Start by marking “Dopey Women” as Want to Read:
Dopey Women

Dopey Women

From chemo... to cannabis... to chaos...

When Sadie and her colleagues find themselves out of a job and down on their luck they know desperate times call for desperate measures.

What starts off as a crazy idea to sell marijuana to the ladies at her friend's chemo sessions quickly spirals into a booming drug empire.

But they didn't expect a sexy detective on their trail, susp
Published (first published April 8th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Dopey Women, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dopey Women

Start your review of Dopey Women
mrsljgibbs
Jan 11, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I would just like to say a very big thank you to the author who very kindly forwarded me a copy of this book in return for an honest review.
I really enjoyed this book and read it very quickly as I couldn’t wait to find out what was going to happen.
Also, it was hilarious in quite a few places and I found myself chuckling along!!
I loved all the main characters - the girls, but the story was definitely helped along by the gorgeous detective!
The story is well written and I loved all the dilemmas tha
Laura Barnard
Jan 21, 2021 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Currently reduced to 0.99 for a limited time!
Siobhan
I’ve read a few Laura Barnard books and have found them all to be addictive reads. I power through them, having a good laugh, and am always willing to read more. Thus, I was happy to dive into Dopey Women. Although I enjoyed Dopey Women, I’m going to be honest and say it’s my least favourite Laura Barnard read.

Dopey Women certainly had me giggling at the antics that played out throughout the story, leaving me turning the pages at a rapid pace to find out how everything came together. Although I
Caroline Barker
Aug 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Laura Barnard has nailed it again! Not only has she created several well-developed characters, a romance embedded in a super plotline, she also has the gift of humour! In every single one of her books, thus far, I have been in stitches, and never without a smile on my face, and Dopey Women is no exception! Dopey Women is full of ‘sexcapades’, adventure and suspense that will keep you glued to the very end.

Written in first person from Sadie’s point of view, the reader follows her character as we
Laura Nelson (Tangents and Tissues)
*** Full review to follow ***
Laura Smith
Aug 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Arc given by the author for a honest review.

WOW! Just WOW! This is an absolutely, amazingly, hilarious book that
you just have to read! Seriously this will cheer you up and have you
rolling on the floor laughing.

I don't read "Chick Lit" as much as I should and I am so glad that I read
this one.

Sadie and a few of her work colleague's are suddenly made redundant
from where they work and its the last thing any of them need.
Several months and still no work, Sadie bumps into the other girls at the
Jackie Wright
Aug 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
5 Star Review
I was given this book for a honest review.
I have say right away this book was hilarious it had me laughing out loud and getting some very strange looks from my husband.
Sadie, Mag's,Lexi and Steph worked together but have all been made redundant. A chance meeting at the local job centre finds them all having problems with finding jobs and earning money on top of that Mag's has lost her husband and is going through Chemo for cancer.....
The group of women decide that they could help th
Monique
Jun 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Sadie is an Office Manager who unfortunately is made redundant along with her girls. A couple of months later, she runs into them again at the local job centre. Neither has found employment as yet. After taking sometime to catch up, they come up with a scheme to make money - maybe not everyone's cup of tea.
In the process, Sadie meets DC Harry Mackenzie who is investigating a lead for the drug squad.

The girls get caught up in a world they never wanted to be involved in, and with every great Laura
Felicia
Oct 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dopey Women by Laura Barnard is a romantic comedy that I listened to on audio narrated by Mandy Williams.

I absolutely love Laura’s books! They always leave me with a smile on my face. I absolutely loved all the characters in this series. I loved the friendship between Sadie, Steph, Lexi, and Mags. Sadie and Harry's relationship was a bit messy but you can't help but root for them.

Mandy did an amazing job on the narration. I look forward to listening to more of her work in the future.

I would hi
ItaPixie
Aug 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stars

I enjoyed this story so so much.This is one of my favorite books of the year.Laura Barnard wrote a nice story, with a bunch of characters very well portrayed,it seems you have known them for years.The book is both hysterical and emotional likes the characters that live between its pages.I've laughed a lot reading it and at the end I've also cried a little.

Vicky  Mason
Jan 23, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was lucky enough to receive a kindle copy of Give It Arrest from @laurabarnardauthor for her recent promotion on Wednesday evening & by Thursday afternoon I had finished it! This is the second book I have read of Laura's. This book gripped me from the get go! I had a awful day on Wednesday & this was perfect for cheering me up! It had me laughing out loud so much, I actually snorted!! 😂
A book about friendship, romantic comedy with a good dose of raunch! Highly recommended, easy to read & you d
Leah
Jan 09, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was amazing!

