Start by marking “Shadow Run (Kaitan Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
Shadow Run (Kaitan Chronicles, #1)

Shadow Run

(Kaitan Chronicles #1)

Nev has just joined the crew of the starship Kaitan Heritage as the cargo loader. His captain, Qole, is the youngest-ever person to command her own ship, but she brooks no argument from her crew of orphans, fugitives, and con men. Nev can't resist her, even if her ship is an antique.

As for Nev, he's a prince, in hiding on the ship. He believes Qole holds the key to changi
Published March 21st 2017 by Delacorte Press

To ask other readers questions about Shadow Run, please sign up.
J. Yong This is YA; the heroine is 17 years old. She is pretty, not plain, and has awesome abilities. She's practical, smart and I really like her. Only one…moreThis is YA; the heroine is 17 years old. She is pretty, not plain, and has awesome abilities. She's practical, smart and I really like her. Only one guy falls in love with her. There is no love triangle and no cliffhanger.(less)
AdriAnne March 21, 2017 now, or so says the latest news! I think at least the month is pretty final.

Cait • A Page with a View
Apr 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi
Ehhh 2.5 very neutral stars. I hadn't heard a lot about this new release except that it was reminiscent of Firefly. So that got my attention... but pretty sure that label is being applied way too freely these days to any spaceship with smuggler activities and a motley crew.

Nev is a prince who's disguised himself as a loader on a ship captained by Qole, the youngest captain from her planet. There's a lot of sketchy worldbuilding about harvesting the deadly Shadow, but the general idea is that Qo
Anna Priemaza
Oct 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Dear Basra,

I am madly in love with you. I do not care that you are not a main character. Nev might dual-wield his Disruptor Blades and dream of bettering humanity, and Qole might have the lurking madness of Shadow behind her eyes that allows her to SHOOT PURPLE FLAMES FROM HER FINGERTIPS, but you... you are even more badass than them. More badass than purple flames, dear Basra.

I love your brilliant conniving, your devotion to Arjan, your gender-fluidity, your way of sneaking up on people to dest
Damaris (GoodChoiceReading)
Aug 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I don't have one negative comment to make about this book!!! Lots and lots of action! I think I have not one, but THREE new book boyfriends. Phew! The men in this book are not to be messed with. Loved it!
Nicole Brinkley
May 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: g-sci-fi, c-ya
If you want an effortlessly inclusive and incredibly fun adventure that will take you to the furthest edge of their galaxy and back, the crew aboard the Kaitan Heritage have a story for you. SHADOW RUN follows Qole, whose Shadow-enhanced skills as an airship captain transcend her tiny planet of Alaxak, and Nev, who needs the space-poisoned captain to save his family and, maybe, the galaxy. AdriAnne Strickland and Michael Miller splash onto the scene with this incredibly fast-paced debut that wil ...more
Fafa's Book Corner
DNF

Mini review:

I received this E-ARC via Netgalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review. I was looking forward to reading this. I enjoyed Starflight (another space book) and thought that this would be similar. Unfortunately I didn't enjoy it. I spent the first few chapters absolutely confused. I vaguely understood the Shadow stuff but everything else was lost on me. Definitely just a personal thing as I am not really that well versed in science.

Still recommend.
Cale Dietrich
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
WHOA.

WHAT a start to my 2017 reading. This book is basically everything. The comp titles are FIREFLY and DUNE, but I haven’t watched or read those (I know, I know) so for me, this book is SIX OF CROWS meets STAR WARS.

Like those two, this book is a total blockbuster. The action in this seriously made my jaw drop a few times. It’s all so inventive and cool, and is majorly epic. The battles, you guys! There are so many cool action scenes in this, and they all feel unique and they just keep getting
Meli
Feb 18, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc
Edito: la calificación original de este libro era 4 estrellas pero TENGO que bajarle la puntuación. ¿Por qué? Porque un poco más de un año después de leerlo, ni siquiera recordaba haberlo hecho. No me acuerdo de qué se trata, qué me gustó tanto, ni siquiera la sinopsis sirve de disparador. De hecho, entré al verlo entre mis "leídos" para quitarlo, ya que creí que lo había marcado por error. Es muy raro que pase esto, es muy raro que no recuerde una lectura, especialmente una que disfruté. Pero a ...more
Alice Cai
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf, 2-star
2* dnf: 33/390

