Start by marking “Cometh the Hour (The Clifton Chronicles, #6)” as Want to Read:
Cometh the Hour (The Clifton Chronicles, #6)

Cometh the Hour

(The Clifton Chronicles #6)

4.18  ·  Rating details ·  26,179 ratings  ·  1,438 reviews
Cometh the Hour opens with the reading of a suicide note, which has devastating consequences for Harry and Emma Clifton, Giles Barrington and Lady Virginia.

Giles must decide if he should withdraw from politics and try to rescue Karin, the woman he loves, from behind the Iron Curtain. But is Karin truly in love with him, or is she a spy?

Lady Virginia is facing bankruptcy, a
Published February 16th 2016 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Cometh the Hour, please sign up.
Philip Ransley I totally disagree with you BUT and ONLY this BUT was that you have to wait for the next book to see the actual conclusion of the fifth book. This was…moreI totally disagree with you BUT and ONLY this BUT was that you have to wait for the next book to see the actual conclusion of the fifth book. This was annoying and I did write to the author about it but he never acknowledged me. Not that I am offended, being one of my most favorite author, but you know !!!!!!!(less)

·  26,179 ratings  ·  1,438 reviews

Start your review of Cometh the Hour (The Clifton Chronicles, #6)
Luffy
Jan 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
There are few authors better than Jeffrey Archer at plotting. True, he will extract his characters in distress with some crazy Deus Ex Machina, but that is kept muffled in this book. I thought that Cometh the Hour is not equal to his best, but given that the writer is quite old (and I'm prone to say he has passed his peak), it's a great effort on his part, to give us quite a lot to think about.

The major characters whose stories we follow, are Harry and Emma Clifton, Sir Giles Barrington, Sebasti
Cynthia
Sep 06, 2015 marked it as to-read
I can't wait for this book to come out. Jeffrey Archer is my all time favorite author. I've been hooked since Kane and Abel.
Wendy
Feb 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I didn't want to finish this book because I wanted it to last as long as I could drag it out. It followed the series like the other books before have and it certainly did not disappoint. The book seemed to be setting us up for the end of the series but the biggest surprise of all is that this is not the last book in this series. The way it ended could have very well ended The Clifton Chronicles but it didn't so now we have no way of knowing what will be happening next. I have come to the conclus ...more
Ujjawal Sureka
Feb 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Series: Clifton Chronicles #6
Genre: Historical fiction, Mystery, Drama
Publication Date: February 2016

The story as well as the characters are a lot mature now (except lady Virgina Fenwick :P). The book delves deeper into family, love, politics, business, conspiracy, and freedom of speech.
There were a lot of times when the story left me emotional. Jeffery Archer sure has a knack of character building, we can get well attached to them. The story was engaging and fun.
There are still a few unresolve
Matt
Nov 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Archer has much to offer in this penultimate volume of his heptalogy, pushing the Cliftons, Barringtons, and a slew of other characters into the centre of dramatic events of the 1970s. As the novel opens, Emma Clifton awaits news on a libel suit that may see her forced to hand over control of Barrinton's Shipping, as the Board is divided over her actions. While she is able to weather a rather choppy storm, her prowess is not ignored as she joins more directorships and is kept in the inner circle ...more
Ken
May 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’d purchased this book without knowing it was part of a series, I find it’s so easily done - especially when browsing on kindle stores.

Of course I’d prefer to start at the beginning, but I was glad that I’d not known at the time that this was the penultimate in the series - that would have been too daunting.

This entry follows the Clifton and Barrington families during the 1970’s, even though some of the plot strands were a little confusing at first it was easy to move along with the story.
The
Retha Cameron
Jan 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
I read the other five Clifton Chronicles and I couldn't wait to read volume six. Jeffrey Archer didn't disappoint.
Picking up where volume five left off, enough background is given to remind you of everything you may have forgotten since then. Following the Clifton's, Barrington's, and Lady Virginia Fenwick through the 1970's, Archer's storytelling once again had me unable to put the novel down until I was finished.
Having read all the other books, I am not a good judge as to whether this book w
Jim

Cometh the Hour is the sixth book in Jeffrey Archer's Clifton Chronicle series and we are now in the 1970's. The story opens right where Mightier Than the Sword left off … with the reading of a suicide note at the trial of Virgina Fenwick vs Emma Clifton. If you have read Mightier Than the Sword you know whose suicide. While you could read this book as a standalone I would recommend reading all of the books in the series and in order. If you do you will get to know all of the characters
Rohit Enghakat
Mar 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
This is the sixth and the penultimate instalment of Clifton Chronicles. As usual there are twists and turns although i found this book a bit tepid compared to the other books. What i like about Archer is his writing style. It just flows so naturally that the reader is never bored.
Katie
I LOVED this book. Jeffrey Archer is the consummate storyteller and this series keeps getting better. I found myself so engrossed in the story that the world around me seemed to disappear.

