Start by marking “Dopey Women” as Want to Read:
Dopey Women

Dopey Women

From chemo... to cannabis... to chaos...

When Sadie and her colleagues find themselves out of a job and down on their luck they know desperate times call for desperate measures.

What starts off as a crazy idea to sell marijuana to the ladies at her friend's chemo sessions quickly spirals into a booming drug empire.

But they didn't expect a sexy detect
Published (first published April 8th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Dopey Women, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dopey Women

Start your review of Dopey Women
Siobhan
I’ve read a few Laura Barnard books and have found them all to be addictive reads. I power through them, having a good laugh, and am always willing to read more. Thus, I was happy to dive into Dopey Women. Although I enjoyed Dopey Women, I’m going to be honest and say it’s my least favourite Laura Barnard read.

Dopey Women certainly had me giggling at the antics that played out throughout the story, leaving me turning the pages at a rapid pace to find out how everything came together.
Laura Smith
Aug 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Arc given by the author for a honest review.

WOW! Just WOW! This is an absolutely, amazingly, hilarious book that
you just have to read! Seriously this will cheer you up and have you
rolling on the floor laughing.

I don't read "Chick Lit" as much as I should and I am so glad that I read
this one.

Sadie and a few of her work colleague's are suddenly made redundant
from where they work and its the last thing any of them need.
Several months and still no work, Sadie bumps into the other girls
Monique
Jun 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Sadie is an Office Manager who unfortunately is made redundant along with her girls. A couple of months later, she runs into them again at the local job centre. Neither has found employment as yet. After taking sometime to catch up, they come up with a scheme to make money - maybe not everyone's cup of tea.
In the process, Sadie meets DC Harry Mackenzie who is investigating a lead for the drug squad.

The girls get caught up in a world they never wanted to be involved in, and with
Caroline Barker
Aug 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Laura Barnard has nailed it again! Not only has she created several well-developed characters, a romance embedded in a super plotline, she also has the gift of humour! In every single one of her books, thus far, I have been in stitches, and never without a smile on my face, and Dopey Women is no exception! Dopey Women is full of ‘sexcapades’, adventure and suspense that will keep you glued to the very end.

Written in first person from Sadie’s point of view, the reader follows her char
Lauren Jones
Aug 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was provided an early copy of Dopey Women in exchange for an honest review. Honestly, this book is absolutely hilarious, brutally honest and deeply enthralling! The story begins with Sadie being called into the boss’s office for what she believes is a well-deserved promotion. When she walks in, her boss tells her that her department is all essentially…terminated. She has to face three women and inform them of this terrifying and difficult anomaly—right after she has a full on breakdown and thr ...more
Jackie Wright
Aug 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
5 Star Review
I was given this book for a honest review.
I have say right away this book was hilarious it had me laughing out loud and getting some very strange looks from my husband.
Sadie, Mag's,Lexi and Steph worked together but have all been made redundant. A chance meeting at the local job centre finds them all having problems with finding jobs and earning money on top of that Mag's has lost her husband and is going through Chemo for cancer.....
The group of women decide
Kat Loves
Aug 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Oh my gosh! Let me start by saying I loved this book!! The story just flowed from start to finish and I was so engrossed in it that I had to read it in one sitting.

Sadie is down on her luck. She has just been made redundant after 10 years at her job. She is in the job search office when she bumps into Mags, Lexi and Steph (all old work colleagues). Over a cup of coffee they catch up and each has their own sad story to tell since they lost their jobs. Mags not only lost her husband, b
Karen Shortridge
Aug 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was given this for my honest review, that said this is really a great read if you want humour, loyalty, fantastic characters and a story that you can believe then this is a book to read. There is Sadie she has been a manager over Mags, Steph and Lexi and they have built up a good work friendship but when they get made redundant they go they separate ways. After a few months they bump into each at the job centre, each of them struggling to find work so they all go for a coffee and catch up. ...more
Tracey
Jun 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
* I have volunteered to share my review and all the opinions are 100% my own *

This is the story of Sadie and her colleagues who have all been made redundant from their jobs and find themselves at a loss what to do next.
A few months later Sadie is in the job centre and sees her former work colleagues and they decide to go for coffee and catch up. Hearing what each person has gone through from Mags finding she has breast cancer and something to help with her symptoms from chemo.
ItaPixie
Aug 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stars

I enjoyed this story so so much.This is one of my favorite books of the year.Laura Barnard wrote a nice story, with a bunch of characters very well portrayed,it seems you have known them for years.The book is both hysterical and emotional likes the characters that live between its pages.I've laughed a lot reading it and at the end I've also cried a little.

