Start by marking “Jack & Louisa: Act 2” as Want to Read:
Jack & Louisa: Act 2

Jack & Louisa: Act 2

After a whirlwind trip to the musical theater capital of the world—New York City—best friends Jack and Louisa soon discover that their encore performances might be a bit closer to home than expected.

Shaker Heights Middle School has announced a production of Guys and Dolls, a classic American musical and one of Jack and Lou's favorites. With Jack starring as Nathan and Loui
Published February 16th 2016 by Grosset & Dunlap

To ask other readers questions about Jack & Louisa, please sign up.

Start your review of Jack & Louisa: Act 2
Madeline Bennett
Jan 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I got this book as an early release at a theatre festival and I LOVED it! I read the first one in a day and decided that I HAD to read the second one. I read it also in a day and enjoyed it just as much! As a fellow theatre lover, I found this book very relatable as well as funny and enjoyable. A MUST READ for theatre lovers! :)
Kales
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Jack and Louisa are some of my favorite young characters. They are the friends I would have had when I was in middle school and I love that there is a pair of young, creative, best friends that I can introduce to young readers. And it's full of theater, which was my entire childhood. It's pleasantly perfect.

This one was a little more intense than the first one I think because it deals with failure and having to stand up and be brave even when adults are in the wrong. And then it humanizes adults
Ryan Poehler
Feb 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love the Jack & Louisa series! Great characters with an entertaining story involving friendship and theatre. There's always a great takeaway to each story. I so wished a book like this was written when I was younger. This will definitely inspire future and current lovers of Broadway. Looking forward to Act III! ...more
Elise
May 26, 2020 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of the first book in the series
Jack and Louisa: Act 2 was okay but not quite as good as the first book in the series. The conflict in this one just seems kind of weak, with no subplots to fill it out. The attempt at character development for Jack didn't really seem in line with the first book, and Lou just didn't get any--the plot doesn't ask much of her. In addition, Belinda was just really annoying, and not in a fun way, the whole gag with repeating "she hasn't been back in a really long time!" wasn't funny, and also I'm co ...more
Lisa Nocita
Jul 24, 2017 rated it liked it
This is the 2nd book in a series. I did not read the first book as a disclaimer. Very much an intermediate to middle grade title. Theater kids may enjoy this series. There is not a lot of action and it has a pretty simple narrative with a nice tidy, predictable resolution.
Meranda
Jan 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Keeping in mind that it was a book aimed for middle schoolers (I read it because AKB was one of the co authors), I thought it was overall enjoyable! It's a nice series to relax and read for fun.
Ms Threlkeld
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another entertaining and thoroughly satisfying book in a series aimed at theater nerds.
Ashley
Mar 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Good sequel to the first book. I wasn't a fan of how the story wrapped up so quickly.
Tnb
Jan 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: alone-5, alone-6, alone-7
The book is as wonderful as the first - definitely "a-must-read" for any broadway fan. However, the book can be liked by all middle schoolers-boys and girls. The book is warm and features strong and weak personnage representing each gender.
In a drama-free manner the book (as well as its predecessor) touches on important topics to which middle schoolers are opening up, topics that are part of the external, real world; not the sheltered, enclosed world younger students reside in-employment, achie
Kelly
Apr 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, fiction
Calling all Musical Theatre Nerds that's MTN for short! This story begins with Jack & Louisa visiting NYC over New Year's and attending more Broadway shows than I'll ever be able to afford in a lifetime. I guess it pays to have friends on Broadway (but I digress). Once back in Shaker Heights their attention returns to school and the next musical their school will be performing; Guys & Dolls. Over the break their music teacher had a skiing accident and will be unable to direct. Luckily a former s ...more
Stephanie
Jan 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Just like the first book, this was a fun, easy read. I loved all the theater references, it made me go back and get out my Guys and Dolls cast recording so I could remember how the show went. I hadn't listened to it in a long time. I like that these books are geared towards people like myself, big theater fans, and that I can sit and easily read through this in just a few sittings. Can't wait for another!
Jan 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
A MS drama tale with bits of New York's Broadway thrown in. Jack's flight from Broadway to Ohio was covered in the first book, yet the reasons for the move were made a bit of a mystery in this episode. The book reminded me of Tim Federle's Better Nate then Ever. The major conflict in this story centers around an adult, which in turn affects the teens.
Katie
Feb 21, 2016 rated it liked it
I keep wanting this series to be more like Tim Federle's Better Nate Than Ever series. I can see how the book would appeal to the age group it's intended for, but even then, the Nate series is more engaging, has more interesting characters, and doesn't try as hard.
Sydney
Apr 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! Can't wait for the third installment :) I also loved that it's become a favorite among my 5th grade students, who spend snack time discussing where they are in which Jack & Louisa book and making predictions about the characters. ...more
Darren
Jan 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing

If there is one thing I could praise in this 2nd book, it would be the villainous director. Very realistic and comparable to any typical director in any stage show. She's really misunderstood but she also has her human moments.

Can't wait for intermission to end and Act 3 to start.
Amanda
May 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
I love the theater-ness of this series as well as the back and forth between the two characters. I feel like young kids who don't have theater experience might have a more difficult time connecting with this as the main problem is very "showy"
Zanye
This book started out a little slow but definitely picked up. It was much longer and had a more complicated plot than the first book, which was appreciated. I really loved this book because I'm a theatre geek.
Leonel
May 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016books

After finishing 'Jack & Louisa:Act 1," I rushed into 'Act 2' right away, and it's even better. We follow Jack & Louisa's friendship, and their escapades.
Kym
Aug 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
A sweet follow up to Jack and Louisa: Act 1. As a MTN I loved the Broadway references, but wished there was a little more conflict.
Megan Markham
Jan 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
This series is simple and a quick read for adults as it is a children's chapter book. Lovers of theater will find delight in Jack and Louisa's world
Dana
Feb 01, 2017
Salvador Fernandez-Ragg
Jan 01, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Five, Six, Seven, Nate! (Better Nate Than Ever, #2)
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever, #1)
  • Book Scavenger (Book Scavenger, #1)
  • The Unbreakable Code (Book Scavenger, #2)
  • On the Horizon
  • Devoted
  • Charlie Thorne and the Last Equation
  • Drums, Girls & Dangerous Pie
  • After Ever After
  • The Great American Whatever
  • The Last Secret of the Deverills (Deverill Chronicles, #3)
  • Finding Langston
  • Posted
  • Summer House
  • Spy Camp (Spy School #2)
  • Zen and the Art of Faking It