Start by marking “A Churn for the Worse (An Amish Mystery, #5)” as Want to Read:
A Churn for the Worse (An Amish Mystery, #5)

A Churn for the Worse

(An Amish Mystery #5)

The national bestselling author of Suspendered Sentence returns to Heavenly, Pennsylvania, where shop owner Claire Weatherby and Detective Jakob Fisher must put on their thinking kapps to solve a string of robberies and a murder in the Amish community...

When an Amish farmer is found dead in his barn, his family accepts his death as God’s will. But Detective Jakob Fisher kn
Mass Market Paperback, 304 pages
Published March 1st 2016 by Berkley

Lisa Ks Book Reviews
Feb 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is the best installment of this series so far! You’ll have to put on your best thinking kapp to solve this one!

Laura Bradford is a phenomenal author. A magnificent storyteller. And while I adore all series written by her (She also writes as Elizabeth Lynn Casey), the Amish mystery series to me, is the biggest and brightest gem in her crown of work.

Truth be told, A CHURN FOR THE WORSE is THE best mystery I have read, not only this year, but in the last couple of years. The Amish Mystery se
LORI CASWELL
Mar 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2016
Dollycas’s Thoughts

Another Heavenly trip to Heavenly! Laura Bradford continues to give us wonderful stories starring some of the most engaging cozy characters. When I pick up one of her mysteries it is like wrapping myself in a warm cozy blanket.

Claire Weatherly is in love and not only with Jakob Fisher. She loves this town, her work, and all the heartwarming people of Heavenly. Her greatest wish is to bring Jakob and his family together again after they have shunned him when he decided to becom
Fred
Feb 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A Churn For The Worse is the fifth book in the An Amish Mystery series.

It's always nice to spend some time with Claire and Aunt Diane in Heavenly.

With Esther having gotten married, Claire has a new Amish girl, Annie, helping in her shop. One day when Annie arrives for work Claire can see that she has been crying. Annie tells Claire that a friend of hers, Henry Stutzman, had lost his father the previous evening, in what she called an accident in his barn. It is assumed that he stepped on a shovel
Hilary (A Wytch's Book Review)
Jun 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cozy-amish
This is a re-read for me and well worth another visit! Here we learn more about the Amish way of life with Eli having bought a new horse for Esther, and Annie (Esther's replacement at Heavenly Treasures) getting her first horse and buggy. Along with this we have the killing of an Amish farmer and thefts from Amish families.  Detective Fisher and Claire need to but their heads together to sort this out and make Heavenly safe again for the Englisch and more importantly the Amish.

I really hope ther

ISBN13: 9780425273036
Author website: http://www.laurabradford.com/
Brought to you by OBS reviewer Kayt

Synopsis:

When an Amish farmer is found de
Sandie Laughner
Feb 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book!! Number 5 in the series is the best one yet!! I'm so enthralled with Heavenly, PA and the people who live there. Amish on one side of town, English on the other side, and they meet in the middle to operate their shops. A lovely tourist destination for mostly senior citizens and families. Lovely, that is, until one of the Amish farmers is found dead in his barn, from an unwanted meeting with a shovel.
Enter Claire Weatherly, English shop owner, and her beau, Jakob Fisher, who le
Mark Baker
Mar 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016, mystery
The peaceful summer in Heavenly, Pennsylvania, is ruined when one of the Amish farmers is murdered. Was he targeted because he is Amish? Or was it part of a string of burglaries hitting that part of town? Claire and Jakob will have to work together to find out.

Once again, we are transported to the town of Heavenly and get to spend time with characters we have come to love. The growth in the characters and their relationships we see here is absolutely amazing. The mystery is good as well. I thoug
Debbie
Ms. Bradford does it again, I thoroughly enjoyed my return visit to Heavenly. I swear that I can hear the horses and smell fresh air as I read. An Amish farmer is found murdered and money begins to disappear through the community, is it all connected? There is also a side mystery going that I found very interesting. I was certain that I had it figured out but with a surprising twist, I was wrong. I cannot begin to say enough good about the characters in this series, they are all likeable and I w ...more
Eden
2019 bk 161. It's not just murder in this, the fifth mystery. Money is missing, large amounts, from Amish farms, and it may be tied into the murder of an Amish farmer. Through Claire, some of Jakob's wish to see his family is enabled as his niece and her husband find work around that will let Jakob know about his soon to be great niece or nephew. The theme of shunning runs through all of these stories, and that makes the episodes where Jakob encounters family members all the more poignant. It is ...more
Joan
Jun 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Someone is stealing from the Amish, and a farmer is killed in his barn with a shovel, leaving behind a widow and several children. Ben steps in to help look after the family and Claire suspects that he won't be lonely for much longer.

