Start by marking “Cast No Shadow” as Want to Read:
Cast No Shadow

Cast No Shadow

Greg has lived in Lancaster his whole life. The town's always had its quirks, and being born without a shadow means he's counted among them. When Greg discovers an old mansion in the woods just outside of town, he didn't expect to meet a smart, beautiful, funny, and...very dead teenaged girl named Eleanor.

Yeah. He's in love with a ghost.

And before he knows what's happening
Published October 10th 2017 by First Second (first published July 5th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Cast No Shadow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cast No Shadow

Lola
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
A quirky teenage boy without a shadow falls in love with a pretty ghost that haunts the town’s abandoned house.

I don’t know, maybe I should have stuck with my initial impression (‘‘meh’’) and not look further.

But that is not who I am. I see, I wonder, I need. For those who’ve read a considerable number of paranormal stories, this idea of a boy falling for a ghost will look like a cliché.

Because it is one. If we omit that Greg has no shadow, there is nothing unique about this story. Haunted hous
David Schaafsma
Feb 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: gn-tween, gn-ya, gn-horror
Cast No Shadow, written by Nick Tapalansky and illustrated by Anissa Espinosa, is about a young teen, Greg, struggling to deal with his mother's death and his dad's new girlfriend. He also has no shadow, and falls in love with a ghost, Eleanor, and believe it or not, these two facts require connecting for the plot to resolve. There is a shadow, as it turns out, disconnected from him (right, as in Peter Pan!), but this shadow happens to be evil, an expression of Greg’s darkest desires. So what se ...more
First Second Books
Oct 10, 2017 marked it as first-second-publications
Greg is new to Lancaster, but he can already tell things aren't all right in this quiet, gloomy little town. When Greg finds a creepy abandoned house in the center of town, he thinks maybe he's getting closer to Lancaster's secret. But the ghost of a beautiful teenage girl haunting the house is more than Greg bargained for. Before he knows it, Greg's in love . . . with a dead girl.
Dov Zeller
Eek! I found this book to be both boring and horrifying.

GR reviewer Liz writes, "the dialogue is cringey af, couldn't finish". Yep. Well, I mean, I did finish it. And kind of wish I hadn't. But, I did. (Liz's review https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...)

The characters are meh. Three white protagonists. Greg, the sulky hero, whose shadow is missing and who can therefore see ghosts. Or at least one ghost. Eleanor. A white ghost girl who had been haunting a local house for quite a few years and
Erin
Oct 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cute cute cute. Love these oneshots. Very much reminiscent of Friends With Boys.
Rashika (is tired)
Cast No Shadow was a surprise graphic novel I received but it looked really cute and I couldn't help but read it right away. Of course, this was some time ago and I am only now getting around to writing the review for the book so forgive me.

Greg has no shadow and is kind of an outcast. One day, he discovers a haunted mansion and ends up falling in love with the resident ghost. Obviously, things get a little complicated and there is some good angst going on there too.

The graphic novel is as cute
Darcy Roar
Jan 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphics, teen
Cute little ghost-y magic story. I really liked the emotional bits (new mom's, dating best friends, etc.) and the magic explanations were quite unique. The only thing I didn't particularly like was the narration shenanigans, it's kind cute but also a bit confusing in this format. Cute art styles though! Generally just cute all around!
Raina
Apr 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphicnovel, ya
Kid who doesn't cast a shadow is the only one who can see ghost-girl.

Solid middle school graphic novel (though may not make my booktalk list in this crowded year of fantastic middle school GNs).

Wish it had been in color.
Cute/creepy, could be a decent pick for Coraline-lovers.

