Start by marking “When Light Left Us” as Want to Read:
When Light Left Us

When Light Left Us

When the Vasquez siblings’ father left, it seemed nothing could remedy the absence in their lives . . . until a shimmering figure named Luz appeared in the canyon behind their house.

Luz filled the void. He shot hoops with seventeen-year-old Hank’s hands. He showed fourteen-year-old Ana cinematic beauty behind her eyelids. He spoke kindly to eight-year-old Milo. But then Lu
Published February 13th 2018 by Bloomsbury USA Childrens

To ask other readers questions about When Light Left Us, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When Light Left Us

Kristen
May 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
Review can also be found on my blog, here: Kiwi Can Read

I was so stoked to receive a Net Galley e-arc of this book. This was one of my 2018 most anticipated releases. I read Leah Thomas' Because You'll Never Meet Me last year and LOVED it so much. It instantly became one of my favorite books of all time. I'm sorry to report that I can't say the same for this one.

The premise was so original and compelling, I thought for sure I would love it. I ended up getting so frustrated with this book, that I
georgia ☽
Feb 04, 2017 marked it as to-read
I WILL READ ANYTHING THAT LEAH THOMAS WRITES
Vicky Who Reads
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs, favorites, wishlist
5 stars

OH MY GOSH THIS BOOK.

I picked this up at my library in the uncatalogued section (where they have some ARCs) on a whim, and I regret nothing.

When I started reading it this Friday night, I knew nothing about it. I hadn't read the summary and I probably wouldn't have actually started if I didn't schedule this post weeks ago thinking I would read this book before then.

I wasn't sure what I was expecting--maybe something fake-poetic based on the vague-ness of the title, but it ended up not bein
Lindsey Lynn (thepagemistress)
Review and rating to come
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)

3.5*

This is a very... different sort of book. I mean, you see in the synopsis that Luz is an alien who is having an impact on this particular family. A huge impact, basically. But I'll let you read about that. Point is, an alien invading a family isn't your run of the mill story. Also, this alien is kind of an asshole.

The book started off in a bit of a confusing way, and I wasn't wholly
Sara (A Gingerly Review)
This book was an absolute struggle for me. STRUGGLE. Why? It was too wordy... as if Thomas was trying so hard to make this story magical and engaging. Was it? Not at all. It was hella confusing and I had no idea what was going on... It was simply trying to be a bigger story than what it was.

--------

Full review can be found here: https://agingerlyreview.wordpress.com...

**I received an ARC from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. Thank you to Bloomsbury for the opportunity!**

I’m sad to
Emily
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It's a little bit of bizarre premise if you're not into aliens but this book is SO GOOD and yeah there's an alien but even more so, it's about life and family and friends and trauma and loving yourself.

Read this book with a friend because you are going to need someone to talk about it with!! I was so sad when I reached the end because I didn't want to leave these characters!
Gabrielle Schwabauer
Apr 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book gets points for being completely unlike anything I have ever read.

I wasn't completely sold on all! the! exclamation! points! in Milo's sections, though I can understand why the author wanted to emphasize the louder and less contained nature of his thoughts. The pacing was a little weird in places. There were about two characters too many. And a few plot threads were just a little too neat.

But it was also creepy and haunting and genuinely moving in places. I loved watching the three sib
Suzanne (The Bookish Libra)
Erin
Feb 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved it. This isn't a perfect book, it's a little mangled as far as a time line goes with pre-Luz, Luz, post-Luz but I was racing near the end to get to the ending that had me welling up. Leah Thomas has found just a great blend of sci-fi and realism. I forgive this book for not being the next book in the Because You'll Never Meet Me series, it's really that good.
Alexa
Jul 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So I checked this out from the library and sat on it for a month and a half. And then I read it all in one day!

From the start you could feel how raw and hollowed out these characters felt and it was such a jolt to enter the story in the aftermath of what felt like a tragic loss, but without the details of what that loss was. Everything from the specific issues each of the three siblings was dealing with, paired with the way the chapters were titled and the glimpses of the recent past were SO GR
Kelly Gunderman
Feb 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc
Check out this, other reviews, and more fun bookish things on my young adult book blog, Here's to Happy Endings!

I honestly had no idea what I was expecting when I started reading When Light Left Us. I had read the synopsis, of course, and it kind of made me a bit more confused, and when I started the book, read through it, and finished it, I came out feeling puzzled about the whole thing.

Don't get me wrong, I did like When Light Left Us. I thought it was different and interesting, and kind of re
Shoshana
Holy shit, this book.

Hooooly shiiiiit.

Punched in the feels, over and over. In the best possible way.
Sureena
Mar 27, 2018 rated it did not like it
1.5* Such a pretty cover, such a disappointing book...
Okay, there was a lot of issues in this book and I'll do my best to articulate them properly in words, but that'll be hard because every time I think about this book I get angry.
First, basically, this book is about Hank, Ana, and Milo who's dad left and a few years later, some sort of "celestial" entity, Luz (Spanish for light) arrives and basically possesses them. For two months, he fills the void of their absent father but then he leaves t
Chiara
A copy of this novel was provided by Bloomsbury Australia for review.

Leah Thomas is hands down one of my favourite authors. I endlessly adore her first two books – Because You’ll Never Meet Me and Nowhere Near You – and now When Light Left Us has cemented her as one of the best authors in YA right now.

Each of Leah’s books hits you hard in the feels. The entire time I was reading When Light Left Us I felt like my heart was breaking. Each of the four POV characters – the three Vazquez siblings and
Vanessa
Aug 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars.

This was such an odd story, but not in a bad way? I'm always glad when something unique comes along these days and this is definitely the first family story not-so-hidden in a what-happens-after-an-alien-possessed-you-and-your-siblings book on my shelf!

