Start by marking “Breaking Him (Love is War, #1)” as Want to Read:
Breaking Him (Love is War, #1)

Breaking Him

(Love is War #1)

4.21  ·  Rating details ·  10,195 ratings  ·  1,113 reviews
SCARLETT

It was the kind of relationship where I invested more than I had to spare.

I gave it everything.

And so when it failed, I lost myself.

It changed me. He changed me.

I went down with the ship.

My soul, burnt embers in the aftermath.

The fire of him ravaged it all.

He burned me.

Broke me.

Scarlett had always dreamed big. She was headed straight for Hollywood. Destined for
Published October 3rd 2015 by R.K. Lilley

To ask other readers questions about Breaking Him, please sign up.
Juuh Palmeira I know what you mean, I'm tired of plots like that myself, but It is not like that. They both know each other since they were practically kids and the…moreI know what you mean, I'm tired of plots like that myself, but It is not like that. They both know each other since they were practically kids and the story is told between the present and the past. In the present they are both a little bit angry with the world and might seem troubled for you, but reading the book you'll understand why, you'll see everything that they've been through together and you'll will die for some answers. Then you'll have to read book 2 and will probably love both books! :)
I'll just say that you'll see in this story things that you probably saw already in other books, but it works really well here and I still recommed the book.(less)

·  10,195 ratings  ·  1,113 reviews

Start your review of Breaking Him (Love is War, #1)
SueBee★bring me an alpha!★

★★★★★! Breaking Him, book 1 of 2. Dante & Scarlett were destined to be together until something derailed their love!

Breaking him until he was as broken as me was the only thing that would ever be enough.

Books in Love is War duet should be read in order:
Book 1: Breaking Him
Book 2: Breaking Her

♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
Dont You Remember by Adele captures the beauty and pain of their love ♫ CLICK TO LISTEN ♫

I know I have a fickle heart and a bitterness
And a
Christy
Aug 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-audios
4-4.5 stars!

photo 573D8F88-FAE4-4F10-BAA1-A9CAA29CC98D_zps23gi4yyv.jpg
What happens when two people of terrible pride fall for each other? Terrible things. Destruction. Chaos. Pain. Sorrow. War.

R.K. Lilley brings it once again with a crazy angst-filled, disastrous love story. She is one of the only authors I know that can consistently pull this off without making me want to pull my hair out. This, much like Tristan and Danika but also different in a lot of ways, kept my heart racing, my palms sweating and left me wondering WTF is going to happen
Jennifer Kyle
Aug 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 STARS

Once upon a time, Id been his angel.

[image error]

Damn what an angsty ride! When does book two come out? What the hell happened in the past that broke Scarlett and Dante up? (I have my guesses.) Fans of angsty heartbreak youre going to devour this book. Scarlett and Dantes story is told in the present with chapters of the past.

description

In the present Dante appears on a flight of Scarletts in an attempt to tell her some really bad news. These two have astronomical amounts of chemistry and
Brandi
Oct 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fucking cliffhangers!!! GRRRR!!
description
I need to process before I try to review....
But I will leave you with this. ANGST. This book is page after page of brutal angst.
✦❋Arianna✦❋
Aug 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
4 Stars!!

description

Love is never satisfied with half-measures. It wont take parts of you. It will own all of you, every single, longing piece. Love will make you its slave. It will ruin you. Grind you under its heel until you dont recognize whats left. Love will take your soul.

Damn...this was good! It was better than I expected. Prepare yourself for a heathy dose of angst because this book has plenty of it. Fortunately for me (and Im sure for others readers as well) it was the good kind of angst if
Alex is The Romance Fox
 photo download202_zpsjdhw8kxl.jpg
The journey that R.K. Lilleys latest book, Breaking Him left me with a feeling of great elation, an euphoric high, euphoric high giddy, fuming, ticked-off, happy, excited, anticipation, hopefully, sad, hateful.hell, talk about an emotional overdrive!!!!
 photo 2gcrqWr_zps8s9nj1ff.gif
I became hooked on R.K. Lilley after reading her incredible Up in the Sky Series and I cannot miss out on any of her books, so I was so so excited to begin page 1 of Breaking Him which is #1 of her Love is War duet.

I have so much feelings about
Geri Reads
Aug 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
"You and I being together is not a question, Scarlett, it's a fact of life."

So....
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lots of them actually, but I'll keep them to myself for now.

Scarlett and Dante have a whole lot of sordid history. When we meet them, its apparent that Scarlett has a lot of anger towards Dante and that Dante had broken her heart. And she makes no secret of her hatred towards him. Seriously. Her hate and anger permeates the pages of this book, you could practically taste it.

We only know Dante through Scarletts
A.
4 stars

I read the books in this series one after the other so I decided to review them as a whole because separate reviews would be too repetitive.

