Start by marking “Science Comics: Coral Reefs: Cities of the Ocean” as Want to Read:
Science Comics: Coral Reefs: Cities of the Ocean

Science Comics: Coral Reefs: Cities of the Ocean

(Science Comics)

Every volume of Science Comics offers a complete introduction to a particular topic--dinosaurs, coral reefs, the solar system, volcanoes, bats, flying machines, and more. These gorgeously illustrated graphic novels offer wildly entertaining views of their subjects. Whether you're a fourth grader doing a natural science unit at school or a thirty-year-old with a secret pass ...more
Published March 29th 2016 by First Second

To ask other readers questions about Science Comics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Science Comics

First Second Books
Mar 31, 2016 marked it as first-second-publications
Maris' wonderful cartoony art and super-awesome scientific knowledge combine for a great comic about the science of coral reefs in this graphic novel!

This is wonderful first entry to First Second's Science Comics series. You'll fall in love with Maris' adorable fishes and never look back!

(Also I love that the underwater fish narrator wears glasses! That's so great.)
Clare Lund
Jul 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a cool series! Highly engaging and informative for ages 8 and up.
Amber (bookstacksamber)
I bought this book along with me to babysit a few weeks ago, and as soon as the seven year old (let's call him Fox) saw it, he said, "No, not a chapter book!" I explained that it wasn't a chapter book, and opened up to a random page. His eyes got so big and he shouted, "It's a comic book!!!" He immediately demanded that we read it before bedtime.

Here's what we thought...

There is a wordy intro by a marine scientist that Fox wasn't interested in, but I read it myself after the kids went to bed an
Harker
Apr 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review as part of the blog tour.

The drawings in this book were the most charming part and it was quite fun to read it to my son. Now, given his age, I didn't read the exact text to him because it's definitely above his pay grade. Reading it myself, I found it very educational, though a bit steep in some parts considering the intended audience. It was in depth and luckily the artwork made the facts more palatable tha
Amber
Such an informative book. I love the illustrations and colors used. I love that a little fish is the narrator and takes you on an awesome journey through coral reefs and some of its inhabitants. Probably my favorite Science Comic I have read so far.
Stephanie (Reading is Better With Cupcakes)
Well, I will be the first to admit that I have never really had much of an interest in coral reefs. To me they were just a thing in the ocean. I don't even know if I ever really considered them to be a plant, an animal, or even alive.

Needless to say, I really didn't know very much about them and what little I had learned way back when I was a kid had obviously been forgotten.

Not any more though. This book is full of information! And it is put into an easy and fun format. I definitely learned a l
Abby Johnson
A fun and informational introduction to coral reefs, this book contains TONS of science info. Maris Wicks does a great job of starting from the beginning with each subject, whether it's the difference between animals & plants when introducing the reader to coral or what climate change is when talking about how the environment affects coral reefs. Even kids who think they know a lot about coral reefs and the ocean will probably learn something new from this book.... and they will enjoy doing ...more
Reading is my Escape
Coral Reefs

The Science Comics series uses the graphic novel format to inform kids (and adults) about popular topics. In this case, the topic is coral reefs. The narrator is a sassy yellow goby fish who explains the facts about coral reefs and their inhabitants. There is a wealth of information in this book, and it may be a bit much for younger kids. Then again, if they are interested in the subject, kids can remember a surprising number of facts. The illustrations are bright and beautiful, an
Heidi
Sep 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wicks and First Second has done the world of children's literature a favor by creating these Science Comics that highlight fascinating information about the world. The bright, colorful illustrations are bound to attract loads of young readers and the fascinating facts and funny narrator (a fish) are bound to keep them turning the pages. This short quick read was surprisingly full of information and may lead young readers into seeking out other books on the same topic. A fabulous choice for child ...more
Paul Orsino
Jan 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a GREAT resource and nonfiction book. Students will be thrilled to find the nonfiction genre delivered through the graphic novel medium. The humor and illustrations will grab the attention of any reader. I can't wait to continue reading this series!
Donalyn
Outstanding science information and a playful tone. Must-own for classroom and school libraries.
Lola
What a great idea it is to make comics about interesting scientific subjects.

Why is it a great idea? Well, a lot of kids have interest in dinosaurs, bats and dogs, for instance, but don’t necessarily want to read a nonfiction or picture book about them. What happens is that picture books are usually very short, so they cover the basics only, and the more common book format can be challenging (and less fun).