Bill, a man who organizes tours, is staying at the B&B and seems to have taken an interest in Claire's Aunt Diane
Cathy Daniel
Dec 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the writing style and likable characters, so much so I bought two more. However, there really was too much romance for a mystery novel and I was expecting a more complex mystery based on reviews but I easily guessed the entire mystery early on (I was waiting for a plot twist that never happened lol) light, easy reading.
Maryann Forbes
Apr 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
A Churn for the Worse is the first of Laura Bradford's Amish Mysteries that I have read; it is the fifth in the series. The story tazkes place in Heavenly, PA, a serene yet popular Amish tourist community. The Amish and the English get along well for the most part. However when an Amish farmer, good husband and father of seven is found murdered in his barn Heavenly Police Detective Jakob Fisher is concerned it may be a hate crime. A stranger is stopping at Amish farms to seek directions or a gla ...more
Barb
Apr 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
As always, the 5th entry in Laura Bradford’s Amish Mystery series is wonderful. Well written, excellent descriptions of the lovely town of Heavenly, and richly developed characters. Ms. Bradford strikes the perfect balance between keeping the pacing fast and creating a devious plot that kept me guessing until the end.
The Amish community is unsettled when a farmer is found dead in his barn. The members of his group want to believe it was a sad accident, but, when it is found to be murder, the ge
Kimberley Cornwell
Jul 12, 2016 rated it liked it
An ok addition to a great series but definitely wasn't my favorite. I started this book several times but just couldn't get excited. I finally finished it and thought "This was akin to eating a meal, you're full but not satisfied."
Karen
Mar 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
It was a lovely read. A sweet story of love and friendship accompanies this cozy mystery. It was a treat to read and like taking a scenic vacation in Amish country.
Kathy
May 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Pam Pavkov
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A Churn for the Worse is the 5th suspense filled book written by Laura Bradford in her An Amish Mystery series. I really enjoyed this book and it is a fantadtic adfition to the series. Again there are two different mysteries playing out in this story but they become mingled at the conclusion. The author has once again written such a compelling story that will keep the readers interest to the end.

I really enjoyed the characters in this series and in each book there is always a new character adde
Nidah (SleepDreamWrite)
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The mystery, the characters, the setting and just everything about this series I love. Oh and the writing style and pace of course. Also near the end got a little intense. What more could I say about this series that I haven't said for the other books. Five books in and already want to read the next one.
Debra
Mar 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Although the language seemed a bit stilted at times and it seemed to take a while for the main characters to make sense of what was happening, It was an enjoyable book. I will be reading more by this author!
Johnna
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Heavenly, PA sounds like a wonderful place to live where the Amish and English intermingle! Great series and great story
Darby Conley
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Love these cute cozy Amish mysteries.
Deann Doolittle
Mar 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy
I love this series. Hope she plans on writing more.
Kuulei
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Love this series! Have read the entire series and am longing for more!

Annie
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great read.
Susan Moxley
Nov 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Awesome story that keeps you guessing to the very end. I did not even guess the murder.
Sharon Bezrutczyk
Apr 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was great, left me wanting more. I want to know if Jakob ever gets to be with his family.
stefani westfall
Fine story

Pleasant cozy. I enjoy mellow and happy characters of Heavenly yet the story keeps me guessing until the end. I also like the little bit of romance.
Susan
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another excellent entry in this series.
JoAnn Fiske
Oct 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this series. I hope she keeps writing this. Can't wait for the next one.
Snap
Mar 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
A string of robberies in the Amish community and a murder. Claire goes undercover. There really isn't anything I don't like about these mysteries. Even the titles are clever! So, when is the next one out??!!
« previous 1 3 next »

• Remnants of Murder (A Southern Sewing Circle, #8)
  • Plain Killing (An Amish Mystery #2)
  • The Cat, the Collector and the Killer (A Cats in Trouble Mystery, #8)
  • Murder, Simply Stitched (Amish Quilt Shop Mystery, #2)
  • Meow If It's Murder (Nick and Nora Mysteries, #1)
  • Not a Creature Was Purring (Paws & Claws Mystery #5)
  • Lethal Licorice (Amish Candy Shop Mystery, #2)
  • Dead with the Wind (Southern Ladies Mystery, #2)
  • Forever Fudge
  • Antique Blues (Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery, #12)
  • Horse of a Different Killer (Call of the Wilde #3)
Aka Elizabeth Lynn Casey.

While spending a rainy afternoon at a friend's house nearly forty years ago, Laura Bradford fell in love with writing over a stack of blank paper, a box of crayons, and a freshly sharpened number two pencil.

Those early attempts at the craft had her writing and illustrating stories for young children. Wise beyond her years, Laura saved her first writing attempt in a hand de

An Amish Mystery (7 books)
  • Hearse and Buggy (An Amish Mystery, #1)
  • Assaulted Pretzel (An Amish Mystery, #2)
  • Shunned and Dangerous (An Amish Mystery, #3)
  • Suspendered Sentence (An Amish Mystery, #4)
  • Just Plain Murder (An Amish Mystery, #6)
  • A Killer Carol (An Amish Mystery #7)