Start by marking “Forte” as Want to Read:
Forte

Forte

Published July 25th 2015 by Xchyler Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Forte, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Forte

Sue Ross
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a very good book for Young and Older Adults alike. The author sets the scene so well, I could nearly smell the school setting. The plot is very cleverly written to include many issues experienced by teenagers, but does not patronise its audience. Teenage dishes, peer group pressure, social isolation, substance addiction/abuse and the challenging relationships between parents and young adults, are all interwoven in the story with a big dose of mystery and magic. I highly recommend this bo ...more
Kamini Mehta
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ah,teenage angst. I thoroughly enjoyed this tale. The angst is palpable. More surprisingly, it is immediate and doesn't feel overly dramatic. That is a feat that many YA books cannot manage. I highly recommend this.
Susan Angela Wallace
Jan 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Forte by jd spero.
Back in New York City, piano filled Sami McGovern's life, but moving upstate has changed everything. Thanks to the coach at Skenesboro High, Sami's volleyball skills blossom like magic. But success comes at a cost, and the same sports drink that makes her a superstar silences her music. Worse still, to stay in the "in" crowd, she must betray the few true friends she has made in the tiny town. Her one hope: fulfill a prophecy to end the magic before it destroys her...and everyon
Angie Jones-Moore
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading Forte. Having a teenage daughter myself I found I could relate to the main character, the way Sami is portrayed is really up my street.

I haven't read anything like this for a while, so it took my brain a bit to adjust to the magic and intrigue. Once I was in the right mode I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I love magic and fantasy, it is a welcome escape from the real world! The author has captured the teenage life without belittling the reader or the characters. I would recommend
Sarah Ramsden
Mar 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a YA book. I really enjoyed reading it, it weaved it’s magic around me. It’s beem a while since I read a YA book and can’t wait to read the next book. If you love a good fantasy book then this is for you.
The Author Visits
J. D. Spero, author of Catcher’s Keeper, a 2013 Amazon Breakthrough Novel quarter-finalist releases her second novel, Forte. Published by Xchyler Publishing, Forte is a young adult fantasy.

The story centers around Sami, a young piano prodigy whose world turns upside down after moving to Skenesboro, New York. A place so unlike New York City, Sami isn’t sure how she will fit in. Leaving her two best friends behind, she feels more alone than ever until something miraculous happens. Sami, who has ne
Anika
Jun 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
I received an Advance Reader Copy of Forte. Having seen small excerpts of this novel in its earlier stages, I was thrilled for the chance to read Forte before its official release. (July 25, 2015)

Piano is Sami McGovern's first love. But when she moves from New York City to her mom's upstate hometown of Skenesboro, she's not only thrust into a new environment, but right onto Skenesboro High's gymnasium floor, for volleyball tryouts. Sami's no athlete. She's a musician. But coach Payne insists she
Brian Turner
Jun 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
Despite not being a member of the target audience I enjoyed this book. The story is fluid and engaging. The setting is interesting since it is so close to home as well.

I did have trouble identifying with the main character a bit and I found her frustrating at times. Maybe that's how a teenage girls mind works though. Lol.

As a fan of epic fantasy I enjoyed this as a relaxing read that still held a bit of magic without bogging down the story with a lot of rules and complicated character arcs.

I wo
Jirinka (sony08)
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
More reviews at: https://noemptyshelveshere.blogspot.c...

Young adult fiction has for a while become somewhat stagnant in the whole vampire, supernatural genre, which I must admit I do enjoy as one of my guilty pleasures. But after reading Flawed by Cecelia Ahern and then this book I feel like this genre is now getting much bigger and covering more of the modern day issues that youngster these days have to face.

