Start by marking “The Star of New Mexico (InCryptid #0.14)” as Want to Read:
The Star of New Mexico (InCryptid #0.14)

The Star of New Mexico

(InCryptid #0.14)

Almost twenty years ago, Jonathan Healy rode a train across the country to investigate reports that something was killing people in the wake of a small family circus. Almost twenty years ago, he brought home the woman who would be his wife, the mother of his children, and his partner in the endless quest to protect the cryptids of the world. The time has come for Fabulous ...more
Published June 5th 2015

To ask other readers questions about The Star of New Mexico, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Star of New Mexico

A Passage to India by E.M. ForsterMurder in Mesopotamia by Agatha ChristieHamlet, Prince of Denmark by William ShakespeareJamaica Inn by Daphne du MaurierCongo by Michael Crichton
Countries
474 books — 174 voters
Hawaii by James A. MichenerA Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court by Mark TwainAlaska by James A. MichenerWinesburg, Ohio by Sherwood AndersonOhio by Stephen Markley
States
323 books — 22 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of The Star of New Mexico (InCryptid #0.14)
Robin (Bridge Four)
description

14 pages that tore my heart out, threw it on the ground and then tap danced on it. I didn't know I could cry so much over 14 pages.

I will miss you Fran. I thought I had one more to go before we got here but we didn't. My biggest fear is losing the love of my life and so it was so hard to be with Johnny and Alice when they lost theirs.

Yes I know this is the same review I posted for InCryptid #0.13 but the crying and devastation continues and I can't think of anything else to say right now.
Oct 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
This story was absolutely heart wrenching, I sobbed from beginning to end and I'm tearing up again just thinking about it. I can't believe how invested I became in these characters over the space of 14 short stories, we've probably spent less time with them than we do in most characters in a single book but I just fell in love with them both and watching Jonathan try to cope with Fran's death is heartbreaking.

This story focuses on Fran's funeral and it shows just how many lives Fran and Jonathan
Susana

Bring out the tissues.
You'll need them.
Steven
Dec 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Sad to see the Jonathan and Frances stories come to an end.

I'm pretty sure that Frances is my favorite character in the Incryptid world.
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
Frances Healy's funeral. I started crying in Broken Paper Hearts and continued all through this one. The whole Carnival was there, and finfolk, gorgons and so many others.

I knew I wasn't reading about immortals but I wasn't ready for this. Now, even if the author writes another Jonathan and Fran's adventure, it wouldn't feel the same. I just hope there will be one where Jonathan, Enid and Alex find the monster that killed her.
Even though nothing happens regarding monsters, there are so many smal
Maria Dimitrova
Jan 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
The last Jonathan and Fran story. In a way it's the end of an era. And even if it was a happier stry it would have still been hard for me to read and part with this couple.

This story just radiated pain. It was like a physical thing, the kind that leaves you struggling for breath. In just a few pages SM managed to present the reader with all the pain and sorrow the characters left seemingly without effort.

Lately I seem to be crying a lot while reading her works. And I love that her writing can i
Ivy
Sep 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
RIP Fran. Glad everyone was able to come to Fran's funeral. Also glad to see Fran one last time.
Kathy Davie
Jul 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: urban-fantasy
It's a free short story from Seanan McGuire, 0.14 in the InCryptid urban fantasy series, and revolving around a family of renegade "monster hunters" mourning the loss of someone much loved.

If you're interested, there is a chronological listing of the InCryptid books on my website of the live-and-let-live Healys who have seen the error of their ways when it comes to huntin' down monsters.

My Take
This short story will break your heart all over again as the Healy family holds off on Fran's funeral a
Roslyn
Jun 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Another short story about the Healy family: no plot to speak of, but just a story of raw grief, beautifully told.
Nichole
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Everyone gathers to say goodby to Fran. Very sad.
Marjolein
Nov 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

The Star of New Mexico continues where Broken Paper Hearts ended (it would have probably been better had the two stories been combined, considering how short they both are). This one, however, was by far the saddest of them all. It's a very short stories, but considering this is a complete series of short stories, it doesn't really feel like a short story any more.

The part with the Aeslin mice was truly heartbreaking. Now I need some l
Sophie
THIS is the one that really punches you in the gut re: Fran's death. Everyone is sad, even the goddamn mice are sad, and I can't deal with sad animals, you guys. SHE LOVED THE MICE SO MUCH. THEY LOVED HER SO MUCH. WHYYYYYY.

