Start by marking “Blackass” as Want to Read:
Blackass

Blackass

3.34  ·  Rating Details ·  1,132 Ratings  ·  208 Reviews
Furo Wariboko, a young Nigerian, awakes the morning before a job interview to find that he's been transformed into a white man. In this condition he plunges into the bustle of Lagos to make his fortune. With his red hair, green eyes, and pale skin, it seems he's been completely changed. Well, almost. There is the matter of his family, his accent, his name. Oh, and his blac ...more
Published March 1st 2016 by Graywolf Press (first published July 9th 2015)

Cindy
I read this book because I am trying to read new releases for 2016 and because the premise of the book really intrigued me. The main character, Furo wakes up one morning at his home in Lagos to find out he is white, except for his ass which remained black. I really wanted to see where Barrett was going to take this premise, spoiler alert: nowhere interesting.

The idea for the book while unique was not thoroughly executed. There are so many places Barrett could have taken this plot but we were mo
Adam Dalva
Apr 19, 2017 Adam Dalva rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fascinatingly propulsive Kafka parody that doesn't pause for a second - the fundamental concept, a body switch with a titular twist, feels expected, but Barrett accomplishes a great deal with his local writing about Nigeria. I've always liked string-of-coincidence novels in which a character keeps on falling up, and this never stopped being fun or sharp.

I was less convinced of the novel's gender politics (the female characters are all either fairly angelic or awful), and the transgender twist i
Dami Ajayi
There are several ways to read Blackass: as a satirical novel about decolonization; as a contemporary novel that maps modern Lagos and, by extension, Nigeria; as a contemporary novel about social media, alter egos and the subtle transformations they bring about in us; as a post-modern novel blurring the lines between fiction and reality; as a retelling of Kafka’s The Metamorphosis in contemporary Lagos. - See more at: http://www.olisa.tv/2015/07/29/fake-o...
Rebecca
Aug 25, 2015 Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After setting off with a great start, the journey stalls because the black man turned white is a shallow character, and this doesn't change throughout the tale. but given the opportunity to exploit others, using his white skin, that's exactly what Furo does. It's a tale of prejudice and the power white skin confers, and the ease with which white men exploit their skin color to secure sex, money and career development.. and of course the willingness with which many Africans are willing to let whi ...more
Vegantrav
Mar 08, 2016 Vegantrav rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Furo, a 33-year-old, unemployed Nigerian man who still lives at home with his parents and younger sister, wakes up one morning to find that he has experienced a Kafkaesque transformation: he is an oyibo, a white man. Mystified and frightened of what his family will think, he runs away from home before they can see him.

And thus begins Furo's journey to find himself and his place now as a white man who speaks like a native-born Nigerian in Nigeria's preeminent city, Lagos.

Blackass is more than ju
Jamise
Jan 26, 2016 Jamise rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-reads
Rating 2.5
I don't know what to say about this book. I had high hopes but it just wasn't for me. Although there were some metaphoric themes scattered here and there, overall I felt it was a bunch of words that went no where.

The premise of Furo, a young Nigerian man waking up to discover that he's now white however his "ass" remains black sounded intriguing but the story fell flat. Although Furo believes his whiteness will afford him many special opportunities in Lagos, he soon learns that being
Greg Zimmerman
Jan 21, 2016 Greg Zimmerman rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this, as much for living in Lagos for a few days as for the satire.
Caecilia Saori
The idea for the story is very unique. But overall, it has left too many questions open for my taste. At times, I found the author touched various storylines while I would have preferred one straight-forward attempt, focusing on Furo only. All in all, it was a bit of a challenging read, but it did not touch me as much as I had hoped.
Mina
Feb 22, 2016 Mina rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
i love the fact that this book is not written for non-nigerians, that the rich language and textures are not explained. there is no shortage of great dialogue. however the story is not plausible and there are too many holes to ignore. the ending didnt resolve the story and too many characters, interesting yet aimless, spoiled the broth. great idea marred by a shaky execution.
Battameez
Barrett's satirical debut novel has been described as the "Nigerian spin on Kafka's Metamorphosis", which is not untrue--the protagonist, a Nigerian Kalamari man Furo Wariboko wakes up as a white man, and eventually re-makes himself as 'Frank Whyte'--but this sharp novel does diverge from Kafka's Metamorphosis in many ways, enough to say that while Barrett uses the basic premise, Furo is no Gregor Samsa.

