Start by marking “Away We Go” as Want to Read:
Away We Go

Away We Go

Westing is not your typical school. For starters, you have to have one very important quality in order to be admitted—you have to be dying. Every student at Westing has been diagnosed with PPV, or the Peter Pan Virus. No one is expected to live to graduation.

What do you do when you go to a school where no one has a future? Noah Falls, his girlfriend Alice, and his best fri
Published April 5th 2016 by Greenwillow Books

To ask other readers questions about Away We Go, please sign up.

“I’ve often thought about what Peter Pan would look like if he were a Polo-playing Westing student brushing his teeth in one of our bathrooms, and I have to say, you’re exactly like I pictured him, right down to both your chest hairs.”

This was a very strange story, and I had real problems trying to work out what was actually going on. The story jumped back and forth thro
Alexa
Mar 23, 2016 rated it it was ok

This was my face when I started this book. I don't know how I didn't realize this was going to focus on a group of kids segregated from the outside world because of a "new" virus called PPV, Peter Pan Virus. I'm not going to elaborate on the virus because the synopsis covers what PPV is, which is a mystery how I missed that this book would be about a fictional virus.

I thought this was going to be more of a contemporary but I was wrong. Not that this has anything to do with my rating. This is bei
Online Eccentric Librarian
Jan 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing

More reviews (and no fluff) on the blog http://surrealtalvi.wordpress.com/

Away We Go is a meditative piece exploring belonging, society, love, friendship, and the pursuit of a meaningful life. At the same time, there are some interesting statements (almost satirical) about the currently popular YA dystopian genre (of which, they may or may not be a part). Those looking for action,adventure, or a straightforward story will likely be left scratching their heads by the end. But this infinitely qu
Stephanie (Reading is Better With Cupcakes)
This book...this book...

Oh this review...

It is going to be hard to write this one. I know it is. I finished reading this book at least a month ago. And ever since then, I have been thinking about how I need to write this review and knowing when this review needs to go up on my blog.

The problem though is, I don't really know how to explain this book and my thoughts about it. The reason being is that my feelings on this one are pretty mixed.

On one hand, there were parts of it that blew my mind, bu
Tee loves Kyle Jacobson
First I have to start out by saying I liked this book but I didn't like some parts to it. I have read a lot of books this year but this one stands out in so many ways both good and bad. The setting is in a Boarding School for kids. What these kids are allowed to do and how they are allowed to act was a little strange for me when I was reading. The one thing that stood out for me was one of the main characters had some issues and he dealt with them as being simple.

In this story we meet best frien
Elsa Qazi
5 STARS FOR BREAKING MY HEART

i don't know what to say. my heart is done for. it is just done for. it is finished. so many feeelllllllssssssssss. ughhhh. i am clearly not the right person to write a review that is sensible about this book so i'm just going to say this is the best and everyone should read it.

Eriele the Mermaid ❤
Jan 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
(Originally posted at This Is Not Your Book Blog.)

I received an ARC from HarperCollins in exchange for an honest review (thank you!).

Okay. So here we go. I will try my best not to spoil anything at all. Some spoilers, realizations, and questions will be posted at awayweread (a blog I made for the book mehehehe).

How do I even start describing this wonderful book?

It`s just the first book I`ve read since 2016 started (yeah, I made a pretty good choice about it), but I can already say this is one of
Charlie
Nov 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stars
Away We Go by Emil Ostrovski

I did not expect a dark contemporary, but that is what I got. The synopsis makes you think it's going to be a love story between two guys who are supposed to die. It's not. This was something else. Most of the book was exactly what I expected it to be, but it kind of wasn't. The way it was written made me think of Benjamin Alire Sáenz who is my favourite author ever. That poetic writing style that I love came back in this book by an entirely different author. That was not what I expected. I nev
Brandi Kosiner (Brandi Breathes Books)

I have done this several times on my blog. Books that just don't work for me. I know my reading style pretty well, and I can tell whether I will like the book or not accurately about 80-90% of the time. If I finish a book, then there are aspects of that book that I enjoyed. I never talk about the author in a negative way, I only say what doesn't work for me. Normally if I finish a book, I give it at least 3 stars, meaning that I liked it.

