Start by marking “Timothy The Tortoise: The Remarkable Story Of The Nation's Oldest Pet” as Want to Read:
Timothy The Tortoise: The Remarkable Story Of The Nation's Oldest Pet

Timothy The Tortoise: The Remarkable Story Of The Nation's Oldest Pet

Timothy made his first appearance in the nation's history when he was a ship's mascot in the Crimean War in 1854. After a long naval career, he retired for a quieter life on land and was given to the Earl of Devon in 1892. From then until his untimely death in April 2004, he lived in Powderham Castle where he was much loved by family and visitors alike. Lady Gabrielle Cour ...more
Published October 28th 2004 by Orion (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Timothy The Tortoise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Timothy The Tortoise

Clare O'Beara
This is a nice look at an unusual subject; the resident tortoise at Powderham Castle, best known to me as the location for the film of The Remains Of The Day. The author had first met him while aged four, on a visit to Timothy in the rose garden, and later returned to interview him. Timothy, a Mediterranean spur-thighed tortoise, died at a great age.

The tale of course has to visit all the good and famous people who owned either Timothy - since the Crimean War - or the castle - the earls of Devo
sisterimapoet
Dec 28, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction08
I'm not that interested in history or in the English aristocracy - but I am interested in all things tortoise. This book achieved a pleasing balance. It gave a great insight into the passage of history that took place during this little fellows life, and also precious glimpses of how he drifted gently through his days.
^
Sep 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Visitors to Powderham Castle (Devon, UK)
A quirky book, which I found yesterday in a charity shop close to home. I bought it because, by coincidence, I had visited Powderham Castle only a week previously.

I say ‘odd’ because although I quite enjoyed this easy light read, I detected a whiff that the author had been uncertain as to how exactly to pull together sufficient material to produce a coherent narrative, and how to present it for sale at £10.00.

I suppose that his principle difficulty centred on the obvious: that a tortoise tends
David Rowson
rated it it was ok
Feb 08, 2015
Diana
Feb 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
nice easy little book with lots of anecdotes
Sue