Shitty sci-fi. (I should probably give this more of a chance, but I already hate the characters.) It's duo perspective by a guy and a girl. Their personalities are both so angsty it's gross. It says in the summary that there is going to be a romance and it already feels forced as they got into a fight. It's "hate to love". So dumb, so obvious.
This was described by Jay Kristoff as "kinda like FIREFLY had an illegitimate lovechild with DUNE". Well that's me sold!
Jessica
Mar 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm not going to lie, I am always so delighted when I find a Science Fiction novel that is accessible and exciting! I had high hopes for Shadow Run, and I wasn't disappointed in the slightest. The Kaitan Heritage is a ship after my own heart. Cobbled together, barely holding on, and full of the most loyal and intriguing set of people there ever was! I remember seeing somewhere that this book was likened to Firefly and Dune. Yes, friends, that is entirely accurate. A little bit of love, a dash of ...more
Laura (midorireads)
Apr 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
An exhilarating space opera that will be sure to keep you enamored with its cast of cool/misfit characters, and the constant action that seems to infuse their everyday lives.

-------------------------
Seventeen year old Qole is the youngest person ever from Alaxac to own and captain her own ship, and one of the best when it comes to harnessing shadow, an inky, black substance that is used for its ability to produce massive amounts of energy.

As 'shadow fishers', Qole and her crew are kept busy with
Lily (Night Owl Book Cafe)
I always enjoy experiencing new authors and since this was a science fiction book compared to Firefly, why not give it a shot?

I enjoyed the book for the most part. I really liked Qole, Arjan, Eton, Basra and Telu. I thought they were an interesting cast of characters all with their own special gifts and I loved how close knit they were.

I struggled with Nev at times, who is basically the male lead as this book is told from his and Qole's POV. For someone so smart, he could be a bit thick at times
Aila

Review to come!

Just think: ship captains power over Shadow, financial whizzes, princes with ulterior motives but fight like there's no tomorrow, and more diverse characters that you can't help but want to protect and keep safe. THE CREW OF KAITAN HERITAGE MUST BE PROTECTED 5EVER.
Jaime (Two Chicks on Books)
Jan 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Damn I loved this book! It was very Firefly like but I can see the comparison to Dune too! Also I'm going to throw in a bit of Ice Pirates (the movie look it up lol) for giggles! I loved the dual POV's of Nev (swoons) and Qole! I can't wait for the next book!!!
Ryan Buckby
Jun 08, 2017 rated it liked it
actual rating: 3.5

i enjoyed this story but not as much as i would have liked to, i think the biggest problem i had with this book was the writing it didn't draw me in and didn't keep me invested in the story at all.

The characters were all amazing and the thing that i enjoyed most in this book but for me the writing of the story was a massive let down!

Ratings:

Characters: 4.5
Story: 3
Writing: 2.5

but if you love science fiction stories i think you'll love this
Gwen Cole
Jun 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-debuts
I thought I would love this book before reading it, and now that I've read it, I love it more than I can express. But I will try...

If you like anything set in space and different planets, like Firely, Dune, Star Wars, and countless others, this book is for you. Once I started reading, I had a hard time putting it down, and when I did I told everyone I saw how good it was. The characters come to life from the very first page and you can't help but root for them as they go through my obstacles and
AdriAnne
Mar 29, 2017 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Hey all! Coauthor, here. If you want more information on the world, check in at www.kaitanchronicles.com, where we'll be adding more and more nerdy tidbits as time goes on. Thanks for reading, and we hope you have as much fun as we did writing it!
Marky
Jun 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tohle bylo boží!!!
Ne Illuminae, ale chyběla tomu už jen grafická forma.
Odteď už chci číst jen sci-fi, co napsali muž a žena společně, protože tohle je prostě pecka!
Muž: akce, bojové scény, technické a obchodní vymoženosti
Žena: pocity, postavy, jejich vnitřní myšlenky a vzájemné vztahy
Jízda od začátku až do konce, možná se ještě vyšplháme na plné hodnocení.
5/5*
(Vyšplhali jsme se.)

// Celá recenze: https://marky-books.blogspot.com/2018...
Misa Sugiura
Oct 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: SF fans, people who love the ragtag band of misfits trope, fans of kickass women protagonists
Science fiction is pretty much never my first choice, but I fell in love with kick-ass-first-ask-questions-after Captain Qole and her ragtag crew of misfits. Add to the mix exploding spaceships, a lethal but indispensable energy source, a prince in disguise, clan warfare, betrayals and treachery, and the terrible choice of which loyalty to sacrifice: to friends, to family, to the good of the galaxy--and you have a compelling read even for a non-SF fan like me.
Billie
Jan 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
Alas, another attempt at YA SF that falls flat. It's not bad, but it's lacking in originality and the world-building is kind of weak. (Alaxak is a cold planet where the inhabitants scrape by by "fishing" for Shadow. Keep in mind that one of the authors is a fisherperson in Alaska. Yup.) It's fine, but there's no way in hell it should be being compared to either Dune or Firefly.
Maddie
Apr 12, 2017 rated it did not like it
Wow. That was awful. No character development. Mediocre world building. Insanely critical representation of a gender fluid character. Racism that matches Carve the Mark. Good god that was not fun but since it has so many high ratings I read the whole thing to give an honest and straight forward review.
mich
Science fiction with elements of fantasy, lots of action and adventure, and some romance. That's this book.