Read with Anya's Ghost, Friends with Boys, The Creepy Case Files of Margo Maloo, and Nightlights, just for starters.
Maggie Gordon
Cast No Shadow is about a young teen struggling to deal with his mother's death and his dad's new girlfriend. So many things in his life keep changing, and he can't handle the turmoil until he meets a ghosts that helps teach him some lessons about moving on. And helps him battle his evil shadow that is hellbent on destroying the town. It's a simple story, but great for younger readers. The art is quite stylised with fantastic backgrounds. The characters are expressive and a good representation o ...more
Millie
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I checked this book out from the library and finished it in an afternoon. I loved this book, it was so amazing to find a comic with such an interesting story and cute drawings (and I just love any story with ghosts incorporated into it :D). The writing was great and the pictures were beyond amazing, so all in all 10/10! I don’t understand why this book does not have more positive reviews, I personally loved it!
Sarah (treesofreverie) McMahon
Jan 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
Cast No Shadow brings together an array of delightful characters and is full of adorable artwork. This is a light, fun, easy read that I do recommend to anyone looking for a graphic novel to giggle and squeal over!
Mary
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this graphic novel. They have it geared toward YA but I’d hand this to as young as 10 or 11. Twice that I recall they did use the phrase “this sucks” but that’s it. It’s not even scary.
Literary Strawberry
I loved this! The art is super cute and aesthetically pleasing, the characters are a lot of fun (I love Layla okay), the dialogue was amusing... Honestly, it reminded me in some ways of Gravity Falls (and as far as I'm concerned, my suspicions about the show's influence on this were confirmed as soon as I spotted that mysterious triangle doodle on page 153...), but it completely felt like its own thing, too. There was... Pretty much nothing I disliked about this, actually?? Really enjoyed it.
Cara
Oct 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
I didn't know anything about this book when it came across my desk. I opened it, and was immediately drawn in. (get it? drawn in?) Seriously though, this was a good story and the illustrations were good.
Kristin
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This graphic novel hits all the adolescent pangs without being saccharine and predictable. The illustrations are at once simple and expressive, and the story and dialogue are touching and funny.
Kiri
Feb 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Thank you NetGalley for allowing me to read a digital copy of this book in exchange for a review. All opinions are my own.

Meet Greg, a teenage boy with a lot of weight on his shoulders. When family and friend issues get to be too much for him he confides in his new ghostly girlfriend, Eleanor. (I'm really loving the names for these characters!) The rest of the book is dedicated to solving his life issues and helping Eleanor out.

description
Yup, I'm totally great at summarizing. A+.

Any who, this graphic nov
Bitsy
Oct 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, comics, comics-17
This was a very sweet graphic novel. On one hand, the plot was instantly familiar--a boy, Greg, who's a little scared of the changes that are happening in his life (dad's new girlfriend, best friend's new boyfriend) deals with that fear through anger and frustration. Despite Greg's relationship with ghost girl Eleanor, I felt like I knew where the story was headed from pretty much page 1. However, even though the overall emotional arc of Greg coming to terms with and accepting change was expecte ...more
Austine (NovelKnight)
Oct 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-releases
Cast No Shadow is not only the first graphic novel I've ever read, but also the first I've ever reviewed so it was an interesting experience all around. We have Greg, a teen dealing with family troubles, a friend who has more going on in her life beside him, and suddenly a ghost in an abandoned house near town.

I think what sold me on this book was that the protagonist is a bit awkward, a bit unusual (he doesn't have a shadow), but very real. Greg is dealing with things in his life that I can ima
Sharon Tyler
Sep 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cast No Shadow is a graphic novel written by Nick Tapalansky and illustrated by Anissa Espinosa. It is currently scheduled for release on October 10 2017. Greg has lived in Lancaster his whole life. The town's always had its quirks, and being born without a shadow means he's counted among them. When Greg discovers an old mansion in the woods just outside of town, he didn't expect to meet a smart, beautiful, funny, and dead teenaged girl named Eleanor. Yeah. He's in love with a ghost. And before ...more
Hallie
I received an e-ARC of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Greg is dealing with a lot--the loss of this mother, his best friend liking his enemy, and his lack of a shadow casting him as an outsider. On top of everything else, he has a new crush...on a ghost. Cast No Shadow is a quirky, heartfelt graphic novel about letting go and finding yourself.

