Start by marking “The Spanish Club” as Want to Read:
The Spanish Club

The Spanish Club

When Brianna unearths a family secret, the life she's known unravels. She trusts no one except Dana, her best friend. But Dana will move away at the end of the summer, leaving Brianna to face her senior year friendless and alone.

A last chance to bond with Dana lies in a summer trip abroad with the Spanish Club. Yet the promise of a once-unattainable first love, another pai
Published July 19th 2014 by Fine Kennings Press (first published July 18th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Spanish Club, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Spanish Club

Eliza
Oct 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I recently read Danielle Burnette's The Spanish Club, a contemporary novel which takes place in Mexico as a high school’s Spanish Club travels there from Chicago to soak up history, practice the language and take in the summer sights during the World Cup. Their tour guide, Miguel, shows them around the pyramids, and they later travel to the interior of Mexico and end up in Puerto Vallarta on the West Coast. The students travel by bus, and lively minor characters abound.
The novel centers aroun
Bookfan36
Mar 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
An enjoyable read

In the book you meet a group of teenagers, all members of the Spanish club from a Chicago high school, on a tour of Mexico. The main characters in the book are Brianna, Dana and Enrique. Brianna is struggling to cope with a family secret and at the same time is experiencing her first crush. Dana, Brianna’s best friend, is an angry and depressed teenager who feels rejected by her family. Whereas Enrique is a popular member of the high school football team.

This is really a coming
Gail Flynn
Dec 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Danielle Burnette's The Spanish Club is a contemporary novel set in Mexico during the World Cup.
The novel's main characters, two seventeen-year-old best friends Brianna and Dana, travel with their Spanish Club to an ancient land (beautifully described by Ms. Burnette) to struggle with teenage angst about core values: honesty, friendship and a loyalty strained as Brianna develops an attraction to the mysterious and handsome Enrique.
The author has an ear for teenage relationships. So, if you're lo
Veda Stamps
Nov 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fresh take on young love, friendship and forgiveness.

Danielle Burnette's "The Spanish Club" is a fresh take on young love, friendship and foregiveness. It's greatly appreciated that Burnette chose to create a diverse cast of characters and set the novel in Mexico. The characters, Brianna, Dana, and Enrique felt realistic and we're not wrapped in pretty little bows. I found myself feeling sorry for Brianna through most of the book as she tried to process her family secret and deal with her not so
Tina
Aug 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I bought this book directly from the author in Portland at Pioneer Square. I've spent the last week reading it on my bus commute and it has really been a delight to read. Really satisfying ending and I love all the Spanish thrown in, with the perfect amount of context and explanation to add to the tone of the story without bringing you out of it or making you feel like you're getting a language lesson. Brianna's journey had the perfect amount of ups and downs and I really enjoyed the pacing. I w ...more
Daiane
Feb 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great read! I received an ecopy of this book from story cartel in exchange for an honest review. This book tells the story of a group of people traveling and learning about cultures. Really enjoyed the whole concept of the book itself and the characters were very relatable. I rated this a 4 because I feel like this book would suit middle aged teenagers and below. Great job!
T.R. Horne
Mar 18, 2016 rated it liked it
*Sent for honest review by Reading Alley

While I enjoyed Danielle Burnett's coming of age novel, The Spanish Club, I found it lacking in philosophical ruminations or the proverbial ah-ha moment that is the crux of coming of age novels. Sadly, every minute of Brianna's story revolved around one issue that was glazed over at its inception. Her parents telling her she is adopted and coming clean that she is not their child should have been a monumental event if it was going to be the running reason
Lauri
Mar 31, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: abandoned
I received a digital copy of The Spanish Club in exchange for my honest review.

I have been trying for several weeks to finish The Spanish Club, so after eighteen chapters, I will be abandoning it instead. I realize that I did not make the necessary connection, to either Brianna or Dana, to wonder if they made it home from their class trip to Mexico or if their friendship survived the journey.

Several things that may have deterred me:
**The characters were more cliche than realistic. I believe I w
angelie
Apr 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
I have received a copy from Danielle Burnette in exchange of a honest review.

The best parts that I love in this books are these:

I love how the novel takes the readers to the streets of Mexico. It uses vivid descriptions and even incorporated history to the places they visited.

The characters are great and well-written since they are relatable and likable.

Lastly, the ending was also well-written. I honestly don't know how it was going to end. I love how everything turned for every character in th
Grace
Jul 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
So a few days ago, I got into this HUGE contemporary mood for a few hours. As a result, this book was started, just by a simple thought! I feel this book was a great change for me considring I've been reading A LOT of fantasy lately (In fact I'm reading fantasy now). I really felt for Brianna and definitely was able to form opinions on other characters (i.e. Stacia, Dana, Enrique, etc.). Overall, the story was very intriquing and heartfelt.

Now, there IS a story of how I aquired this book (Becau
Londa Beam
Apr 14, 2016 rated it liked it
I was given this book, in exchange for an honest review. I enjoyed this book, up until half-way through it. I was really annoyed with the friendship Dana and Brianna had, and how it continued to drag on throughout their time in Mexico. I almost quit reading it half-way through because I was annoyed. I think I would have liked it better, if Dana was so brooding in her character. I was glad I finished it and was really surprised at the secret that was revealed towards the end. I don't think I woul ...more
Dorothy Rice
May 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Having attended sixth grade in Guadalajara, I was surprised and intrigued by all the settings in Mexico as the Spanish Club tours the sights. The book brought back many memories of a time when I too experienced the cultural clash that occurs when we visit a new country for the first time. The diversity of so many of the characters is super refreshing and felt very real. This group of kids struggles with the differences in the colors of their skin and their cultural heritages and this theme, wove ...more
Alysa
Feb 18, 2015
Ashley
Feb 18, 2015
Fringe Fiction: YA Review Request: The Spanish Club 1 13 Aug 14, 2014 12:22PM
Danielle Burnette lives with her husband and children in northern California. Her first contemporary Young Adult novel, The Spanish Club, won second place in the 2015 Reader Views Literary Awards. Her short fiction has appeared in PRISM international, Soundings Review, and Lunch Ticket. Between penning more works of short fiction, she is currently editing her next novel.