It was great to become reacquainted with Harry, Emma, Giles, Sebastian and others. Lady Fenwick, a character you love to hate, also added interest to the tale. It's a pleasure to find fictional characters who exemplify the qualities we admire and share in their triumphs as well as share their setbacks and chal
Kerri
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Not too much to say really. I love these books, I've had a great time reading them and I'm looking forward to starting the final one tomorrow!

Oh, and once again, what an ending! I'm tempted to start 'This Was A Man' right now, but I also want to sleep...

I think I can manage a chapter or two though- I want to know what happens! I've become so invested in these characters and their incredibly dramatic, tumultuous lives!
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
EXCERPT: Giles Barrington couldn’t sleep the night before he was due to fly to Berlin. He was up long before the sun rose, didn’t bother with breakfast and took a taxi from his home in Smith Square to Heathrow hours before his flight was due to depart. First flights in the morning were almost the only aircraft guaranteed to take off on time. He picked up a copy of the Guardian in the first class lounge, but didn’t get beyond the front page as he drank a cup of black coffee and went over Walter’s ...more
Sathya Sekar
Mar 05, 2016 rated it did not like it
This series has been going downhill for a while but I think its hit a nadir with this book. Really cringe-worthy at times, the book has nothing to offer to devoted readers of the series. People whom we have grown to admire now become the Perfects. Harry, Emma, Giles.. all are established as all thats great and beautiful in the world. The villains become more and more petty and less effective. Sebastian has another dash of romance which I think was introduced by Archer just to please his huge fan ...more
Donna
Apr 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If this was a stand alone book, it would probably get a 3 star rating and not a 4, because of a few different things. First, this book didn't feel as cohesive as past books in this series. It was dang close to rambling at times, without actually crossing that line. Second, some of the story lines felt repetitive or even recycled. This leads to the final thing which is, overall this felt a little 'stiff'.

Now with all of that out the way, the reason this gets 4 stars and not 3, is because of the w
Nilesh
Mar 04, 2016 rated it it was ok
Fool me six times, and the addiction is mine.

The Chronicles continue to meander aimlessly in the penultimate episode. There are ten or more short stories that progress so rapidly that one could almost feel the weight of the author's deadline pressure. For a change, there are no famous Archerisq close votes or a cliff-hanger book-end - two definite new positives! However, substituting them are these plethora of' tales that appear to have been lifted straight out of a collection of 1970s' books an
Anis Suhaila
Has Jeffrey Archer always been this bad in writing dialogues and monologues? Seems lazy, even.

I'm glad this whole series is coming to an end, getting tired of the whole family. Up to the point I can easily understand why they have so many enemies.
Toni Osborne
Jul 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Clifton Chronicles # 6

Mr. Archer’s spins a cracking yarn with his sixth volume and has plunged us even deeper into a very intense tale of spies, politics, love and most of all unlimited intrigue. “Cometh the Hour” continues the events of the fictitious Clifton and Barrington families now the characters have reached the 1970s. Although this story can be read on its own I would highly suggest not doing so as this latest follows the events of the previous book.

All stories have started with a b
Girish
Oct 31, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Archer's book in the series was an average fare despite being good in parts. In fact the book goes on auto mode that the writing is like the background music in a pub - just there while you go about doing other things. It's that book in the series where the author is desperately out of ideas and maybe wondering why he signed a 7 book deal.

A lot of things happen in the book but none that seems to fit in with a natural flow of story. I was into 3 chapters, when I had trouble placing characters. I
Blaine DeSantis
Sep 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another fine entry in the Clifton Family Chronicles. So much action and plot twists, and so typical of the author. He moves the action along at a brisk pace by concentrating on different characters in different sections of the books he writes. What is new here? Well we have an East German spy, double-agents, MI-6, the Nobel Prize in Literature, a typical Russian ending to controversy, more banking and criminal activity, along with Politics and Margaret Thatcher makes her first appearance. Whew! ...more
Dave
Oct 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jeffrey-archer
It is unusual for me to enjoy a book so much and to look forward to the next one in the ongoing saga of the Clifton/Barrington families as I did this book! The plot keeps thickening and gets more interesting with every turn without me second guessing every outcome! I really like that in a book!
Yesha- Books Teacup and Reviews
Cometh the Hour, 6th in The Clifton Chronicles series was interesting mix of historical fiction, politics and family drama that revolved around Cliftons and Barringtons’ life. Like all previous book this too was about good vs bad, morals and principles, good things happen to good people and enemies gets their comeuppance, family, love and drama.

Writing was easy to read, addictive and flawless. It was told in third person narrative from Emma, Harry, Giles, Seb, Bishra, and Virginia’s perspective;
Julie
Jul 03, 2020 rated it liked it
This book perked up a bit after the last one. It also leaves enough loose ends a person must read the last book to wrap the series up. I admit the series disappointed me in the directions it took and the people who have died or been killed off.
Tracy
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As said in one of my earlier notes, I yelled and gasped at this book more than any other in a long time! I was often surprised and shocked at what would happen in the story.

