Start by marking “The Star of New Mexico (InCryptid #0.14)” as Want to Read:
The Star of New Mexico (InCryptid #0.14)

The Star of New Mexico

(InCryptid 0.14)

Almost twenty years ago, Jonathan Healy rode a train across the country to investigate reports that something was killing people in the wake of a small family circus. Almost twenty years ago, he brought home the woman who would be his wife, the mother of his children, and his partner in the endless quest to protect the cryptids of the world. The time has come for Fabulous ...more
Published June 5th 2015

To ask other readers questions about The Star of New Mexico, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Star of New Mexico

Robin (Bridge Four)
description

14 pages that tore my heart out, threw it on the ground and then tap danced on it. I didn't know I could cry so much over 14 pages.

I will miss you Fran. I thought I had one more to go before we got here but we didn't. My biggest fear is losing the love of my life and so it was so hard to be with Johnny and Alice when they lost theirs.

Yes I know this is the same review I posted for InCryptid #0.13 but the crying and devastation continues and I can't think of anything else to say right now.
Oct 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
This story was absolutely heart wrenching, I sobbed from beginning to end and I'm tearing up again just thinking about it. I can't believe how invested I became in these characters over the space of 14 short stories, we've probably spent less time with them than we do in most characters in a single book but I just fell in love with them both and watching Jonathan try to cope with Fran's death is heartbreaking.

This story focuses on Fran's funeral and it shows just how many lives Fran and Jonathan
Steven
Dec 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Sad to see the Jonathan and Frances stories come to an end.

I'm pretty sure that Frances is my favorite character in the Incryptid world.
Susana

Bring out the tissues.
You'll need them.
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
Frances Healy's funeral. I started crying in Broken Paper Hearts and continued all through this one. The whole Carnival was there, and finfolk, gorgons and so many others.

I knew I wasn't reading about immortals but I wasn't ready for this. Now, even if the author writes another Jonathan and Fran's adventure, it wouldn't feel the same. I just hope there will be one where Jonathan, Enid and Alex find the monster that killed her.
Even though nothing happens regarding monsters, there are so many smal
Maria Dimitrova
Jan 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
The last Jonathan and Fran story. In a way it's the end of an era. And even if it was a happier stry it would have still been hard for me to read and part with this couple.

This story just radiated pain. It was like a physical thing, the kind that leaves you struggling for breath. In just a few pages SM managed to present the reader with all the pain and sorrow the characters left seemingly without effort.

Lately I seem to be crying a lot while reading her works. And I love that her writing can i
Ivy
Sep 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
RIP Fran. Glad everyone was able to come to Fran's funeral. Also glad to see Fran one last time.
Kathy Davie
Jul 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: urban-fantasy
It's a free short story from Seanan McGuire, 0.14 in the InCryptid urban fantasy series, and revolving around a family of renegade "monster hunters" mourning the loss of someone much loved.

If you're interested, there is a chronological listing of the InCryptid books on my website of the live-and-let-live Healys who have seen the error of their ways when it comes to huntin' down monsters.

My Take
This short story will break your heart all over again as the Healy family holds off on Fran's funeral a
Roslyn
Jun 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Another short story about the Healy family: no plot to speak of, but just a story of raw grief, beautifully told.
Nichole
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Everyone gathers to say goodby to Fran. Very sad.
Marjolein
Nov 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

The Star of New Mexico continues where Broken Paper Hearts ended (it would have probably been better had the two stories been combined, considering how short they both are). This one, however, was by far the saddest of them all. It's a very short stories, but considering this is a complete series of short stories, it doesn't really feel like a short story any more.

The part with the Aeslin mice was truly heartbreaking. Now I need some l
Sophie
THIS is the one that really punches you in the gut re: Fran's death. Everyone is sad, even the goddamn mice are sad, and I can't deal with sad animals, you guys. SHE LOVED THE MICE SO MUCH. THEY LOVED HER SO MUCH. WHYYYYYY.

Part of Seanan's genius with this series is showing how members of the family affect each other; how tragedy and grief can leave marks through generations. Jonathan is broken by Fran's death, and because of this, he becomes Super Overprotective Dad to Alice, ensuring that Alic
Cmoore
Jun 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The final story in the saga... I loved all the Fran and Johnny stories... It is so great that Seanan McGuire has provided these short stories to fill us in on the family history. While we impatiently wait for the next book in the in InCrypted universe... This story is a tearjerker, but it is awesome too... It is a perfect ending. It would be wonderful to see these stories collected into a single book (fingers crossed)... I totally recommend that you read the stories, most can be found free on Se ...more
Erin (PT)
Fran's funeral and the aftermath of her death. Heartbreaking (esp. the section with the Aeslin mice, though it was also delightful for the deeper look we get into their religion) but more of a vignette than a complete story.
Kate  K. F.
Jun 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A powerful end to Fran's story as everyone that she touched came together. I love how McGuire writes and this story perfectly captures all the reasons why with found family, understanding the pain of grief and the ways that people touch our lives.
Holly Hand Grenade
"She's a Healy, bred and born, and you're not going to change her."

