Start by marking “The Stranger's Obituary (The Obituary Society, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Stranger's Obituary (The Obituary Society, #2)

The Stranger's Obituary

(The Obituary Society #2)

Welcome to Auburn, where fresh baked cookies hold the key to your future, and a melody carries the secrets of your past.

Mina Fairchild keeps to herself, and that’s the way she likes it. Her secluded life protects the secrets she hides, as well as a certain peculiarity that even people in the colorful town of Auburn, Nebraska find strange.

But when her movie-star sister
Published June 4th 2015

To ask other readers questions about The Stranger's Obituary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Stranger's Obituary

Start your review of The Stranger's Obituary (The Obituary Society, #2)
Mara
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Jessica L. Randall is a new author to me. This is the 2nd book in a series of 3, but I understand they're separate stories with a few characters that show up in each book.
It took me a couple of chapters to really get into the story which takes place in the small town of Auburn, Nebraska. Mina Fairchild writes a travel blog but her readers don't know that she hardly ever leaves her house. Her sister, Bernadette (Bernie), who left after high school to become a movie star, is back to hide out from
Ann
Aug 05, 2015 rated it liked it
It was an okay book . Had a bit of what they call mystic or paranormal touch to it , which I dont usually read. Actually it as the title that made me decide to read it. I do genealogy so the word obituary always catches my interest. About a family, one stayed indoors mostly, one was a star in Hollywood . When Bernie (the star )came back home it all started to come to a head. Lots of secrets in this town. Angry spirits dont want to let go just yet. But happy endings for everyone.
Diana Boyce
Sep 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Different, Interesting, Fun

I liked the very human main character, Nina, and all the inhabitants of the small town: all quirky, warm, believable. Add in a healthy dose of the supernatural, and a good murder mystery and my interest was guaranteed. I'm ordering her other books!
EJ Roberts
Nov 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book starts out just like any book with a stay-at-home big sister with a movie star little sister. Mina takes it to the extreme and is agoraphobic. Her sister arriving one night threw everything into a tizzy. Bernadette is your typical starlet, thinking everything revolves around her even though she just wants to be left alone for awhile. She’s trying to cope with her boyfriend’s cheating and her own reaction to finding out. Running home seemed to be her only option. The usual players pop u ...more
Cassie
Jul 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
So, I think I may like this book more than the first due to the air of mystery around the Fairchild sisters. However, I do feel some of the characters could have used a little bit more development. I liked Mina and Bernie but there was just something missing. I cannot really pinpoint it. I may have to read it again just to see why. The Obituary Society ladies are in full form and I wish they would have had more time in the book.
Regina Lively
Feb 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
TERRIFIC READ

I enjoyed book 2 of “The Obituary Society” triligy even more than I did book 1. The characters, for the most part, were enjoyable and delightful. (I HATED Susan!) The plotline flowed nicely to its conclusion, and the loose ends were tied up and explained. It was nice to see many of the characters from bk 1 still alive and kicking.
I’m going on to read book 3 now.
Krystyna
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A mother's love surmounts even death

Awesome. Same place but even though the minor characters are the same this is about two sisters. One is also a hermit, only taking walks in the dark, and the other is a film star. Their reunion causes events that could shatter the whole community as well as their lives. Great plot that uses the paranormal as a tool to enhance the story rather than being the story.
When she wakes up it's to the clamour of voices outside. Why? Then her eyes fall onto evidence tha
Neerja Joshi
Feb 25, 2018 rated it liked it
The Stranger's Obituary is the second book in the Obituary Series. After reading the first part, The Obituary Society, which I quite liked, I went for this one. This book revolves around two new characters in the series. One of them is a Hollywood actress who came back to Auburn, Nebraska after a fallout with her boyfriend. Another is her sister who is living in the town ever since their mom brought them to this town. She never leaves her house until its something very urgent. It takes you on th ...more
Alysha
Dec 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: audio-books
This is book 2 is a 3 part series. However, all 3 can be read alone. I really enjoyed book 1. I felt this book was lacking a little. Some of the same characters were in this one but their personalities were a little different in this one. This is a new author for me and I liked her writing style just not necessarily this particular story. I wish there would have been a little more conflict between certain characters. Book one had me flipping pages quickly, book two was a little predictable.
Carol
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Well titled book

Having read book 1 in this series, it was fun to see more of and get to know Doug, and also to learn that the problem in book 1 got resolved. I am not usually drawn to books with paranormal happenings, but I found Mina's gift believable. (Not the cookie connection, however!) I did not read this book as a romance, but rather an explanation of Mina's and Bernie's lives. I like happy endings, so was satisfied.
Sande Mcatee
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I stumbled upon this author by accident and I'm happy that I did. I loved the first book in this series, the Obituary Society, and loved this one even more. It includes all of the small town characters that I love with a bit of mystery/romance. I can't wait to start the third and final book in this series. If you're looking for a fun light afternoon book to read...go no further...this is the one. Would anyone like to join me for a burger at Doug's Diner? ...more
Rebecca
Jul 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Character driven

Enjoyable read. Nice characters. More character motivated than driven by paranormal elements. Solid 3*

Had read at least parts of it previously. Suspect it was all but notes lost
Juli Hennessee
Feb 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Will not read a sequel.

