Start by marking “Into White” as Want to Read:
Into White

Into White

3.21  ·  Rating details ·  564 Ratings  ·  189 Reviews
When a black teenager prays to be white and her wish comes true, her journey of self-discovery takes shocking--and often hilarious--twists and turns in this debut that people are sure to talk about.

LaToya Williams lives in Birmingham, Alabama, and attends a mostly white high school. She's so low on the social ladder that even the other black kids disrespect her. Only her o
Published September 13th 2016 by Feiwel & Friends

To ask other readers questions about Into White, please sign up.
Leslie Golden Racism is an offensive matter but nothing people younger than 15 haven't faced. The reading level is appropriate for adolescents and those who having…moreRacism is an offensive matter but nothing people younger than 15 haven't faced. The reading level is appropriate for adolescents and those who having trouble being accepted by their peers may identify with the central character.(less)
YA Novels of 2016
1,231 books — 9,546 voters
Rebel of the Sands by Alwyn HamiltonBlackhearts by Nicole CastromanThe Girl from Everywhere by Heidi HeiligEver the Hunted by Erin SummerillIvory and Bone by Julie Eshbaugh
YA Debuts 2016
261 books — 1,436 voters

More lists with this book...

Emily May
May 15, 2016 rated it did not like it
"Hey, Jesus?" I whispered, looking out of my bedroom window. "I can't take this anymore. This filth. This curse. This... race."
***
"Please Lord, anything but black."

This could have been a very interesting book about race, racism (external and internalized) as well as self-image, but it just didn't work. It was messy, overly-simplistic and, if you'll excuse the pun, very black and white.

I've been counting down the days to this book's release. A story where a black girl prays to be white and has
Bodea
Sep 16, 2015 marked it as maybe
This is either gonna be really good or really bad.
Riley
Dec 17, 2016 marked it as did-not-finish
I tried. I really did.
I knew going into this that the concept of a black girl's wish to turn white comes true would be a hit or miss. And this totally missed.
Instead of dismantling racial stereotypes this seemed to just reinforce them. No one in this book is seen as anything but their skin color.
The writing also felt very juvenile and seemed better fitting of a middle grade title.
Liselle Sambury
Sep 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
TRIGGER WARNING: discussions of rape and attempted rape scene

The Good Bits.

Latoya

I related a lot to Latoya, in thinking of how I felt growing up and also in her current life. She's frustrated with the skin colour she was born into and sees the injustice that comes along with it. There's clearly a lot of desperation for her to live in a world that caters to her vs. one that criminalizing her. Sometimes she frustrated me, but I understood her more deeply than I have any character I've ever read.

Su
Kali Wallace
Jun 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Randi Pink's INTO WHITE is heartfelt, painful, profound, and incredibly important--an exploration into racism, sexism, and classism in modern America, an unflinching look at the bigotry and prejudices that wear people down from the outside and gnaw at them from the inside, but ultimately hopeful--about people, about the world, about the fact that things can get better. It's about faith and family and a loving, gentle look at where strength comes from.

It's also really, really, really funny. I fe
Kate (GirlReading)
Into White was one of my highly anticipated releases of 2016 but sadly I was a little disappointed.
I wasn't the biggest fan of the writing style but for me, the main thing that I didn't enjoy was that I felt as though it perpetuated and reinforced some harmful stereotypes and stigmas surrounding topics such as eating disorders and sexual harassment. Once I read these aspects, amongst other things I didn't love too much, I found it hard to enjoy the reading experience!

I did think certain aspects
Paula M. of Her Book Thoughts!
WOW. Hold hands with me and let us hope together that this book will be AMAZING.
Alice Cai
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 4-star-5-star, 5-star
5* (Tbh I think the characters in this are great. All super interesting and entertaining.)
IT HAS A GOOD MESSAGE IN THE END OK

Wow...I don't even know where to start. I'm pretty sure this is racist. Every single negative stereotype about black and white people was in this. I loved when the white dude showed up and started talking about FOX news. On that note, THIS IS THE GREATEST OFFENSIVE HUMOR BOOK EVER. Every time something stereotypically fucked up was introduced I just smiled to myself. Oh go
India Hill
Nov 28, 2016 rated it liked it
This book was enjoyable, the concept was super interesting, but there are two problems I've had with this book! I feel as though Toya's exploration into loving her blackness was based more off of missing the LIFE she had while she was Black, not her actual blackness. On the contrary, I feel like the only thing keeping Toya from not liking being White was her personal White experience. There wasn't a clear moment, to me, where Toya thought she was beautiful because of her Blackness, not in spite ...more
Merphy Napier
Oct 09, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: two-stars
My very first impression of this book was how racist it seemed to black people. Every black character was stereotypical and victimized. It honestly sounded like a white person trying to apologies for their race.

