Start by marking “Silver Scars” as Want to Read:
Silver Scars

Silver Scars

You need people to love you, especially when you shove them away.

A bomb destroyed high-powered lawyer Gil Lemieux’s seemingly perfect life, and PTSD has ruled every decision since the explosion that left him scarred inside and outside. Moving home with his mom is meant to be a temporary measure, just like proofreading for a medical editorial firm is meant to be a stopgap.
Published June 22nd 2015 by Labyrinth Bound Press

To ask other readers questions about Silver Scars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Silver Scars

Sheri
Jul 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Sometimes in life you take one step forward and then two or three steps back. It can become a dance of highs and lows. Navigating the nasty lowlands can be a nightmare, but it doesn't have to be.
The trick is finding the perfect dancing partner.
Gil found just the right dance partner, but he’s not sure he’s capable of a duo just yet.

Gil’s life was sailing along in blissful harmony when everything came to a screaming halt. His successful career as a family law attorney provided him with all the l
Tamika♥RBF MOOD♥

Second chances were the premise of the book to me. Gil and Keith went through a traumatic experience in different ways. Both were resigned to a life of loneliness, and they just happened upon each other. It's a feel good story with healing, but to me very somber. Posy Roberts is a must read author for me. It's something so relate able about her words that pull her readers in. Every word she writes, I'm able to imagine it in real time images. I often call her work real life experiences,
Lori
Jun 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bmbr-reads, 2015
Gil's story is heartbreaking really, and tells tale of just how fragile life is. Not just in the live or die way, but in the way that, as humans,we think we know where our life is going. We have a plan, we've done the schooling, got the job, the house, the family, the whatever it is we've strived for (or we're in the midst of doing said things) and we rarely anticipate how easily it can all be snatched away.

We see daily on the news disasters happening, but they are something that happens to othe
Helena Stone
Jun 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Review to follow but, long story short: WOW

“You’re my oldest friend. I couldn’t leave you to deal with this shit alone. It might’ve been what you thought you wanted, but that’s utter bullshit. You need friends. You need people to love you, especially when you shove them away.” – Frankie

If you have been following my reviews I guess this is getting kinda repetitive but...oh my gosh, wow. Silver Scars is a very special book. It touched me, took me by surprise and left me uplifted and awed.

This boo
Kaje Harper
Dec 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
A realistic look at a man whose life was blown apart in one explosive moment, and who has to work to find a way forward. Gil was a family lawyer who took on a case with a violent ex-husband - a man crazy enough to try to blow up his ex-wife's lawyer. Gil survived without severe injury, but with visible scars on his head, and deep PTSD that forced him to give up his job and move home with his mother. He's been trying to get back his independence for the last 2 years, with the help of a good thera ...more
JustJen "Miss Conduct"
Jun 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bgirls, mm, ebook

A review by The Blogger Girls.

This was a really sweet story, despite the circumstances that brought these two together.

Gil was recovering from an explosion caused by the ex of one of his clients, so not only was he dealing with the trauma and resulting PTSD from the blast, but from the terror associated with his work as a lawyer. He is recovering, but now lives with his mother in Arizona. He has taken a job as a copy editor after being unable to face being a lawyer again. It is through this job,
Lelyana

It started good, but not very long , then I lost my interest in Keith and Gilbert's story.
Both were suffer from physical injuries, having a very heavy insecurity about 'appearance' didn't really affect me much.

They've met and joined in the hip the first day they met. Okay, called it a fling. But no, all of a sudden Gil can not live without Keith and feel miserable while he's away in anot
Federica Lemme
Jun 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mm-inglese
4,5 stars

This beautiful book is about one of the greatest losses that we may encounter. The loss of ourselves, of our identity, but it is also a book about hope and second chances.
Gil Lemieux was a lawyer who dealt with family law, with an almost perfect life, until he becomes the victim of a bomb attack perpetrated by an angry father from one of his cases.
Since that time two years before, his life has not been the same. It’s full of scars, he had to leave his job because of the panic attacks
Mercedes
Dec 12, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: mm-romance
Nice but boring.
Amanda
Dec 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: heal-comfort
Every wonder what it would be like to see people fall in love and they fall in love with who the other person is 100%? They love the WHOLE of them, scars and all. No useless drama or over the top family, just love. That's what Silver Scars shows us. It shows how two people can love each other, and love through the hard times, unforeseen events and miles separating them.

