Start by marking “The Reader's Brain: How Neuroscience Can Make You a Better Writer” as Want to Read:
The Reader's Brain: How Neuroscience Can Make You a Better Writer

The Reader's Brain: How Neuroscience Can Make You a Better Writer

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  60 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Have you ever found yourself re-reading the same sentence four or five times and thought 'I should get more sleep'? Are you clueless as to why one paragraph just seems to 'flow' while you simply can't recall the contents of another? Guess what: you are not alone. Even the best writers fail to grasp why their writing works. The Reader's Brain is the first science-based guid ...more
Published June 30th 2015 by Cambridge University Press

To ask other readers questions about The Reader's Brain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Reader's Brain

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of The Reader's Brain: How Neuroscience Can Make You a Better Writer
Eustacia Tan
Sep 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
I requested this book mainly because it held the promise of being able to make my writing better. While I won't have many opportunities to write academic papers in English (for now), there's always the chance I'll need it for my future job.

Basically, The Reader's Brain is supposed to teach you how to use the 5Cs - clarity, continuity, coherence, concision, and cadence, to write more effectively. The book contains a fair amount of research about how reading works, and provides lots of examples. T
Vince Darcangelo
Oct 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing

Most books on writing have the same fatal flaw: They may be inspiring and informative, but they seldom offer practical advice. Typically, you’ll get some variation of the following: write something every day; write what you know; active voice; character before plot.

Got it.

Yellowlees Douglas wants to change that with The Reader’s Brain. Drawing on science rather than Strunk and White, she offers tips on how to be a more effective writer, whether you’re penn
Sergio GRANDE
Jun 26, 2020 rated it liked it
No spoilers here; nothing could spoil this book any further.

I give it three stars because someone may find it as helpful as I found it useless. So it's fair to settle on the halfway mark. Fair and a little generous, I think.

Other than useless, I also found it disappointing. Wait, let me re-phrase that. I found it useless and very disappointing.

I am not a published writer -though I have written a full motion picture screenplay- but I write. My job has me writing documents that are submitted to a
Mizuki
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just happened to buy this book as a paperback and it was a good idea to make easy to refer whenever I write. I don't think I can follow the principles shown in this book very well yet (even during writing this review..) but I'd like to do my best in the future writings.
I like this book because, as the author mentioned, no other books focuses in the middle of micro and macro level of writing. Especially I like the cadence part!
Also one of the encouraging things for me is, good readers can be
Shira
Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing
Wonderful! Great tips
Gio
Feb 24, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although I'm a writer, I rarely read books about writing. I just find they give you the same repetitive (and obvious!) advice, such as write every day and avoid the passive voice like the plague. I made an exception for this book because all the tips are backed by science. By discovering how readers process the writing words, we can create texts that are easier to read, understand and enjoy.

I don't want to give away too much, so I'll just mention that Douglas' advice centres on the use of the 5C
Stuart Krams
Peter Chang
Oct 06, 2015
Jose Almonte
Feb 18, 2017

• Cockroaches (Harry Hole, #2)
  • The Slight Edge
  • Secret Formulas of the Wizard of Ads
  • The Glass Rainbow (Dave Robicheaux, #18)
  • The Elements of Eloquence: How to Turn the Perfect English Phrase
  • The Pledge: Your Master Plan for an Abundant Life
  • The Woman Who Smashed Codes: A True Story of Love, Spies, and the Unlikely Heroine who Outwitted America's Enemies
  • The Surprising Power of Liberating Structures: Simple Rules to Unleash A Culture of Innovation
  • Sex on the Moon: The Amazing Story Behind the Most Audacious Heist in History
  • Rivals! Frenemies Who Changed the World (Rivals!, #1)
  • The Adventures of Tom Stranger, Interdimensional Insurance Agent (Tom Stranger, Interdimensional Insurance Agent, #1)
  • Talk Like TED: The 9 Public-Speaking Secrets of the World's Top Minds
  • A Grown-Up Guide to Dinosaurs
  • The Axeman's Jazz (City Blues Quartet, #1)
  • Engine of Impact: Essentials of Strategic Leadership in the Nonprofit Sector
  • Good Leaders Ask Great Questions: Your Foundation for Successful Leadership
  • A Mind for Numbers: How to Excel at Math and Science (Even If You Flunked Algebra)
  • Buddha in Blue Jeans: An Extremely Short Simple Zen Guide to Sitting Quietly and Being Buddha

News & Interviews