The funeral. That's what this story is. It's a testimony to Fran Healy and the crazy courageous person she was. All of her friends gather to remember her and it's heartbreaking and uplifting and downright necessary.

Her best friend from the carnival, Juniper the routewitch, brings her daughter, Laura, to the foretold meeting of Alice Healy. It's probably best if we just don't say anything about Johnny and just how much this broke
Margaret
Aug 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
how delightful !! ( not that it's all about a funeral, of course). I love the Incryptid series, this is a small stand-alone story in that universe, but it ties in to another series of Ms McGuire's, the Roadwitch series !! exciting !!
The story itself is beautifully crafted, a poignant goodbye for a beloved family member and friend. Short and sweet, memorable.
Meredith
Jun 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a way to rip my heart out. I was completely not ready for this and cried through the whole thing.
Stephen Topp
May 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
That thing in my eye is still there.
Kira
May 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Cried over 15 pages
Krystle Bates
Nov 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Tears
Louisa
Jun 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I don't know why it hit me so much, but I cried a lot throughout most of it. Especially with the Mouse Priest POV! Need to move past it!
Jennybeast
Goodbye Fran. Goodbye Jonathan as we knew him. Poor Alice.
Courtney
Can't type, too busy crying.
K.F.
Feb 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
I am not OK. I am so not OK. I'm mad and I'm angry but it was a very well written story...so...UGH.
Trebyl
Jun 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: free-online
Seanan McGuire is a master at reaching into your chest and tearing your heart out. And we thank her for it. She does it again with this story. I read it on the bus and wept the whole time.

Saying goodbye to Fran (especially if you've read all of the Johnny and Fran short stories that are available on her website) is so hard to do, and it's so hard to watch her friends and family grieve. You share their grief. But McGuire also makes you hopeful as the focus turns to Alice, the next generation of
Maggie Gordon
Originally read: June 6, 2015

Old review: Tears, tears, and MORE TEARS.

New Review: Tears, tears, and MORE TEARS.

In the last Incryptid short story, we saw Fran die. In The Star of New Mexico, we get a chance to say goodbye. Reading is an act of mourning. Every word is grief. This is both a fantastic and heart breaking way to end the Frannie and Johnny era of our family dynasty series. And the end? Just another knife to your gut that gives you some hope for future stories. Sweet, horrible, painful
Jenevieve
Nov 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-books
Review first published on
BrokenMnemonic
Nov 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This story does an excellent job of following up on the previous short story, showcasing the effects of loss on all of those involved. For all that the human characters were going through, it felt in some ways as if the grief of the Aeslin Mice was perhaps the most moving; while I love the Mice for their comic value and their dedicated devotion, this shows the other side of their nature well, and the effect the family has on them.

• Lightspeed Magazine, March 2016
  • Hex in the City (Fiction River, #5)
  • Westward Weird
  • Glitter & Mayhem
  • A Fantasy Medley 2
  • That Game We Played During the War
  • Dueling Magics (Kat, Incorrigible #1.5)
  • My Lord Mayhem (Disenchanted & Co., #0.5)
  • Small Wars (Sin du Jour)
  • All the Pretty Little Horses  (Newsflesh, #0.75)
  • Poison (Elemental Assassin, #0.1)
  • Games Creatures Play
  • Marine Biology (San Andreas Shifters, #0.5)
  • Shattered Shields
  • Fairy Debt
  • Brimstone and Marmalade
  • Updating Pritkin (Cassandra Palmer, #5.3)
Hi! I'm Seanan McGuire, author of the Toby Daye series (Rosemary and Rue, A Local Habitation, An Artificial Night, Late Eclipses), as well as a lot of other things. I'm also Mira Grant (www.miragrant.com), author of Feed and Deadline.

Born and raised in Northern California, I fear weather and am remarkably laid-back about rattlesnakes. I watch too many horror movies, read too many comic books, and

InCryptid (9 books)
  • Discount Armageddon (InCryptid, #1)
  • Midnight Blue-Light Special (InCryptid, #2)
  • Half-Off Ragnarok (InCryptid, #3)
  • Pocket Apocalypse (InCryptid, #4)
  • Chaos Choreography (InCryptid, #5)
  • Magic for Nothing (InCryptid, #6)
  • Tricks for Free (InCryptid, #7)
  • That Ain’t Witchcraft (InCryptid, #8)
  • Imaginary Numbers (InCryptid, #9)
“This, too, was part of losing Fran: watching all the things she'd made better with her presence fade blacker than they'd been before she came along.” 0 likes