Start by marking “The Shepherd and the Solicitor” as Want to Read:
The Shepherd and the Solicitor

The Shepherd and the Solicitor

When a storm is brewing, taking shelter could be the most dangerous move of all.

One careless, public sign of affection cost Daniel Pierce’s lover his life at the hands of a hate-filled mob. Grief-stricken, Daniel retreated from society to a sheep farm in the wilds of the north. Years later, Gregory Tobin erupts into his solitary life.

Sent to confirm the existence—or the

Published September 29th 2015 by Samhain Publishing, Ltd.

To ask other readers questions about The Shepherd and the Solicitor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shepherd and the Solicitor

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
~4.5~

This book is set in 1883 England, post-Victorian era, and begins with a jarring prologue that explains why aristocratic, polite, London-bred Daniel Pierce is now a sheep-herding, bitter recluse in Yorkshire.

Daniel goes by the name Jacob Bennet and has only his sheep and dogs for company. He shuns the town people and only grudgingly welcomes the ginger-haired, spunky, loquacious Gregory Tobin into his house.

But Gregory, a solicitor, is determined to find the lost heir and drag Daniel back t
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
*3.5 stars*

Typical good quality historical romance from the duo of Bonnie Dee and Summer Devon.

Whenever I see these two author's names together, I don't hesitate, I just BUY. I swear, these authors have one heck of a mind meld! They smush their thoughts together and out comes some of the most consistent and well conceived historical M/Ms in publication. This story was no different, but though it was very pleasant reading, I also thought it was just a touch on the dull side, just enough that I d
Ele
*4.5 stars*

This was my first book from these authors but I can assure you it won't be the last. Set in the post Victorian era, back in the day when homosexuality was considered sodomy , this is the story of Daniel and Gregory.

The start of this book is like a punch to the gut. We become witnesses of a crime, a gay bashing we would call it today, that ended with the death of Jacob Phillips, Daniel's lover.

After that, Daniel Pierce changes his name to Jacob Bennet and retreats to the countryside w
Ami
I want to take it slow with you, ease your sorrow and remind you of all the good things we live for...

The book opened in a gut-punching way -- as aristocratic Daniel Pierce woke up in the dark four years after the event that broke his link to humanity; the event that made him leave London and emerged up north as reclusive shepherd Jacob Bennet. He lives his solitude life with his sheep and ewes and dogs. Until a solicitor from London, Gregory Tobin, manages to track him in attempt to find th
Kade Boehme
Jul 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Fabulous fabulous fabulous. I really am serious when I say this is my favorite writing team. They absolutely always blow me away.
Tess
Shelves: historical-mm

This was an enjoyable and heartwarming historical romance. Daniel is a man hiding from his past, enjoying the solitude and hard work of a shepherd's life in Yorkshire. Gregory is the solicitor sent to find 'the lost heir' to his client's business, who he quickly discovers is Daniel. Gregory ends up staying with Daniel to try and find a way to persuade him to return and claim his birthright.

I liked that there were no silly plot devices like misunderstandings or weird twists, it was jus
Ann
These authors write my favorite flavor of historical romances. This one is quiet and subtle with beautiful language that told the story perfectly.
Veronica of V's Reads
This is a historical M/M romance about a reclusive sheep farmer, who may be a missing heir, and the solicitor who's tasked with the job of finding him. It is set in 1880's England.

Daniel Pierce saw his lover, Jacob, murdered by a mob when Jacob made one slight romantic overture in public. That was three years ago. Since then he fled London and changed his name. Jacob Bennet is a sheep farmer, and a recluse. He's worked hard to hide himself away, but he's not put his past away--only buried it un
Diverse
Oct 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I’m not usually one for historicals but since reading The Tutor by Bonnie Dee I decided to give them a better chance. The Shepherd & The Solicitor is set in 1883 England and from the very beginning I knew I was going to love it.
First off Daniel aka Jacob Bennet the recluse angry man, as I referred to him as, is super intriguing! As you can tell by the 2 names, he’s not in any rush to be pushed back into the real world. But you see Gregory the ginger firecracker man, the solicitor, is quite
Pjm12
Oct 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Historical romance revolving around a man hiding from his past, and the tenacious lawyer seeking him out. I loved Gregory's open and honest manner, and his clumsy but sincere attempts to win over the grumpy, secretive Daniel/Jacob.

