Start by marking “Longing for Paris: One Woman's Search for Joy, Beauty, and Adventure--Right Where She Is” as Want to Read:

For anyone who has ever daydreamed of another life . . .
Most days, you wouldn't trade what you have for the world. You love your husband and your kids, and you are grateful to God for your life. But there are days when you feel as though life is rolling over you in waves and you are just going through the motions. You find yourself aching for something more, something that
Published August 4th 2015 by Tyndale Momentum

To ask other readers questions about Longing for Paris, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Longing for Paris

Ginger
Mar 14, 2016 rated it did not like it
This book was milk, not meat. And like, really really watered down skim milk at that.

Let's start with the subtitle, shall we? This was not a woman's search for joy, beauty, or adventure. There was very very little searching, joy, beauty, or adventure in this book, at least none that I detected she found. It seemed to be a musing of these dreams deferred. Nothing at all wrong with that. That can be real life at times, but that was not at all what the title or description seemed to lay out as a th
Feb 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was one of those books, where there really wasn't anything wowing or amazing about it, yet I found that it was very relatable and helpful during this time in my life. Now, even though months have passed since last reading it, I can still remember the difference that it made in my life, the encouragement I felt from the words, and the fun I had while I read it. Maybe it's only a four star read, but I gave it five because it made a lasting impression on me.
Scarlett Pierson
Nov 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book. I feel Sarah is my kindred spirit and that gives me hope that I am not alone in this place. Sometimes my longings bog me down and distract me from what's right in front of me which is a hard place to live.
If you are in a place of discontent and you keep saying to yourself, if I could runaway...., read this book.
Lisa
Jun 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Ah, Paris. The word itself makes me sigh, just hearing it. And if I hadn't had the unforgettable opportunity to visit Paris in college while I studied for a semester in England, the longing might be unbearable.

Okay, so there's still a part of me that dreams of going back, this time with my love by my side. Isn't it tragic that my husband and I have been to Paris separately, in our youth, but never together? Tragic, I tell you.

There's something about Paris that hits on my longing for adventure an
Becky Holland
Sep 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Longing for Paris by Sarah Mae, Tyndale Publishing,ISBN-10: 1414372612, ISBN-13: 978-1414372617

Life sometimes just overwhelms, you know? Sure, there are the days when things are going hunky dorky and you are happy. You wouldn't want to do anything about life differently. You are having a great hair day. The dogs are getting a long and have not eaten your shoestrings. You are caught up on your work. Things are just great.

But then there are days that you just want to curl up in a ball and cry. You
Amy
Feb 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was pleasantly surprised and encouraged by this book! I hope to go back through it slowly (I gobbled it up pretty quickly!), because there are many areas I'd like to highlight and think on a bit more. Sarah Mae's love of Jesus comes through strong and clear and I loved that about her writing. No guessing games or secular spins on spiritual things...straight forward and honest. I really, REALLY, love her emphasis on God's beauty, goodness, and how beauty originates with God. This was a great re ...more
Katie W
This book hugely encouraged and reminded me to live wholeheartedly right where I am at now - to fully savor life.
Renee K
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As a Christian, a mom and a therapist, I have read a lot of parenting books and spiritually encouraging books focusing on the role of mom and wife. This is, so far, one of the best of them. Sarah Mae focuses on biblical teaching that both underly and can remedy the feeling of longing so many moms have between their actual life with kids verses the other longings of their hearts that don't seem to fit with the mom life. This is a book I am sure to refer to both for Sarah Mae's words and for some ...more
Jeannette
Aug 31, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
My low rating is not a reflection on this book or the author. It is due to my own negligence in not reading the synopsis or reviews before I dug in. If I had done so, I would have known this book is not for me.

This book is for you if you are one or all of the following:

1) bible-studying Christian female
2) stay-at-home mom
3) home-schooling mom

None of which I am, so again my fault for not knowing this ahead of time. This book is full of bible verses and scriptures, and a lot of preaching about a w
Kayla
Jul 25, 2019 marked it as abandoned  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Perhaps it was because I was listening to it as an audiobook, rather than reading it, but it felt very disjointed. It was almost as if she had these little excerpts as little blog posts and then just copy and pasted them into chapters. I don't know if that is the case or not, but that's how it felt. Admittedly, I didn't get very far, which is why I didn't feel right to assign a star rating. I did take away one thing though...whenever I think "what if..." (and subsequently spiral) I ought to imme ...more
Renata Shura
Apr 25, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
half a star If I could.

