Start by marking “Marta! Big & Small” as Want to Read:
Marta! Big & Small

Marta! Big & Small

Marta is una niña, an ordinary girl . . . with some extraordinary animal friends!

As Marta explores the jungle, she knows she's bigger than a bug, smaller than an elephant, and faster than a turtle. But then she meets the snake, who thinks Marta is sabrosa—tasty, very tasty! But Marta is ingeniosa, a very clever girl, and she outsmarts the snake with hilarious results.

With
Published August 23rd 2016 by Roaring Brook Press

To ask other readers questions about Marta! Big & Small, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Marta! Big & Small

Start your review of Marta! Big & Small
Emily Scheinman
My favorite bilingual picture book this season.
Rebecca Gomez
Nov 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This book is perfecto. A perfect bilingual picture book that tells a simple story. Lovely illustrations too! This book would be a perfect way to introduce a child to the Spanish language.
Banny Kirsten Marie Reviews
First of all yes i am awake... No you don't have to remind me its almost one in the morning... Yes i have enough energy to write this review...................... Ahhh i'm awake, i'm awake you don't have to yell...................... Ahh sorry gosh you don't have to get nasty about it i'm just a tired girl trying to write a review..... Fine i won't waste anymore of your time here goes nothing................. I'm not asleep....

Okay just had a good cup of coffee and i am now ready to type...
Niki Marion
Jan 19, 2017 rated it really liked it

A bilingual book that presumes an English-speaking reader but doesn't condescend to that reader or diminish the Spanish words that it teaches.

It's also a book of opposites and a book of animals, so this picturebook is pulling some major triple duty.

And to top it all off, the crowning line of this book highlights cleverness as an inherent quality trait of girls. Hermiones of the world, get this book on your radar.
The Library Lady
Dec 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
This would get 4.5 or even 4.75 from me. The art is bold and active, and I can easily see using this in story time. My many Spanish speaking nannies will love hearing me use the Spanish animal names and adjectives, and the animal movements will be perfect for a bit of kids yoga. I think I need a copy of this for my "reading room" collection. Gracias, Jen Arena!
Zoe's Human
Aug 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lt
Marta! is a lively picture book focused on teaching basic comparisons as well as a few simple Spanish words. Our heroine is a vibrant, clever, and adventurous little girl. It's a short, simple story certain to excite little imaginations.
Danielle
Sep 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
A winning combination of opposites, English/Spanish vocabulary, animals, and one clever little girl! Charmed me.
Angie
Opposites
Jungle theme
Simple colorful images
English book with sprinkled-Spanish
Ingenious Latina girl
Alyisha
Sep 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Cute bilingual book that teaches simple Spanish vocabulary...with a surprise girl power message at the end! :)
Patrick
Aug 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
I loved that this picture book had a Latina character as the girl in the story. I also liked that it taught the concept of opposites while also teaching Spanish words at the same time.
Katherine
An adorable bilingual picture book about Marta, who explores the jungle and compares herself to animals. I can guaruntee I'll be using this in storytime.

I've read criticisms before that make the argument that presenting two languages in two different fonts can be problematic, especially when one of those fonts is difficult to read. While the Spanish words in Arena's text are in a different font, they're also legible. There aren't full sentences either; the text more seems to be an opportunity to
Emily
Mar 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ece-2nd
In this wonderful story, we meet an ordinary girl named Marta who meets and compares herself to an elephant, horse, turtle, lion, rabbit, and snake--which leads to a funny discovery and escape. Throughout the book we are taught new Spanish words, both the animals and adjectives, with the translations in the back of the book. A delight to read to primary grades and perfect for storytime with an ECE, Kinder, or young first grade class. A new favorite with simple text structure that will be ...more
orangerful
This book quickly became a staple in my PreK outreach visits and on regular rotation for my storytimes. Young children love figuring out the meaning of the Spanish words and then we practice saying them together.

They all get VERY concerned when the snake shows up and it is hilarious to me that they really think I am going to read them a story about a girl being eaten! You can hear the sigh of relief when I reveal she is hiding in the tree.
Angela
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Marta is many different things, depending on your point of view. She's a clever girl and this is a very clever book. And most enjoyable. Amazing illustrations. Love the blend of English and Spanish.
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture, storytime, 2017
One of my go-to read-alouds for Storytime, particularly for talking about opposites and different sizes. The intermingling of English and Spanish is great for a bilingual audience (or an audience interested in learning new Spanish words).
Mary
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
A high energy bilingual preschool concept book that teaches basic vocabulary about animals and opposites in English and Spanish. The vibrant illustrations make Marta's joy literally leap off the pages. An engaging picture book that will leave readers wanting more Marta.
Katherine
Feb 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Awesome sauce! An English book that introduces Spanish in a very clever and adorable way! I can't wait to read this aloud. Though I might need to brush up on my pronunciation (of course two of my Spanish-speaking little friends will be sure to correct me).
Emily
great for international story time
Nanci Booher
Marta is a smart girl. she is also loud, big, and small...or ruidosa, grande y pequena. What a great story to introduce some spanish to the youngest of readers.
Lori
Aug 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture
a nice one for perspective
Mary
Aug 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Perfect for a bilingual size or opposite-themed Storytime for toddlers/preschoolers.
Chelsea Kirkland
-bilingual- in English with Spanish vocabulary- would be easy to read to non-Spanish speakers and have them understand.
-Ms Tea's crowd pleasers
Melissa
Mar 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great for beginning to teach Spanish for kids!
Mandy Robek
Jul 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
An interesting way to support bilingual students and their friends. I learned many Spanish words myself and in context with picture support I felt successful.
Dana
Jan 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storytime-books
Spanish and English in a cute opposites book filled with animals.
Rachel
May 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, 2017
Lovely incorporation of Spanish & English words - great for bilingual storytimes.
Robin
May 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Completely appealing story and perfect for storytime sharing! Love the illustrations, and Marta, la nina ingeniosa, and the effortless flow between Spanish and English.
Casandria
A great bilingual storytime book about opposites!
Concetta Kellough
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book uses English and Spanish to teach Spanish words. (There are 16 Spanish words.) It would be great with young children.
Kelsey Farmer