Start by marking “Hungry Darkness” as Want to Read:
Hungry Darkness

Hungry Darkness

Nick Ayres wanted to be the first man to explore all of the Caulkers’ Giant Cave, the largest underwater cave in the world. Instead of fame and fortune, he found death at the hands of something that defies science, accidentally unleashing it on the island’s unsuspecting population.

Gabriel Robles is the man hired to take care of the monster. He knows the water and its inha
Published June 7th 2015 by Severed Press

To ask other readers questions about Hungry Darkness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hungry Darkness

Rodney
Mar 19, 2016 Rodney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A solid oceanic thriller that showcases an octopus more sinister than the shark from Jaws. I like when an author can do multiple genres well and this was so different from Zero Saints. I enjoyed both of them and am really looking forward to his NBAS book Gutmouth.
Ju$tin
Mar 22, 2016 Ju$tin rated it really liked it
i read this on kindle unlimited a few months back. i suck at book reviews when too much time has gone by and i can't find my notes from the read so this is going to be vague. i also remember writing down maybe a dozen short scenes and dialogue clips that i thought were dope as hell. prose was smooth, reads like a movie. at times i thought it was silly or farfetched though, and there was one outcome i was disappointed in (would be more specific but i don't want to spoil anything.) but that stuff ...more
Jackson
Jul 26, 2015 Jackson rated it it was amazing
What Peter Benchley did for sharks with 1974′s Jaws, Gabino Iglesias seeks to do for octopi with Hungry Darkness, a tense horror tale wherein an enormous tentacled menace wreaks havoc on divers and fishermen off the coast of Belize. With a relatively short length and terse structure, the Caribbean Sea-based novella is a perfect single-sitting summer read.

Click here for the full review at VerbicideMagazine.com
Peter Tieryas
Jun 09, 2015 Peter Tieryas rated it it was amazing
My review at Entropy: "The best thrillers don’t just provide mindless excitements, but expose the depths that fuel the action forward. Iglesias reveals that hunger in the darkness can be all consuming and destructive, but that sometimes, will, stupid courage, and shotguns go a long way towards survival."

Benoit Lelièvre
Dec 11, 2015 Benoit Lelièvre rated it really liked it
I believe every monstrous thing in the history of anything has always had tentacles. It's a seemingly stupid detail I always obsess over because the only basis in reality that this idea has is octopuses. I don't know any other creature that exists that has these nightmarish appendages. HUNGRY DARKNESS, by Gabino Iglesias is another quirky and deceptively smart novella because it really makes an octopus the monster of its story.

HUNGRY DARKNESS is an exercise in demythologization as the monster i
Raegan Butcher
Nov 06, 2015 Raegan Butcher rated it really liked it
First-rate thriller.Taut pacing and a likable hero help sell this one. I read this on Halloween and it was the perfect treat. Now I want to see the movie version!
S.T. Cartledge
Aug 28, 2015 S.T. Cartledge rated it really liked it
Gabino Iglesias has taken a step back from bizarro to focus his sights on a deep sea thriller. Something big has been awakened inside a giant underwater cave system and it has come to destroy and consume a great number of tourists and locals who venture out into the ocean near a small fishing village.

True to Gabino's style, his prose is tight and the pacing is fast. The story focuses on a small handful of characters, and for such a close-up story, the body count is high. It is violent and viscer
David Bridges
Jul 25, 2015 David Bridges rated it it was amazing
A fun and entertaining read. One of those books that is just the perfect length to read in one or two sitting. The writing is vivid a plays out like a short film in your head. I love the way Inglesias used small short stories within the novella to show how dangerous the Octopod is. I think if you are a fan of Adam Cesare or Gina Ranalli's short horror novels (which I definitely am) then you will enjoy this book. I have read a lot of Inglesias' reviews which have put me on to a lot of good lit bu ...more
Doctor Edward Diesel
Mar 04, 2016 Doctor Edward Diesel rated it really liked it
Best killer octopus tale since the Italian schlock-fest "tentacles" in 1977, and that was a movie, not a book. Loved the descriptions of victims being squeezed to death! Very well-done creature feature pulp fiction.
Jim
The perfect beach read for those looking for reasons not to go in the water.
Books! Books! Books!
Apr 01, 2016 Books! Books! Books! rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Monster Lovers
Recommended to Books! Books! by: Kindle
Review to come.
Tim Potter
Jul 24, 2015 Tim Potter rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
Gabino Iglesias ventures into book-length horror for the first time with his Severed Press novella Hungry Darkness. It’s an entertaining tale of horror on and below the ocean waves just off the coast of Belize. Various unlikely heroes battle to keep a giant sea creature from continuing its already extensive killing spree which that has claimed many unlikely victims. Though the narrative wanders a bit and focuses on insignificant characters at times it’s still a very solid one-sitting read that k ...more
David
Aug 20, 2015 David rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
With his latest, Hungry Darkness, journalist and author Gabino Iglesias has crafted a fun, Benchley-esque horror that will keep you from the beaches the way Jaws once did.