Then I looked up the author and found out that she was a black woman. So I said, "Hey, I have no idea what it's like to be black, maybe this is how it is for some people - especially in the deep south."

Then, when our main character turns white and we start interacting with white people
Annamaria
Feb 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
"I'd never been so sure of anything in my life: White would be better. Now, I wasn't so sure."

I marked this book it as to read as soon as it showed up on Goodreads because a) the cover just caught my eye and didn't let go and b) I had just added Blackass to my list, which has a very similar premise, but being Into White a young adult I thought it would have been closer to me.

What I was expecting from this story was a deeper look into racial differences and racism in general, seen from the point
YupIReadIt
Jan 06, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
NO JUST NO! I'm not even going to finish this.
The FountainPenDiva, Old school geek chick and lover of teddy bears
It took me a day to finish this, but I needed time to collect my thoughts. I'm still trying to process it all, so this review is going to be totally raw. I'm going to have a LOT to say.

Into White is a novel in which white supremacy is not centered in the ways we're used to. White people are not the default heroes here. There are no #notallWhitepeople characters having their V-8 moments. Yes, most of the main white characters are caricatures (with a dash of truth), which to me was the point. Aft
Caleb Roehrig
This is a touching and heartfelt book, filled with humor and hope and some very important lessons about identity and learning to love yourself. INTO WHITE is a modern fairy tale by way of The Twilight Zone - a Cinderella story in which Cinderella discovers, only by having her most fervent wish granted, that she's been wishing for the wrong thing all along. It's a brilliant premise, and a novel that will speak to countless young people who are trapped in the ugly echo chamber of self-loathing.

Ran
Aya Hamza
Sep 27, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: ya, magical-realism
“Hey, Jesus?” I whispered, looking out of my bedroom window. “I can't take this anymore. This filth. This curse. This ... race.”
***
The next part came out as a whimper. “You said that if I seek you first, the rest shall be added to me. Well, my rest is the power to wake up any race I want.
Please, Lord, anything but black.”

The premise of this book intrigued me, but it turned out to be a big disappointment.
Saania Zee Jamal ϟ
Jan 02, 2016 marked it as someday-maybe
I can already sense someone or the other getting offended over this book... ಠ_ಠ *fingers crossed she pulls it off*
JumbleofJargon
Oct 07, 2016 rated it it was ok
Updated 1-18-17
After discussing this with a friend, I find that the way Randi Pink approaches this topic is too superficial. This is potentially dangerous because eating disorders are discussed casually as a villainous/heinous attribute and one of the major subjects this book focuses on - race - is sophomorically simplified to physical appearance and attire that goes best with one's complexion. After dwelling on this for awhile even though some elements of the story were good, I don't think it'
Jennifer Bardsley
Oct 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
"Into White" by Randi Pink is an #OwnVoices book you don't want to miss. It tells the story of a teen girl named LaToya who goes to a lily-white public school in Birmingham Alabama where she feels unloved by everyone but her older brother. In the first few pages of the book Toya prays to Jesus to change her into a white person. Poof! Toya's prayers get answered...and that's when her real troubles begin.

What I loved about "Into White" was how richly developed all the African American characters w
Chelsey
Aug 18, 2016 rated it did not like it
Latoya and her older brother, Alex, are social outcasts at their Montgomery, Alabama high school. Not ghetto enough for the black kids and not white, they're shunned and humiliated on a daily basis. Toya prays every day that she could've been white instead of black, until one day, Jesus shows up in her room and tells her He'll grant her prayer. The next day, Toya wakes up as Katarina, the physical embodiment of Barbie. But is the grass really greener on the other side?

