Start by marking “Welcome to Mars: Making a Home on the Red Planet” as Want to Read:
Welcome to Mars: Making a Home on the Red Planet

Welcome to Mars: Making a Home on the Red Planet

Space is still the final frontier and Mars continues to make news and attract generations of young people. In this fascinating book, hero-astronaut Buzz Aldrin challenges curious kids to think about Mars as not just a faraway red planet but as a possible future home for Earthlings!

What will your new home be like? How will you get there? What will you eat for breakfast? Fi
Published September 1st 2015 by National Geographic Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about Welcome to Mars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Welcome to Mars

Feb 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Written for younger readers, nevertheless the presentation of information on science and space exploration will hold the attention of adults. Aldrin's breezy conversational style will have me seeking his book for adults Mission to Mars: My Vision for Space Exploration.
Tracy E.
Oct 21, 2016 rated it liked it
A very ambitious book with ambitious ideas that would be just fine for a kid with ideas of space exploration. The ideas prompted a lot of questions of logistics in practice, but perhaps the adult version of this book answers those. A fun mix of facts and possibilities. Includes science project activities making this book suitable for a classroom. Minus a star for the poor CGI illustrations that look like a student's work from 2006. I'm totally pro-science and would love to see a Mars mission hap ...more
Renee
Oct 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Welcome to Mars: Making a Home on the Red Planet is co-authored by famous astronaut, Buzz Aldrin who is a strong advocate for space exploration, and Marianne Dyson, who is an award-winning author and former NASA flight controller. In short… these are the experts and they make a very compelling case for the possibility of living on Mars in the future. This book will stretch the imagination of young minds – the future thinkers and explorers.

The book begins with a description of the tools for space
Erik This Kid Reviews Books
Synopsis- Have you ever wondered what it would be like to live on Mars? If you have, you probably dismissed it as impossible. How would you like to hear that it may be possible to live on Mars? Within a few years, it may very well be imaginable to be setting up a colony on Mars. It is something that must be thought of, and will be a necessity for our survival as a species.

What I Thought- When I think of Mars habitation, I normally end up thinking of space-age technology bordering on Sci-Fi. When
Ms. Bryson
Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Welcome to Mars takes its reader on a futuristic journey as one of the Martian pioneers of Buzz Aldrin’s very own crew. The images from NASA, vivid photographs, and computer-rendered drawings of an imagined journey to a settlement on Mars are sure to plant the seed of interplanetary wanderlust in its audience. The logistics of colonization are presented in an understandable but not overly-simplified manner, with intriguing sidebars such as “Your Favorite Five Pounds” and an imagined Mars menu. T ...more
Kara
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mars

True, Buzz Aldrin could put his name on anything and it would sell – but this is an excellent science book that I would recommend to any science teacher for young students.

Aldrin talks to an imagined young audience as fellow voyagers, walking a pre-teen through the stages of what it would take to get from Earth to Mars – blast off, travel, landing, and then setting up a life on the Red Planet. He uses all currently known science, a lot of history (of course some of it featuring himself), and so
Alexandria
I really like books that speculate on how things will be if and when we colonize other planets. This book delved into that a little bit, mostly in the later chapters, and spent a good deal of time on the history of our attempts to reach Mars as well. I think I would have liked it more if it had spent more time on the speculation, but it was still an interesting book. Written for late middle or early high schoolers, it would be a good book for research on this topic in those age ranges.
Darlene Cruz
Sep 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was so happy to get this book, why? Space exploration and anything to do with Mars is magic in my eyes but to get Buzz Aldrin take on it is icing on the cake. The race to Mars is quite informative from robotic exploration like finding a type of rock called quart on the red planet and images that had shown ancient shoreline or dust storms. Very informative and enjoyable to keep you reading and absorbing what this book has to offer. Thank you, Darlene Cruz
Amanda Lee
Oct 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was very interesting. It was about people moving to Mars in the future. I have never thought about that before and am very curious now about the possibility of seeing this in my lifetime.
Deedee
Lexile 900L
IL: MG - BL: 6.1 - AR Pts: 3.0
Dewey 523.43
Timothy Darling
Dec 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
nice book with a plan for going to mars. It's a shame nobody with power listens to Aldrin. It seems like a solid plan.
Fang McGee
May 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Targeted at kids, a great primer about the history of Mars exploration and what future colonists might need to do to survive there, without any technical gobbledygook.
Stephanie Croaning
Welcome to Mars: making a home on the red planet
National Geographic Kids, Washington DC, 2015
ISBN 978-1-4263-2206-8
Nonfiction/fiction
96 pages : color illustrations ; 26 cm.
Dewey: 523.43
Interest Level: grades 3-6; Reading Level: 5.6
Lexile measure: 900
3 out of 5 stars

