Start by marking “Guarded (The Silverton Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
Guarded (The Silverton Chronicles, #1)

Guarded

(The Silverton Chronicles #1)

When everyone's existence depends on the lies they tell, trust doesn't come easy.

Ivy’s neighbors have a secret. They aren’t human. But Ivy has a secret, too. She knows. As long as everyone keeps quiet, she’s happy working as a P.I. by day and chillaxing with her BFF Florian, a vampire, by night. When a routine pickup drops her in the middle of a murder, her two worlds
Hardcover, First, 276 pages
Published June 26th 2015 by Smart Heart Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Guarded, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Guarded

Start your review of Guarded (The Silverton Chronicles, #1)
Gillian Murrell
Sep 02, 2016 rated it liked it
2.5 I really like the idea for the story but could not stand Ivy, She would say one thing and act the opposite. I am tempted to read the next book in the hope the author improves Ivy's character who is far to whiney in this one. Florian what can i say right from the start i thought he was Gay maybe I'm wrong but by the end i felt like the possibility was being shoved in my face just incase i had not picked up on that vibe all the way through.
Laura Thomas
Aug 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a blast. You have humans, vampires, werewolves, fae, demons and so on, all butting heads. There’s so much going on. So many different agendas. And a whole lot of surprises in store for you.

And then there’s the characters. too many to focus on just one or two. I can say that I really liked the friendship between Ivy and Florian. They are so opposite. Florian is a guy and he’s more concerned with fashion than a lot of women, whereas Ivy is all business. As things get going, they all
Natali
Sep 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Guarded by Carmen Fox will draw you in from the first pages

I just love, love, love phantasy stories with some erotic elements mixed in (always a bonus). I won’t go into plot details or even character descriptions as you have to read this story for yourself. I will say that I’m so glad I picked out this book! It’s a real page-turner and you’ll definitely spend a few relaxing evenings with it. Steamy scenes throughout the story will keep you entertained and wanting more.
This author did a wonderful
Lindsey
Aug 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This read is truly one of a kind. Not only is it loaded with mystery, but the characters are interesting and lots of fun. I can't describe how refreshing it is to read about a heroine who is strong and independent. Without question, however, my favorite element about this book is the humor. This author had me laughing right from the start and the quick-witted dialogue was genuinely entertaining. Overall, I highly recommend this one for fans of paranormal mysteries.
Jeanie
Jul 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
"Guarded" by: Carmen Fox

First of all I want to say that I really loved the cover of this book. I liked the simplistic lines and bright colors. It was a significant reason for me choosing this book to read.

This storyline is not necessarily an "off the beaten path" tale but does incorporate a multitude of paranormal characters and an intertwining plot that keeps you intrigued and interested until the end of the story. A 25 year old female Private Investigator that has been raised as a "normal"
Sadie Forsythe
1.5
Sigh, mechanically the writing and editing in this book seem fine. Unfortunately, in my opinion the plot is totally useless. The book is all over the place, but more to the point, I hated it.

As a romance it fails on SO MANY levels. Let me put it like this. She has a condition that after her 25th birthday (because apparently magic knows your b-day, y'all) she literally lusts after every man she sees, even though she actively doesn't want to. She then goes on to try and date one man, have sex
Nicole
Jul 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My Review: 4 stars: A fun story that will keep you guessing

A sort of summary of events: This story is about Ivy, who thinks she is just a human private investigator. However, when she turns 25, things start to change, and she discovers she has been protected from the truth. She has the ability to identify creatures of the multiple species of kin. She had been held captive in Alethia (the magical otherworld where some pretty bad creatures live), and it has haunted her since her escape. The more
Rê
Carmen Fox has done it again, people! If you haven’t read her other book, Divide & Conquer, then I don’t know what you’re waiting for. Go get it!

Guarded is just as (or even more) entertaining as her debut.