Furo wakes up in this strange body, goes for a job interview and finds doors opening for him
Read In Colour
May 08, 2015 Read In Colour rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It reminded me a lot of Franz Kafka's The Trial & The Metamorphis, along with Nikolai Gogol's The Nose, which means I read a lot of Russian lit and perhaps the author does too. It was enjoyable right up until the end. I was a bit confused by the protagonist's last decision, not enough that a sequel is needed, but an explanation would be great.
Soren
Mar 03, 2016 Soren rated it it was ok
I enjoyed this book, but found it a bit underwhelming. I definitely enjoyed being immersed in the vibe of Lagos, and I liked the writing style. I just didn't walk away feeling like the gimmick was adequately explored. It holds up, but it could have been a lot better.
Alyson
Mar 05, 2016 Alyson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Aside from the main character (you know, the one with the black ass) being kind of an asshole, this book was really good. It's narrative flits between our title character and another person he meets on his 2nd day of being white, someone who is going through their own personal transformation. This sort of parallel story is a great lens in which to view Furo's journey (and vice-versa, which is probably the way you are supposed to).

When Furo wakes up as a white man on the morning of a job intervi
Ifeoma  Ezenwere (CoalCityGirl)
What happens when you wake up one day to another skin colour? To another race! what changes for you?
BlackAss is the story of main character, Furo Wariboko, a thirty three years old Nigerian Male, who wakes up one morning to find himself a white man! The text is set in present day Lagos, Nigeria; and follows the life of Wariboko, as he wakes up to this change. It explores majorly the idea of racial superiority, stereotypes, gender classification, identity crisis, and the woman question.
In a way,
Olubukola
I like this story. It's an experiment in "otherness". It does not pretend to be what it's not; it's so straightforward, it's startling.

As I think of Furo Wariboko, victim-of-a-strange-circumstance-turned-master-manipulator, I remember the quote that says, "Character is revealed under pressure/in a crisis".
P D
Aug 26, 2016 P D rated it really liked it

Every review of this book proclaims how it's a sharp social commentary, and reading those I was like, 'no shit...it's a book about a black man who suddenly turns white'—but in fact there's a subtler, more incisive point to be made about gender and sex. Of course, the perception of whiteness, and in particular of a white man who can walk the walk/talk the talk of a native Nigerian is there, but there's also Furo's—the protagonist's—reliance on a woman who is the mistress of a wealthy man
Temilade Adebiyi

Furo Wariboko woke up and he had turned white. Naturally, I feel the need to ask why? Here’s an unemployed 33-year-old university graduate still living in his parent’s home, he’s understandably struggling with self-esteem issues and so on; but why turn white? Well, you won’t find your answer here. The author tells us to take it or leave it, he turned white. End of story. Let’s move on.

Furo definitely doesn’t waste any time moving on, 2 hours into his transformation and he’s already reaping the b

Joyce
Jun 13, 2016 Joyce rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
What a unlikable protagonist! Furo is selfish, shallow, and a bit of an asshole and has no redeeming qualities. Which makes me not very interested in him as a character. As many other reviewers here have mentioned, this novel has a great premise but it seems like a good idea gone to waste. I had hoped the novel would (view spoiler) ...more
Lade Tawak
When I read the synopsis of this book, I was eager to read it to see where the story would go. On reading it, I was disappointed.

The book started out well. Furo's was an interesting character at first. Then it started going all over the place. Too much happened in the book and story felt flat. I really hoped it would pick up, so I continued to struggle through it. I got to the end and was annoyed that I made myself struggle through it.

The Twitter bits annoyed me and slowed me down because I had
Jun 18, 2016 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great satire on race, identity and life in Nigeria told through this riff on The Metamorphosis by Kafka. From the time Faro wakes up as a black man who has inexplicably become a white man through the last page of the book he is trying to both shape his new place in the world and scrub all traces of his old standing. It's written almost at a thriller pace as he tries to build a new life out of nothing and all the manipulation that goal implies. Within that story, though, are all the rich details ...more
Laolu
Aug 19, 2016 Laolu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enter your review (optional)A Very Nigerian book masterfully written. Now, while Furo Wariboko wasn't an exciting character through and through, the rich narratives of almost every other character more than made up.( Its a book set in a Lagos, of course characters are almost always going to have rich narratives)

Oh and did the book seem to have an unnerving thirst for intricate descriptions of anything and everything?

