Start by marking “Nobody Likes a Goblin” as Want to Read:
Nobody Likes a Goblin

Nobody Likes a Goblin

Goblin, a cheerful little homebody, lives in a cosy, rat-infested dungeon, with his only friend, Skeleton. Every day, Goblin and Skeleton play with the treasure in their dungeon. But one day, a gang of "heroic" adventurers bursts in. These marauders trash the place, steal all the treasure, and make off with Skeleton—leaving Goblin all alone!

It's up to Goblin to save the da
Published June 7th 2016 by First Second

To ask other readers questions about Nobody Likes a Goblin, please sign up.
Danica Midlil Geeky adults would get a kick out of seeing a dungeon campaign from the foe's perspective! I'd say the older crowd will get even more of the hilarity.…moreGeeky adults would get a kick out of seeing a dungeon campaign from the foe's perspective! I'd say the older crowd will get even more of the hilarity. (less)

Hannah Greendale
Oct 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Goblin is perfectly happy in his cave, thank you very much. He has pet rats, a tasty boot to eat, and the companionship of Skeleton, his very best friend who lives in the Treasure Room. When a band of adventurers loot Gobin's cave, he's presented with a quest.

The adventurers took everything.
They took the gold.
They took the maps, the books,
the gems, and the scrolls.
And they took Skeleton.
So Goblin put on his crown
and walked out into the wide
world to find his friend.

With alluring watercolor
First Second Books
Jun 10, 2016 marked it as first-second-publications
Ben Hatke lives in DC, so when he turned this book in, he took the bus up to New York and gave us the art for it in person.

It was awesome!

Seeing the watercolors for this book all laid out on our conference room table was a marvelous experience -- and the book looks even better.
Spencer Orey
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
My toddler loves Julia's House for Lost Creatures, and we were thrilled to find this book at the library. It's a blast and inverts the classic D&D-style adventurer party plundering a dungeon narrative (even though my kid obviously doesn't know anything about that). Touching, sweet, and the illustrations are gorgeous. A++ great goblins, great fun.
Jen
Sep 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a super cute read, I really loved the determined look on Goblin's face when he put his crown on to go get his friend back! I was kind of confused about the wench tied up in the adventurer's cart and how a small horde of goblins could possibly scare an adventuring party away, rather than getting slaughtered.

Sorry, I'm a D&Der, this is really cute, but not true to how a gaming group of adults works. I guess for a kids' group, but I never played in a kids group, so I couldn't say.

Fou
Calista
This turns the fantasy story upside down on it's head. What happens when you are happy and content in your dungeon and a group of loud adventurers burst in and steal all your stuff and your best friend and off they go? Well, you go get them of course.

This book was so much action and fun and heart. I dare anyone to resist the charms of Nobody Likes a Goblin. I think everyone will like the Goblin King after reading this story. This reminds me a little of the Ugly Duckling. Everyone chases you and
Sven Robertson
Mar 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
In the interest of full disclosure, I received a complimentary advanced electronic copy of NOBODY LIKES A GOBLIN through Netgalley.

Something tells me that before Ben Hatke wrote this book he took out his 20-sided die and won his saving throw against writer’s block because NOBODY LIKES A GOBLIN is in the top five best children’s books I have ever enjoyed. If you have ever enjoyed role-playing games, Tolkien novels, or just cheering for the underdog, you have no reason to read further. Just buy t
Kristie
Sep 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, 2016, gcac_2017
Cute story about a little goblin who goes out into the big world to save his friend, Skeleton. Not much to it, but cute nonetheless. I'm sure little kids will love it.
Jessica
Feb 09, 2016 rated it liked it
I think I may be the odd voice out here, but this picture book will probably appeal more to nerd/geek parents (or aunts/uncles; grandparents) than children. While I enjoyed it, and loved the pictures, I really cannot see a general appeal here since I doubt the majority of children (or parents) are overly familiar with the character classes that inhabit the world of D&D and RPG's.

Still, a lovely little book with a relatively positive message about self-image and self-acceptance. "Relatively"
Mary Catelli
Feb 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Got a freebie through Goodreads.

A light, cheerful picture book with charming art. And some tweaks that any D&D player will know. . . 'cause Goblin is living in his cave (without monsters in the complex) until adventurers clean out the cave complex , including his best friend Skeleton. So Goblin sets out.

Nice touches like a pair of small dragons watching him along the way.
Erica
I read this to Evie while Gabe was making dinner the other night.

photo IMG_20170404_111450_zpsszji5vf5.jpg

You'll note that she is looking to see where the goblin is going to land when he falls off the edge of the book. She hates gobble-ums, just hates them. No, not as much as she hates yuckoons because they mock her, after all, but gobble-ums are right up there because they want to eat her (I may have told her there were goblins outside waiting to eat her and that's why she has to stay indoors at night and when I'm not home)
At any ra
Attila Cthulhuson
Jan 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cute-kids-books
This was fantastically cute. This is the sort of book that you get for your D&D-loving comrade when they procure offspring.