The closeness of their quarters while sitting out a storm, or lambing in a enclosed barn, make for nicely-built sexual tension. Their not-so-secret lustful glances keep the anticipation rising, and their inevitable coming together is sexy and gratifying, for the boys a
Jacki
Sep 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this in exchange for an honest review of Wicked Reads.

This was a great read for me. I hadn't known what to expect from this M/M historical romance, but I was pleasantly surprised. I really enjoyed how the author brought the problem of historical homophobia to light and used it to create emotional depth within the story. The chemistry between the main characters kept me reading right until the end. One strong, serious man and his balanced gentle, playful mate made for a well
Shannon
Sep 12, 2015 rated it liked it
I liked this book but didn't love it. And I don't know why. I found it way to easy to set my kindle aside and do other things. I adored the way Tobin was with the animals and Daniel's grumpiness was fun to see. They had some lovely smexing and seemed good for each other. Maybe I didn't connect much because it all happened in a few days and it felt like a "Oh you're gay and I'm gay and there's no one else around so let's do each other" type of thing.
Secretly Reading
Shelves: mm, historical, 2015-reads
Full review closer to release time but a very enjoyable historical gay romance with plenty of heat and heart.
Tam
Mar 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, historicals
Daniel/Jacob was so delightfully surly and Tobin was so delightfully purposely obtuse. He just simply ignored the surliness and went on about his merry way asking questions and refusing to skedaddle. Okay, a few time I thought the griminess of the whole thing was a bit overwhelming, but on the whole an enjoyable read especially if you like historicals and have an interest in sheep birthin'. :-)
Joyfully Jay
Sep 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jay
A Joyfully Jay review.

The Shepherd and the Solicitor is a really engaging story that had me from the very start. I loved the set up with the open, full of life Tobin on the hunt for this mysterious heir, matched up with this hurting, reserved man in Bennet. We can really feel Bennet’s pain as he continues to be haunted by the murder of his lover and the fact that he could not share with anyone the real reason the death was so devastating. Instead, Bennet just ran as far as he could go,
Melanie
Jul 25, 2015 rated it really liked it

A Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words.com review
Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars

For the full review, visit http://wp.me/p220KL-5Eq

From that review: "In The Shepherd and the Solicitor, authors Summer Devon and Bonnie Dee effortlessly bring 1883 Yorkshire to life, allowing their readers to sink into many levels of society and culture of that age through their novel and characters. A lover of historic fiction, especially historic romance, that blurb attracted me with its wounded withdrawn main character a
Heather
Oct 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Another great historical from Dee & Devon. Watching Gregory's job turn from a typical search and locate to heat and rescue, at least in his mind, is thrilling and heart pounding. Seeing Daniel/Jacob run from his past and create a new solitary life for himself is heartbreaking but encouraging. Together they find an unexpected, perhaps unwanted on Daniel's part, alliance over the births of Daniel's lambs and pups. But will it be enough? For that you will have to read The Shepherd and the Solic ...more
Maria
May 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
I liked how the authors were able to make it all work without turning farcical. Hidden desires kept hidden. Not for propriety but when your life depends on it.

The romance was exceptional. The steam very hot.

Some jumping around from one character’s thoughts to another which mixed with the flow.

