Start by marking “Astounding!” as Want to Read:
Astounding!

Astounding!

Carter Evans is founder and editor-in-chief of Astounding!—a formerly popular spec fiction magazine currently in its death throes. Not only can he do nothing to save it, but stuck in a rathole apartment with few interpersonal connections, he can’t seem to do much to rescue his future either. And certainly all the booze isn’t helping. He snaps when he receives yet another t ...more
Published June 26th 2015 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about Astounding!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Astounding!

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
Astounding! is the name of this book. It's also the name of a science fiction magazine that Carter founded with his long-ago boyfriend, Freddy.

Now Freddy, married to nice guy Keith, is a well-known, wealthy book and screen writer, and Carter is broke, depressed, and on the verge of alcoholism. Freddy hasn't given up on Carter, but Carter has given up on himself.

In a fit of drunken rage, Carter writes a vitriolic rejection letter to one J. Harper, who keeps submitting crappy stories via snail mail about a
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
*3.5 stars*

Kim Fielding is one of my most consistent authors, and I know I can count on her for a well-written story. I don't think I've read a book from her that I haven't liked, and many I've loved to the point of obsession. She writes off-beat, interesting stories with atypical characters that stay with you long after the story is finished.

This was a sweet and simple sci-fi story about a al
Paul
Jul 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review
4.5 STARS

For a nice formatted view click here http://ontopdownunderbookreviews.com/...

I absolutely love it when Kim Fielding decides to go on yet another genre freestyling endeavour. I get chills when she does this.

Like so many of her other books you just never know what to expect. Its like oh, she’s chosen this genre, but what is she going to do with it? Whenever I read the blurb to one of Kim Fielding’s books and I get that excited itch begging to start between my shoulders, I know I have to get that book in
Heller
Jun 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
4.75

Damn you Kim Fielding. You made me cry.

An editor of a dying spec magazine and a guy who says he's an alien. I don't know what I expected but this exceeded whatever my meager imagination had lined up. It's a trippy little road trip story.

This story also touches on characters that I love from the Bones and Speechless universe as well as a memorable cameo with the characters from The Tin Box. My heart is full.

Kade Boehme
Jun 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really can't say enough good about Kim Fielding, but I'm pretty sure it says enough that I, hater of all fantasy and PRN, could not be more addicted to her story telling or her characters. I fell in love with John right alongside carter and was left just as breathless when they flew together. I can't give higher compliment than saying Ms Fielding is quite seriously the only non-contemporary author on my auto buy list.

This was fabulous. Def recommended.
John The Cosmic Wanderer
Jun 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, kim-fielding
As usual Kim delivers a wonderful! story! It was a bit slow on some parts but Carter and John are so good! together, especially John. He made me cry :(!. A feel good book with lovely! characters!

FYI: Tab Hunter - 1950's heartthrob :)

Kim
Jun 05, 2015 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
You know those spec fic pulp magazines? Like Amazing Stories, Azimov's Science Fiction, and Fantastic. They had those gorgeous covers and they published a lot of wonderful authors. They served as one of my inspirations for this book--and for Paul Richmond's beautiful cover. Add to that a road trip, a man who looks like Tab Hunter and claims to be an alien, and an editor down on his luck, and you've got Astounding! I hope folks enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it.
Jewel
Jun 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
"...it was -- is -- the most goddamn amazing thing that's ever happened to me. I don't have words for it. Nobody would. Not even you, Freddy. It was a revelation and a miracle and pure joy."

Astounding! is the first book by Kim Fielding that I've read and I'm wondering, right about now, what the hell took me so long? I loved this book! It was quirky and the characters were interesting and fun and the cover really reminds me of those old speculative fiction magazines from my childhood, which I very much loved.

Carter E
Ele
Jun 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal
*3.5 stars*

I liked this but it wasn't my favorite Kim Fielding book. This is entirely on ME. Although I'm more of a Contemporary kind of reader I devour the author's fantasy stories and that says a lot.

I liked the first half of the book a lot and it really sucked me in. But I'm really not a fan of sci-fi and especially stories with aliens, so I kind of struggled with the second half (which I suppose must be other readers' favorite part).

If Science fiction is your thing, this is a
Cory
Jun 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was excellent! John and Carter were so cute together (so were Freddy and Keith)!

I didn't really read the blurb so I wasn't 100% sure what it was about, but I absolutely love all things Kim Fielding so I didn't really care. Boy was I shocked as it wasn't anything that I expected.