Victoria Robinson
Jun 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would like to thank Laura for sending me a copy of this to review in time for the re-release with a brand new cover.

After being made redundant Sadie and her colleagues soon find themselves needing to make some cash QUICK, and what better way to do it than by selling “Weed Brownies” to the other ladies at her friend’s chemo sessions? After all they do believe that Cannabis is meant to help.

But of course it’s not quite that simple, not only are they being investigated by
Laura Holland
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well Laura Barnard has managed to do it again! Smashed it out the park! Hit a home run! She has yet again created a well developed romance and a hilarious group of characters.
She has achieved to combine romance and humour perfectly yet again, which is why I'm no stranger to this author and her books.

The storyline is unique and I can honestly say I've never read one quite like it before, which as a avid reader is always a wonderful surprise!
The majority of the book is written in Sadie's POV bu
Millennial Life Crisis Bookshelf - Samantha
Sadie has worked her way up from living on the streets, and for the past ten years has worked an honest job in order to provide for herself. When her entire department is laid off, while although she freaks out, feels sure that she will bounce back, especially after the way she left after the layoff. Months later, nobody from her department has found other work, and they are all drowning in bills and bad luck. From their bad luck stems an idea to get their bills paid and back on their feet as a ...more
Janine
May 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a ride! I didn’t know what to expect from one minute to the next.

When Sadie and the girls in her department are laid off from their job and they can’t find another job, they don’t know what they will do for money. But, when one of the women confesses she has cancer and wants to try marijuana, an idea is set into motion. They will make pot brownies to sell to the other patients going through chemo. Once they start selling, all sorts of craziness starts happening. But, there is one speck of
Tanya Rae ~ TaSTy WordGasms
Dopey Women by Laura Barnard is a standalone romance and is Sadie and Harry’s story.

Dopey Women is like no other book of fiction that I have read before. I had no idea what this title meant but I found out and it makes complete sense now.

Sadie along with several of her co-workers have lost their jobs and they have no-where to turn to. Sadie comes up with the idea to sell marijuana to ladies that are going through chemo.

There are some LOL moments but also the seriousness of selling
Maureen Moyes
Nov 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mbd-reviewed, kindle
I do enjoy a fun romantic book and I know when I pick up a Laura Barnard book I will not be disappointed!

I’ve read a few of her books (see blog for my reivews) and happily still have a few in reserve for when I need a pick-me-up.

I love the way this author writes. It is an easy to read style which pulls you into the story. There is so much humour but there is a serious aspect to the story and characters which had me laughing out loud in some parts and shedding a tear elsew
KarenLou NorthandSouthBlog
Great story!

after getting made redundant Sadie and her co workers decide to start selling drugs to patients going through chemo, but then a hot police officer start sniffing around, looking for who is set up a new business in the area this leads to things getting serious when threats start coming in from the drug dealer that sells in that area.

Sadie has to decide whether to confess to the hot police officer or carry on?

Harry is quite arrogant at times so he deserves a sl
Deena Allouni
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book ❤❤❤ i hugged it when i got to the ending ❤❤ it gave me good laughs it’s soooo heart warming, filled with soooo much love and emotions, if i could i would rate it 10 stars!! Definitely should be turned into a movie and that ending deserves an Oscar ❤❤ Laura Barnard is a brilliant author ...more
Rubi
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh Sadie! You are such a hot mess. You get into the weirdest most hilarious situations and it’s impossible not to laugh. You had me turning pages so fast to see how you’d get out of them all. And what is the deal with Harry? He is so fine. *swoon*
That ending made this book perfect. Way to go Laura. Another hilarious book.
kate
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book

I love reading this books, so well written, funny and very enjoyable. The author really brings the book to life, making you fall in love with the main character Sadie,
Definitely read more of Laura barnards work.
Jackie corrigan
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed

Really loving laura barnard books at the moment this is the fourth one and I love her take on each character
Marla
Aug 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I am so sad to have finished this book! I didn’t want to say goodbye to these characters, they were loony, but real. They were sensitive, but fierce. They were funny, but emotional. This was a roller coaster, with its ups and downs, looping us all around, but by the time it was done I was ready for it to start all over again.

I love how Laura writes; she is very creative and sassy. I felt like I was watching a movie or a sitcom. I don’t know maybe with characters like Sex in the City, but they l
Karen
Aug 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was thrilled when Laura Barnard asked if I would be interesting in reviewing her book, Dopey Women. It had been on my TBR for a while so, of course, I jumped at the chance! I was also thrilled to have a slow night at work so I could pretty much just sit back and do nothing but read (between bouts of actual work, of course).