You can find my joint spoiler-free review here: Review
Rachel Reads Ravenously
5 stars!

photo breaking him casting.png

This book fucking WRECKED ME. R.K. Lilley is pure magic! Not that I am surprised, the Tristan and Danika series is one of my all time favorites, but after The Wild Side books I had drawn away from Lilley for a bit. But
Pavlina Read more sleep less blog❤❤
4 STARS

For me this was one of the most anticipated books for this month! I was waiting patiently for it to go live so I could finally read it! The story started off well and I instantly became a part of the story! It's fast passed, full of angst, hot, emotional and mysterious.The fact that the story jumps from past to present made it even more interesting and
Jasmine
4.5 STARS! ★★★★☆

"Love is never satisfied with half-measures. It won't take parts of you. It will own all of you, every single, longing piece."

OH MY GOD. THIS BOOK. This is EXACTLY what I've been waiting for from RK Lilley for the longest time. I've had rotten luck with her past few works but THIS ONE is the one that reminded me why I loved her work in the first place. She came, she brought the mothafreaking angst and she absolutely conquered.

Both Scarlett and Dante completely owned this book.
Catarina
4 Broken Stars.

Dante and Scarlett were completely in love once until Dante broke her heart and never looked back.
Ten years later they meet again and this time Scarlett is settled in getting her revenge and break his heart this time. But when the past and the future keeps mixing together and a lot of questions start to appear, will Scarlett go ahead with her plan, or will past repeat itself?

description

There was so many twists and turns in this book that for a moment I didnt know each way I should turn
Coco.V
Sep 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing

Freaking phenomenal read!!

Talk about one dysfunctional couple! Scarlett and Dante are so perfectly imperfect together. This book was a beautiful, gritty, destructive and gut-wrenching love story. The entire book was a roller coaster of emotions.

This story was about family, secrets, betrayal, grief, forgiveness and love. A story that will own you!

The story unfolds alternating between past and present. They were childhood sweethearts, first love, first everything, until something awful happened
Sharon ∞❥ is an emotional book junkie ❥∞
4.5 ★'s

R.K. Lilley is pretty much an auto buy for me and this was no exception. I couldn't wait to get my little grabby hands on this book even without having a clue what it was about. I have to say that I was utterly delighted !

Dante and Scarlett have known each other since the fourth grade when she became aware of him because she overheard him sticking up for her...and that was a very rare thing. You see, when Scarlett was born, she was found in a trash can and with only having a poor
Beverly
Mar 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
This story is definitely angst-ridden and leaves you wanting more. I am not just referring to the cliffhanger ending, I am referring to the fact that at the end of every chapter I was needing more.

Scarlett and Dante were friends from a young age and turned into lovers as they got older. Dante is from a wealthy family and Scarlett is infamous in her small town for being unwanted and penniless. They have every reason to not be together, but from the beginning Dante protects Scarlett.

The story is
TheCrazyWorldOfABookLover
Aug 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommended to TheCrazyWorldOfABookLover by: lovers of bad bitches and angst
description

It was never enough. Breaking him until he was as broken as me was the only thing that would never be enough.

Breaking him is the story of Scarlett and Dante. Talk about one dysfunctional couple!

They hate each other.

They love each other.

They love to hate each other.

Scarlett and Dante were child hood sweethearts, and while they could not have come from more completely different lives, they connect from a young age and fall into a mad, passionate love.

In the present, all we know is something
Norah Una Sumner
description

It's kind of hard to like these characters. The story itself wasn't bad. There is obviously something from the past that makes them both act the way they do but I'm guessing that it will be revealed in the sequel. It had some funny moments though.
Are those German chocolate? he asked. Like you used to make?
Not quite the same recipe. I tweaked it a bit. Spoiler alert: The secret ingredient now is hate.

description

And many,many moments that made me roll my eyes...
"That was fine. I was ready.
I grabbed
Natasha is a Book Junkie
Nov 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Full review of duet posted at: http://natbkj.me/love-is-war
Vi Keeland
Mar 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved it so much! From page one, the desperation of this couple had my heart beating out of control. I'm thankful there is a book two, just so I didn't have to give them up yet! Beautiful writing and feels.
Vilma Iris
Oct 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Irresistibly explosive and edgy with melt-the-pages tension that will have you furiously flipping pages and clamoring for more.

You know those scenes from movies? Where two people scream at each other, throw things at each other, sling every hateful word at each otherI hate yous and never agains and worse? Scenes where you think theyre about to murder each other, but instead suddenly rapidly they dissolve into a frenzied, urgent, inescapable fit of kissing and touching and needing? You know those
Ellen ✦ Book Bellas ✦
4.5 Passionate Stars!!

MAJOR heartache. MAJOR passion. And a strong heroine with a painful past! Im obsessed with Scarlett and Dante!!

Love is War is a great description of this second chance, lovers-to-enemies story. BREAKING HIM was nothing that I expected. I need the second book yesterday! I must know more about Scarlett and Dante!!

This story has very much of a Tristan-and-Danika feel to it. The chemistry between Scarlett and Dante is almost so real, you can feel it leap off the pages. Why is
Andie
Oct 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: contemporary, romance
4.5 Love, Hate Stars!

Holy angst ridden roller coaster!! I'm such a sucker for tons of angst and heartache it's not even funny and R.K. Lilley is the Queen!