What could have been an ins
CW (Read Think Ponder)
I heard that when people read the synopsis for this novel, it made them feel apprehensive and anxious. I hope, with this review, I may help in trying to dispel some apprehensions that you may have.

Into White presents a fascinating premise and also asks a very compelling what if - what if a black girl magically became white overnight? What would be the effects and consequences? Into White is either a book that you can take at face-value, a decision that will lead you to not fully appreciate what
laurel [suspected bibliophile]
LaToya Williams wants nothing more than to be anything other than black. Bullied by other black students, hating her "chuckabug" hair, big butt and dark skin, and living in an "empty castle" with her parents and brother, she just wants to escape. After being particularly humiliated at school, she prays to God that she be "anything but black." And BAM Jesus appears and makes her white—with the caveat that her parents and brother see her as normal.

As Kansas City—Missouri or Kansas?—exchange studen
Dee Price
This book is disturbing on so many levels. I truly want to believe that in 2016 the type of racist, sexist, elitist, and self-loathing behavior that is portrayed in this book doesn't exist, but I'm not quite that naive. I seriously disliked 80% of the characters in this book but that is, after all, the author's intention. This book is just so many things- a cautionary tale(be careful what you wish for), a blatant look at race elations, and a serious view of issues that teens face everyday(regard ...more
Lekeisha The Booknerd
This could've been a very thought provoking book. Instead, it's riddled with stereotypical characters and not much happens. So disappointing! #OwnVoices my a$$. Review to come!!
Kendall
Jan 26, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: unfinished
This was a DNF for me. I got about halfway through, and just didn't want to continue. I was excited about reading it, and was pleased when I got my hands on an ARC. But I could tell from the very beginning that I wasn't going to love it. It read young, even though it is supposed to be about a junior in high school. I had major problems with the story and with the predictability of the plot, but I'll leave those alone until publication. A disappointment from a needed topic.
Maria
Oct 08, 2017 marked it as to-read
Wow. The author is either crazy or a troll. Anyway, I’m gonna enjoy hating this !
Lyn *GLITTER VIKING*
Jun 29, 2016 marked it as dnf
Shelves: arc, cover-lust
Nnoooooooo! I really wanted to love this!!! The writing was just not working and the religion was just a bit much to swallow. It might have been a me, not you issue.

DNF: 50 pages

Katy Noyes
You never really understand a person until you climb into his skin and walk around in it

This is no Mockingbird (though set like it, in Alabama), LaToya no Atticus Finch, but in this Freaky Friday-esque high-school tale, a black student angry and frustrated with her lot in life prays to God to give her white skin. And she gets to climb into white skin and see both 'sides'.

Bullied and treated as a second class citizen because of her skin colour, Toya does have much to complain of legitim
Daja
Mar 22, 2018 marked it as will-probably-never-read
I was going to read this book. Literally had the library book checked out and everything. Then I sat to down to rest and enjoy what I thought was going to be a great book talking about a great topic. But the first twenty pages were atrocious. Like what?
YA Debut Source: Into White Discussion 3 32 Oct 01, 2016 12:37PM
  • When Dimple Met Rishi
  • It's Not Like It's a Secret
  • How to Make a Wish
  • Little & Lion
  • Flashfall (Flashfall, #1)
  • Enter Title Here
  • Poison's Kiss (Poison's Kiss, #1)
  • Sea Witch
  • A Darkly Beating Heart
  • Beast
  • Flower
Randi Pink grew up in the South and attended a mostly white high school. She lives with her husband and their two rescue dogs in Birmingham, Alabama, where she works for a branch of National Public Radio. Into White is her fiction debut.
More about Randi Pink

Young Adult Deals

• Beneath the Shine
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Greensleeves
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Keeping You a Secret
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Gena/Finn
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Trusting You & Other Lies
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Flush
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
  • A Totally Awkward Love Story
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
  • Just a Drop of Water
  • One Moment
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
  • Time Bomb
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Kissing Max Holden
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Summer of Jordi Perez (And the Best Burger in Los Angeles)
    $16.99 $1.99
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Some Fine Day
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
“Black skin was filled with so many barriers, so many restrictions, so many.” 3 likes
“No, worse, the one that fights members of its own army: dark-skinned against light-skinned, uppity against inner city, good hair against bad hair;” 0 likes