Stopped at 11%
I wanted to read away we go because I lik
Molly
Jun 23, 2015 rated it it was ok
2.5 stars? Maybe? I'm torn. This book was exactly like Extraordinary Means. And it was boring half the time. I liked some of the characters and the writing was pretty good. But for such a short book I found myself losing focus fast. I also don't really like this new BOLD USE OF NON-WRITING in books. It worked with Illuminae, I get it. It doesn't work with books like this. I didn't care at all about the fliers or the game states or whatever that were in this book (half the time they didn't even m ...more
Emily
Mar 20, 2016 rated it did not like it
I didn’t finish Away We Go. I just couldn’t do it. I wanted to read it because it seemed similar to Extraordinary Means by Robyn Schneider. Unfortunately, Away We Go was not well-written or unique enough for me. I decided life was too short to finish this book when it had completely lost me. The characters weren’t developed enough, and I really didn’t care about the main character at all. I was so disappointed.
BookChic Club
Feb 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Really interesting, smart, emotional book. I also really liked the gay MC angle, which I didn't know about when I first started the book so it was a nice surprise.
Lauren R.
DNF page 135 | Nope. I can't focus on this for the life of me and just don't get it. I can't figure out if the time is bouncing around or not and frankly it's making me feel kind of stupid. I don't understand or like the characters, or really get the point of the book. Maybe I stopped just short of where the "action" starts. I don't know. But I'm not going to bother finishing this book if I don't care what happens.

---------------

The premise behind this one had me interested right off the bat...
Corey
Jan 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Book Talk:
Not only has most of the nation's teenagers been struck by a deadly, contagious disease and relegated to hospices, there is a meteor on a collision course with Earth. Noah Falls must figure out what to do with the short time left to him (whether he dies by disease or comet).

My Thoughts:
What a strange book. The premise intrigued me from the start (I am a glutton for dystopia), but it really failed to deliver. There was too much movement in perspective for me to follow along. I couldn't
Fay
Away We Go is many things. It’s a story about friendship, a story about love. A story about holding on, a story about giving up. Away We Go didn’t make me cry. But it made me believe in hope more than ever. And that’s why it stuck to me.

Full review on my book blog: http://wp.me/p4gfJt-v3 (Will be up on February 2!)
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Amount read: around 15%

This is just too weird for me. Plus, I have no sense of who any of the characters are. I do think it seems like an excellent book if you're more into speculative fiction for its own sake (I am always into fiction for characterization's sake).
Beth Baryon
Oct 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: voya-reviews
Beautifully tragic. A keeper.
Louisa
Jan 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a fantastic book! Sad, and heartbreaking, and weird and crazy, and so enjoyable!
Cait S
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I do not know who I was before I read this book. How it hasn't been hyped as a fucking YA masterpiece is beyond me. How it hasn't been read by every person on my friends list who reads YA is beyond me. This is everything and more. It's beautiful and I have been completely and utterly decimated in the face of it.

Dear Emil Ostrovski,

Your words are beautiful. I am better for reading them. Never, ever, ever do anything but write exactly the way you write because it's more than anything else could b
percabethwilllive
Aug 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: screaming-books

I don’t really like this blurb. It makes it look lighthearted and more middle grade than YA. It’s a bit like advertising The Outsiders as an adventure novel that fits into the same genre as Cherub, which would be a disgrace. I have strong views about those two novels. The former I love, and the latter I have many moral problems with. I once liked it. Then I grew up. How ever, Away We Go is (smile of relief) not CHERUB. It is the outsiders. (This is where you go run to bookstore and buy it becaus
Ellen
May 26, 2016 rated it did not like it
So, clearly, this was heavily influenced by John Green. The author rated TFIOS, Looking for Alaska, and Will Grayson highly (five, four, and four stars, respectively), and this book really felt like "What if we took everything from LfA and made them dying, like in TFIOS, with a side of gay, like in WG?"

