
Jul 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
"It can be a lonely friggin' road, Hank. But knowing you're not alone can carry you through some pretty dark places."

What a wonderful story. About being imperfect and being okay - and about friendship and family and love. This was a quick read - funny just when I needed it but serious about serious issues but showing that those issues don't have to define us. We all have quirks. Don't change who you are, find someone who loves your quirks.
Erica Chapman
Jun 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: loves, arcs
ARC REVIEW:

LOVED it!! So much character in this story. ADORE Hank! His voice made me laugh out loud a lot. This is full of charm, wit, and heart. I found myself rereading certain lines because I related to them so much. I was a fan when I read this intro in 2014 and now that I've read the whole thing I can say that Reul is now an insta-buy for me!!
Joshua Flores
Sep 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: physical-arcs
This book is now one of my all time favs. It is a blend of John green and Jennifer Niven, with a hint of David levithan. I loved it. From lighting a tree on fire to sneaking into a strip club, this book has it all. I laughed the entire time I read it and I enjoyed it so so much. What a wonderful and sentimental story of appreciating the crazy in us all.
Gae Polisner
Nov 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I read an early version of this book and it is poignant and ridiculously funny -- laugh out loud funny -- with quirky unique characters. Cannot wait to read the final version. You want to add this to your Must Read shelves.
Tom

Were I in high school, I would totally have a crush on Peyton Breedlove. She’s one of those weird girls who wears tee shirts emblazoned with 1970’s rock band logos, and ripped jeans with smiley faces drawn on her exposed knees. She refuses to eat fruits or vegetables with skins.

Oh, yeah. And she’s a pyromaniac.

We all have our faults, though, right?

However, it’s not Peyton that high school senior Hank Kirby has in his sights for a prom date. He wants to ask one of the hottest girls in school,
Alyssa Marie
Jan 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to NetGalley for my copy of My Kind of Crazy.

This was truly one of the best books I've read and I'm not even a big YA contemporary reader! I felt such a strong connection to this book. After finishing it, I feel uplifted and with a fresh outlook on life. It is a rare kind of book that can bring this sort of feeling to me. My Kind of Crazy reminded me a lot of John Green's novels - Hank's narration is so funny, witty, and profound. He is comical and sometimes sarcastic. The way the
Kris
Jan 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
(Thanks to Sourcebooks Fire and NetGalley, I received an ebook copy of this book for free to review.)

At first, I thought this was just going to be a silly little love story, but about 20% in I realized that wasn’t going to be the case at all. I also thought it had a similar plot line to another book I had read recently, again I was wrong. The two main characters are extremely relatable.
The author has a way of making light of tough situations, but not undermining the feelings involved. The
Amirah I.
"Everybody needs someone who gets their kind of crazy, right? That doesn't come along every day."

(Advance digital copy provided by Netgalley)

This book started off with a promposal- that went totally wrong! A supposedly romantic gesture has turned into a tragedy when Hank almost burned down the lawn of the girl he's trying to ask to prom. And there's a witness: Peyton The Cray Cray. She's a weird, friendless girl who happened to be at the crime scene at that time and Hank has to do whatever it
Kristy Mauna
My Kind of Crazy was a good story full of all the right emotions, honest characters, and a few shocking twists!

"It's like they transform from being beautiful to ugly and distorted. There's a different kind of beauty in that, I think. Everything beautiful can be ugly, and everything ugly can be beautiful. It's all perspective."

This book is hilarious! We meet our main character, Hank, as he is lighting the sparklers he's using to spell out 'PROM' for his crush. . . I immediately loved the guy!
Alicia
Jan 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was provided an ARC from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review

"The minute you came into my life, everything went batshit crazy. Good batshit crazy. It's like it went from black and white to color. I'm not just giving up and walking away because you're the best thing that ever happened to me."

I'm not really sure how to explain my feelings for this book except for:

I finished this book in one day I just couldn't put it down! The book starts off right away showing the clumsy, nerdy Hank.
Wendy
Lees mijn Nederlandse recensie hier: https://raisingmybook.wordpress.com/2...

I wished for this book on Netgalley because the synopsis got to me. It seemed a playful read and also very unique. So I started reading and it turned out this book blew me away.

First of all; I really love Hank, the main character. He is a sweet but maybe a bit of a crazy guy. Besides, he is quite witty. His hilarity really was the best thing in the book. He didn’t just make the usual jokes, but also a lot of
Tammy Rosenfeld
Dec 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding, fast read! You don't have to be a teenager to love this story. This not-so-young-adult is a sucker for a good love story; not your average, predictable sappy, happy love story, but a unique, 'real' love story filled with flawed, believable, beautifully written characters. Reul delivers this and so much more. I immediately became invested in the characters along with their quirks and personal struggles. I found myself needing to know what happens next at the end of every chapter, ...more

• The Stand-In
  • Slaying Year Two (Grim Reaper Academy #2)
  • Minders
  • That's Not What I Heard
  • Sleep, Baby, Sleep
  • Mama, Do You Love Me?
  • I’m not dying with you tonight
  • Clash (Academy of Unpredictable Magic, #6)
  • Bless Your Heart (Fairy Tales of a Trailer Park Queen, #1)
  • Tinsel in a Tangle (Fairy Tales of a Trailer Park Queen, #2)
  • Rest in Pieces (Barbie: The Vampire Hunter #1)
  • Fat Angie: Rebel Girl Revolution
  • Unpregnant (Unpregnant, #1)
  • Hunt (Academy of Unpredictable Magic, #5)
  • Clutch
  • These Things I've Done
  • In Sight of Stars
  • The Only Thing Worse Than Me Is You
Robin Reul has been writing since she was in early elementary school, when she used to make her own book club flyers for her classmates and then pen them original stories. Though she grew up on movie sets and after graduating Boston University she worked for many years in the film and television industry both as an actress and in motion picture development, she ultimately decided to focus her ...more
“There are so many things in life that you simply can't control. You just have to accept them, even if they don't make sense.” 5 likes
“None of it matters, and all of it matters too much.” 4 likes