Start by marking “Ned the Knitting Pirate” as Want to Read:
Ned the Knitting Pirate

Ned the Knitting Pirate

The crew of the pirate ship the Rusty Heap are a fearsome bunch! They're tougher than gristle and barnacle grit. They heave and they ho and they swab and they . . . knit?

Well, one of them does, at least! Unfortunately for Ned, his knitting doesn't go over well with the captain and crew. They urge him to hide his hobby and strive to be scurvier, like pirates should be. But
Published August 23rd 2016 by Roaring Brook Press

To ask other readers questions about Ned the Knitting Pirate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ned the Knitting Pirate

Bruce Gargoyle
I received a copy of this title from PanMacmillan Australia for review.

Ten Second Synopsis:
Ned likes to knit while on breaks from his job as a pirate. Will the other pirates ever agree that knitting is a piratey thing to do?

If you're looking for a pirate tale with a difference in a picture book market that is saturated with piratey titles, then look no further than Ned and his two pointy sticks. Ned is a delightful young pirate who is perfectly content to be who he is, despite the fact that his
Barbara
Rhyming text tells the story of Ned, a pirate whose habits subvert the stereotype of what pirates do. While the rest of the swarthy pirate crew swab the decks and engage in various activities associated with pirates, Ned wears a woolly hat and knits. The author sprinkles in clever phrases with word play ["The crew was all in stitches, but the captain's nerves were frayed" (unpaged)] as the story moves to its conclusion. Fed up with all that knitting, the captain insists that Ned put in all away. ...more
Jana
This is a cute picture book with fun rhyming text that tells the story of a young pirate who loves to knit, even though everyone around him makes fun of him and he gets in trouble with his captain for it. The message that it's okay to do your own thing is told with a fun pirate story that has adventure, buried treasure, and a dangerous monster. This would be fun to read aloud with a pirate accent!
Ryan
Feb 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ned loves to knit. He is the only pirate who does. Even the Captain thinks its a waste of time. That is until Ned’s knitting skills come in handy. This book is wonderfully illustrated, and told in sing-song rhyme. I like that it show males doing a traditionally female activity. Knitting is an art, not a stereotype.
Jannah
Jan 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Reading the pirates' chorus to the tune of sea shanties makes this all the more amusing.
This book was relevant to my interests as an aspiring knitter to encourage that one day I, too, may be able to knit a blanket for sea monsters.
Dolly
Dec 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a humorous rhyming tale about pirates, being true to yourself, and, of course, knitting. It also depicts some bullying behavior, which may serve well to start a conversation.

The narrative is very silly and the illustrations are colorful and cartoonish, appearing to combine the use of pencil sketches, charcoal and/or crayon, and watercolors.

The pause at the end of each song's refrain before finishing with the word 'knit,' is likely to inspire children to interact with the story and shou
Diane
“A scurvy pirate doesn’t knit, nor wear a fuzzy hat.”

But Ned does, much to the chagrin of his captain. Finally, the captain has had enough and says if Ned knits anymore, he’ll have to walk the plank. But just as things look hopeless for Ned, a briny ocean beast attacks the ship. “His tentacles were thick with slime, his eyes a ghastly yellow, and cannonballs bounced off his sides as if his skin was Jell-O.” Thankfully, Ned knitted that big blanket ... who knew that would save the day?