I’m not a huge fan of historical but these authors are a cut above and I plan on reading more, if not all, of their work.
Viv
Jan 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-lendable
It's no secret that I love Dee/Devon books. This was another great historical MM romance. It had a nice HEA appropriate for the time period. The only thing I didn't like was the abrupt head hopping with no page breaks.
Misty
Jun 12, 2015 rated it really liked it

** 4.5 Stars **

Another very engaging story. I felt the undeniable chemistry between the two MC's and the very palpable sexual tension. Great read!
Maura
Karla
Jul 22, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars

This was enjoyable and a sweet read. I really like historical romance and the authors can be depended upon to deliver a good story that rings true to the time. The writing was solid and I appreciated the ending. I feared that Tobin would pressure Bennett to return to London to assume his duties but I loved how he respectfully left all the choices up to Bennett.
R E
May 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A sweet, straight forward M/M romance

While Summer Devon has written books with more interesting plots (see her m/m historical detective series), and while the Devon/Dee team has written better books (see The Professor and the Smuggler), this novel is entertaining, sweet, and features baby sheep, pregnant dogs, and grumpy horses - what could be better?
Danielle
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very sweet story, a little sad, light on the steamy scenes. I will definitely read more of this author.
nisie draws
Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
This felt like gay romance by numbers, the characters didn't really stand out and the romance felt forced
Stevie Carroll
Sep 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Previously reviewed on The Good, The Bad, and The Unread:

In the early part of my university career, I delivered a lot of lambs; while most of my classmates went to farms with a few hundred sheep in total, I worked on an estate with 1,500 ewes – and that was just the lowland flock. I’ve also been a keen visitor to social history museums all my life. A book with a hero involved in Victorian sheep farming is either going to be right up my street or a very frustrating read for me. This one delivered
Jess
I thoroughly enjoyed Bonnie Dee and Summer Devon's The Gentleman and the Rogue when I read it earlier this year. It was a succinct, scorching historical romance with a tight plot and great character voices.

Now this book wasn't bad, not at all. But it fell much flatter than I expected and the characters' romance just never buried itself into my heart like I wanted it to.

There's a lot of angst to unpack right at the start. We learn quickly that Daniel Pierce was once a man of high society, but af
Daniel Mitton
Oct 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
4.5 out of 5.0 stars

What a delightful period piece. I’ve never been a huge fan of historical romance, but after reading books from both authors recently that I really liked, I decided to give this one a shot.

Set in the late 1800’s in England, “The Shepherd and the Solicitor” tells the story of a man named Daniel Pierce. Daniel is the son a wealthy manufacturing family, and the chosen heir of his grandfather to own and run the entire business. Daniel isn’t that keen on that idea though.

At the sam
Book Gannet
Whenever I see the names Bonnie Dee and Summer Devon I know what I’m getting – a M/M Victorian romance that wraps up the troubled views of the time with emotional romance. This book is no exception, though it adds in Yorkshire and sheep. Lots of sheep.

Those last two things might affect your enjoyment of this tale, but I loved the descriptions of Pierce/Bennet’s life in the north. How he’d created a whole other existence for himself so very different to everything he’d known before. I loved the d
Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews
Leigh's review posted at Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews

This story was a beautifully written Victorian piece that was truly character driven by two men that made for an interesting combination. On the face, it appeared that they could not be more opposite. Daniel/Jacob was introverted and quiet. A man of few words, who lived a solitary existence on the wild hills of the rural English countryside, he was brusque and unrefined despite his privileged upbringing.

Gregory, on the other hand, was chatty

• The Bohemian and the Banker
  • Dark Economy
  • A Minor Inconvenience
  • A King Undone (Noble Pleasures #1)
  • Mere Mortals
  • Unnatural (Enlightenment, #4)
  • Fortune Hunter (Brook Street, #2)
  • The Desire for Dearborne
  • The Duke in Denial (Scandal in Sussex, #1)
  • A Private Miscellany (Society of Gentlemen #3.5)
  • Promises Made Under Fire
  • Trick of Time
  • A Private Gentleman
Summer Devon is the pen name writer Kate Rothwell often uses. Whether the characters are male or female, human or dragon, her books are always romance.

You can visit her facebook page, where there's a sign up form for a newsletter (she'll only send out newsletters when there's a new Summer Devon or Kate Rothwell release and she will never ever sell your name to anyone).

Her blog is available her