Start by marking “Compass South (Four Points #1)” as Want to Read:
Compass South (Four Points #1)

Compass South

(Four Points #1)

It’s 1860 in New York City. When 12-year-old twins Alexander and Cleopatra’s father disappears, they join the Black Hook Gang and are caught by the police pulling off a heist. They agree to reveal the identity of the gang in exchange for tickets to New Orleans. But once there, Alex is shanghaied to work on a ship that is heading for San Francisco via Cape Horn. Cleo stows ...more
Published June 28th 2016 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Compass South, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Compass South

David Schaafsma
Cher's 1971 hit, "Tramps and Thieves":

So, I've been quickly reviewing Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials series (and the comics version) as I prepare to read his recently released The Book of Dust, and in the process saw this first volume of The Four Points series, Compass South, which I read last year, and its second volume, in a pile of books, so finally will review, very briefly:

This is an adventure story, without the politics or religion of Pullman's
Lata
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Lots of swash and adventuring in this beautifully illustrated story of a sister and her twin brother, a lost/absent father, a possible treasure, the girl pretending to be a boy, thieves, pirates, nefarious schemes and plenty of action. A quick and fun read.
Erica
Manhattan, 1860. Red-headed twins Cleopatra and Alexander find themselves burglaring for an orphan street gang after their father goes out to a job one day and never returns. A run-in with the police and an ad in the paper send them off on an ocean adventure that includes another set of red-headed twins, some pirates, heirlooms that are more than what they appear, and finding out who they are as individuals.

It's a fun, fast-paced, sea-adventure graphic novel with diverse characters and a forward
Chris Schweizer
Jun 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Compass South is one of the best adventure comics I’ve read in years. Hope Larson’s script delivers a propulsive narrative with engaging characters, and Rebecca Mock’s expressive art masterfully flushes the world of 1860 and the folks who live in it.

As dialogue goes, many historical comics create an obstacle for readers. Either the author offers up text that is too wrapped up in period syntax to make for an easy read (leading a prospective younger audience struggle), or they eschew that syntax
Kelly Gunderman
Check out this and other reviews on my young adult book blog, Here's to Happy Endings!

Compass South was originally published in 2016, and I hadn't heard about it until the awesome folks over at :01 First Second Books invited me to join the blog tour for the sequel, Knife's Edge. Also, I really hadn't been into graphic novels until very recently, so I guess that's another reason I hadn't heard of it. But now that I'm obsessed with graphic novels, I jumped on the chance to check this out - I mean,
Francesca
This reminded me a lot of Amulet, I really liked the friendship and the adventure.
Sylvester
4* art
4* story

A fun adventure with treasure and two sets of twins and a lost father...
Carrie
May 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
Julie
Dec 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
True story: yesterday I was at the bookstore, and I overheard a grandmother asking a clerk to help her find a book for her grandson. She had a short list of titles, but could not find any of them on the shelves. I hear the bookseller say, "Oh, that's because these are with the graphic novels." After a short pause (I wish I could have seen their faces!), she added, "Graphic novels as in novels with lots of pictures, not GRAPHIC novels!", and I heard the grandmother let out a big breath and say, " ...more
Anh
Oct 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book, I loved graphic novels and this is a great choice for everybody to read it. The ending was sad, I love it and I can’t wait for chapter 2 of this you should watch it, it is really good.
paula
Old-fashioned adventure on the high seas and in tropical jungles. Set in the nineteenth century, two sets of red-haired twins race from New York to San Francisco with pirates! on their tail. #bookaday
Kitkat
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book was really cute and loving. I loved how they are separated and how they miss each other. I thought it was adorable how Cleopatra's relationship with her guy. How she got jealous that he kissed someone was so cute and how they kissed each other. I cannot wait to see how the father is.
Anne
Jun 22, 2017 rated it liked it
"I bought 'er that shell from Tahiti. She sewed it over her eye patch so she could watch over me, no matter the distance between us."

This adventure novel has it all: rollicking fun, danger, heart, family bonds, and a pinch of budding romance. It's aimed at middle grade readers, so it's a fast read. But the plot kept me hooked, and I'm already excited to dive into book two.

The story revolves around a pair of twins who are separated while they are on the run from gangsters, pirates, and the law. T
Andrew Wolgemuth
I read this with our 5yo, and we both enjoyed it. The storyline stretched her (it's a visuals-centric tale with two sets of identical twins after all...and there are some ship names and a variety of geographic settings - details to track), but - with a few pauses to review who characters were and where in the world they were - it was a fun story.

As so often happens with main-character youth, Cleo and Alex's parents aren't in the picture. The adventures of untethered youth are interesting as any
Phillip Brunetti
Mar 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Graphic Novel Entry #2

"Compass South" by Hope Larson is a graphic novel targeted towards children who read at an intermediate grade level, 3rd-6th grade. I would identify as a Fantasy Fiction graphic novel because though the setting takes place in a somewhat realistic mid-1800s setting, the story includes ghosts, telepathy, and magical treasure maps.