How does something this terribly written get published? I should have counted the number of times she used the word soul in the most cliche sense. I don't mind Bible quotes and deep soul searching, in fact I was looking for some enlightenment, but sorry...this isn't it. A string of questions without any thoughtful analysis does not make a compelling read. Perhaps this is because the author is what...in her 20s? How much living has she done? Big disappointment!
Dec 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, favorites
I got this book because I thought it was about a woman finding joy, beauty, and adventure in PARIS. It is a long life dream of mine to visit the city of lights. That is not what this book was about! BUT.... It was a great read. The author speaks to you about finding those things in your life now, right where you are. She's a Christian and everything she points out points back to Him. She is also a homeschooling mom who understands mommy burnout. Great read for those mommy's who are on their last ...more
Michelle Griswold
It took me FOREVER to finish this book and has led me to making a resolution to not finish books just for the sake of finishing them.

I kept waiting, longing perhaps for this book to reveal something. It felt like the author was always on the cusp of something but never really got there. The title left me with unmet expectations. It was flat.
Kathy
Jul 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Overall a great book about finding your dream in the circumstance you are in. I think it would be great for young Moms particularly as she shares ideas she used with her own family when they were young.
sierra
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Such an awesome book!! I had trouble putting it down! It says for moms but honestly it can be for anyone who feels the dream of escaping their everyday life! If you feel unappreciated or stuck in your normal life then you need to pick up this book!!
Jolene Rose
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was encouraged by Sarah Mae's message to look for beauty, joy, and fun right there in the midst of our everyday live. I enjoyed reading this book.
Dorette Skinner
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very relatable

I'm mostly still in the midst of the phases of life, marriage and motherhood that she describes in retrospection. But it's hopeful to know there is so much to these 'longings' and I feel inspired to find my own 'Paris' or at least be more intentional to find joy in this season.
Elizabeth
Aug 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
We all have longings for something else. "The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence" type longings. Sarah Mae shows us her search for joy, beauty, and adventure - right where she is.

Page xx "I wanted to get out of the dailiness of life and into an adventure. I wanted to travel and see and touch and do, but my life didn't afford me that luxury. I couldn't just up and leave my family in order to figure out what was going on in my soul."

I so could have written that. This speaks t
Susie
Mar 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Such a good positive message for young women...finding happiness ("Paris ") in your own present life. I'll pass this on to my daughter, as I think she'll really enjoy it!
Andrea
Dec 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Longing For Paris by Sarah Mae
ISBN: 978-1-4143-7261-7
Christian Life/Women
Retails for: $15.99

About:
This book is about one woman's very emotional journey to find inner peace with herself, her past and her life with lessons she's learned from her experiences as a child, a mother, a wife and a Christian. She dreams of a life in Paris.. but what she finds that she's truly longing for is much deeper.

Sometimes, I find myself so busy, that I wish that I could just hit pause, and go on a vacation. A lav
Just Commonly
Jan 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
"Yes, I want Paris, the real Paris and all the exciting things that Paris represents. But at the end of the day, I have discovered that these desires are pointing to something else." (XX)

This is not a book about Paris, but more. And what are those desires?

Sarah is honest and straightforward with longings and her vulnerabilities, as a wife and a mother. Yes, she's longing for Paris, but she's also longing for adventure and change and something she can't really pin-point. O, yeah, joy. The deep jo
Aurelia Mast-glick
Jul 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wow, this is a really great book. I'm not finished reading it, in fact I'm not even half way through the book, but I just need to talk about it. This is the story/journey of Sarah Mae to living intentionally. That's my term for it. Sarah wants to go to Paris, but her family's budget has no room for such trips right now and so she has endeavored to make her own Paris right in her own hometown in Lancaster County, PA. To keep herself from going stir-crazy, she is seeking to live out her dreams whi ...more
Nicki
Jul 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Longing for Paris by Sarah Mae is one of those books you want to read slowly. Take your time. Fix coffee and find a cozy seat. Pick up a journal and a pen that you love. Grab some index cards or post-its or whatever you find yourself sticking around your house covered with Scripture, because that is what you're going to want to do. I really enjoyed this book for several reasons.

First of all, Sarah Mae is extremely transparent and honest (two qualities I appreciated in the book she co-authored w
Naomi
Aug 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: faith, parenting, women, 2015
Sarah Mae's latest book, "Longing for Paris: One Woman's Search for Joy, Beauty, and Adventure--Right Where She Is", focuses on that longing for something for more than life as usual. For Sarah, that something more comes in the form of Paris. She became fascinated by Paris as a child, listening to stories told by her grandmother and mother of the years they spent living there. "It is this longing for Paris that leads me to explore my deeper longings" (p. xxv). Sarah takes nine chapters to examin ...more
Danielle
Aug 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book from the moment I started it - there is a sweet mix of practical advice and storytelling! Sarah Mae is somebody whose words I can read and automatically feel at home with, the storytelling makes me feel like I know her personally and make me want to take the ideas from this book to action right away! Her words resonate with me and the questions at the end of each chapter left me with thoughts and dreams of what I'm longing for! The first few chapters were lovely to read on how ...more
Edythe Hamilton
Dec 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
Longing for Paris by Sarah Mae
Tyndale Momentum
“What my longings, and why are they there?
We do not walk alone.”
The Catalyst, pages xxv, xxvi – Sarah Mae

Sarah’s parents lived on the outskirts of Paris conveying its beauty, the food and lives that created a yearning and goal to visit someday.