Scarlett and Dante go way back to when they were kids and a whole messy history to go along with it. This story is told from Past and Present POV of Scarlett. When we first meet Scarlett, her hatred and distaste for Dante, aka The Bastard, is very evident. In fact she goes out of her way to prove how much she despises the man who broke her
AJ
I do believe in love I believe its the most destructive force on earth.

4 bitter, twisted and angsty stars

I love R.K. Lilley. She writes brilliantly angsty, emotionally intense stories with fantastic, sexy romance, and shes given us something really unique in this book - a love/hate story that is absolutely brimming with intensity and that is more disaster than romance, but one that is dripping with chemistry and angst and held me absolutely captivated.

Scarlett dreams of life as a movie star,
Lea ★
Sep 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: lovers of second chance romance
I NEED A SECOND BOOK... LIKE YESTERDAY!

This cliffhanger is killin'me and I am still processing this...
Holy f*cking angst! BRILLIANT!
This is R.K. Lilley at her best.
I had this book on my Kindle from the moment it was published, but I waited on purpose to read it cause' I knew that there will probably be a HUGE cliffy. Even though it was published in 2015, I am quite positive this book will be in my top 5 for this year.
Second instalment is planned for end of March, so I guess I won't have to
Beatrice Masaluñga
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: new-adult
Holy shit. That is one popcorn-worthy drama and that ending is insane. Scarlett Theroux and Dante Durant were childhood best friends and ex-lovers who hated each other. Their relationship was almost perfect until it went downhill which resulted to anger and hate for each other. These two have an intense verbal lashes, blazing sexual tension and SO. MUCH. ANGST.

There is a missing piece in this puzzle and I have a feeling someone destroyed their relationship purposely. I'm eager to find out more
Envywho
Oct 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved it. I enjoyed the characters, the story not so much the ending because I have zero patience and with that cliff hanger I need the next book asap. Like now.
London
UPDATE: after reading book two I'm glad to say my concerns were addressed and I found the answers I was looking for. Based on the facts in book 2 this book was definitely a 4 star for me based on the passion, angst, and suspense. I'm still weighing my rating for book 2.

So I can't rate this until I get more details in book 2. I'm not 100% sure if my tags about cheating or him actually having been with other women are true yet. I feel like there is more to the story and maybe what is exposed in
Mindy Lou's Book Review
Apr 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
I'm not a huge fan of high angst books but when they are done right I know they are worth the emotional turmoil. This book is done right. Once I started it, I couldn't put it down. R.K. Lilley is one of my top favorite authors and the more I read of hers, the more I love her books.

At the end of book one I'm still trying to guess what's truly going on. This story starts out after everything has already happened so you learn only little pieces at a time. It's frustrating but also brilliant of the
Ezinwanyi
Scarlet: "He owned me...I don't need food, I don't need air or shelter. I just need this"

I dislike these types of New Adult books with stupid drama that could be addressed and dealt with if the couple just communicated with each other.
Scarlett and Dante were in love but Dante left her and broke her heart for reasons unknown. When the flight attendant Scarlett sees Dante on one of her flights, she resolves to break him like he broke her. So they begin these games of who can play who, and they use
Melanie
There is only one heart in this universe that calls to mine, and it does call. Constantly, relentlessly, it sings out to me in a captivating, resonating voice. Day after day, year after year, it calls to me. But I wont listen to it. It belongs to a liar.

I've read everything by R.K. Lilley, so when I heard she had a new book series coming out I knew I wouldn't be able to resist. Her writing style is just my weakness. I gobble up everything she creates. Bad Things, to this day, has the best sex

• Inappropriate
  • Hooker
  • Enemies
  • Ruin  (Slay Quartet, #2)
  • Rivalry (Slay Quartet, #1)
  • Turbulence (Turbulence, #1)
  • Last Kiss (First and Last, #2)
  • Dirty Filthy Rich Men (Dirty Duet, #1)
  • Angry God (All Saints High, #3)
  • Park Avenue Player
  • First Touch (First and Last, #1)
  • Broken Knight (All Saints High, #2)
  • Iron Crowne
  • Pretty Reckless (All Saints High, #1)
  • The Kiss Thief
  • To Love Jason Thorn
  • In the Unlikely Event
  • Beauty from Pain (Beauty, #1)
R.K. Lilley has been a writer since she can remember, but has held down some interesting jobs to pay the bills. For several years she was a first class flight attendant, and she always swore that she just had to write a book about it. Mixing her love of romance and all things BDSM, the Up In the Air Trilogy is her debut into the world of contempary romance and erotica. She is currently working on ...more

Love is War (2 books)
  • Breaking Her (Love is War, #2)

News & Interviews

“Love is never satisfied with half-measures.  It won’t take parts of you.  It will own all of you, every single, longing piece.   “Love will make you its slave,” I stated venomously.  “It will ruin you.  Grind you under its heel until you don’t recognize what’s left.   “Love will take your soul.” 23 likes
“The most toxic relationships in life are defined by the way they make us feel about ourselves.” 18 likes