Start by marking “A Casual Thing (Will & Patrick, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Casual Thing (Will & Patrick, #1)

A Casual Thing

(Will & Patrick #1)

Patrick Mason travels to Bristol to spend the summer with his brother, Ben. He’s cat sitting for the first two weeks while Ben goes on holiday. But Ben neglected to tell him he wouldn’t be doing it alone. Will Adams—Ben’s mate and Patrick’s long-time crush—is staying in Ben’s guest room while he waits to move into his new house after a breakup.

Against his better judgment,
Published July 1st 2015 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about A Casual Thing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Casual Thing

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
~3.5~

If you like light, low angst stories with a sprinkle of smexy and a side of British boys, look no further.

Annabelle Jacobs' writing is addictive. It's like licking an ice cream cone. Before you know it, you're done and sticky.

Patrick has had an unrequited crush on his older brother's best friend Will for ages. When Pat finds out he'll be sharing a flat with Will for two weeks, he doesn't know whether to be excited or terrified.

Cue towel drop scene in the kitchen, and suddenly Will is see
*J* Too Many Books Too Little Time
3.5 Stars!

This was a very easy, light, low angst read with a good bit of sexy!

Nothing wowing, but no complaints either!
Susan
Jul 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommended to Susan by: Elsbeth
Shelves: mm

Having a crush on your older brother’s best friend, this could have been so good! But it wasn’t.

description

Patrick is house sitting for his brother while he is on holiday. But it turns out he has to share the flat with his brother’s best friend, Will, who he had a crush on for ages. When it turns out Will is not that averse to having sex with Patrick they strike a friends-with-benefits deal.

There were several things that bothered me while reading this.

Will was an ass. I didn’t like him at all. He
Debra
Patrick is looking forward to housesitting for his older brother Ben while he is away for two weeks and then spending the summer with him before returning to university for his final years of studies. It’s all perfect until Patrick arrives and Ben drops the bomb that his friend Will, who Patrick has a not so secret, “huge unrequited and frankly, embarrassing crush on”, has broken up with his boyfriend and will be sharing the house with Patrick for the next two weeks until he can move into his ne ...more
Jay Northcote
I pre-read this one because Annabelle is a friend of mine, so this is not a review as such - but a recommendation. This is Annabelle's first foray into contemporary m/m and she's done a great job with it. It's a fun, sexy, lighthearted read. I suggest you check it out if you like that sort of thing :)
aksana  -  4 - 8 - 15 - 16 - 23 - 42 -
3.5 Stars
Tamika♥RBF MOOD♥
So I read Toy with Me (BFP The Secrets Collection) by Annabelle Jacobs and enjoyed it tremendously. I wanted to know who this author was. Annabelle Jacobs, writes low-angst, romance, and sexy books from just the two I've read. This one was no different. It very much younger brother has crush on older brother's best friend. Wow it took no time for Patrick and Will to get together. I would have thought with their past history that Will would have seen certain signs for what they were. Patrick definitely was a sweet character, I liked him as well. Can't f ...more
Jilrene
ETA: link to my review Gay.Guy.Reading and Friends

I'm writing a review for Gay.Guy.Reading and Friends. I'll add a link when it's available.

3.5 charming stars

I received a free copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.
Ele
Jun 21, 2015 rated it liked it
*3.5 stars*

This was a nice story. The "best friend's brother" trope is always a favorite.

I did feel that the story dragged on a little bit, though. . It could have been shorter.

Overall, a sexy and light story with a strong HFN.

P.S. My favorite character of this book is Ben, Patrick's brother. Thw guy was super cool and hilarious.
Veronica of V's Reads
This review was originally written for Joyfully Jay Reviews and can be accessed here: http://joyfullyjay.com/2015/07/review...

Pat is 22 years old and on his summer holiday before his final year at uni. He’s planned to spend the time at his brother Ben’s flat in Bristol where he will house sit/cat sit for the first two weeks while Ben is on a vacation. Pat is stunned to learn that he will have a roommate; Ben’s best friend Will has taken the guest room until his own flat is ready in ten days. Pat
Pixie
Jun 20, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: man-on-man-luvin
Morgan  Skye
Jun 28, 2015 rated it liked it
This is a very low angst love story between a slightly older and wiser Will and the still in university Patrick. Will has been burned in the past and is leery of younger men and long-distance relationships, especially with the brother of a friend, so he resists Patrick’s obvious adoration until it becomes apparent that he can’t anymore. When he gives in, it’s with the (this never works out) idea that they can somehow be fuck buddies and no strings.

