Start by marking “Shadow of Flame (Dragonsworn, #2)” as Want to Read:
Shadow of Flame (Dragonsworn, #2)

Shadow of Flame

(Dragonsworn #2)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  257 ratings  ·  43 reviews
It's been two months since Kai Monahan's life changed forever. Retrieved from a suddenly unsafe Colorado by Rhys and taken to Eryri, the dragons' home in the South Pacific, she lives a secret existence. Rhys—for all his awe-inspiring power—is afraid to reveal to his people that he's heartsworn to a human. One he's quite possibly in love with.

Kai hasn't forgotten the terror
Published September 14th 2015 by Carina Press

To ask other readers questions about Shadow of Flame, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shadow of Flame

really liked it 4.00  ·

Carol [Goodreads Addict]
Shadow of Flame is book two in the Dragonsworn series by Caitlyn McFarland. This book was generously provided to me in exchange for an honest review by NetGalley, Carina Press and Caitlyn McFarland.

red dragon: red dragon

First, let me just say that I just this minute finished this book. My heart rate is probably triple time right now. My emotions are swirling and I’m a mess. Yes, Ms. McFarland, you did this to me. And I love it!

Woman and red dragon.: Woman and red dragon.

The book starts out about six weeks after the previous one left off. Kai is at home in Col
Vippi
~Thanks Netgalley for providing a review copy in exchange for my honest review~

Actual rating: 2.75 stars

I have mixed feeling towards this book. Although I appreciated the overall plot and rooted for some characters (aka Cadoc, he remains my fav), it was not as good as Soul of Smoke and I didn't get completely into the story.
There were some good twists (view spoiler), but I saw too many flaws as well:
• for most of the story Kai remained
Erin
Aug 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I feel so lucky to have gotten an early copy of this book! I loved the first one, but I DIED over the second. The pacing picks up so much and the romance is so swoon.

Kai is strong and funny and Rhys just pulls on my heartstrings. This is a must read! I love this series. Seriously LOVE IT! You must read this.
The Gypsy Emmy

My Review :

**** 4 STARS ****

I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for a honest review.

Let me first start off by saying, I did not want to read this book. I only realised after I requested it that I had read the first book and hated it. That being said, I have found that life is filled with happy coincidences.

Oh holy smokes, I swear that this book feels like it isn't even written by the same author. It is so much better than the first one, I just can't even believe it.

The
Beyond the Pages
Sep 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Initial reaction at book's conclusion: "No!!!"

After: Wow! Talk about action, suspense, drama, and fantasy, this story had it all. It was a super fast gut punch from beginning to end. My mind was spinning by the time I saw what was really at play.

I loved the characters. Rhys and Kai had something special, but my heart was and is all set for Cadoc and Seren to finally touch. It's inevitable. Please! And that weird, crazy love triangle, I need to understand it. I have tons of questions that need a
Rachel
Aug 31, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015-2016-read
So, while the faults here are pretty similar to Soul of Smoke, this gets much less leeway from me. And that's because this is the second book of a series, when shit needs to get serious and complex and as twisted as a pretzel. McFarland didn't really get there.

That's not to say that the plot doesn't mature. It does, quite a bit, and there are enough twists on paper to satisfy its fantasy heritage.

The problem is in the planning - the hints, the subtle nudges, the confusing glimpse of shadow befor
Vesper Vesper
Aug 25, 2015 rated it really liked it

It's been two freaking months of a wait for this book, damn it. I was so happy to have seen this on NetGalley, and I nearly jumped out of my chair and squealed with glee (I would have if I wasn't at work). As the second installment in Dragonsworn, Shadow of Flame definitely does not disappoint. I have a thing with sequels, as they tend to not be as good as the first. Though, with that said, it still wasn't, but came very close to being just as good.

Much like Soul of Smoke, everything flowed ver
Kimberly VanderHorst
Sep 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I am really, really good at guessing plotlines. I'm the one who knows who the murderer is before anyone else. I know how the book is going to end before I even get to the middle. It is SUPER hard to surprise me. And McFarland did so time and time again. Though the story has a steady, building pace, I was in suspense nearly every moment. And I LOVED it.

I also loved the richly detailed world-building, the gorgeous descriptions that pulled me deep into the characters' points of view, and the fact t
Priscila
Oct 26, 2015 rated it liked it
I received this ebook in exchange for my honest review.

Shadow and Flame picks up a couple of months after Soul and Smoke left off, when Rhys returns for Kai and brings her home, tensions run high. The dragons aren't likely to accept their king being heartsworn to a human, with a traitor in their mists things aren't going well for our couple.

I enjoyed this one just as much as the first.

