Start by marking “642 Tiny Things to Write About” as Want to Read:
642 Tiny Things to Write About

642 Tiny Things to Write About

Write your life story in five sentences! From the creators of 642 Things to Write About Journal comes this small, compact, exclusive version. Housing 642 outrageous and witty writing prompts, both big and small, it’s perfect for writers who need a tiny flash of inspiration.
Published July 7th 2015 by Chronicle Books

Start your review of 642 Tiny Things to Write About
Ingrid
Jan 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
A lot of fun and creative prompts! But there are some suggestions (like what is the worst thing that can happen to you?) which I pretend to answer for someone else (ask yourself, what would a toothless shark answer? et voila), that way you make the challenge even bigger :)
Mel
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
Eh, it's better than a kick in the head.

A lot of the prompts assume greater universality in human experience than there is--write about your first car! write about the first bed you bought! write about something that happened to you when you were traveling abroad!

And then a lot of them are just pretty stupid, even nonsensical. "A man lives alone and owns only one place setting. Who does he meet?"

I employed this book as part of my Dorothea Brande program of taking a micro-break at work to write,
Ilze
May 30, 2017 rated it it was ok
What started out as a good idea in 642 Things to Write About, began to peter out in 712 More Things to Write About and completely lost its substance in this volume. There is hardly any space to move if you have a large handwriting and the prompts often start at one end of the page with an ellipse to connect them. What makes matters worse, is some pages are quartered, leaving enough room for you to fill in a single word. The times I've taken this book along to keep me occupied at a restaurant, have ende ...more
Phoebe
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was ok
These books always start out ok and I do them to try to encourage creativity, but it just gets to a point where I'm forcing myself to do it. There were loads I didn't understand.
Lindsey Snyder
Feb 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Fun little writing prompts to interrupt boredom and monotony!
Jessica Emily
Aug 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have been through and marked all the ideas I am planning to use with students in my creative writing club.
Nozomi
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a cute inspiring book :)
Julie
Dec 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: writing
A great collection of little writing prompts. You can use them to jump off and write something longer or you can simply use the small spaces provided to keep yourself in practice and get your writing juices flowing. Some just ask for one word, such as your least favorite word, or a brief list of words, such as naming nail polishes. Some may be harder for the younger writer like writing about a food court in 1987, but there are 642 to choose from so there's really something for everyone. A great ...more
Tracey
Feb 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
Between this one and the drawing book, this one is definitely my favorite. I often times find myself wanting to write but having nothing come to mind. This little pocket book takes care of that for you. No more writer's block. The simple, absurd, and random prompts will have you writing like a maniac. At least with me it has. I can't wait until it's completely filled.
Izabela
May 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This mini-sized writing prompt/journal is as fun and interesting as its predecessors. Filled with a multitude of prompts that range from funny to thought-provoking, this book is the perfect size to take on the go. Writer's block got you down? Pull out your secret weapon and let creation commence!
Caitlin Simm
Jul 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is awesome to be able to flick to a random page and fill the page(s) in. I haven't finished but I'm putting it on my reading challenge along with four other similar books. I bought three of them from the Auckland University Book Shop after my last exam.
Charity
Aug 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Cute and entertaining little writing prompts. Love that it is small enough to fit in my purse. Great for pushing through writer's block.
Laurie
Dec 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
Saw this at an independent bookstore on my vacation and was roped in by the ingenuous writing prompts. Shared it at writing group on Monday -- what fun!
Liz
Jan 02, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• I Am Here Now: Field Notes for a Curious and Creative Mind
  • 642 Things to Write About
  • Happy: Finding joy in every day and letting go of perfect
  • The Norse Myths
  • This Book Will Make You Happy
  • George's Marvellous Medicine
  • Five Go Parenting (Enid Blyton for Grown Ups)
  • Five Give Up the Booze
  • Quiet: Learning to silence the brain chatter and believing that you’re good enough
  • Five Minutes in the Morning: A Focus Journal