From the cover I thought it was about two hot guys camping. How can that not be at least a 3 star read right? It was so much more.

John was absolutely adorable and now I really want
Tully Vincent
Jul 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
A fun and unusual read, with some nice touches of humor. The story drew me in very quickly and the characters were wonderfully drawn. Carter wasn’t perfect, had a bit of softness around the middle at the start and did some stupid things—in other words, someone very easy to relate to. And John was just so sweet, as well as strong and determined which we see later in the story. The sparks that flew between them was hot, but also tender and sweet. And at times, bittersweet, because C
llv
Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rating: 4 stars
I liked this book way more than I thought I would. It started a bit slow for me and I wasn’t sure I was going to like Carter as a character. Once he met John though, the story really picked up. I loved both Carter and John and loved their interactions together. I loved Carter’s ex-love and good friend Freddy and Freddy’s lover Keith. I really liked their road trip together. Made me want to rent an RV and explore the country. Overall, a really good story. I would love to read
Eugenia
Sep 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
RTC....sooooooo cute and sweet and a little heartbreaking with explosive alien star sex!!! Loved it!!! This is going on my comfort reads list!! HEA!
Lilia Ford
The title definitely fits this book which consistently surprises--deeply in the sense that the surprising aspects are mostly the exact opposite of those you'd expect in sci-fi (or any story) that aspires to be astounding! It's a strange, quiet fable about inspiration and hope and friendship and dreams and getting older, that seems to go out of its way to subvert almost all the usual drivers of plot, suspense, or even conflict, whether romantic or supernatural. The result is lovely and tender and ...more
Arch Bala
Truly astounding!
I can't at the genius that is Kim Fielding.
Beautiful characters, beautiful story and a visit from some of Ms. Fielding's other novels' amazing characters!
perfect is perfect!

thank you Kim Fielding for yet another wonderful piece!

5 astounding stars!

***
description

I wasn't aware of Tab Hunter and had to google him - ^^ shucks! ^^
Riina Y.T.
Kim Fielding is such a brilliant storyteller.

I don't know how to put it into words; it's solid and engaging and always feels so... mature, serious and yet funny in an endearing way.
Aղցela W.
Mar 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a pretty good read that I read for a challenge. Carter Evans is the founder and editor of the science fiction magazine Astounding! the magazine is weeks if not days away of going out of business. J. Harper keeps submitting his work even though it has been rejected numerous times. These two wound up meeting John is charming and awkward man who believes that he is an aliens are stranded on Earth. John can't be around computers or cell phones so he does entertainment without electricity wh ...more
Lauraadriana
Jul 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Unexpectedtly delightful and good. It should stop surprising me that Kim Fielding is this solid a writer.
Sonia ~Ruber's fiancé in Crystal Court universe~
STUNNING!!!! I adore this book! And Carter and John simply blew me away! This is a must read from Kim Fielding who continues to amaze with her wonderful writing.
Ami

I think I can always count on Kim Fielding to deliver a solid work -- her romance emphasizes on progress (both relationship and characters) and she never uses sex scenes as a device to lure more readers (which fits to my heart's content).

Astounding! is another example. It's a gentle and sweet story about two individuals who find out that 'home' could be defined into more than just a place where you're born or where you live. John Harper is a being from outer space, who is looking for a way/>
Meep
Sep 17, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi
Unfortunately I wasn't Astounded by this story. What started off interesting turned out to be highly under-whelming, nice to the point of blandness. One character is an editor and coins the phrase 'pancake' for the breakfast that follows sex at the end of the book - well this book felt like at least 50% filler with a huge serving of pancake!

Carter gives up alcohol and starts living, but as his cure is bouts of magical-alien-energy sex there's no feels there, nothing is worked through. John is
Dee Wy
Jul 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
What an interesting take on an alien/human romance. Most of such stories I've read take place in space, so having an alien come to earth was a nice change. The way the author focused on Carter at the beginning of the story was a great way to get to know him and his hopes and worries. Dare I say that he is a real "down-to-earth" kind of guy as he accepts the reality of his magazine reaching the end of it's run.

Meeting John, after Carter rejects his manuscript was the best thing that c
Chappy
Another wonderful book from Kim Fielding...this lady can do no wrong.