The Infusion of Twitterverse, Igoni's (sudden) transformation, Furo's unbelievab
Erik
Apr 16, 2016 Erik rated it liked it
I ordered this book because the premise interested me - the story of a young Nigerian who awakes one morning to find himself white. It was a satire about race, but one that didn't feel the need to hammer you by overdoing it. Though I've read reviewers that feel otherwise, I liked that the story didn't really conclude and tie up the loose ends, but rather just leaves us wondering how everything will work out. I was also really intrigued by the narration of the book, as it changed between
Martha Tomhave
Apr 04, 2016 Martha Tomhave rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a wild book! Furo Wariboko is a black Nigerian who wakes up white, except for his 'blackass,' as the title says. He spends the book having adventures with his new racial identity, in getting jobs, choosing languages, meeting women, trying to whiten his ass, and just walking down the street. Interestingly, going back to being black is not an option for him, and also interestingly, one of the characters has the same name as the author. The book dwindles at its conclusion - the author didn't s ...more
Susana
Mar 18, 2016 Susana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Una gran premisa que se queda en el aire: un tipico joven nigeriano, - desempleado, inmerso en la pobreza, desesperado por una oportunidad -, despierta un día como un hombre blanco y comienza a disfrutar de los beneficios y poder que eso supone en Nigeria, ¿discriminación a la inversa?

Tantos caminos interesantes que pudo tomar el libro, pero el personaje principal resulta poco atractivo;: egoísta, explotador, machista y cada días "más blanco"

Un final abierto que no cierra y no convence. Me recue
Domonique
Jul 29, 2016 Domonique rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was an interesting story, to go to bed one thing, wake up another and have to figure out to your life essentially reborn as someone else. The privileges and advantages that Furo received when he beat white man were amazing;the way people treaty him and behaved towards him in was a lot different than his black counterparts. He was viewed as better and more qualified because of his skin color. Even though he had a daily reminder of what he once was, he used what he was given to the best of hi ...more
Gabrielle
Mar 26, 2016 Gabrielle rated it it was ok
Between a 2 and a 3 star read. Because I haven't actually read metamorphosis my main reference point is Murikami's Kafka on the Shore. And while they're similar in tone (and theme) this lacks charm. The main character is really hard to like. As is pretty much everyone else. The post modern bits staring the author are pretty great though and kept me wanting to read more, which is why I read this in one morning basically.
Njeri Kamande
This book was recommended to me at a book club and the premise intrigued me. The book fell way short of my expectations. The story seems to start where the book ends. It seemed unfinished. There was very little if any character development for most of the characters. In the end, this was just a 'meh' experience.
Corvinus Maximilus
3 and a half stars.

Great start, brilliant premise. I am not sure what happened midway through the book, the character suddenly loses depth.

Enjoyable read, raises interesting questions about the "white man" stereotype in Africa.
Rosemary
An interesting story. The writing is good. It dragged a bit in the middle so I took off a star.
Kookie
Mar 09, 2016 Kookie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.8. Such a promising premise! Such a disappointing execution! Good beginning, flabby bloated middle, decent ending. This could have been so wonderful. Too bad.
That Igbo Girl's ...: Mini review of Blackass 1 5 Jan 09, 2017 09:53AM
  • The Happy Marriage
  • The Sabi
  • Aké: The Years of Childhood
  • Dreams in a Time of War
Igoni Barrett was a winner of the BBC World Service short story competition for 2005. His first book, a collection of short stories entitled From Caves of Rotten Teeth, was first published in 2005 and reissued in 2008.
More about A. Igoni Barrett...

“No one asks to be born, to be black or white or any color in between and yet the identity a person is born into becomes the hardest to explain to the world” 6 likes
“Womanhood comes with its peculiar burdens, among them the constant reminder of a subordinate status whose dominant symptom was uninvited sexual attention from men” 4 likes