Part of Seanan's genius with this series is showing how members of the family affect each other; how tragedy and grief can leave marks through generations. Jonathan is broken by Fran's death, and because of this, he becomes Super Overprotective Dad to Alice, ensuring that Alic
Sana Zameer
"Frances Healy was my best friend, and my wife, and the mother of my children," he said. "She was also my partner, the person I trusted above all others to have my back. When I needed her, she was always there. I am grateful for the time we had together—I am, God, I am—but I don't know what I'm going to do without her. I never thought I would have to do this without her. Aw, Fran." He rubbed his eyes with the back of his hand. It did nothing to slow his tears. "I don't know what I'm going to do. ...more
Cmoore
Jun 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The final story in the saga... I loved all the Fran and Johnny stories... It is so great that Seanan McGuire has provided these short stories to fill us in on the family history. While we impatiently wait for the next book in the in InCrypted universe... This story is a tearjerker, but it is awesome too... It is a perfect ending. It would be wonderful to see these stories collected into a single book (fingers crossed)... I totally recommend that you read the stories, most can be found free on Se ...more
Kate  K. F.
Jun 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A powerful end to Fran's story as everyone that she touched came together. I love how McGuire writes and this story perfectly captures all the reasons why with found family, understanding the pain of grief and the ways that people touch our lives.
Erin (PT)
Fran's funeral and the aftermath of her death. Heartbreaking (esp. the section with the Aeslin mice, though it was also delightful for the deeper look we get into their religion) but more of a vignette than a complete story.
Ronda
Apr 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
More tears.... And a heading to the future I guess...
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

0.14 - The Star of New Mexico

3 stars

I can't . . . I'm too sad . . .

Jessica Signature
Holly Hand Grenade
"She's a Healy, bred and born, and you're not going to change her."

The funeral. That's what this story is. It's a testimony to Fran Healy and the crazy courageous person she was. All of her friends gather to remember her and it's heartbreaking and uplifting and downright necessary.

Her best friend from the carnival, Juniper the routewitch, brings her daughter, Laura, to the foretold meeting of Alice Healy. It's probably best if we just don't say anything about Johnny and just how much this broke
Margaret
Aug 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
how delightful !! ( not that it's all about a funeral, of course). I love the Incryptid series, this is a small stand-alone story in that universe, but it ties in to another series of Ms McGuire's, the Roadwitch series !! exciting !!
The story itself is beautifully crafted, a poignant goodbye for a beloved family member and friend. Short and sweet, memorable.
Kyla
May 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Skye
Sep 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
After reading Broken Paper Hearts, I thought McGuire was done with breaking my heart. Boy was I wrong. Oh, so damn wrong. Evil woman managed to do it again. I finished this short story with that same horrid feeling of sadness and confusion that the previous short story left. But, it was somehow even worse because this was actually saying goodbye and dashing all hopes that Fran would be coming back…

This short story most definitely asks the question – how do you say goodbye to the ones that you lo
Courtney
Can't type, too busy crying.
Louisa
Jun 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I don't know why it hit me so much, but I cried a lot throughout most of it. Especially with the Mouse Priest POV! Need to move past it!
Krystle Bates
Nov 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Tears
Kira
May 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Cried over 15 pages
Meredith
Jun 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a way to rip my heart out. I was completely not ready for this and cried through the whole thing.
Stephen Topp
May 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
That thing in my eye is still there.
Jennybeast
Goodbye Fran. Goodbye Jonathan as we knew him. Poor Alice.
Kat
Apr 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
This one is even sadder than the story that preceded it, and I agree with the folks who say it should be one story. One can’t really be read without the other.

• Dead Man's Hand: An Anthology of the Weird West
  • Glitter & Mayhem
  • Westward Weird
  • Press Start to Play
  • Games Creatures Play
  • Urban Allies: Ten Brand-New Collaborative Stories
  • Urban Enemies
  • Shadowed Souls
  • Defy or Defend  (Delightfully Deadly, #2)
  • Hex in the City (Fiction River, #5)
  • Hardwired (Hardwired, #1)
  • Schrödinger's Cat Trilogy
  • Passage
  • Lincoln's Dreams
  • Cosmic Trigger: Die letzten Geheimnisse der Illuminaten oder An den Grenzen des erweiterten Bewusstseins
  • Bellwether
  • The Mysterious Study of Doctor Sex
  • Meat Cute: The Hedgehog Incident (Parasol Protectorate, #0)
Hi! I'm Seanan McGuire, author of the Toby Daye series (Rosemary and Rue, A Local Habitation, An Artificial Night, Late Eclipses), as well as a lot of other things. I'm also Mira Grant (www.miragrant.com), author of Feed and Deadline.

Born and raised in Northern California, I fear weather and am remarkably laid-back about rattlesnakes. I watch too many horror movies, read too many comic books, and

InCryptid (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • The Price Family Field Guide (Incryptid)
  • Discount Armageddon (InCryptid, #1)
  • Midnight Blue-Light Special (InCryptid, #2)
  • Half-Off Ragnarok (InCryptid, #3)
  • Pocket Apocalypse (InCryptid, #4)
  • Chaos Choreography (InCryptid, #5)
  • Magic for Nothing (InCryptid, #6)
  • Tricks for Free (InCryptid, #7)
  • That Ain’t Witchcraft (InCryptid, #8)
  • Imaginary Numbers (InCryptid, #9)