This book left too many things unfinished, too many features left out, too many ideas halfway begun, and a whole town's story just plain up in the air. It is convoluted, starts many ideas and does not finish any of them in a satisfying manner. Too bad.
Kristi Fleming
Nov 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
I purchased these as a set and really wished I hadn't. I was hoping against hope that the books would improve as they went along. They didn't. I did like several of the characters but not as much as I did in book one. The author's work gets murky sometimes and really needs work to carry the story through. ...more
Susan
May 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Interesting

Over all, this was a compelling story. At times I felt like parts of it were edited out too much, and so disjointed. The skeleton was there, but parts of flesh seemed to be missing. I would still recommend it.
Nancy
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
Had high hopes following the first book - assumed this would be better - but the story was far to convoluted
Katherine
Mar 27, 2018 rated it liked it
An okay read. I skimmed a lot.
Marilyn Buehler
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A very cute book, a good mystery, great characters and happy ending. What more could you want in a good read?
Yvonne
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The first one in the series had a touch of supernatural in it. This 2nd book of the series is definately a supernatural title.
Kendra Chubbuck
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was ok
It was okay. I wished Ada and the Society was in it more. Mina and Bernie were okay. Plot was okay. Quick read. I hope Book 3 is better.
Carol E Hale
Jun 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Just as the Obituary Society held my attention from the very first page, so has this second installment. I can’t wait to read the next one!
Chelsea
More reviews available at my blog, Beauty and the Bookworm.

The Stranger's Obituary is the second book in Jessica L. Randall's Obituary Society series, which may or may not be the last book in the series--so far #2 is as far as it goes. It takes place in a town called Auburn, Nebraska where weird things happen. There's a little girl named Juniper who can find lost things, some very spooky happenings that affected the heroine of the first book, Lila, and now we get to see some more weirdness. Mina
Marty Hamernik
Mar 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Loved it!

Loved it! Kept me guessing the whole time. The characters are interesting to get to know & the plot is totally unexpected.
Karlene Browning
Jan 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Stayed up way too late finishing this book. Loved it.

This is book 2 in the Obituary Society, but it works as a stand-alone. I loved the first book, The Obituary Society, so much that I purchased this one the very second I finished the first one.

This is the story of two sisters who couldn’t be more different—and yet, they both have a strength that’s admirable. They interact with various characters in the town, so we get to see some of the ones we loved from book one.

The plot in this book was a
Judy Christiana
Mar 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
First, I will say that I got this book as a free kindle book. The title interested me and I also liked the cover art. (I will also say that I download The Obituary Society book, but did not realize that book preceded this one. I think I would have liked it better, if I read them in order)
Having said that. I did enjoy the book after I read about half of it. The first half was slow moving to me and did not hold my interest as much as I would have liked it to. I also do not usually read paranormal
Jessica
Feb 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: magical-realism, cozy
The Stranger's Obituary is book two in the series. When I first found out that there was another book I was super excited, then when I found out that it follows another story line I was massively disappointed. I generally don't like to spend a whole book getting to know and love characters then not getting to hear as much from them going forward. I got the book anyway (I borrowed free through Prime, though I would have bought it if borrowing wasn't an option) and I am so glad I gave it a chance. ...more
Kay
Feb 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book, maybe a little more than the first Obituary Society book. I plan to read the next!
Barbara Zeh
Aug 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: suspense
This is the second book in the series, and we find ourselves back in Auburn. I did like this installment, but the story overall seemed to move a bit slow.

Mina redefines housebound introvert. When her movie star sister Bernadette (Bernie) shows up, Mina’s world is turned upside down with the swarm of paparazzi. As if being overrun with reports isn’t trauma enough, one particular dark eyed reporter seems to see right through her, seeing even her darkest secrets, which she can’t let happen. When it
Judy
Sep 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries, paranormal
This is the second book I've read in this series. The Obituary Society for which the series was named is not as prominent in this one, and if I hadn't read the other one I wouldn't have even understood their place in the story. Still, it was a decent mystery with a little "woo woo" but not enough to put me off. I found the characters interesting, and I did care what happened to them, which is important to me in evaluating a book. If you like a small town mystery and don't mind an active ghost, y ...more
Angela
Feb 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!

The characters are loveable and the plot line was fun and easy to follow. I loved the town and its people. Felt like home. Great job!
« previous 1 3 next »

• Mail Order Soulmate (Veils and Vows, #6)
  • Grandma Snuggles
  • Magical Midlife Invasion (Leveling Up #3)
  • Chancey Jobs (Chancey #4)
  • Refuge: A Novel
  • Midlife Ghost Hunter (Forty Proof, #4)
  • Christmas at the Restaurant (The Nantucket Restaurant series Book 2)
  • The Convivial Codfish (Kelling & Bittersohn, #5)
  • Her Sister's Shoes (Sweeney Sisters #1)
  • Witches' Brew (Witches and Wine, #1)
  • Spellmaker (Spellbreaker Duology, #2)
  • What Sam Knew (Patricia Fisher Adventure Mysteries #1)
  • The Body in the Birches (Faith Fairchild Mystery, #22)
  • Murder on the SS Rosa (Ginger Gold Mysteries #0.5)
  • Killing Katie (Affair with Murder, #1)
  • Scorched Grounds (Normal, Alabama, #2)
  • Murder, Lies and Chocolate (Death by Chocolate #2)
  • The Restaurant

The Obituary Society (3 books)
  • The Obituary Society (The Obituary Society, #1)
  • The Obituary Society's Last Stand (Obituary Society #3)