Harry & Emma have come a long way as well as Giles, Sebastian and our lovely Virginia Fenwick..... Some of our "bad guys" have fallen on hard times, but several are still alive and kicking....

The book ends with a horrible incident and I instantly opened book 7 to find out if the author really just did that or not.... I can't
Sharon
Mar 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My son bought me this book as a Mother's Day present as I love these books. I managed to hold off reading it for a few days while I read the previous book in the series (Mightier Than The Sword) to refresh myself of the story. I'm now really disappointed as I got through this in 2 days and now I have to wait until at least the end of the year for the next and final instalment!

As usual, this one doesn't disappoint! Split into different parts, each part based on a different character. It has the u
Liz
Feb 28, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the sixth book in the 'Clifton Chronicles' series and the storylines are now very far removed from the Barrington Shipping saga in previous books. The opening chapter takes the reader straight back to the end of book 5, refreshing the reader's memory as to the current story. The plot continues but goes off on many tangents. Some new characters are introduced and there are some shocks along the way. It's an ok read with lots of 'loose ends' tied up. The final book in the series will be re ...more
 Olivermagnus
Feb 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: europe, england, 2017, fiction
This is the sixth book in the Clifton Chronicles, a family saga which follows Harry Clifton, his family, friends, and enemies starting from the 1920's until the 1990s. We pick up the story in the 1970s, immediately following the cliffhanger ending in the prior book of the series, Mightier Than The Sword. Harry has become a successful author and his wife, Emma, is still running Barrington Shipping. Her brother Giles is a Member of Parliament but is working hard to get the woman he loves out of Ea ...more
Kenneth Iltz
Nov 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-books
There are now six books in the Clifton Chronicles. I have read all of them. I read the first five while I was stuck at home nursing a new knee.

Cometh the Hour is the sixth in the series. A seventh book is promised in November to complete the series. The Chronicles portray the Barrington and Clifton family through much of the last century in Bristol, England.

There isn’t enough space to describe the plot of the chronicles. Suffice it to say that the good people are really good and they almost al
Rachel Guinsburg
Feb 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I've been reading Jeffrey Archer for about 100 years, loving the Clifton Chronicles & this one did not disappoint. Looking forward to #7. ...more
Benjamin Thomas
The sixth and penultimate volume in “The Clifton Chronicles” covers most of the 1970’s and serves to move events along pretty well. By now, readers are very familiar with the major characters in the decades-long saga and so what we have here is essentially a grouping of their individual stories that occasionally overlap with the overarching story arcs that keep it all going.

We do finally get some closure to the Anatoly Babakov sub plot and we also get another in the endless Lady Virginia scheme
Jun 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
I hate series books, particularly when I'm reading them while they're still being published. I hate how they finish on a cliffhanger! I really enjoyed this story, it tied up some of the loose threads we've been waiting for, but threw new ones in.

I was enjoying getting to know Priya, conveniently though, her existence didn't get in the way of destiny. Virginia is as nasty and contriving as ever, but this time she certainly went farther than I would have expected. Her mates spend the whole book tr
Cometh the hour 3 40 Dec 09, 2018 06:35AM

• Mightier than the Sword: by Jeffrey Archer (The Clifton Chronicles Series, Book 5) | Summary & Analysis
  • Jeffrey Archer: Stranger than Fiction
  • Satans sommer (Martin Juncker-krim, #2)
  • Apneia
  • Scorpion Trail
  • Um Pingo na Água
  • Idades Cidades Divindades
  • Vildskud (Rebekka Holm, #8)
  • Margarida Espantada
  • For barnets bedste
  • Pigen fra den franske skole
  • Kika & Me: How one extraordinary guide dog changed my world
  • Stilleleg (Nora Sand #4)
  • Os Pássaros
  • Blue Willow
  • I Guds rige
  • Sheryl Crow: Words + Music
  • Mysteriet i Genbrugsen
Jeffrey Howard Archer, Baron Archer of Weston-super-Mare (born 15 April 1940) is an English author and former politician.

He was a Member of Parliament and deputy chairman of the Conservative Party, and became a life peer in 1992. His political career, having suffered several controversies, ended after a conviction for perverting the course of justice and his subsequent imprisonment. He is married

The Clifton Chronicles (7 books)
  • Only Time Will Tell (The Clifton Chronicles, #1)
  • The Sins of the Father (The Clifton Chronicles, #2)
  • Best Kept Secret (The Clifton Chronicles, #3)
  • Be Careful What You Wish For (The Clifton Chronicles, #4)
  • Mightier Than the Sword (The Clifton Chronicles, #5)
  • This Was a Man (The Clifton Chronicles, #7)

News & Interviews