Of course Patrick is already having feelings bef
Kristie
Jul 14, 2015 rated it liked it
A really cute story, with angst that had me frustrated... still, it was a fun read. My review is up at Boys In Our Books.
Federica Lemme
Jul 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing

This is truly delightful book that you should devour in one read. If you read the short story “Toy with me”, released a few weeks ago, you will know Ms Jacobs style of writing and if you liked that one, you are going to love this one!
Patrick moved to his brother’s Ben for the holidays and he is forced to share the house with Ben’s best friend, for the two weeks whilst on holiday.
There’s only one small problem: Patrick has had a crush for Will for a long time and now that Will is alrea
JJ
Jul 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book was provided free in exchange for a fair and honest review for Love Bytes. Go there to check out other reviews, author interviews, and all those awesome giveaways. Click below.
 photo 11014879_970988406253334_3984928259579074216_n_zpsm8c6semk.jpg

I really enjoyed this book. Patrick and Ben end up staying together in the same house for a few weeks in summer. Neither knows they’ll be sharing the house, but Patrick doesn’t complain since he’s had a crush on Will for some time. Will knows about Patrick’s crush, and is a little uncomfortable with the arrange
JenCW
Jun 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this one and will probably be rereading it in the future.

Patrick decides to spend the summer with his older brother before his last year in college. It's not until he arrives that he realizes that someone else is staying with his brother, Ben, as well. At first, he was okay with it until he realizes it's the one friend of Ben's that he's had a long, unrequited crush on and once made a fool of himself with while drunk. Will.

Patrick decides he can suck it up and keep himself in ch
Joyfully Jay
Jul 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: veronica
A Joyfully Jay review.

I really liked Pat and Will. Pat more, naturally, because he’s just a young lovely breath of fresh air than Will, who’s a bit jaded on relationships. I always connect with an incurable romantic, and Pat is one. It was tough witnessing Pat’s broken-hearted episodes for that reason. Will doesn’t fare much better, and I was glad that Ben was able to intercede. He’s quite the excellent brother and best mate—even if he never wants “the details.”

The writing is accessib
Rennie
Jun 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Delightful! This book made me smile.
Tjpayne
Apr 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm
***3.5 stars***

I've never read this author before, and was surprised at how much her writing style reminded me of Jay Northcote (a favorite mm author of mine).

When I chose this book to read, I was looking for a short (novella length), fun, entertaining and light book to read. As it happens, that is now exactly how I would describe this story.

There is a teeny, tiny bit of angst toward the end of the book, but that just helped add a little extra interest to the story.

NO- there were no deep issues
Inked Reads
Aug 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: erotica, m-m
FiveStars
This is pretty standard light romance, but I think it's an excellent example of the genre—well-written, smart, funny, and with plenty of heat. The emotions never feel overdone or heavy, and there aren't a lot of tired plot devices in the way of good storytelling. Both Will and Patrick are decent guys. They're not perfect, but they're likable and easy to connect with.

Lisa The Novel Approach
May 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Two acquaintances—one with a massive crush on the other, and the other just out of a relationship—in a house for two weeks together. What could possibly happen?

Patrick is heading to Bristol to house-sit for his brother Ben, only to find out he won’t be alone. His longtime (not so secret) crush, Will, is also going to be there. And guess what? Will is single now.

Will is not looking for anything serious. Not to mention he definitely isn’t interested in his best friend’s little brother. He hadn’t r
Lucy
Jun 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Patrick is going to house sit and then spend summer with his brother, Ben, and he’s excited about it. Until he finds out that his brother’s best friend, who is also Patrick’s long time crush, is going to be there in the spare room. Uh oh. Despite the fact that Patrick really does have feelings for Will and the fact that Will is just out of a relationship, the idea of a casual affair for the next two weeks seems like a good idea.
Of course, you know it’s never that easy to control your feelings.
multitaskingmomma
Jul 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Original Post: Happy Happy Release Day!!! Blog Tour, eARC Review, Excerpt & #Giveaway:A Casual Thing by Annabelle Jacobs

Review by: multitaskingmomma
My Rating: 3.5 Stars

I love Annabelle Jacobs' books, especially her sci-fi and fantasy works. This is, I think, her first that I've read that is contemporary. Although the writing style is still the same enjoyable, fast, and light read, I still struggled a bit. Not because of the romance, but because of some details that I found lacking. One quest
JenCW
Jun 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really liked this one and will probably be rereading it in the future.