Desperately seeking what she meant to God as a woman, Sarah used 2 Samuel and the Book of Job from the Bible as guidance. Ms. Mae compared feelings and question, her longings and wants regarding her purpose as
Janet Reeves
Jul 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Sarah Mae longs to visit Paris, a city her own mother lived in for a few years and told her stories about, capturing her imagination and her heart. But Sarah has family and ministry and a life to live in the city where she is. Sarah wants both. This wrestling with desires that seem incompatible for the time being has led her to write an amazing book, Longing for Paris: One Woman’s Search for Joy, Beauty, and Adventure—Right Where She Is. I’m so glad I got to read it!

Sarah begins by telling reade
Jenna
Nov 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book hit me at exactly the right time - I love it when God does that! Not only do Sarah Mae's words inspire me to search for the beauty in the everyday (bring Paris to my life right where I am!), but she also exhorts me to seek God's presence more than I seek any other dream.

I felt such joy & freedom reading Sarah's thoughts on how God is the ultimate source of our heart's deepest longings. I struggle so often with the fear that my dreams and desires are selfish and should be shoved as
Joanne Viola
Jul 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
As I read, Longing for Paris by Sarah Mae, I realized the beauty which has been found in my everyday life. The longings which I thought were in my heart to pursue other avenues, truly has been met and fulfilled while I have been in the midst of raising them.

Longing for Paris is a quick read as it is hard to put the book down. It is also a slow read as I found myself savoring the words before me like a warm and soothing cup of coffee.

Nothing in this life will ever completely satisfy. He places pe
Dianna
Nov 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Something kept tugging at me to read this book. Every time I turned around it was in front of me. This book was once again a timely book. It was refreshing and helped to remind me that I could have my little piece of Paris right here. For me its not Paris but just to travel. My longing is to go to England, Scotland and Ireland. Among other places but those are the first ones on my personal list. So being able to be content with where I am in life is priceless.

This book was what my soul needed wh

• Own Your Life: How to Grow a Legacy of Faith, Love, and Spiritual Influence
  • Roots and Sky: A Journey Home in Four Seasons
  • Love Idol: Letting Go of Your Need for Approval - and Seeing Yourself Through God's Eyes
  • Out of the House of Bread: Satisfying Your Hunger for God with the Spiritual Disciplines
  • Why Motherhood Matters: An Invitation to Purposeful Parenting
  • True You: Letting Go of Your False Self to Uncover the Person God Created
  • Unafraid: Trusting God in an Unsafe World
  • Listen, Love, Repeat: Other-Centered Living in a Self-Centered World
  • Blue Like Play Dough: The Shape of Motherhood in the Grip of God
  • Keeping Place: Reflections on the Meaning of Home
  • Scribbling in the Sand
  • Unsinkable Faith: God-Filled Strategies to Transform the Way You Think, Feel, and Live
  • Approaching the Heart of Prophecy: A Journey Into Encouragement, Blessing, and Prophetic Gifting
  • Caught Up in a Story: Fostering a Storyformed Life of Great Books & Imagination with Your Children
  • Finding the Love of Jesus from Genesis to Revelation
  • English Lessons: The Crooked Path of Growing Toward Faith
  • Voice in the Night: The True Story of a Man and the Miracles That Are Changing Africa
  • Guerrillas of Grace
Sarah Mae is the author of the book, The Complicated Heart: Loving Even When it Hurts, a story about how Sarah learned to love and forgive her alcoholic mother.

Sarah is the host of The Complicated Heart podcast, she speaks all over the country encouraging women to walk in freedom, and she wrangles three extroverted kids, a naughty yellow lab, and new husky puppy, because obviously she loves chaos.
“The Bible says that without vision a people perish (see Proverbs 29:18, KJV). We need our dreams to give us the motivation to have a plan so that we can keep on. With no vision and no dreams and no longings, we lack the ability to creatively and joyously make plans for how we will spend our days. Granted, the Lord directs our steps, but we faithfully begin the walking of them.” 0 likes