Start by marking “The Gossiping Gourmet (Murder in Marin Mysteries, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Gossiping Gourmet (Murder in Marin Mysteries, #1)

The Gossiping Gourmet (Murder in Marin Mysteries, #1)

In Book 1 of the MURDER IN MARIN Mysteries:

Warren Bradley, renowned as the local gadfly In the picture-perfect community of Sausalito, California, is esteemed by his admirers and despised by his detractors. But for love of his caramel chicken and cherry fudge brownies, everyone has a story to share regarding their fellow citizens—

Stories that too often find their way into
Published October 5th 2014 by Signal Press

To ask other readers questions about The Gossiping Gourmet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gossiping Gourmet

Start your review of The Gossiping Gourmet (Murder in Marin Mysteries, #1)
Sharon
Nov 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Although the mystery in this book was decent, the small minds and dry souls of the characters inhabiting the insular community of Sausalito,California were very unappealing. Unless the character of this town was actually accurately presented in the book, the author should be concerned that it's citizens might sue for damages to the town's reputation! Residents are so concerned about fitting in and "being one of us" that they fail to recognize the viper in their myst. Fortunately there are a few ...more
Melody
Feb 25, 2019 rated it liked it
This book has good character development and an interesting plot. It was halfway through the book before I discovered who the main characters were and more good have been made of the location, one of the most beautiful places in the country. Overall a solid 3.5 stars.
Athena
Dec 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Quick read

I love Holly, the mystery is good but is quite fast, I’m deathly interested in reading more from the series
Debra Scott
Feb 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Beginning slow. But the rest was ok and moved along. Ending was a surprise.
Lise
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Don't you hate, when you're in the middle of a really good book, that life gets in the way? That's how it was for this novel for me. I kept grabbing 5 minute peeks because I was enjoying the story so much and really wanted to see how it would progress. Silly, really, because it would be there when I had more time, but I could not wait.

In thinking it over, I can't point to one particular thing I really liked over any other thing. The characters were well fleshed-out, the plot was imaginative,
Ruth Caves
Oct 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Tangled web

Gossip is like a fire, it spreads and grows to something out of control and barely resembling it's origins. One can never really control gossip, but thinking you can leads to a God complex. Fortunately karma knows how to deal with that type of person...
Good read and the twisting path to the murderer will keep you turning pages to the end!
Dharma
Sep 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Not too bad. Added fun because I am familiar with that area, so that enhanced my enjoyment. Plot weak, but liked some of the main (assuming continuing) characters.
Kathy Davie
May 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery-cozy
First in in the Murder in Marin cozy mystery series and revolving around the inhabitants of Marin County in California. It's not until well into the story that we learn that Eddie Austin and Rob Timmons are the actual protagonists of the series. The focus in The Gossiping Gourmet is in Sausalito on Warren Bradley, gossip columnist and chef.

My Take
I suspect I disliked The Gossiping Gourmet because of Warren Bradley and his "partners in gossip". He's a victim you'll love to hate — he's such a
Cheryl
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the first in the series . The main characters are Rob , who owns a newspaper, Eddie who is a detective and Holly who works with Rob. Bradley is who is murdered, is also called the gossiping gourmet. He writes for the paper and it is always about gossip he has heard and loved to spread. He is found dead and no one know who did it. The police can't even see where he came from 25 years earlier. It is a great book and figuring out who he was and who knew it and killed him is a challenge.
Ted Tayler
Feb 03, 2019 rated it liked it
"Forgettable"

This type of book frustrates me. The author is clearly intelligent and knows how to craft a well-written story. There are dozens of instances of someone with acute observation skills - people, places, social standing and so on - but the result was a book that was dull and which lacked urgency. With the talent at his disposal I would expect something that sizzled and leapt off the page to grab me by the throat. All that got lost on the way I'm afraid.
Sandra Olson
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Interesting

If your not interested in the minute details of a small-minded California town, this is not a book you would enjoy. The author spends pages describing everything. But if you stick with it, the story is great. I loved the characters and felt the victim deserved what he got!
Chris Birdy
Jul 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cute cozy mystery of the murder of a nasty man who writes a column for the local papers in Marin County. He barters gourmet food and recipes with the locals for tidbits of gossip he inserts into his weekly column. The locals are shaken when Warren turns up dead with his hands chopped off. Solving this mystery takes the efforts of the community.
Patrick Farley
Mar 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Paying a visit...