Goblin's friend Skeleton is kidnapped by adventurers who raided their dungeon seeking loot. They grabbed up skeleton (who wears a crown and armor) and toss him on a cart of loot, along with much gold, treasure chests, a goose who was friends with a troll, and a surly young maiden. The adventurers are assholes, seeking only "loot" and nothing else. Yet everyone hates a go
David Schaafsma
Nov 13, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
Each year I and my family read and rate all the Goodreads picture book nominees. This one is nominated for 2016. I make a few comments and then add their separate ratings and a comment from each of them. There's 20 (15 first round and 5 new ones for the semi-final round) and this is the fourteenth being rated. My rating might be somewhat influenced by the family, naturally.

This was published by comics publisher First Second and done by a comics/illustrator guy. Fantasy story for kids. I thought
Jasmine
Super cute, and best tiny dragons ever. Also friendship. (These reviews are really struggling. Just read it, okay?)
Zaz
Jun 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Yey for minorities! It was nice to see the point of view of the goblin and his friends and I felt a little ashamed for roaming caverns and dungeons to fight the poor creatures and steal their treasures. The characters and adventures were introduced in a nice way, with some suspense, and nothing was frightening which was nice as these characters are usually on the creepy side. The story was well paced and the art worked well. It's really always a pleasure to read something by Ben.
Jacob
Nov 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens, fantasy
Excellent!! A wonderful fantasy tale that pokes a little fun at fantasy tropes while entertaining with a good solid story with amazingly beautiful art! Also I enjoyed the way the story ended quite a bit!
Mar 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What a delightful picture book. I love that the Goblin is the hero of this story and the adventurers are the bad guys. People going on quests should think about who they are stealing from. And in this case they stole not only the Goblin's gold, but his best friend, Skeleton. So Goblin goes off in search of his friend, but nobody likes a goblin, so he keeps being chased.

(view spoiler)
Mississippi Library Commission
Ben Hatke has hit a home run with this ode to fantasy and friendship. The illustrations are amazing and the message is golden.
Kris Patrick
Got to hear Ben Hatke read this aloud last night. He is wonderful!
Lauren
Jan 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
     In his newest picturebook, "Nobody Likes a Goblin", author and illustrator Ben Hatke turns traditional folklore upside down and sets out to defend a character that's usually portrayed in an unfavorable light. From Tolkien's Middle-earth to Warcraft to Dungeons and Dragons, nobody's ever liked the goblins. They're the villains, the lowlifes, and the scoundrels. But in Hatke's story, the goblin is the hero.

This book is truly a work of art, and the illustrations merit study and attentio
Maxwell Rae
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book! I chuckled on quite a few of the pages. I think my favourite were the elves, no the bats, are no, I liked all of them!
A Reader's Heaven
(I received a copy of this book from Net Galley in exchange for an honest review.)

It's up to Goblin to save the day. But first he's going to have to leave th
Kati
Feb 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Found this today at the library and was absolutely wowed! The story is fabulously fun. We get to see the story of adventurers and wizards and elves from the side of the goblin.... When they sneak into this quiet little goblin's cave and steal not just the things, but his best friend Skeleton, Goblin knows he must go after them. And so he goes. And along the way he finds out that Wizards and Elves and Adventurers just aren't very appreciative of goblins. But, you know who DOES like a goblin? A go ...more
Nicola Mansfield
Jun 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is from First Second's line of picture books (kind of a first introduction to graphic novels). As can always be expected from Ben Hatke this is a lovely book with wonderful illustrations. I collect skeletons, and always love a book with a skeleton as the main character. All the makings of a fun fantasy with Goblins, a troll and elves, plus other creatures in the background. My favourite part was when the "Adventurers" raided Goblin's cave and there was a warrior, mage, dwarf and thief just ...more
erin
Sep 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
well, I don't have familiarity with D+D, but I am my kiddo is still the target audience for this -- delighted with monster-friendship-bravery stories. Kiddo solidly claims Hatke as his fave author thanks to Zita, Little Robot, and now this one! 4.5 stars
Bridget
Oct 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What a charming book! An adventure tale and a lovely story about friendship.
Christopher
Sep 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
It was so stinking cute! And I absolutely loooove his illustrations!
Rachel
Just delightful! Love the context and message the illustrations are amazing!
Josh
Dec 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
Such a fun story that breaks the standards of standard fantasy and role playing stories. And the illustrations are pretty great.
Kathryn
Nov 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Who wouldn't like a goblin even though they tend to be a little dirty. And skeleton, he was adorable. A great book.
Sarah N
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
What fun! What a clever twist on the typical high fantasy adventure quest! I chuckled to myself several times while reading. Hatke's illustrations are so delightfully expressive.

• Leave Me Alone!
  • Lizard from the Park
  • When I Was Small
  • The Whisper
  • We Found A Hat
  • Toys Meet Snow: Being the Wintertime Adventures of a Curious Stuffed Buffalo, a Sensitive Plush Stingray, and a Book-loving Rubber Ball
  • Creepy Pair of Underwear!
  • The Uncorker of Ocean Bottles
Ben Hatke is an author and illustrator of graphic novels and picture books. Most notably he is the creator of the Zita the Spacegirl graphic novel series.

He posts art and stories online at:

www.benhatke.com