Why it was like Looking for Alaska

1) Like in LfA, the students are in a fancy boarding school. They apparently go to (at least some) classes, but really, who cares? They don't.

2) Marty's obsession
Kelly Hager
I absolutely loved the premise of this novel, although I was pretty sure it was going to break my heart. It was occasionally hard to follow (the timeline jumps all over the place, although they do let you know when that happens) and it took me a few chapters to get into it, but these are minor quibbles.

I also love the way that the book also has memos and things interspersed among some chapters. It made the world feel so much more realistic. I love whenever things like that happen, because it's s
Danielle Zimmerman
Feb 09, 2016 rated it it was ok
I don't think this book is for me. While the premise is interesting, there's no clear driving force in this book. Relationships between characters seem fake and fragile. The book doesn't even explore the premise it sets up. I understand what this book was going for and I'm usually a fan of character pieces, but I just didn't enjoy it like I thought I would.

**I received and read an uncorrected ARC of this book.**
Paula
Feb 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtqia
Rating: 3.5 stars
Half a star more because of all the beautiful writing and nihilism.
Bickering Book Reviews
Apr 28, 2017 rated it did not like it
For a more in-depth review watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDQPw...

This book just felt like a mess. There was no character development and the plot was convoluted. It was a struggle to finish this book and it was not worth the effort.

Kelly Gunderman
Check out this and other reviews on my young adult book blog, Here's to Happy Endings!

I was originally drawn to this book due to the synopsis – it sounded a lot like the kind of book I’d absolutely love (kind of a dystopian/contemporary combo, with some realistic elements thrown in that kind of remind me of books like Extraordinary Means by Robyn Schneider). So I was so thrilled when I got the chance to read it.

Truthfully, this was a sad story. I think it was supposed to be a story of hope, but
Mary
Originally Published On Books In Her Head

I probably should begin with just the fact that this is my first time in a couple years reading an e-ARC and it most certainly took me a little while to readjust to the experience. When I participate in blog tours I try and make myself as flexible as possible for both the organizer and the publisher. That being said, I’m just more of a paper book person, but reading this e-ARC was not bad AT ALL (surprisingly).

I first found out about Away We Go via the to
Quinn
Dec 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
enlightening, sad, brilliant. this book got me questioning whether the things i believe in are really worth believing in.

SPOILER ALERT!!!
what the heck i can't believe marty got shot and zach killed himself and alex didn't send him a message even once and juan is gone and soon alice will be too, and noah is looking up at the stars and lighting up fireworks and believing he's peter pan and all the world's a stage while his skin is peeling off and there's skittles on the ground and the world is not
Edwin Howard
Jan 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
AWAY WE GO by Emil Ostrovski is the story of a school that houses teenagers afflicted with a disease (called PPV, or Peter Pan Virus) that slowly kills them within a few years. The school, Westing, is for the most gifted of the afflicted teens, and strives to provide the talented young adults with a normal, vibrant and intellectually stimulating environment during their slow physical demise. We see all of this through Noah, who is struggling not just with the disease, but with his own individua ...more
Ari
Apr 19, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya-mm-lgbt
Pretentious & pointless.

I don't understand why some readers tagged this book with dystophia, because if anything this is just a dark-contemporer story for me. The deadly peter pan virus was just a weak plot device. Exchange that with other fatal illness, there you have contemporary story. The restriction, the institution... we all have that in contemporary world. Weak because we never know how this virus affected the society other than those who infected with the virus goes to institution to
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Word for Yes
  • Jess, Chunk, and the Road Trip to Infinity
  • Frannie and Tru
  • Scars Run Deep
  • Marco Impossible
  • The Eyes of the Desert Sand (Chrysalis Chronicles #1)
  • Don't Ever Change
  • True Letters from a Fictional Life
  • DeadEndia: The Watcher's Test
  • Memento Mori
  • No Holding Back
  • The Family Fletcher Takes Rock Island (Family Fletcher, #2)
  • An Army of Frogs (Kulipari #1)
  • What We Saw
The Paradox of Vertical Flight is my debut novel. It will be released in English in 2013, and in Spanish and German at a later date.