Recently, I have seen several magazines that have covers featuring "Mission to Mars" and the National Geographic Channel has a special airing soon as well. As I began to read Welcome to Mars I wondered if I had missed some recent anno
Annalee Schnebele
If you've ever seen the episode of 30 Rock where Buzz Aldrin yells at the moon with Liz - then you understand a little bit of the wackiness that inhabits this book.

Overall, very interesting and engaging nonfiction about travelling to and colonizing Mars with great hands-on experiments and demonstrations to explain the concepts.

Would recommend to upper elementary and middle school students who are at all interested in space travel. The text is accessible, but the content is fairly sophisticated (
Aeicha
Sep 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
World-famous astronaut, Buzz Aldrin, may have walked on the moon, but now he has his sights set on Mars! In Welcome To Mars: Making A Home On The Red Planet, Aldrin explores the very real idea of humans settling on Mars. Aldrin takes young readers on a fascinating and informative journey to the red planet and lays out his dream of one day making this awe-inspiring planet a home for humans.

Welcome To Mars: Making A Home On The Red Planet is full of interesting facts, inspiring ideas, and a lot of
Ms. Yingling
Book provided by publisher.

This well illustrated book by space experts lays out why people should colonize Mars and describes what preparations need to be made for such an excursion. From details of packing and the flight to equipment used on Mars and the natural resources of the planet, everything is covered with full but easy to understand descriptions. The history of space travel, with an emphasis on exploration involving Mars covered, is and there is a nice time line. The descriptions of how
Annette
WELCOME TO MARS: MAKING A HOME ON THE RED PLANET by Buzz Aldrin and Marianne Dyson takes an amazing look at the near-future reality of a human colony on Mars.

Readers are invited to become Martian pioneers as they work their way the information they’ll need to journey to Mars and build a permanent home.

This visually-rich, well-organized book includes short chapters dealing with key issues related to space travel and the colonization of Mars. Numerous fun activities, author side-bars, interesting
Kristi Bernard
Oct 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Do you want to visit Mars? Are you curious about what it would be like to live on Mars? Buzz Aldrin, is an astronaut and the second person to ever walk on the moon. In this wonderful fact filled guide, he invites readers to travel to Mars, build a livable environment and stay there.

Readers will learn how Mars compares to Earth. A day on Mars is similar to a day on Earth. And most importantly, Mars has water. Readers will learn about how they could travel to Mars and what they would need to bring
Heidi
While I am not interested in going to Mars myself, the ideas is certainly an intriguing one. This book by former astronaut Buzz Aldrin addresses what it is likely to take to get there and survive there on a long term basis. Aldrin points out about where science is now in terms of getting there (rockets, supplies, etc). and then shares what it will probably take to allow people to live there. I found that fascinating and very intimidating. Those who go will have to depend on people from earth to ...more
Amy
Dec 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very informative and readable non-fiction about what it would take to support human life on Mars. The information is broken into sections that make it very accessible for any reader. Lots of good illustrations as well. I found it to be fascinating and I think kids interested in space will enjoy it also.
Pam
Oct 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've always wanted to be an astronaut (who doesn't) and now you thanks to the ultimate astronaut, Buzz Aldrin, you can be a space explorer too!
Catherine
Oct 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
An interesting look on how Mars could be colonized. This book contains a nice collection of science experiments for kids.
Bart
Aug 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: space
Lots of good information here, wanted more! Looking forward to give this as a gift to my space-minded nephew.
Jaysen Huculak
Sep 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this book to my 6 and 8 year old over a few weeks and it was a great introduction to ideas about traveling to Mars. I might pick up Mission to Mars because of this.
Katya Lazukina
Oct 03, 2018
Diane
Jan 27, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
Buzz Aldrin (born Edwin Eugene Aldrin, Jr., January 20, 1930) is an engineer and former American astronaut, and the second person to walk on the Moon. He was the lunar module pilot on Apollo 11, the first manned lunar landing in history. He set foot on the Moon at 03:15:16 (UTC) on July 21, 1969, following mission commander Neil Armstrong. He is also a retired colonel in the United States Air Forc ...more