Sadie and the rest of her team -- Steph, Mags and Lexi -- have been let go from their jobs out of the blue. Sadie completely loses it and, in the process, any ho
Heavenly
Aug 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
ARC provided by the author in exchange for an honest review.

What can I say? It was amazing. I enjoyed this book a lot! From the first page the story sucked me in and wouldn't let go. I read in one sitting. Maybe 4-5 hours? It was that Good!

The story flows perfectly and characters are brilliantly developed. Simply amazing.

The main character, Sadie, after 10 years at her current job she has been made redundant. Gone her years of hard work, of long hours. One day, during job search, s
E.A.
Aug 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
( I received this ARC free form the Author in exchange for my honest review )

Oh wow, I loved this book.

The plot was not only unique, it stayed on point, never lost focused, and it was surprising. I loved all the characters, their struggles and just connecting with each one on a emotional level. I never knew I could feel so much for fictional characters as I have with these woman. Each struggle, heart break, happiness, and joy, I felt.

I was sad when this was over, but fulfilled. For me I f(
Linda Field
Aug 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A hysterical epic read.

I love Laura Barnards writing style. It has everything you want romantic, gripping, hilariously funny, sexy and just brilliant.

Dopey Women is just WOW.
From the start I was laughing so hard, I sent Laura a message to say you need to wear Tenna Ladies to read this book.
There are a few main characters in this book and they all work so well together. Sadie and her girls bounce off each other, and Harry is just yummy yummy.

My favourite two are Sa
Natalie Townson
Aug 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Laura Barnard - Author is quite possibly one of my all time favorite authors. Whatever this women releases has me doubled over nearly wetting pants in laughter. Seriously this lady gets humor.

The reason that i love Laura's stories is because you always relate to the characters, these women could be you or your best friend and that makes it more real. Sadie is no different.

After clawing herself out of a tough upbringing Sadie has finally managed to get a job she wanted unt
Jennifer Collin
Jan 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I fell in love with the premise of this book before I even turned a page and it absolutely lived up to my expectations. It's ludicrous, hilarious and a whole lot of fun.

Laura Barnard writes the kind of stuff I love to read - potty-mouthed heroines and steamy sex scenes. Uh huh. Dopey Women lays it on thick and juicy. Sadie is a terrific lead character - smart, caring but not immune to the occasional act of stupidity. She's supported by a fun cast of misfits, each endearing in their own way and
Gillian Caulkin
Jan 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book had me on a rollercoaster of emotions. It is funny, sad and pulls on the heartstrings. Sadie, Maggie, Lexi and Steph all work at the same firm and all get made redundant at the same time! They meet again by accident at the job center a few months later all desperate and in need of cash. Mags is diagnosed with cancer and tells them some women there find cannabis helps. They decide to go into the drug business just for these women but it soon escalates. There is a gorgeous sexy cop after ...more
Laura Jackson
Jul 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Take four women unexpectedly made redundant, struggling to get new jobs and getting desperate for cash, add in chemo treatment and a confession about wanting to try marijuana to assist with the side effects and boom an answer to all your problems is formed! Kind of, as some problems are sorted out new, deadlier ones are created.

I didn't know how a book about drug dealing, domestic violence and love could be funny but Laura Barnard has managed it - it had me laughing to the point of t

• This Lie Will Kill You
  • Ten Days with the Highlander
  • The Family Secret
  • Roar
  • A Deathly Silence (DCI Helen Lavery #3)
  • The Light in the Hallway
  • Road Trip
  • Losing My Inhibitions: Finally Free And Ready To Have Fun...
  • I Heart Hawaii (I Heart Series, Book 8)
  • Reckless
  • Deadly Harm
  • Our Stop
  • Poppy's Recipe for Life
  • One Summer in Paris
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
  • Neverwake (Dreamfall #2)
  • Lust: Lavinia Urban's Seven Deadly Sins Series
  • أمنيتي أن أقتل رجلا
Laura Barnard lives in Hertfordshire, UK and writes romantic comedy or 'chick lit' as its so often described. In her spare time she enjoys drinking her body weight in tea, indulging in cupcakes the size of her face and drooling over hunks like Jamie Dornan, Ryan Gosling and Leo Dicaprio.

She enjoys wearing yoga pants and reading fitness magazines while sitting on the sofa eating chocolate. S