Text-to-Self: The novel focuses on a pair of twins who become separated during a voyage to San Francisco. Most of the novel focuses on the twins sep
Bookish
This week I picked up Compass South, the first in a duology from Hope Larson and Rebecca Mock. It’s a book filled with pirates, gangsters, two pairs of twins, and deadly secrets. The artwork is stunning, and the story completely draws you in. I loved how strong the bond between twins Cleo and Alex was, but there are also themes of found families at work that are beautifully told. I’d highly recommend this graphic novel to readers looking for a fun and rollicking adventure. —Kelly (https://www.bo ...more
Ashley
May 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Fun enough that I'd read the next one, but I'm not too pressed to pick it up as this book had enough of a resolution to satisfy. Not nearly as queer as I'd like it to be. Why do girls dressed as boys always always always have to find a romance with a boy? Bit sick of that. Otherwise, great illustrations, fun colours, and an adventurous enough story.

Grade 4-7 interest level.
Lauren

This swashbuckling adventure immediately transported me back in time to a world filled with pirates, ships, gangs, lost family, and, of course, a search for treasure. Although there were a few too many coincidences to completely suspend disbelief, the characters were full of colorful personality and the plot was nonstop action. I am looking forward to booktalking this one!
Derek
Feb 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book on a whim at a comic convention. I thought it would be a quick read and hopefully an enjoyable one, but I was wrong. The story was a lot more complex than I originally thought it would be. In fact, it reminded me a lot of books like Treasure Island and Kidnapped. The artwork was clean and understandable, but also very complex and at times downright beautiful. This is supposed to be a book for young adults, but I would recommend it for any fans of adventure stories.
Craig Ranallo
Jun 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Picked this up because I had a feeling it might help me riddle out a character development hurdle in my own work. The hurdle has been vaulted and I had a very enjoyable time jumping. Quite a fun little adventure graphic novel.
Jennifer Y.
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4 1/2 Stars...Reviews soon
Kathleen
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
An adventure story about looking for family! Suitable for kids. Lots of narrow escapes and chase scenes, but little violence.
Rita (RitaBook)
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great adventurous story! Can't wait to see what happens in the next one when it comes out!
Winna
A quick read. Fun, fast paced, a great adventure with twists, turns, and wonderful characters. Lookin forward to the second book.
Mar 20, 2019 added it
PIRATES. STOWAWAYS. ROUNDING THE CAPE. everything 12 year old me would have loved and 27 year old me still enjoys :D
Lou Fillari
DAAAW the cuteness!
Momo
Mar 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Art was incredible. A fun adventure story! can't wait until the next one
ChristopherN
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I Thought It would be Really boring but it was actually really good
Nancy Kotkin
Story: 5 stars
Art: 4 stars

Fast-paced children's full-color graphic novel. A pair of orphaned twins goes on a cross-country adventure in 1860. A page-turner that includes an orphan gang, a child trafficker, a second pair of twins, an open-market brawl, train-hopping, high seas escapades, and swashbuckling pirates. Multiple villains heighten the conflict at every turn of events. Well plotted and effectively organized. The historical setting adds to this novel's charm. Art is not on the caliber of
Kristi
Aug 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
This upper elementary and early middle school adventure story will hit the spot with reluctant readers!

Orphaned red-headed twins (two sets!) are racing across the country trying to answer the ad of a rich man in San Francisco whose own red-headed twins are missing. One set races to swindle him out of his money, and one set to find a family. Pirates, gangs, stowaways, treasure maps, jungles, sailing ships and a hint of romance combine in the 1860's. Some great accurate historical touches, vibrant
  • The Creepy Case Files of Margo Maloo
  • The Time Museum (Time Museum, #1)
  • The Stone Heart (The Nameless City, #2)
  • The Sand Warrior (5 Worlds, #1)
  • Delilah Dirk and the King's Shilling (Delilah Dirk, #2)
  • Mighty Jack (Mighty Jack, #1)
  • Peter & Ernesto: A Tale of Two Sloths
  • Star Scouts
  • One Trick Pony
  • All's Faire in Middle School
  • Gaijin: American Prisoner of War
  • The Sign of the Black Rock (Three Thieves, #2)
  • NewsPrints
  • Feathers
  • Good Night, Planet
  • The Cardboard Kingdom
  • Paths & Portals (Secret Coders, #2)
  • Sparks!
Hope Larson is an American illustrator and comics artist. Hope Larson is the author of Salamander Dream, Gray Horses, Chiggers, and Mercury. She won a 2007 Eisner Award. She lives in Los Angeles, California.

Four Points (2 books)
  • Knife's Edge (Four Points #2)