Happy Reading!
Hope Sloper
Let me start by saying, I saw all the reasons this book would do well as a fantasy series. While I didn’t read the first in the series, I had no trouble following along. It’s a very quick, easy read. The dragons and all the intrigue is what kept me going in this book. I loved the dynamic of the world. There are loads of exciting turn of events.

Read full review at: http://wordgurgle.blogspot.com/2015/0...
*Lily's*
**I would like to thank Netgalley, Carina Press and the author Caitlyn McFarland for a free digital copy of this book in exchange for my honest opinion**

There might be some light spoilers.

Shadow of Flame is the sequel in Caitlyn McFarland Dragonsworn trilogy. It starts off a month after Soul of Smoke ended. Kai and Rhys are spending time away from each other. Kai is trying to be with her family as much as she can before she'll have to go to Eryri. Meanwhile Rhys wants to find the right time t
Robin
Sep 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: paranormal-rom
This second novel of McFarland's trilogy continued to evoke the same mixed emotions as the first, not being particularly drawn to the central couple Rhys and Cai, but being compelled by the dangers and crisis of the dragon war and a people divided, as well as drawn in by a supporting cast of characters I cared about, particularly Cadoc, Seren, Juli and Ashem. The world of dragon society McFarland creates is complex and nuanced. But she never lets the reader up for air, things going wrong a const ...more
Freda
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Exciting middle book, keeps up the suspense! The second book of this trilogy continues with the development of the main and secondary characters, as well as the powers the human half of a couple, known as "Wingless" brings to the table. It leaves our lead characters in a terrible place, so you want to get the last book and read it immediately!
Sara
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
I read this because it was there and I didn’t feel like going to sleep, kind of the way I might eat a crappy supermarket cupcake because it was there and I wanted some chocolate. It was not the best thing I’ve ever read, though it was somewhat entertaining.
Alison
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The tension keeps up through this middle book of the trilogy. Such an addictive read, you never quite know who is going to be the next victim to the authors ‘kill her darlings’ attitude. All I can say is #teamcadoc all the way!
Mermaid O'Rorey Blue
😍😍😍

I never liked dragons untill I read this trilogy. It is so visual and heart gripping! Now to start book three...
Sonja
Jun 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Ugh, that ending! When I read that last word, I couldn't help but think 'That can't be the end!'
The ending of this book was definitely the best part. For too much of the book I was actually getting super frustrated with Kai and how immature she was being about everything. Yes, okay, so she has trust issues with Rhys over what he did in the previous book. But she got over it, she said as much. So her reasons just become petty little things about not wanting to know the truth or to have him see wh
Alicja P
Jul 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Review originally found on Novels all Night

Two months ago Kai Monahan’s life changed forever when she was thrust into the world of dragons…Rhy’s world. For two months since becoming heartsworn to Rhys, Kai has been trying to resume her life in Colorado without any contact with him. When it suddenly becomes unsafe for her to remain in Colorado she finally goes with Rhys to Eryri, the dragons’ home. Even there Kai remains a secret from everyone except for their small circle of trusted friends beca
Deborah
Jul 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jd-read, amazon-done, pnr

Shadow of Flame is book two in the Dragonsworn trilogy by Caitlyn McFarland. It takes place a little over a month from where book one left off. We catch up to Kai back home and working for a gym as a climbing instructor. Julie and Ashem are living with her. She is a miserable mess being without Rhys and it's not getting any better. She's been trying to sort through all her feelings and get her affairs in order. She knows she will leave for Eryri, the dragon's home, at some point. Rhys eventually
Kayla
DISCLAIMER: if you haven't read Soul of Smoke, you might want to skip this review because I will likely include spoilers for it!

I thoroughly enjoyed the first Dragonsworn book and thus had high expectations for this one too, and Caitlyn McFarland did not disappoint! I'm not going to go into a plot summary because that's what the blurb's for, so I'll just talk about my feelings.

I adore Kai and Rhys, especially together. It really tugged at my heartstrings to see the angst they go through because
Dísir
Kai Monahan's and Juliet King's lives have changed irrevocably in two months. The brief respite in Colorado vanishes quickly when instability in the dragon world starts to spill over into the human one with Kai and Juliet caught in the middle of it. And that's probably as much as I can talk about the book without getting bogged down by the number of details in this one.

I dove straight Shadow of Flame, eager and impatient to continue the saga that began in Soul of Smoke, only to get quite a bit
Star Bookworm
Sep 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
The angsty transition into adulthood tones down to a much more tollereable level this time around without losing pacing and interest. We have the development of Rhys and Kai along with the pressures of life in a monarchy. There is intrigue as the gang tries to hunt down a spy. There is heart pumping action with skirmishes, treasure hunts, curses, and suppressed love. I can even say that a couple points of the plot managed to swing out of nowhere. McFarland makes statements towards the obvious su ...more
Claire
This review was originally posted on: BrizzleLass Books.