Greg's mother passed away and his father has moved on and invited his significant other to move in. Greg is having a hard time
Stephanie Tournas
Oct 26, 2017 rated it liked it
In a town where the world's largest hairball is a tourist attraction, the fact that Greg was born without a shadow is hardly noteworthy. In fact, people hardly notice him at all. Then Greg meets a lovely girl who "totally gets" him and he's in love and feeling fine. It happens that she is a ghost stuck in an abandoned old house, and died 80 years ago. And there is a connection between his errant shadow and Eleanor the ghost. Drama with friends and family fizz around Greg, and Eleanor is the only ...more
Samantha
Dec 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Greg is a boy who has no shadow. He was born that way and it seems to be a nonissue in the little town of Lancaster, where the mayor and his son try to cook up scheme after scheme to draw tourists in. One feature of Lancaster is a very old mansion, where it is rumored the family was torn apart when the father brutally murdered his daughter. But the house is haunted, or seems to be. When Greg ventures in, he discovers there really is a ghost, but things aren't as they appear. In fact, things beco ...more
Molly
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Disclaimer: I received early digital access to this book through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Who amongst us has not grown up in a weird little town, or at least known someone who grew up in a weird little town? Greg is that kid, but his town is made even weirder by a few things: the fact that he has no shadow, that his former bully is now trying to become his best friend (after a walloping by his best gal pal, Layla), and there's a haunted house on the edge of town. When Greg and
Ms. Yingling
Jul 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Copy provided by the publisher

Greg lives in a quirky town that is always trying to come up with an idea to attract tourists. He hangs out with gal pal Layla and has a complicated relationship with the popular Jake. Greg is a bit odd because he doesn't have a shadow. When he and Layla visit a "haunted house" at the edge of town, he is able to see a ghost named Eleanor, and the two "like like" each other. To complicate matters, Greg's shadow starts doing evil things around the town, and Greg is no
Daniel Lawson
Feb 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
They do that annoying two narrator thing at the beginning you know bickering over how to tell the story, but then it picks up pretty well. I meant to check if the author and or illustrator worked on Gravity Falls because there's some Easter eggs in the art. Over all this is a good book to check out.
Mandy
Apr 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: ghosties
It was okay? I thought the first 60% was a solid four crowns, but it just ended up being a boring last 40% that made me feel so meh and bleh and eh. However, I thought the art was really really great. It was super cute, and there was some unique parts to it. Not too much to say about this one honestly. Three crowns and a Belle rating!
Janie G
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Cast No Shadow is packed with wry humor and cute illustrations. The premise and setup for the book are fascinating and had me hooked from the start. Unfortunately, the ending sequence and character conflict resolution all unfolded rather quickly, I was surprised by how many things suddenly happened all at once. Several complex themes could have been explored more deeply, but the friendships at the heart of this graphic novel remain the most successful aspect of the book. Overall it is a fun, enj ...more
Rod Brown
Sep 09, 2018 rated it liked it
I was on the fence between 2 or 3 stars for much of the book as the story is a pretty goofy and sloppy with its supernatural elements at times and the main character is at a place in his life where he is not particularly likable, but I liked how it all came together as a weird examination of the id and super-ego made relatable for young readers.
Suzanne
Aug 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
So, combine one boy born without a shadow, one lonely girl who happens to be a ghost, and what do you get? A love story? Yeah, that's part of it. It's not surprising that they would be attracted; they are both outsiders of a sort and they share similar stories of a mother dying young and unexpectedly, a father finding a new companion after his grief, and how difficult it can be to let someone else into a family. But Greg also has his friend Layla, her new boyfriend Jake (that Greg can't stand), ...more
Su
Jan 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
The art was whimsical and so cute, but didn’t at all distract from the more serious content. I actually felt that it helped keep the morale aspects of the story from being too preachy. This was a lovely story that tackled a lot of issues - loss, jealously, love, friendship, perspective. I highly recommend this for any younger reader 12+ (arbitrary age, you know what your own tiny humans can handle) or anyone with young people in their lives. Really beautifully rendered and touching story.
Nick Tapalansky writes some comics that you should totally read, including the forthcoming graphic novels Cast No Shadow, Samantha Loring and the Impossible World, and A Radical Shift of Gravity. His work has also been included in the award-winning Popgun and Mouse Guard: Legends of the Guard anthologies. He currently lives in New York with his patient wife and amazing daughter. You can hang out w ...more