Patrick decides he can suck it up and keep himself in ch
Carly
Jul 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
A Casual Thing starts as light romance between twenty-two year old Patrick and Will. Patrick has been crushing on Will for awhile, and it doesn't take long for the proximity of living together to spark Will's interest and open his eyes to the fact that Patrick is all grown up now spark.

Despite their connection through Ben, Will's best friend and Patrick's brother, they don't know each other that well. The two weeks they spend together changes the dynamic between them as they discover how much th
Susan65
Jun 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
The Blogger Girls

What a cute, sweet and extremely sexy story. Patrick was just a complete and total doll baby; the whole package of adorable-ness, youthful innocence, and hottie horn dog all rolled into one. He was exactly how I would picture a randy 22 year old who was crushing heavily on his long time boyhood crush.

While Patrick was everything cute and sweet, Will was the confident older man (yeah, 27 is sooooo much older, lol) who knew he shouldn’t fool around for the next two weeks with his
Lily
Jul 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
4.5*
From the start you know the decision to become ‘fuck-buddies’ will be more than ‘a casual thing’ between Patrick and Will while they live under the same roof. Events and tiredness conspire against them so they don’t actually spend much time in the bedroom. However this gives them time to get to know each other better and enjoy each other’s company. Throw in an ex-boyfriend, the slight age difference, the thought of a long distance relationship and one of them won’t admit he has deep feelings
Mihaela
Jul 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs, m-m-romance, romance
Originally posted on http://mikkysworldofbooks.blogspot.ro...

Not bad this book but, while I didn’t had any difficulties getting through it, I couldn’t connect at all with the characters.

Patrick has always been attracted to Will and, when they find themselves living together, the attraction can’t be ignored anymore.

Well, here’s where the story went downhill. Everything happens too fast. They go from zero to one hundred in six seconds. There’s no development to their relationship. It just fell fla
Kirsty Bicknell
Jun 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Annabelle Jacobs’ newest release is a brilliant combination of hilarious moments, sweet romance, and hot sex!
I think crushes are one thing we can all understand which is why we feel for Patrick when he is left alone with the object of his infatuation for two weeks. After they are both caught in compromising positions Will realises that Patrick is no “kid” anymore and Patrick is ready to succumb to his feelings.
Annabelle Jacobs shows how both men change after coming to a friends-with-benefits arr
A.M. Leibowitz
Sep 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is pretty standard light romance, but I think it’s an excellent example of the genre—well-written, smart, funny, and with plenty of heat. The emotions never feel overdone or heavy, and there aren’t a lot of tired plot devices in the way of good storytelling. Both Will and Patrick are decent guys. They’re not perfect, but they’re likable and easy to connect with.

One thing I found interesting was that despite how much I loved both Patrick and Will, and despite their chemistry, I didn’t want t
« previous 1 3 next »
Dreamspinner Press: A Casual Thing by Annabelle Jacobs 1 6 Jul 01, 2015 10:36PM

• Cheeky Hipsters & Jocks
  • Nothing Ventured
  • Private Display of Affection
  • Misplaced Affection
  • He's Just Knot That Into You
  • Blackbird Knitting in a Bunny's Lair (Granby Knitting #4)
  • Moment of Impact (Moments In Time, #1)
  • Cross To Bare (Men of London, #5)
  • Out of Hiding
  • True Brit
  • The Shearing Gun
Annabelle Jacobs lives in the South West of England with her three rowdy children, and two cats.

An avid reader of fantasy herself for many years, Annabelle now spends her days writing her own stories. They're usually either fantasy or paranormal fiction, because she loves building worlds filled with magical creatures, and creating stories full of action and adventure. Her characters may have a to