I should have totally loved it. Something about the writing just didn't click with me though and I never got invested in the story or the characters. Bummer.

I think a lot of people might like this though. Go for it.
Lulai
Feb 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
--- I received this book through NetGalley against an honest review. ---

The book starts with a classical model of a science fiction book , the universe has been conquered by humans, the planets are more or less equal in resources, some are covered with ice, others with forest or stone. But what is interesting here is the story behind, we feel that there are centuries of History, that human specie has evolved. Speaking of society, this book is extremely modern on some points, the galaxy has a kin
Leah
***I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.***

SUMMARY:

Qole Uvgamut pilots a ship and, along with her family and friends, fishes for and harnesses the volatile energy, called Shadow, that permeates the atmosphere in the galaxy around her planet. She doesn't just gather it for sale--Qole comes from a long line of people with an affinity for personally accessing the Shadow.

Nevarian Dracorte is a prince, heir to his family's throne. He's sent to retrieve Qole by any means n
Lisbeth
Feb 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
The planet Alaxak has only two things on it: ice and access to Shadow, a highly combustible form of energy that can be harvested from space if the pilot is skilled enough not to explode while processing it, and young enough he or she hasn't succumbed to the inevitable Shadow poisoning and gone mad. Enter the Kaitan Heritage, a spaceship captained by determined teenage Qole, the best Shadow fisher on the planet. Her crew is as scrappy as she is: her brother and skilled pilot Arjan; her childhood ...more
Deanna
Oct 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was an early reader of Shadow Run and I thought it was amazing! It was packed full of adventure, romance, fascinating and unique characters, and cool, futuristic concepts. I fell in love with Qole and Nev, as well as Basra. Basra, in particular, was a breath of fresh air, as a gender-fluid, mysterious, and generally badassed individual. The entire book kept me enthralled throughout, and I can't wait for the sequel!
Laura Silverman
Jul 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Longer review to come but you know that feeling you get when you have really high expectations for a book and it actually meets those expectations? This book will give you that feeling x10. Definitely read this one y'all!
Caitlyn
Apr 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Readers who liked Starflight by Melissa Landers or The Diabolic by SJ Kincaid
RTC.
Wendy
Mar 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars! Immediate reaction: I loved all the action and really enjoyed the crew relationships and characters! Some info dumping would kind of crop up in some parts, mostly the politics stuff -- at least to me it seemed like big paragraphs that got a little dry (give me more on the Kaitan instead!) Nev was soo naive and way too idealistic bless his heart but you can't help but love him. I can't wait to see what is to come in the rest of this series!

Full review:

This was a really action packed
Jacquie (Rattle the Stars)
Feb 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
** This review was also posted on Rattle the Stars.

I received this book for free from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

I can’t stop raving about how good this book was! It’s described as being “Dune meets Firefly” which both worried and intrigued me. How can you successfully combine these two? It seemed impossible. If you’ve ever watched either of these TV shows/movies (and you really should) they are pretty darn
The Sequel 1 6 Jul 12, 2017 08:38PM
  • Stormtroopers: Beyond the Armor (Star Wars)
  • Pitch Dark
  • Sanctuary (Sanctuary, #1)
  • Dove Arising (Dove Chronicles, #1)
  • Uprising (Star Wars Rebel Force, #6)
  • Runaways: The Complete Collection, Vol. 3
  • Lotus and Thorn
  • Amid Stars and Darkness (The Xenith Trilogy, #1)
  • Rebel Seoul (Rebel Seoul, #1)
  • Cross Fire (Exo #2)
  • Finding Home
  • Toxic
  • Enemy Exposure (The Raven Files, #2)
  • Last Pick (Last Pick, #1)
  • Zero Repeat Forever
  • Dare Mighty Things
  • Fourth World (Iamos Trilogy, #1)
  • Tabula Rasa (Tabula Rasa, #1)
AdriAnne Strickland was a bibliophile who wanted to be an author before she knew what either of those words meant. She shares a home base in Alaska with her husband, her pugs, and her piles and piles of books. She loves traveling, dancing, vests, tattoos, and every shade of teal in existence, but especially the darker ones. She is the coauthor of SHADOW RUN and SHADOW CALL (Delacorte/Penguin Rando ...more

Kaitan Chronicles (2 books)
  • Shadow Call (Kaitan Chronicles, #2)