Carter was in a rut, big time. His spec-fic sci-fi magazine was going under, he was broke and drinking too much. An unfortunate event puts him in the path of a unique individual, John, and something wonderful happens. That's all I'm going to say....READ IT!!!!

Is it just me or do you get a George R.R. Martin vibe from Carter's friend Freddy. He's bearded, pudgy, a super popular author who's book are being
Barb ~rede-2-read~
I just finished this wonderful story by Kim Fielding and it was...(drum roll) ASTOUNDING! Couldn't resist that. Sorry.

What a great story, which started as contemporary, I thought, but turned out to be fantasy or sci-fi/futuristic. Confusion is mine.

In any event, it's a sweet love story featuring several MM couples, one of which is principal and really wonderful. Can't give the particulars in this review because it would have to contain spoilers but I can say that I admire this author's work, n
Christy
"That’s what they’d called the magazine from the very beginning—the baby. It had been born when they were a young couple, their hearts light with hope and optimism. But while Freddy’s career took off like a rocket, their relationship fizzled into friendship and the baby remained stunted and underfed. And now the baby was very close to dying completely."

When I read the description for 'Astounding!' by Kim Fielding, I got a flashback of the movie K-Pax with Kevin Spacey. This was not a bad thing, not
Molli B.
Nine times out of ten, I don't read a book's blurb before reading the book. I hate spoilers of all kinds. So I was kind of at a loss for the first maybe 1/4 of this book because I had no idea it was spec fic and I was wondering what the hell was going on. Haha. I've only read a couple of other Kim Fielding stories. The Downs and Speechless, and Speechless was not speculative at all—so I was out of my depth with that appears to be a regular sort of Kim Fielding thing.

Anyway, once I just gave in and stopped wor
Morgan  Skye
Jun 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Oh, Kim Fielding, How do I love Thee, Let me Count the Ways!

I was so psyched to see this was a longer book. Her latest books have been novella length and though wonderful and meaty, I really wanted them to keep going!

Carter is an older guy who is still the editor for an aging magazine called Astounding! It’s spec fic and has been slowly dying in the face of electronic media.

He started it with his ex, now a famous author in another relationship, and stories wri
Joyfully Jay
Jul 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sammy
A Joyfully Jay review.

5 stars

I loved this story. It was so much more than the idea that the downtrodden gets a new lease on life trope. Instead it was that realization that everything we do, however minor it may seem, sends out ripples on the pond that is our world. Those small waves affect so many others we will never see or know of and yet our impact remains the same. Astounding! is also a novel of hope and love and the idea that we can find that one person who seems to fit just so perfectly
Borderstar
I can’t quite decide how to rate this – which is actually my normal response to reading anything by Kim Fielding! There is something I really like about her writing and I always love the stories...but sometimes the writing is a little too...dreamy/sappy? I don’t think that’s quite conveying what I mean, but there is just something that is very slightly off for me.

Astounding is a fun, far-fetched read and I really did enjoy the story. I loved the premise, the characters were really sweet and I d
Linda ~ chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny ~
This is classic Kim Fielding, which means it's well-written, has engaging characters, lots of charm and fluffiness. It's a nice comfy read. The basic conflict set up was like Motel. Pool. though, so if you've read that one, this one doesn't really have the same impact. The third act also dragged out a little too long.

I didn't quite feel the chemistry between the MCs. Their relationship was sweet but it felt a little convenient how it got started. Their names didn't really help. Carte
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Dreamspinner Press: Astounding! by Kim Fielding 1 9 Jun 26, 2015 07:22PM

• Affiliations, Aliens, and Other Profitable Pursuits (Claimings, #3)
  • Stranded by Lies
  • Life is Awesome (Mnevermind #3)
  • Chaos Station (Chaos Station, #1)
  • Bone Rider
  • Song of the Navigator
  • Alien 'n' Outlaw (Galactic Alliance #2)
  • Gravitational Attraction
  • In Heaven and Earth
  • The Sentinel
  • Skythane (The Oberon Cycle, #1)
  • Laser Visions
  • The Degan Paradox  (Galactic Conspiracies #3)
  • A Chip In His Shoulder (Falling Sky, #1)
Kim Fielding lives in California and travels as often as she can manage. A professor by day, at night she rushes into a phone booth to change into her author costume (which involves comfy clothes instead of Spandex and is, sadly, lacking a cape). Her superpowers include the ability to write nearly anywhere, often while simultaneously doling out homework assistance to her children. Her favorite wor ...more