RTC
Trisha
Images from this complicated, layered, grief-imbued story will stay with me.

Extraordinarily affecting.
Tori
Feb 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5!
Valerie
Jan 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Confusing start, but other than that this was totally a me book? Loved the characters.
Krista Stevens
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi, young-adult
See Kristen's two-star review.
avery-I-guess
This book is...weird. It definitely takes a lot of suspension of disbelief to read, and I don't know if I'd recommend reading it before bed if you're anything like me, but it's a fascinating piece of writing and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I might write a more comprehensive review later, but for now, here are some of the awesome things that the story includes:

-LGBT characters (I mean, it's Leah Thomas)
-AN OPENLY PAN PERSON
-a heavily autistic-coded kid who I definitely related to a ton
-kids with wei
Adele
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: found-for-others
I loved Thomas' first two books so much it makes it all the more disappointing that I didn't really even like this one. It was slow and dull for so long. The chapters from Milo's perspective were annoying. He's just a fictional character so I don't think it makes me a horrible person that I don't enjoy spending time with a weird little kid who over-uses exclamation points and is obsessed with things I have no interest in. Actually, I don't think it makes me a horrible person that I wouldn't enjo ...more
Teenreadsdotcom
Milo, Ana and Hank all know the first day that their lives fell apart --- the day that their father drove off into the desert sun and never came back. Ana and Hank know the second day that their lives fell apart --- when Luz, the light, the intangible alien, came into their lives. And they know the day that they finally realized it --- the day that he left. Now Hank can’t make a single basket, Ana can’t close her eyes and Milo can’t take off his headphones. This is the Vasquez family: broken and ...more
Kalena W
1 million stars/5 stars folks, get ready for a heartfelt review. This is one I call a TRUE five-star worthy book.

This book gave me so much joy as soon as I picked it up and was amazing enough to get me out of my reading slump. Every character is so neatly crafted, the plot is leisurely moving but enough to keep you interested, and the setting is beautifully described.

Adding onto the point of amazing writing is just the books connection to reality, and how it makes you feel. This book, while sci
Celia McMahon
Jan 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thank you Netgalley for the ARC!

This is a story of three siblings who get possessed, in a way by an alien parasite. Sounds simple, right?

Nope.

First off, this story is told by multiple POV's so if you're not into that, you can stop here. What I love about this is that you are seeing the story through different ages since the kids range from age seven to almost eighteen. And then you have the mother and the alien toward the end.

The story gave me a definite Spielberg vibe. We have three kids who ha
Liz
Jan 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
WOW. Any other 3-letter expletive is too insignificant to describe this book. The story line felt very fresh which meant I wasn't bored by anticipating what happens next. Every plot twist was unexpected and often refreshing. In a nutshell, an alien answering to the name Luz invades 3 siblings after they were abandoned by their father, causing them to have a traumatic summer and a very hard time coping in school the next fall. However, there are many thoughtful and kind characters in this book th ...more
Resch Reads
May 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
*Book Received in Exchange for Honest Opinion/Review*

Okay...truth because it's my blog and I do what I want, I didn't like this book. I read it out of sheer determination and it took me the past week to finish. So the story concept, I think is brilliant and unique. An alien appears and inhabits the body of siblings. What a refreshing and unique concept to the Young Adult book market, sign me up. The execution was a confusing mess, that left me lost in the story line, floundering between the mult
Kacey
May 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
For me, this is an incredibly fascinating novel that explores loss in a unique way. But it's not going to be for everyone. There are mentions of self-harm and there are characters who express racist and homophobic ideas. There are words like "faggot" and "retard" used in dialogue. I thought this was handled in the best way one can for the subjects, but every reader is subjective so leave it up to your discretion whether you still want to read after learning these things are in the book.

The story
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Mar 29, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: not-recommended
Thomas, Leah. When Light Left Us, 390 pages. Bloomsbury, 2018. $17.99. Language: R (122 swears, 46 “f”), Mature Content: R (homosexuality, self-harm), Violence: PG

Teenagers Hank and Ana, and their little brother Milo have never been the same since their father left with no explanation. Then, inexplicably, several years later, an entity enters the body of each sibling for two months. They refer to him as Luz which is Spanish for light. While it is there, it fills the void left by their father, bu
Mandi
So this book starts off really, really weird. Weird enough that about 30 pages in, I was almost concerned it would be a DNF. I couldn't follow what was going on individually with our three main characters Hank, Ana and Milo without hints of confusion. It felt disjointed, it felt a bit chaotic, and I felt like I had just walked into a movie half way through.

Then I buckled down and got through the first third of this book, and was glad I did.

The growth of these three siblings is so beautifully wr
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Date to Save
  • Miles Away from You
  • White Night
  • The Last Girl on Earth
  • I Am Out With Lanterns
  • Hell and High Water
  • The Wanderer's Tale (Annals of Lindormyn)
  • Indiscretion (Andalucian Nights, #1)
  • Flying Tips for Flightless Birds
  • A Soldier and a Liar
  • Girl in the Window
  • The Things We Promise
  • Jinxed (Book 1)
  • Vanilla
  • The Suffering Tree
  • Star vs. the Forces of Evil Star and Marco's Guide to Mastering Every Dimension
  • Run, Riot
  • Amelia Westlake
Leah Thomas once wrote from a house in the woods, and now an apartment more or less by the sea (well, less). Her debut novel BECAUSE YOU'LL NEVER MEET ME was a 2016 Morris Award finalist, and its sequel, NOWHERE NEAR YOU, is out now from Bloomsbury. Her third YA science fiction novel, WHEN LIGHT LEFT US, hit shelves this February.

A graduate of Clarion 2010, her short fiction has appeared in Asimo