The MC, Ivy, was a badass. No sitting and crying while other people got things done. She was the one taking care of things, and I loved how she reminded me of Veronica Mars at times. Ivy was also extremely funny and sexy. I enjoyed all her interaction with the boys. The girl had great
Susan
Aug 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: loved-it
I found myself drawn into this fascinating world from the very beginning. Ivy is a PI with a secret, she can tell who is paranormal and who is not. Even her bff, Florian, who is a vampire, doesn't know this secret. When a job goes wrong, Ivy suddenly finds herself in need of help. As I don't want to spoil the surprises, I am going to keep this review very short.....Amazing! Ivy is a fabulous character who is intent never to be dependent on any man, be they human, vampire, werewolf or demon. She ...more
Gina Hader
Jul 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is simply the best book of the year so far. The chemistry is hot, the plot is complex, and I love the characters. I bought the paperback last month because I liked the cover. Shallow, yeah, but it's really good. The writing is astounding. It's kind of unique and deeply immersive, but you need to pay attention. The ending surprised me twice, so that was good too. The author does not sell it as a romance, but I think it kind of is. Just not the usual romance-by-numbers. The same goes for the ...more
Barbara Collins
May 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
first time reading this author and I am not able to put down the book.. bought for my Kindle e-reader for $.99
I'm hoping that I can get the second book to read from this series..5 stars
Maghon Thomas
Yes!! I loved this one. I'm seriously pumped to see where the next book will go, too, but I'm getting ahead of myself. :) There's so many fun things about this book, the plot of demons staging chaos, suspense with things trying to kill you, learning about yourself especially the things you never knew, romance, some very interesting side characters. All wrapped up with a little magic in some guards. This book had it all and I am glad to say I was quite surprised with how things are turning out, ...more
Emily Pennington
Jul 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Ivy is a private investigator. Her neighbor, Parker Reeves, catches her taking pictures in the park and thinks the camera was aimed at him. It wasn’t and he stalked off, giving her a stern warning not to take pictures of him. We are given hints that Ivy is more than just a “normal” person; so is Parker. Later we meet her BFF Florian, who is a vampire. Magic is in the air! Let the fun begin!!

Ivy checked her mail and shakily read a letter from Lathan, her former demon captor whom she had escaped
Alysha
Jul 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Phenomenal read by a phenomenal writer...

I received this ARC in exchange for an honest review. This story is definitely not for anyone under the age of 18.
I am beyond excited that I got to read this. Let me just start by saying that Carmen Fox is one of the best writers I've seen in a long time. There were close to no grammatical errors in the entire story. This has been extremely uncommon in most stories that I've read lately. Major bonus for me.
As for the story it was such a great story. It
Jenny
Sep 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Kelly Lynn
Sep 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An Excellent supernatural mystery thriller!!

If you love stories about vampires, werewolves and demons, then you must read this book. It starts with what with Ivy who seems to be a typical human girl who has a vampire best friend. When she starts uncovering her heritage, she finds out she much more than a typical human girl. This book has a lot of suspense, steamy scenes and humor. The author does an excellent job incorporating everything together that makes this book really enjoyable. The
SiKReviews
Jul 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Ivy never knew there was a world out there beyond human. That is until she was kidnapped by a Kinlord determined to make her his. Luckily, she escaped with knowledge and the ability to know more about the Kin. Now, she is working as a PI. Once she is assigned a task of collecting an ugly statue, her life changes yet again.

A love triangle, kidnappings, and more. There is a lot that is needed to be learned in this book. about this new world created by Ms. Fox. My mind kept working to find out "Who
Megan Schiffour
Jul 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
I was actually surprised by this book and really didn't think I would like it. I absolutely despise love triangles and this book took it a full step farther. Three men, one woman? But thank God it followed the normal book romance and she ended up with the right guy!

I do find Ivy to be a bit petulant and her attitude pissed me off on more than one occasion. The jump headlong into trouble time after time despite multiple people being willing to help. She also randomly trusts certain people with a
Colleen Lowe
Aug 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
‘Guarded’ was one of those stories that is the perfect mixture of urban fantasy, the paranormal and mystery. I loved Ivy, who is a quintessential strong character who finds herself in the middle of a complicated array of people and problems. Put it all together, and you have a truly engaging read in Carmen Fox’s first book in the Silverton Chronicles series.

I thought Fox did a great job of blending action with intrigue and building complex characters with diverse backgrounds and motivations
T.
Dec 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Okay, I admit this one was a little simplistic, insomuch as the heroine had really convenient things happen which saved her on more than one occasion, but I have to say, the author pulled the plot together so well, I was willing to overlook some of the stuff I normally would roll my eyes over. Good characters and a fast pace kept the story moving forward, even when I wanted to kick Ivy's butt for not being able to decide between her pick of men. The bad guy was fairly obvious, but there was ...more
Holly
Nov 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read

All in all an enjoyable read. There was a point where it went from normal to raging hormones super quick which really threw me off guard, and it took me a minute to catch up, but the author made it work. The ending just about had me throwing my kindle against the wall, but Ivy came to her senses and ended up with the guy I felt she belonged with. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of this series but really hope it goes back to being with Ivy as the main character. Which don't get
P Bee
Sep 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Once you're introduced to Ivy and all the wonderful, crazy characters that inhabit her world, you're hooked and you can't stop turning the page. Guarded was a book that was recommended to me and I took a chance on it. I was not disappointed. The world that Carmen Fox has created for her characters to inhabit is a little scary and a little dark and it's balanced with a lot of humor and some exciting adventure.