Both Gil and Keith have had horrible events in the past that still effects their futures. They both hold scars that show their
Vfields Don't touch my happy!
Sliver Scars by Posey Roberts was one of those sweet little surprises that I live for. This is the story of Gil Lemieux who had a perfect life until it's blown to bits by a nutcase. He meets Keith Kramer and the two of them begin a 1500-mile relationship that develops into a true adult love story. I say I adult love story because it was so darn refreshing to have adults who were expressing their adult emotions in such an honest and terrifyingly human way. I enjoyed their journey and I honestly e ...more
Fani *loves angst*
I really enjoyed this story, which was more about two broken people finding their inner peace while getting strength from each other, than a pure romance. But they were both very likeable characters and I liked that there was not instant-healing by a magic penis as it usually happens in many romances of this genre. Really nice.
Mandi
Jun 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance-mm
2stars. I was really excited about the blurb, so it was a bit of a letdown. I seem to be in the minority here, but I just didn't really connect with the main characters.
Sonia189
When we live through something it's obviously easier to be able to have an opinion so I can say I'm not any sort of expert in how one should cope with the sort of issues the two main characters go through in this book. But from the POV of a romance reader, the romance part of this story felt a little bit rushed considering the amount of issues one could explore.
I was also slightly bored here and there...
Stella ╰☆╮╰☆╮
I couldn't put it down for a minute. REVIEW COMING SOON @Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words

Silver Scars is my first book by Posy Roberts, but surely not my last. I loved it so much I can’t wait for more by the author. The North Star series is already on my august shelf. Have you read Mika’s “Discovering New Authors” ? Check it here http://scatteredthoughtsandroguewords...

This book was special for many reasons but first of all I want to point out something that won me over and made me appreciate
Bibliophile
Jan 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars.

This is my first time reading a book my Posey Roberts. I suspect it won't be my last.

Her writing style reminds me a lot of Cardeno C. in that this book has almost little-to-no angst. Instead, the book features two men who find each other, and over the course of the book, slowly fall deeper and deeper into love. There are no major disagreements between the couple, no major fights, nor worries that the couple won't make it (beyond a few superficial moments).

But unlike Cardeno C., this
Natalie
Feb 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, kindle-loaned, amazon
Never thought I'd love it!

This story felt so incredibly real for me. Posy Roberts is a new-for-me author, and I picked this one to try. So glad I did. Being mature myself (physically anyway!), I like having characters I can relate to better. I've never experienced anything traumatic though, fortunately, so it was quite interesting to read this take on PTSD. I've read books with military characters, but of course they deal with different causes.

The description of Gil's journey and experiences, a
Karlijn
Jun 15, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: hurt-comfort-mm, mm
It was okay but not more than that. Too bad because I really love the other stories by Posy Roberts. But for me this story was too lang. The story was nice and okay, but there weren't any blow-ups and break-ups and not that that is necessary but now the story was too long to keep entertaining me. But because I really liked the MC's I can't give it less than three stars.

Teresa
Jun 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sweet with a slow burn.

This wasn’t near as heart wrenching as I thought it’d be. I was glad that they weren’t suffering from abuse trauma as so many books have now a days. Not that their trauma was somehow less. I think the book portrayed PTSD and disability well. There were no magic fixes. I liked how their relationship developed.
Stephanie
Aug 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
"Yeah. You're not broken. I'm not chopped to bits. We're just two men who occasionally have the past still nipping at our heals."

I loved this book, I was prepared for an angstfest but what I got was a real story, with real issues, no unnecessary angst and threaded with hope, acceptance and love.

The book does start with instalove but after just 1 night together Gil has to go home so they decide to continue their relationship long distance (Minnesota/Phoenix). I enjoyed getting to know both Gil an
Mihaela
Originally posted on http://mikkysworldofbooks.blogspot.fr...

Wow. This book is an emotional rollercoaster. For the characters, but for me as well.

Gil has been a lawyer, a successful one, until an explosion took everything from him: his job, his financial security, his friends, his confidence leaving him an emotional mess, unable to function because of his severe PTSD.