Caitlyn McFarland has created an intricate world here where dragons are fighting extinction and each other. She has utilised the many different fables, myths, and legends about dragons from around our world to build something strong, vast, and believable.

This is the second book in the Dragonsworn trilogy and continues the story in spectacular fashion. Such imagination has been shown in creating this world combining dragon-lore with magic, w
Allison

After spending two months apart, everything seems to comes crashing down on Rhys and Kai. Kai is struggling with controlling her powers, Serena has gone missing, Cadoc is still AWOL trying to break his curse, and Owain become heartsworn.

Will they ever be able to get a handle on things or will they lose the battle once and for all?

Ahhh!! Cliff hanger!!
So I love these dragons and am about to scream because you CAN'T just end a book like that.. I mean seriously?!?!? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? (YES I AM
Deedee
Sep 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
An ARC from netgalley for an honest review.

Okay this book was amazing. It was everything I thought it would be and more especially after reading the first. This ha you going from “okay we good“ to “omg!! what?! no!!“ it was just a good action packed read.

Story, Description from back of book:

Billie
Oct 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am pleased to report that I can give "Shadow of Flame" a 5-star rating in good conscience. This 2nd installment of the Dragonworn trilogy has shadows of the problems that I have with the first installment, but definitely to a lesser degree. Kai is still annoying, though less with obnoxious immaturity and more with just really unpalatable naivete. There were still way more typoes/grammar errors than there should be if the book's editor was worth a damn. Less carabiner nonsense after the first f ...more
Angel Hatfield
Mar 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Kai is home in Colorado working at a gym as a climbing instructor. She is also with her family but she desperately misses Rhys but needs this time. But then Rhys hears Kai is in danger and he decides it is time to take her to his home. But the elders would not be pleased to hear about Rhys and Kai as she is human and Rhys is a dragon. Also Rhys is king back at his home. As well as the fact there is a war coming and Rhys is being betrayed. Then a spy sets Kai up and all find out she is human and ...more
El
Sep 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Rating: 4 out of 5

* I was given an advanced copy of this book in exchange for a fair and honest review. *

Three-quarters through this book I was literally alternating between flapping my hands around and covering my eyes, because I couldn't bear to see what happened next... and at the same time I HAD to know what happened next. "Shadow of Flame" was a fantastic read, with an absolutely gripping plot and some much-anticipated character developments. I think the expectation in a trilogy is that the
Anne Monteith
I love the dynamics and the world building and that is what kept me reading. Unfortunately Kai is just as annoying as before; she immature, dumb as a rock and whiny, which makes her hard to like or root for. It must be contagious because Juli is starting to display similar traits. Even is this is aimed for the YA audience, I don’t think they will find the female characters in this book appealing. Is it too much to hope that the third book will show these characters maturing and gaining some comm ...more
Tina
This second book in the trilogy was much better than the first one! I actually started to like the main characters and the story itself was more interesting, although the reporter got on my nerves. There are a lot of characters to keep track of, and the conflicts between the various dragon factions gets confusing at times, but overall everything made sense. The ending was very abrupt, which I found disconcerting, but this is a trilogy so you know there is another book coming which will (hopefull ...more

• Ignited (Unclaimed, #2)
  • Dark Rising (Archangel Prophecies #2)
  • Unearthed (The Heights, #2)
  • Tied (Fire Born, #1)
  • Reluctant Prince (Kingdom of Cymmera #1)
  • Captain Durant's Countess (The London List, #2)
  • Don't Lie to Me (Bad for You, #3)
  • Betrothed
  • Honorable Intentions (The Landis Brothers #5; Wingmen Warriors #15; Landis/Renshaw)
  • Blade on the Hunt (Goddess With A Blade, #3)
  • Return of the Ascendant (Ascendant, #1)
  • Cracking the Dating Code (The Wests, #2)
  • Sentinel (Dark Season, #2)
  • Primal Temptation (Pendragon Gargoyles #4)
  • Telltale Kisses (Blood and Snow, #8)
  • Grimm Consequences (Transplanted Tales, #1.5)
  • Darkest Caress (Empowered, #1)
  • Kindred of the Fallen (Kindred Chronicles, #1)
Originally from the Midwest, Caitlyn McFarland currently lives in Utah with her husband and three young daughters. She has a Bachelor’s degree in linguistics from Brigham Young University. When she’s not writing about dragons or running around after her daughters, she can be found hunched over a sewing machine making elaborate princess costumes. Caitlyn is represented by Marlene Stringer of String ...more

Dragonsworn (3 books)
  • Soul of Smoke (Dragonsworn, #1)
  • Truth of Embers (Dragonsworn, #3)
“Cadoc sighed. “Someday, chief, I’ll avenge your sense of humor. I don’t know who murdered it, but it died before its time.” 2 likes