I absolutely loved Sadie, Harry and all of the other characters too!

This book was romantic, gripping and steamy at times. It was a book that I could not put down.

I loved the storyline of this book as Sadie and her friends become drug dealers and a very suspicious, sexy detective is on their trail. What will happen to Sadie and the girls? What will Harry do?

Read more to find out!
Lauren Jones
Aug 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was provided an early copy of Dopey Women in exchange for an honest review. Honestly, this book is absolutely hilarious, brutally honest and deeply enthralling! The story begins with Sadie being called into the boss’s office for what she believes is a well-deserved promotion. When she walks in, her boss tells her that her department is all essentially…terminated. She has to face three women and inform them of this terrifying and difficult anomaly—right after she has a full on breakdown and thr ...more
Heavenly
Aug 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
ARC provided by the author in exchange for an honest review.

What can I say? It was amazing. I enjoyed this book a lot! From the first page the story sucked me in and wouldn't let go. I read in one sitting. Maybe 4-5 hours? It was that Good!

The story flows perfectly and characters are brilliantly developed. Simply amazing.

The main character, Sadie, after 10 years at her current job she has been made redundant. Gone her years of hard work, of long hours. One day, during job search, she bumps int
Laura Holland
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well Laura Barnard has managed to do it again! Smashed it out the park! Hit a home run! She has yet again created a well developed romance and a hilarious group of characters.
She has achieved to combine romance and humour perfectly yet again, which is why I'm no stranger to this author and her books.

The storyline is unique and I can honestly say I've never read one quite like it before, which as a avid reader is always a wonderful surprise!
The majority of the book is written in Sadie's POV bu
Kat Loves
Aug 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Oh my gosh! Let me start by saying I loved this book!! The story just flowed from start to finish and I was so engrossed in it that I had to read it in one sitting.

Sadie is down on her luck. She has just been made redundant after 10 years at her job. She is in the job search office when she bumps into Mags, Lexi and Steph (all old work colleagues). Over a cup of coffee they catch up and each has their own sad story to tell since they lost their jobs. Mags not only lost her husband, but she also
Janine
May 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a ride! I didn’t know what to expect from one minute to the next.

When Sadie and the girls in her department are laid off from their job and they can’t find another job, they don’t know what they will do for money. But, when one of the women confesses she has cancer and wants to try marijuana, an idea is set into motion. They will make pot brownies to sell to the other patients going through chemo. Once they start selling, all sorts of craziness starts happening. But, there is one speck of
Karen Shortridge
Aug 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was given this for my honest review, that said this is really a great read if you want humour, loyalty, fantastic characters and a story that you can believe then this is a book to read. There is Sadie she has been a manager over Mags, Steph and Lexi and they have built up a good work friendship but when they get made redundant they go they separate ways. After a few months they bump into each at the job centre, each of them struggling to find work so they all go for a coffee and catch up.
Thi
Tanya Rae ~ TaSTy WordGasms
Dopey Women by Laura Barnard is a standalone romance and is Sadie and Harry’s story.

Dopey Women is like no other book of fiction that I have read before. I had no idea what this title meant but I found out and it makes complete sense now.

Sadie along with several of her co-workers have lost their jobs and they have no-where to turn to. Sadie comes up with the idea to sell marijuana to ladies that are going through chemo.

There are some LOL moments but also the seriousness of selling drugs. They
Lisa
Oct 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
This is a story that I didn’t really expect! It is fun and engaging with delightful characters. I really never knew what was going on between Sadie and Harry. I know I had wishful thinking but that doesn’t always work with a book.

This is chock full of wonderful characters! I loved each of them for different reasons. Her “gal pal” group has the most dynamics in it. Plus a wide range of ages which make them interesting. Then there is the Detective along with the drug dealers. I don’t want to forg
Tracey
Jun 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
* I have volunteered to share my review and all the opinions are 100% my own *

This is the story of Sadie and her colleagues who have all been made redundant from their jobs and find themselves at a loss what to do next.
A few months later Sadie is in the job centre and sees her former work colleagues and they decide to go for coffee and catch up. Hearing what each person has gone through from Mags finding she has breast cancer and something to help with her symptoms from chemo.
They decide to join
Didi A
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book ❤️❤️❤️ i hugged it when i got to the ending ❤️❤️ it gave me good laughs it’s soooo heart warming, filled with soooo much love and emotions, if i could i would rate it 10 stars!! Definitely should be turned into a movie and that ending deserves an Oscar ❤️❤️ Laura Barnard is a brilliant author
kate
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book