As much as I know - from the book's disclaimer - that mentioned places were a part of the author's imagination, I would like to visit some of the mentioned places, just to see if there's any form of reality. Certainly the Golden Gate Bridge would be in the right place. Brian (GBR) provided a positive narrative (text to speech).
Joanne
Dec 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Though "The Gossiping Gourmet" starts off slowly it's worth reading. The characters are varied from likeable to revolting. The plot may be a bit muddled; but I didn't solve the mystery of why Warren Bradley was murdered nor which character was the murderer.
Martha Shofner
Oct 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Food for Thought

Enjoyable view of small town elitists who mistakenly believe they are the bestowers of norms to be followed by all. It can come back to bite you. An interesting tale.
Pia Vidal
May 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
Slow beginning

The murder does not happen until almost half way through the book. For me the beginning was too slow. It was hard to keep on reading. But the last 25% of the book was great.
Kristen
Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Pretty decent. I always love these kinds of mysteries. The only issue I had was that one character was identified by either his first name or last name; I prefer them to go by either or throughout the book.
Suzen
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
Cozy mystery, takes place in the cloistered Saucilito bay area. Weekly column writer who is the local gourmet is found dead, his hands missing. Some deep sleuthing uncovers the murderer.nice characters
Peggy Leach
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Must read

Talk about a surprise ending - this one keeps you guesssing. If you enjoy mysteries, you'll love reading this one
Valkyrie
Nov 03, 2019 rated it liked it
I was born and raised in Marin County. I loved the description. Some bits are questioning me on why it was included. But it was a good start to a series.
Grace Farrell
Dec 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Awesome

Great story with an unexpected twist, wouldn't have guessed the killer can't wait to read the next book in the series
Susan
Dec 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: misc-read
Good Read

I really enjoyed this book. I love a good mystery and this did not disappoint. I couldn't wait to finish to see who dun it.
Charleen
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
The story was great.

The more I read your story the more harder it was to put down. It kept me guessing who from start. Thanks!
Patricia White
Sep 27, 2019 rated it did not like it
Boring

I really couldn’t get into this book. I didn’t even finish it. I think I got to Chapter 5, told myself it has to get better. Kept reading but for myself it never did. Sorry.
Janice Bates
Sep 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Too Much Description

This one was hard to get into. Too wordy, slow to start. I did, however, enjoy this murder investigation after the story started perking. But, while there was way too much description in the beginning, toward the end it seemed that Mr. Brown ran out of words.
Kathy Stone
Jan 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great mystery

Lots of twists and turns. The reader is surprised by the identity of the murderer. That is the way a murder mystery should read.
Bonnie Mullen
Oct 18, 2017 rated it did not like it
Too much description and too slow. I didn't finish the book so no idea if it got better. Too many books out there to have to struggle through the first half.
Tiffany
Sep 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Long

This book was so long that I had a hard time getting into it. But once I got into it, I couldn't put it down. It had an interesting and unexpected twist. Some better editing would have been nice. I'm still not sure if it should be Bea Snyder or Bea Synder?!?!
Margaret Qualls
Mar 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Fun, quick read based in my home area, though not a good sales positioning for Sausalito! Good plot twist, ordinary writing.
Keelie
During the first few chapters I didn't think I would enjoy this one. It started a bit slow and seemed to drag on. However, I continued on because I was hoping it would pick up. I'm glad I kept going. While it isn't the best book I've ever read, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Definitely a good read. And the fact that it's part of a series but wasn't a cliffhanger made it even better.

• Death of a Cantankerous Old Coot
  • A Deadly Delivery (A Psychic Cafe Mystery, #1)
  • Dying for a Date (Laurel McKay Mysteries, #1)
  • How to Bake a Murder (Cookie and Cream #1)
  • Gunpowder Chowder (Hooked & Cooked #1)
  • A Secret Killer (Julia Blake Murder Mystery, #4)
  • A Mother's Day Murder (Mt. Abrams Mystery, #1)
  • Murder Above the Fold (Elder Witch Cozy Mystery #1)
  • The Secret of Seaside (Paige Comber Mystery Book 1)
  • Mattress Mart Murder (Chloe Cook #1)
  • Strictly Murder (Verity Long Mysteries #1)
  • Arsenic in the Azaleas (Lovely Lethal Gardens #1)
  • Murder in Cherry Hills (Cozy Cat Caper Mystery, #1)
  • Money, Murder and Mayhem (Cryptic Cove Mystery #1)
  • Tapas, Carrot Cake and a Corpse (Charlotte Denver #1)
  • To Kill A Labrador (Marcia Banks and Buddy Mysteries, #1)
  • Beach Blanket Homicide (Whispering Bay Mystery, #1)
  • Dial P For Poison (Movie Club Mysteries, #1)
Martin Brown is the author of the MURDER IN MARIN mysteries, including:

The Gossiping Gourmet (Book 1)
The Wicked Wife (Book 2)
The Phantom Photographer (Book 3)
The Terrifying Teacher (Book 4)
The Horrible Husband (Book 5 / 2019)

As a journalist, Martin's articles on health and relationships have appeared in Redbook, Playboy, and Complete Woman magazines, as well as SingleMindedWomen.com.

Martin, a