I loved this book. It's a well-written, paranormal suspense book filled with characters
Jenn Wood
Sep 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
I am an avid fan of these kinds of reads. When I was given the opportunity to read this story, I jumped at the chance. I wasn't disappointed. This story is intriguing, suspenseful, and will keep you guessing at the turn of the page. I love stories that have an in-depth story line, allowing me to exercise my brain by keeping track of the characters, plot, and the twists that inevitably occur. I thoroughly enjoyed this story, and would definitely recommend it!
Tia
Sep 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent Book

There's so much that goes on in this book. There's secrets, betrayals, friendships, trust and fighting. Ivy is fielding her way through obstacles and interesting twists while learning more about who she is and what happened in her past. She a bit damaged, a bit lonely and able to take care of herself but you wouldn't know it by the way others treat her. Great characters and intriguing storyline.
JP
Sep 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Thought this book was great! And I wouldn't consider myself a huge fan of the supernormal (twilight whizzed right by me) but I thought this was well done, the mixing in of demons, vampires, werewolves, and other supernatural forms such as our protagonist. I especially like Ivy's emerging traits and confess I am quite looking forward to finding out what her powers are (her dad locked them until she was 21 but apparently they haven't been activated). And who can resist a love story?
Finestra
Aug 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Better than most. If you're not one for beautiful, but sometimes complicated sentences, don't even try. This is clever writing for clever people, and if you pick up the book, you won't put it down again until you've fallen in love with all the characters and the mystery is solved. And you'll never guess all the twists.

Read it. Read it now.
Sanaa
Sep 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I will honest with you, I had doubts before starting it. Carmen was a new author for me, and I hardly entertain any new author unless it is from a big publication house. Anyway I picked guarded on a hunch, and oh boy was surprised? Yes, very pleasantly! Everything from narration, character building and pace is top notch, which is exactly what makes a novel worth reading.
Stacy Gallina
Oct 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just perfect

This is the first book that I have read from this author. Although, the book was not deep or enlightening, I found it to be enjoyable and perfect for what I was looking for. The book flowed perfectly keeping me entertained while also throwing in some twists. I really look forward to the next book.
Kelli
Sep 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I decided to take a chance on a new author I'd never heard of to beta read for her, and man, was I happy I did. Her writing is excellent and the storyline was very creative. The characters were easy to relate to and very enjoyable to read about. She is definitely one I'll be keeping my eye on.
Lynn Jordan
Sep 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a sexy, intriguing urban fantasy that you don't want to miss. It may confirm all your ideas about the residents of California. Life there isn't what you thought it was (or maybe you suspected this all along).
Making Connections: 3846. GUARDED by Carmen Fox 5 16 Jun 21, 2015 08:00PM

• Warrior Fae Trapped (Warrior Fae, #1)
  • Bride of the Demon King (Destined Enchantment #1)
  • Shadow Hunter (Rosie O'Grady's Paranormal Bar and Grill, #1)
  • Two Witches and a Whiskey (The Guild Codex: Spellbound, #3)
  • A Torn Paige (Hidden Kingdom Trilogy #1)
  • Alpha (Ghost Mountain Wolf Shifters, #1)
  • Heart (Ghost Mountain Wolf Shifters, #2)
  • Demon Ember (Resurrection Chronicles, #1)
  • Dragon's Egg (Dark Streets #2)
  • Meow (Catnip Assassins, #1)
  • The Alpha's Oracle (The Oracle #1)
  • Grit (7th and Main, #3)
  • Breakeven (Verdant String, #2)
  • Magic Fury (Half-Blood Academy, #3)
  • Dragon Mystics (Supernatural Prison #2)
  • The Fox's Curse (Crow Investigations, #3)
  • Forever Wolf (The Legend of All Wolves, #3)
  • Control of Five (Origins of the Six #2)
Carmen lives in the south of England with her beloved tea maker and a stuffed sheep called Fergus. An avid reader since childhood, she caught the writing bug when her Nana asked her to write a story.

For details on Carmen's work, visit her website at www.carmen-fox.com.

The Silverton Chronicles (2 books)
  • Bound (The Silverton Chronicles, #2)