I love reading this books, so well written, funny and very enjoyable. The author really brings the book to life, making you fall in love with the main character Sadie,
Definitely read more of Laura barnards work.
Mandy Sawyer
Oct 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh I can’t get enough of Laura’s characters. Laura has a way of building her characters that you can only fall in love with them. Mandy has given them their voices so well, great performance.
Victoria Robinson
Jun 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would like to thank Laura for sending me a copy of this to review in time for the re-release with a brand new cover.

After being made redundant Sadie and her colleagues soon find themselves needing to make some cash QUICK, and what better way to do it than by selling “Weed Brownies” to the other ladies at her friend’s chemo sessions? After all they do believe that Cannabis is meant to help.

But of course it’s not quite that simple, not only are they being investigated by “Detective McRugged”, th
Millennial Life Crisis Bookshelf - Samantha
Sadie has worked her way up from living on the streets, and for the past ten years has worked an honest job in order to provide for herself. When her entire department is laid off, while although she freaks out, feels sure that she will bounce back, especially after the way she left after the layoff. Months later, nobody from her department has found other work, and they are all drowning in bills and bad luck. From their bad luck stems an idea to get their bills paid and back on their feet as a ...more
Auro Books
Dec 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the fifth book that I read by Laura Barnard and I have enjoyed it as much as all the other ones!

Her writing style has something different. I don’t know how she manages to talk about every topic in the world in a funny and light way that makes me enjoy her books very much!

In Dopey Women, we follow a group of very different women, with very different personal problems that, somehow, have brought them together, and came up with a fun and entertaining plan to get over their current situation
MoMo
Nov 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I do enjoy a fun romantic book and I know when I pick up a Laura Barnard book I will not be disappointed!

I’ve read a few of her books (see blog for my reivews) and happily still have a few in reserve for when I need a pick-me-up.

I love the way this author writes. It is an easy to read style which pulls you into the story. There is so much humour but there is a serious aspect to the story and characters which had me laughing out loud in some parts and shedding a tear elsewhere.

Highly recommend th
KarenLou NorthandSouthBlog
Great story!

after getting made redundant Sadie and her co workers decide to start selling drugs to patients going through chemo, but then a hot police officer start sniffing around, looking for who is set up a new business in the area this leads to things getting serious when threats start coming in from the drug dealer that sells in that area.

Sadie has to decide whether to confess to the hot police officer or carry on?

Harry is quite arrogant at times so he deserves a slap but he more than make
Gemma Mann
Feb 05, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Before I start writing my review, I want to say a huge thank you to @laurabarnardauthor for kindly sending me a copy of this book. It’s been on of my favourite of 2021 so far.

This book had my laughing out loud. It was just the book I needed to read to really boost my mood.
I fell in love with all the girls and fell for the very dashing detective 🥰
Literally could not put this book down, I was constantly wanting to find out what the girls did next.
Quick paced, would highly recommend to all 🥰

Thank

• Road Trip
  • Tempted by the Tycoon's Proposal
  • Faking It
  • The Chalet
  • Little White Lies
  • Five French Hens
  • The Snow Killer (DI Barton, #1)
  • The Silent Ones
  • This Winter
  • The Love Square
  • The SEAL's Surprise Son (The Admiral's Seals, #1)
  • The Billionaire’s Pregnant Employee (Preston Brothers #3)
  • Guarding the Single Mother (SEAL Endgame, #1)
  • Guarding His Pretend Wife (SEAL Endgame, #2)
  • Protecting Maddie (Special Forces: Operation Alpha)
  • Hidden Danger (Brotherhood Protectors World)
  • The SEAL's Pregnant Ex (The Admiral's Seal, #3)
  • The SEAL's Beautiful Nanny (The Admiral's Seals, #2)
Amazon Bestselling Author Laura Barnard writes British quirky laugh out loud romantic comedy.

She lives in Hertfordshire, UK, with her husband and daughter.

In her spare time she enjoys drinking her body weight in tea, cuddling dogs, matchmaking her friends (very successfully), binging True Crime, indulging in the power nap and reading past her bedtime.

www.laurabarnardbooks.co.uk