The book opens with the arrogant Nick Ayres, an explorer who dreams of filming an expedition into Giant Cave, a massive underwater grotto beneath the small island of Caye Caulker in Belize. When National Geographic underwrites his exploration, he surreptitiously hires an advance crew to blow open a narrow entrance into a deeper
The Grim Reader (Beavisthebookhead.com)
Gabino, dips his toes into the into the hungry darkness and survives. This is a great quick read by Gabino. When locals start to go missing and talks of a giant octopus surface, a hard up local fisherman/guide named Gabe is asked to find and destroy the creature in exchange for a handsome amount of cash. Nothing really new here but Gabino keeps the carnage coming in regular spurts and before you know it, you are finished! not too much time for you to get attached to any particular character, but ...more
Aimeé Rodríguez
Dec 27, 2015 Aimeé Rodríguez rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, noir
Mr. Iglesias is at it again and he doesn't disappoint! The story places un in an environment full of mystery and intrigue. The government's covering up an event and our brave hero is tasked with solving the problem. Each scene is detailed as to keep you on the edge of your seat, and the blood and gore are used to enhance the story telling without adding excessive shock value. Felt like "The Old Man and the Sea" met Jaws. Nice summer read, especially if you are killing time at the beach. Gave it ...more
Bridgett
Sep 26, 2015 Bridgett rated it liked it
For those who enjoy "creatures of the deep" type stories, this one is short, fun, and quite entertaining. Had it not been for a glaring error (i.e. a person who dies on one page, turns up alive on the next), it probably would have recieved 4 stars. Another thing that bothered me was how the creature escaped the cave. Explosives opened a hole deep in the cave, but the actual entrance is described as a small hole/slit that men with tanks sometimes have a hard time getting through. So how did this ...more
Edward Rathke
Jul 22, 2015 Edward Rathke rated it it was amazing
A fun little book. It's funny, interesting, and pretty savage.

It's horror, but Iglesias balances this out with science, a grounded setting, and believable characters. It makes the horror feel real, intimate, and worth reading.

But, yeah, a fun little book with more going on than you might expect.

Buy it.
Frederic
Jan 20, 2016 Frederic rated it really liked it
I am really enjoying this sudden emergence of sea beastie books by authors like Gabino Iglesias, Adam Cesare, and Cameron Pierce. It is a fun genre for a Jaws fan like myself to dwell in for a few hours. I actually gave this one 4.5 stars for sheer entertainment. I only removed half a star because I wished it was longer. Anyway, read it if you are down for a quick sea monster fix. Enjoy!
Robert
Jul 30, 2015 Robert rated it it was amazing
Sea creatures have captured our imaginations for countless years. This book simply adds to that. With a creature that defies the standard laws of nature, we are given a chilling tale of man being in the wrong place at the wrong time. While shorter than I had anticipated, this was still quite an enjoyable read. Definitely worth adding to your list.
Uncle  Dave Avis
Aug 09, 2015 Uncle Dave Avis rated it it was amazing
This was a very good short book. The author got things started in a hurry , developed his characters, and left no idle time. This was a page turner from the first and was plausibly terrifying. I would like to read more from this author.
Darby
Aug 15, 2015 Darby rated it really liked it
Tendrils of terror

Was fairly well written and got straight to the point. Not a whole lot of useless filler, which is a good thing. Wished been little longer, but story is sensible and sound. Good read!
Tamara
Mar 24, 2016 Tamara rated it it was amazing
Jump Right In!

Dive into this action packed thrill ride that snares you captive from the first page. Then ... hang on ... until the end. An entertaining short read you won't want to put down.
Matt Lewis
Feb 15, 2016 Matt Lewis rated it really liked it
Shelves: small-press, horror
Two dominating thoughts after reading:
- Jesus, I haven't read any Peter Benchley since 8th grade
- Don't fuck with the ocean
Georgia
Georgia rated it really liked it
Aug 25, 2015
virginia stricklin
virginia stricklin rated it liked it
Aug 11, 2015
Scott
Scott rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2015
Roger R Thomas
Roger R Thomas rated it liked it
Sep 23, 2015
Philip Wickstrand
Philip Wickstrand rated it it was ok
Oct 04, 2016
Gerda Du
Gerda Du rated it really liked it
Oct 03, 2016
Craig Williams
Craig Williams rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2015