I, for one, enjoy discussing animals and scientific phenomena, but the quickest way to ma
Amanda
Jan 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Each title in this series focuses on providing the reader with a complete introduction to basic scientific topics, and is brought to you by a different creative team. The subjects are written and drawn with care to be engaging, readable and presented in a way that is accessible to readers of all ages while remaining firmly based in scientific fact. For example, the volume Dinosaurs: Fossils and Feathers uses a recurring theme of how humans interact with or interpret fossils through time. Sometim ...more
SaraKat
I have to admit, I found this boring and dry and more like reading an encyclopedia than what I was expecting. I read another in this series (about dinosaurs) first and it was so good that I was expecting more from this one. Putting a cartoon fish in the book and having it make really terrible jokes the whole times doesn't jazz up an encyclopedia. I feel like the content is for an older age than would enjoy the cartoony, juvenile humor. And I found one portion unforgivable. The author presented a ...more
Jes
Jun 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel, animal
These Science comics are a lot of fun and this was a fast paced topic, which is impressive if you take a look at how much ground it covers. Animal Kingdoms and Phylums are kind of where I'm interested in improving my knowledge of (just because I think it'd be cool). This book introduced lots of complex concepts in a silly, easy to grasp dialogue.

My biggest criticism is the lack of calling out the biggest perpetrators of pollution and contributions to climate change: factory farming. Without a m
Aug 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Having read the graphic novel "Primates" by the same illustrator, I dove into the other science comics that she has written & illustrated, starting with this one. While a lot of the scientific concepts are simplified (obviously), the accessibility of big ideas - coral bleaching, climate change, ocean acidification - makes this a really great starting point for those interested in coral reefs and their impact on us all, even if we live thousands of miles from the ocean itself! 77

Definitely a
Shannon Leal
Dec 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
4 Stars
Genre: Informational
A unique feature about this book is that it is all informational in comic book form. It is full of a TON of information, but instead of reading it in a text book, it is more fun because it is like a comic book. I can't believe how much information they were able to put in this book!

Grades: 3-8
Date Completed: November 20
MaryBeth
Jul 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very clear introduction to coral reefs, as well as some basic science concepts like the classification system of living things, the water cycle, and climate. The illustrations are detailed. The humor in this book will appeal to readers in the middle grades.
Leah Rose Kessler
This was a great book. Fun, informative, and fantastic illustrations. It was shelved in the teen section in my library and I don’t understand why. It would be great if they had two copies and could shelve it there and in the children’s section because I think it’s a good read for all ages.
Marcia
May 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
A fun graphic novel jam-packed with information. The book explains coral reefs, the animals that live there complete with Latin names, the water cycle, the food chain and much more. Perfect for my many budding marine biologists.
Carolyn
Sep 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Students who enjoy graphic novels will be drawn to this nonfiction version. All about Coral Reefs, students will be able to read this in comic book fashion, but also gain knowledge about how coral reefs are formed, what animals live there, where they are located, and much more.
Angela
Jun 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
I learned so much about coral reefs in such a fun way. The graphic novel format was enjoyable, the narrator was humorous, and the facts were very interesting. It made me want to learn more about coral reefs and the ocean. I also look forward to reading more books in the Science Comics series.
Information on what coral is, coral's ecosystem, and how global warming is destroying coral- also includes introduction to many types of sea life according to classification, coral research, and what we can do to save the coral.
Tia Garrigues
Sep 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Informative with cute drawings of the ocean species that make up coral reefs. This book also explains scientific classification and the world's dependency on coral reefs. A very good (read: not boring) science book.
Jolene Yaksich
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book for kids to read amazing information about coral reefs with great illustrations.
Ashleigh Rose
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What an amazing, high-interest, nonfiction book! 1000% pairing this with our reading of World Without Fish. Love love love. So fun!
Emery
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must read for anyone.
Fernanda Fadel
Jun 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
The drawings and he general idea are wonderful. I just wish it had more story, it felt like a Zoology class in school.
Erica
The information was accessible, although I think all the scientific names will make it difficult for many of my students.
Awjtf

• Science Comics: Plagues: The Microscopic Battlefield
  • Science Comics: Dogs: From Predator to Protector
  • Otters Love to Play
  • Science Comics: Flying Machines: How the Wright Brothers Soared
  • Monsters Beware! (Chronicles of Claudette, #3)
  • Star Scouts
  • Mighty Jack and the Goblin King (Mighty Jack, #2)
  • The Great Pet Escape
  • If Sharks Disappeared
  • The Stratford Zoo Midnight Revue Presents Romeo and Juliet (Stratford Zoo Midnight Revue, #2)
  • Can an Aardvark Bark?
  • Peter & Ernesto: A Tale of Two Sloths
  • The Mushroom Fan Club
  • Science Comics: Robots and Drones: Past, Present, and Future
  • Lesser Spotted Animals
  • Pink Is for Blobfish: Discovering the World's Perfectly Pink Animals
  • Last of the Sandwalkers

Science Comics (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Science Comics: Bats: Learning to Fly