A fun addit
Shaunterria
May 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
A pirate unlike any other, Ned is truly his own buccaneer. While his fellow swashbucklers sing of sailing the seas and of how tough they are, Ned chimes in with his enjoyment of knitting as a pastime. This causes much consternation among his crewmates and enrages his captain. Luckily, Ned’s skills as a knitter save the ship and help change their minds about the value of his hobby. The rhyming lines in the story beg for storytime read-alouds, especially if they are pirate themed. This is a great ...more
Matthew
Mar 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ned knits. No other pirate thinks knitting is okay, but, of course, they are all wrong. Ned's knitting turns out to be exactly what they need to save them in their moment of greatest need. Told in rhyming verse, this is very well written, charmingly illustrated book. It teaches the lesson that we should celebrate our differences rather than try to squash them. Very enjoyable, with read aloud quality.
Ina
Oct 30, 2016 rated it liked it
I had high hopes for this book - as a knitter who embraces "Speak like a Pirate Day" each September. Most of the text rhymes, but the rhythm wasn't quite right and the illustrations were nice but too subdued to keep the eye of my young audience.
Dana
Sep 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-aloud
Loved the chorus! And the pictures. And a pirate who saves the day with his knitting!
Jeannie
Mar 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Who would think that scurvy, scrappy, scruffy pirates wold learn to love knitting? Ned shows them the value of this pastime and a silly clever rhyming story.
Catalogued this at work today. Just plain fun.
Cindy Vallar
Oct 18, 2016 rated it liked it
The men of the Rusty Heap are rugged and fierce, and they often sing while they work. The only different pirate among them is Ned, who likes to knit and wears a fuzzy hat – two things no self-respecting pirate should do, at least according to the captain. Finally, Ned is given a choice. He must cease knitting or he must walk the plank. In his heart Ned is a pirate, so he packs away needles, yarn, and knitted items, including a blanket bearing a pirate crest. Then one night a sea monster attacks ...more
Beatrice Fox
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
It's overly cutesy and the rhyming book really wears on you especially when pirate songs infiltrate the verse. Ned always says he knits in the most saccharinely sweet way at the end of their song. The art is good. Not great though. I do like the ending and the theme although we've seen it before. Stay true to yourself and what you do will be rewarded and save the day or whatever. It's just not great.
Tori
Ned likes to knit. The other pirates try to tell him it's not a pirate-y activity, but he likes it and keeps doing it. Eventually, an encounter with a sea monster shows the rest of the crew how valuable a cozy knitted blanket can be - they all take up knitting at the end.
A bit long, but very rhythmic. I think if I sang it as a sort of "sea shanty" it would be perfect for next Pirate Day's storytime.
Nancy
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-book
I loved the illustrations in this book. Cute little Ned was often knitting, and the Captain wanted none of it. I liked the children helping the sea creatures, and then having them come to help when the pirates were being attacked. The songs the pirates sang were funny. Ned's knitting helps save the day. I'm thinking that the author wants children to be accepting of other children, for their differences, which is good.
Stephanie Fujii
Jun 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Amaya wanted to read this one 2 times in a row. I think because it has singing in it (so be ready to make up a tune!) Good rhyme scheme, which I appreciate, and fun story about Ned who sits on the deck knitting while the rest of the pirates are working :D But, he ends up saving the day, so...knit one, pearl two, repeat!
Cecilia
Apr 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was cute. It was a take on not-buying-into-stereotypes-can-save-the-day. Fairly standard picture book topic. It did a pretty good job at it. Mostly, it was cutesy. I'm sure to the right reader this book will be unforgettable. To me, it was worth a read.
Lynn  Davidson
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is such a cute story. Pirates are rugged people who are scrappy and tough, and they don't knit - well, all except for Ned. When the Captain orders him to stop knitting, Ned's craft soon comes in handy when danger rises against them. Marvellous illustrations.
Elisabeth
Sep 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ned was really cute and I laughed a couple of times while reading this one. You know how I feel about rhyming books for rhyme's sake, though, and the illustrations, while perfectly fine, were kind of boring.
Jen
Jul 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
4 1/2 stars. Darling rhyming tale about doing what you like to do, regardless of what others might say.
Judy
Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Diana Murray's excellent rhyme lends itself to this fun adventure on the high seas.
Kelly
Ned is a pirate who loves to knit. Which drives the captain crazy.
John
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I like this book because they [spoiler alert] knit at the very end for the new sail, and they sing a song that goes "something something... and we knit!"
Norma
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Since I’m a Knitting Nana, this seemed like a great choice for my grandson’s birthday. He loved it.
Amandanoel
Apr 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
My son is obsessed with the book and I find it pretty charming and have a great fondness for the illustrations as well.
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
Wildly disappointing!
Lewis M Suzman
Jun 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Jeremy
Fun. Kate said "Knit!" at the end.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Betty Bunny Loves Chocolate Cake
  • Harry and the Terrible Whatzit
  • King Hugo's Huge Ego
  • Things to Do
  • Hocus Pocus, It's Fall!
  • Miss Dorothy and Her Bookmobile
  • Doodleday
  • Never Play Music Right Next to the Zoo
  • The Dragon Prince: A Chinese Beauty  the Beast Tale
  • Monster's New Undies
  • A Piece of Cake
Diana Murray grew up in New York City and still lives nearby with her husband, two children, and a fuzzy white pup-icorn. Diana's children's books include, CITY SHAPES and SUMMER COLOR (Little, Brown), GRIMELDA: THE VERY MESSY WITCH (Katherine Tegen Books/HarperCollins), NED THE KNITTING PIRATE (Roaring Brook Press), DORIS THE BOOKASAURUS (Imprint/Macmillan), PIZZA PIG (Random House), UNICORN DAY ...more