Start by marking “Almost Everything Very Fast” as Want to Read:
Almost Everything Very Fast

Almost Everything Very Fast

Albert is nineteen, grew up in an orphanage, and never knew his mother. All his life Albert had to be a father to his father: Fred is a child trapped in the body of an old man. He spends his time reading encyclopedias, waves at green cars, and is known as the hero of a tragic bus accident. Albert senses that Fred, who has just been given five months left to live, is the on ...more
Published February 2nd 2016 by Graywolf Press (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Almost Everything Very Fast, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Almost Everything Very Fast

David
Oct 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ambrosial.

Fun. Sad. Romantic. Horrors. Endearing. And a great yarn.

This book reminds me a lot of the Scandinavian books like “The Hundred Year Old Man” and “Ove”. This road story has a message and the ride is enjoyable too.

19-year old Albert wants to find his mother. His father Fred is dying and because of his developmental condition, can’t tell him. His father would rather stand along the roadside and count green cars or read his encyclopedia. Time is running out and Albert has to be resourcefu
Donia Al-Issa
Nov 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
I actually had the privilege to meet the Author. He did a reading in English and in German, and answered my questions and signed my book.
The author answered one of my question by saying "Sometimes authors have no idea how the story will end", and it made me realize that the author is along the same ride as the reader the first time they enter the story.
This book was so incredible. Such an interesting story, so suspenseful! It was so hard to put down, and when I did, it was to let it sink in.
Aa
Mainlinebooker
Jan 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: literary-fiction
I am grateful to have won this German translated book from Goodreads for an honest review. This quirky book is really hard to categorize and describe;it is unlike anything I have read before. Albert is raised in an orphanage but has a father who is mentally deficient and unable to care for him. When he turns 19, he leaves the orphanage to administer care to his own father who is only given five months to live. As they undertake a journey through the past to discover the true identity of his moth ...more
Brent
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great !

Daniel
Sep 04, 2018 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this coming of age novel which was a fairly quick read with a nice balance of intrigue, sadness, and joy. An interesting array of very flawed characters who are all trying to go about somewhat normal lives. The book read a bit like the curious incident of the dog in the nighttime and a Robertson Davies novel with all the narratives tying together nicely at the end.

3.5
Chris
Jul 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Albert lives in an orphanage because his father, Fred, has the mind of a child. And the one thing that Albert pines for, his mother, is only one of the things that Fred can't remember.

As Albert and Fred search for Albert's mother, history reveals multigenerational longings, loves, and pain, and takes the reader on a father and son journey like no other.
Wendy Lovatt
Nov 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Very interesting...liked some parts, didn't like others. Each character was wonderfully portrayed...felt like you really knew them.
Karen
Oct 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a sweet book. Original, and I did not guess the ending. It's also nice for its very caring portrayal of intellectual disability.
Diane Ferbrache
Jul 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Albert was raised in an orphanage, unsure of his parents, but remarkably close to a developmentally disabled man called Fred. Fred is an old man now and facing the end of his life. Albert (at 19) is too old to live at the orphanage any longer, so he goes to live with Fred. Albert is hoping to learn more about his (Albert's) family. He's sure the mystery is trapped inside Fred's brain and Albert is hoping to learn what Fred knows.

This is a sweet story of friendship, love, devotion, and secrets. A
Kasa Cotugno
Oct 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
What to make of this book? Told in two intertwining stories which reach a satisfying conclusion, there are many side trips and characters with stories within the story to make it rich. Since this is a translation, there may be jokes and references that are missed by an English-reading audience, but one in particular had me laugh out loud. On a plane. Cohabitation between siblings plays a part in the narrative, despite the danger of producing a "kloble," which when googled, proves to be a search ...more
Fragmentage
Ich war unheimlich gespannt auf dieses Buch und hatte schon sehr viele gute Meinungen dazu gehört und gelesen. Vielleicht zu viele, denn ich hatte wohl ziemlich hohe Erwartungen.
Ganz kurz und knapp: "Meistens alles sehr schnell" ist hervorragend geschrieben und spannend zu lesen. Der Erzählstrang um Albert und Fred war richtig klasse - einfühlsam, authentisch und humorvoll. Der hat mir richtig viel Spaß gemacht. In der in Rückblenden erzählten Geschichte über Albert und Freds Herkunft (erinnert
Melissa
Jun 29, 2016 rated it liked it
To start, there was a lot that I enjoyed about this book. Particularly learning about Albert and tagging along on his quest to learn more about his past and specifically his mother. I had a hard time relating to his relationship with Frank but I wanted to see how that developed as well, after they were forced to spend so much time together. I found the flashbacks a little tedious (in content and length) but they were necessary to the story. I did finish this and I will admit I was surprised as t ...more
Little
Mar 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Strange and original. Kloeble writes two separate narratives which come together at the end of the book. Both narratives are excellent stories. The part where they meet up illuminates and enriches both. Hooray for a literary device too many people are butchering used well for a change!

There's a mystery at the heart of the novel that is answered in a way both satisfying and unexpected. I was charmed and intrigued by the whole book.
Krystle Garrison
Feb 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
i received this from a goodreads giveaway. I really enjoyed this novel! its something i normally wouldn't read, but i really ended up loving the novel. i liked how the two stories came together. one story was present the other was in the past. i loved the characters. Fred was my favorite character from this novel. great read definitely recommending this to me friends!!!
Laura Valentine
Feb 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Wasn't sure about this at first, but the story of Fred and Albert grew on me. And as the second plot line started to move towards the present and explain who these people all were and what shaped them, more of this made sense yet the ending felt a little forced. Otherwise it'd have been a five star.
Sandy Lenahan
If you had told me I'd be enjoying a German translation about an orphan searching for his past, a father who doesn't understand how to be a father, an incestuous relationship and a trunk of Most Beloved Possession I'd tell you no flippin way but surprisingly I am!?! Who knew
Christel
Sep 10, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Leider geht hier gar nichts schnell, der Autor ist zu verliebt in seine ziemlich schrulligen Figuren. Je weiter die Geschichte zurückreicht, desto überdrehter wirkt das Ganze.
Emily
May 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Best novel I've read in a long time. Sweet, authentic, mysterious, and translated from German (cool!)
Doris
May 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Feel sorry for Albert. EVERYTHING that has led up to this story has been a disaster. Kinda saw the end coming, kinda didn't.

Albert, wherever you are, I hope you have a good life. :)
Robert
Jul 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Quirky
Richard Migicovsky
Jan 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
I had to push through this book. In general, it did not hold my attention.
Dolores
Feb 13, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Wasn't very impressed with it, so I quit reading it.
Scoutaccount

• Eagles and Angels
  • Laufen. Essen. Schlafen. Eine Frau, drei Trails und 12700 Kilometer Wildnis
  • Tiepolo Pink
  • The Huaca
  • Mord im Zeichen des Zen (Louise Boni, #1)
  • Wenn's einfach wär, würd's jeder machen
  • Cave Canem (Felidae, #3)
  • Life is a Dream