Forte started off slightly confusing and I couldn’t really identify with the main char
Lene Blackthorn
Jan 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
A solid YA fantasy with some interesting spins.
Sami left NYC with her mother basically against her will. With not many friends even in NYC, she feels like an outcast at the new school; even the music teacher is a disappointment for her, since she is a very talented pianist. Drawn by the popularity of the volleyball team and their success in the states championship over the past decade, she decides to go to tryouts - and by a touch of magic, she suddenly knows how to play. But the starry athletic
Kay Lana
Feb 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. the characters are full and really likeable. The story is unusual and refreshing ams moves at a perfect pace to keep the reader enthralled. I loved the fantasy element to this book, (not my normal genre), just enough to make it real and fun.
M.K.
Jul 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
So, J. D. Spero is excellent at capturing teenage angst and high school drama. Whew, the flashbacks I got while reading this... borderline discomforting. Did I read this series in the wrong order? Yep. Did it hurt my reading of the first 2 books? Not in the least.
Story is great. Characters are interesting.
Can't wait for the next installment... though, having read book 2 then book 1, I am a touch nervous about the fate of some of the MCs now.
Sydney
Jul 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
J.D. (Johannah Davis) Spero has written an entertaining urban fantasy story that teens will love. This story brings to light real-life challenges teens have. Some of these include choosing who their real friends are and where they will fit in, whether it is in the band, the theater, or a sport, such as volleyball in the story. It also shows the conflict between Sami and her mother, even as her mother supports her, something every teen goes through. Teens will easily relate to the characters in t ...more
Priya
Mar 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
A very well written YA novel.
The combination of reality with legend has been done very well.
Sami is an interesting character dealing with the regular teenage angst along with having to choose between what she wants and what she thinks she should want.
I enjoyed this one.
Vanessa
Feb 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Couldn't put it down. Really captured the trauma of high school, and the short timespans that exacerbated the trauma. I wish I read this book 15 years ago!
Rosemary Heller
Jan 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
excellent treatment of teen issues of belonging, young love, and alienation. Very interesting plot development.
Sally Mcdonagh
Mar 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Sami moves with her mum from nyc to skenesbourgh where her mum grew up and is not happy about it. She has a talent for playing the piano and doesn’t believe that this talent will be nurtured in this small town. She’s also left her friends behind and starts her first day at school anxiously. She gets picked to be on the volleyball team, surprisingly as she’s not an athlete, and loses herself in the game and moves away from her piano. But things are not what they seem with the team. What is the en ...more
Nicole Nurse
Oct 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book was an absolute pleasure to read. This book creates a nostalgic experience for adults and a world young adults can relate to. Strained mother-daughter relationships, peer pressure, bullying, substance abuse, suburban living and the importance of nurturing your innate talents are all themes addressed in this book. The action moves steadily and there are a lot of suspense-filled moments that made me wonder "and then what?" in anticipation. Give your pre-teen something fun to read and dow ...more
Danielle Shipley
I got the opportunity to read this book early, and it was both an interesting and a frustrating experience for me.

Interesting, in part, because of the unique way the story incorporated some familiar figures from Greek mythology. In all my years of fascination in that area, I’ve never seen Hermes and Hephaestus portrayed quite like this, so that was an inventive spin. I also enjoyed the story’s location. Call me a sucker for a canal and creepy old houses in the mountains.

Frustrating, largely, bec
Jessie
Aug 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Sami a young girl gifted with the skill of playing piano has been uprooted from her nyc home to a small town where her mum would like to do some research.

Sami is swept away into the world of volleyball when she is unexpectedly chosen to be on the school team.
As she starts to get more involved with volleyball and less with piano she finds her artistic skills slipping away could this be a coincidence that one skill is replacing the other.

I thought the book was ok the story line kept me mostly inte
Lisa
Kristina Masset
Sep 09, 2016
Leslie Beebe
Dec 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Good teen fantasy read. I liked the characters but felt the book dragged
J.D. Spero
Jun 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Sandra
Jan 03, 2016
Andrea
Jun 22, 2016
Herbs having anti-inflammatory and analgesic 1 2 Oct 23, 2016 10:53PM
  • Mercy: The Last New England Vampire
  • Shadow of the Last Men
  • The Accidental Apprentice (Accidental Magik, #1)
  • Conjectrix (Vivatera, #2)
  • On the Isle of Sound and Wonder
  • A Midsummer Night's Steampunk
  • The Bookminder (The Bookminder #1)
  • Roxie and the Hooligans
  • Lemonade Mouth Puckers Up
  • Texting the Underworld
  • Romeo Blue (Felicity Bathburn #2)
  • The Other Way Around
  • White Dolphin
  • Little Dog, Lost
  • Road Trip
  • North of Nowhere
  • Marathon Woman: Running the Race to Revolutionize Women's Sports
  • A Dash of Magic (The Bliss Bakery, #2)
Johannah Davies (JD) Spero’s writing career took off when her first release, Catcher’s Keeper, was a finalist in the Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award in 2013. Since then, she’s found similar success with her young adult fantasy Forte series, winning recognition from National Indie Excellence Award (2014, 2016), Adirondack Literary Award (2015), and Book Excellence Award (2016). But it was her exper ...more