Whomever meets Keith for the first time can never guess that behind his good looks and cheerful demeanor he hides a lot of pain, b
Crina (Reading Addict)
Jan 01, 2017 rated it did not like it
I decided to start my reading year with an M/M romance, because I have a soft spot for them and I haven't read one in a while. And, lucky me, picked one that I completely disliked.

In a non-spoilery way, this was what I hate about M/M romances and any kind of romance books in general: insta-love or insta/liking (and people getting gorrillas in their stomach after they just saw 'the one' or the man/woman they suddenly want to sleep with or have a relationship), plain and uni-dimensional character
Pjm12
Jun 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Lately work has been interfering with my reading time (hate when I feel guilty enough to halt my reading *what the?*), so it wasn't that this story didn't keep my interest, it was more, I always had something more pressing to do.

My frustration about this knows no bounds.

Anyway, both Gil and Keith's lives have been marred by tragedy. And they are barely getting by. When they meet at Keith's workplace, while Gil is in town on training sessions, the attraction is deep and mutual.

While I felt enormo
Beacullen
Jun 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m
This book starts with Gil on a plane having a panic attack and being helped by a total stranger. Since he was hurt in an explosion his life has not been his own. He's dependant on his mother to help him just by being there for him. He's lost so much of the strong, confident man he was. When he meets Keith while working out of town, he thinks there is no way Keith could feel the same way he does. But he eventually finds out he's wrong. These two guys both have been given such tough circumstances ...more
Shannelle Lamour :)
Jul 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I decided to try this book out after reading the raving reviews. I was a tad hesitant going into it as I find that books with a huge focus on self esteem issues and ptsd tend to be cheesy and easily overdone but this book was so heart wrenchingly beautiful I just couldn't put it down. I loved the writing style. My first Posy Roberts book and I'll definitely be checking out her others after this. The relationship between Gil and Keith never felt over dramatic. I felt there was real support and re ...more
Stacey
Dec 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle-lendable
A deeply beautiful story.

There was such realness in this story. It wasn't easy or simple, there wasn't a clear-cut path to happiness, just as there isn't in Real life. These two men go through more than most, their happy ending has many obstacles to work through, but everything is worth the love they share.
Dreamer
3.5 stars. This is a very worthy book told in the first-person present-tense from bomb victim Gil's pov. Gil suffers from facial scarring and PTSD, he meets Keith who has overcome similar problems after being shot in the leg.

I did get a bit bored as much of the book covers everyday stuff without a whole lot of drama but the characters are likeable and the conclusion is satisfying.
~ Lei ~ Reading Is An Adventure ~
★★★☆☆ ~ 3.5 Stars
I like second chance stories and this was ok. Two lonely guys, both physically and one mentally damaged meet at their work when Gil comes for some more in-depth training and sparks fly and a long distance relationship ensues. Got a bit tedious towards the end.
Suzy
Jun 23, 2015 rated it it was ok
Struggled to finish this but I hate to a leave a book half read (although I did find myself skimming).

Could not connect with either MC, and overall this story felt like a self help book rather than a hurt/comfort romance.

Sorry but not for me :(
Tjarde
Jan 01, 2016 rated it liked it
2.75
  • Ómorphi
  • The Tin Box
  • The Little Things
  • Private Display of Affection
  • Recovery (Salvage Stories, #2)
  • Two Silent Cries
  • Bring Him Home
  • Despite the Odds (Odds Are, #1)
  • King Perry (The Lost and Founds, #1)
  • Unquiet (Resilient Love #3)
  • Anything Could Happen (The Boy Who Came in From the Cold #2)
  • 500 Miles (500 Miles 1, An MLR Mixed Tape)
  • Scars (Scars #1)
  • Feat of Clay (Men of London #4)
  • The Truth About Riley
  • Loud and Clear
  • Toy With Me
  • Final Admission
Posy Roberts started reading romance when she was young, sneaking peeks at adult books long before she should’ve. Textbooks eventually replaced the novels, and for years she existed without reading for fun. When she finally picked up a romance two decades later, it was like slipping on a soft hoodie . . . that didn’t quite fit like it used to. She wanted something more.

She wanted to read about men
“You used to think your scars were your kryptonite. To me they’ve always made you seem like a superhero.” 3 likes
“I get nightmares sometimes too. They’re not real, ya know. Just our brains working out scary things we don’t wanna think about during the day.” 0 likes