Start by marking “Sybil Ludington: Revolutionary War Rider” as Want to Read:
Sybil Ludington: Revolutionary War Rider

Sybil Ludington: Revolutionary War Rider

(Based on a True Story)

What would you do if your country was counting on you to deliver a message? That's sixteen-year-old Sybil Ludington’s urgent mission.

In 1777, Sybil and her family believe the American colonies should be free from British control. Sybil’s father leads a regiment of New York militiamen, and everyone in the family is dedicated to the Patriot cause. Using spy tacti
Published February 16th 2016 by Feiwel & Friends

To ask other readers questions about Sybil Ludington, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sybil Ludington

Start your review of Sybil Ludington: Revolutionary War Rider
Kelly Knapp
Feb 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all young adults, history lovers
Recommended to Kelly by: won as part of the Goodreads Firstreads giveaways
Awesome book. There are far too few books about female real life heroes, let alone young adult heroes. Yet, here is one that is both.

Our heroine, Sybil, is strong and courageous, yet full of insecurities about what she is doing, aware that an unaccompanied girl at night is in great peril, even without the fact that many in her community might consider her actions traitorous. Still, she perseveres, knowing that her father and General Washington, as well as hundreds of volunteers are relying upon
Giovanna Forsyth
Mar 06, 2016 rated it liked it
I really loved the other book in this series that I read, but the editing in this book feels really choppy and all over the place. I, as an adult, found it hard to follow at times. The story is compelling and one I'm glad to know, but I just wished it focused more on the girl without trying to cram in too many historical plot points that just muddied the story.
J. S.
Mar 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Some parts were dry and the writing was sometimes awkward. I'm not sure it would keep the interest of children. However, I did love reading about the facts. I hadn't known much about Sybil before.
Jim
Feb 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Well written for younger readers. It tells the heroic story of Sybil who rode, at the young age of 16, to help the colonists against the British. This is a true story.
Kelly
2.5 stars -- good subject but somewhat clunky writing.
American Mensa
Jun 12, 2017 rated it liked it
In this book, part of a series about kids that were brave through hard times in this country, Sybil Ludington, the daughter of a Colonel in the Continental Army, figures out by spying that the British are going to burn down Danbury, a town in Connecticut. She has to get on her horse and warn Patriots about the burning so that the military can get involved. Along the way, she must face the grave dangers known to many as Loyalists.
Personally, I would give this book 3 stars. It had a good plot and
Oak Lawn Public Library - Youth Services
Title: Sybil Ludington: Revolutionary War Rider
Author: E.F. Abbot
Pages: 185
Lexile level: 490
Recommendations & Comments:
___4 out of 5 stars

Recommendations: In 1777, Sybil Ludington, the daughter of a Colonel in the Continental Army, rides her horse though the night to gather her father’s militia and bring word to the Patriots that the British plan to burn the town of Danbury. On the ride, she faces the constant danger of Loyalists – people who side wi
Deb
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book for young readers. It puts you right in the middle of a family who are patriots...from the oldest to the youngest (if you don't include the baby). For girls, it shows what an important role girls and women played in our struggle for freedom. Sybil and her family were real. We often think about the battles, but so much was done behind the battle scenes. It is individuals and families like the Ludingtons that make this country great.
Lynn
May 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is an interesting fictionalized account of the true story of a young girl, Sybil Ludington, who road all night to rouse the militia to fight the British at the Battle of Ridgefield during the American Revolution.
Emily
Dec 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was probably my favorite story in the set. Sybil is just a little spitfire and you can really feel her emotions as you're reading the book. It was great to give voice to her entire family and some of the friends and neighbors as well. I would recommend this book. 5 out of 5 stars.
Pam
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a great empowering book for girls.
Mary
Mar 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: cin
The story itself would have been better without the illustrations, which I found distracting and, in many cases, not even relevant to the story.
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Nov 27, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: not-recommended
Abbott, EF (Karen Young) Sybil Ludington: Revolutionary War Rider (Based on a True Stories Series), 180 pages. Macmillion , 2016. $15.99. Content: Language: G (0 swears) Mature Content: PG Violence: G
Sixteen year old Sybil Luddington and her family are colonists in the American colonies. Many of the colonists want to rebel against British control, and Sybils family is a part of that, putting them in danger. When the alarm is called, Sybil has to step up to help her family and her country.<
Barbara
Although the narrative seems a bit choppy in parts, I am delighted to have this fictionalized version of the daring feats of a sixteen-year-old available. Sybil Ludington, the daughter of a colonel in the Patriot militia, puts her life at risk by galloping forty miles through the countryside to alert the men to the British raid on Danbury, Connecticut. There's quite a lot going on in the book in addition to her brave actions, including an escaped slave, spies, and a kind-hearted Quaker who offer ...more
Newportjonesy
Nov 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Sybil Ludington's historic ride during the Revolutionary War is a little known aspect of history. It's great to read a well-researched story that portrays the facts and fills in the possibilities with likelihoods.
PWRL
Apr 09, 2019
« previous 1 3 next »

• Jubilee
  • Macy McMillan and the Rainbow Goddess
  • The Man Who Went to the Far Side of the Moon: The Story of Apollo 11 Astronaut Michael Collins
  • Red's Planet (Red's Planet #1)
  • The Invisible Man (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • White Fang (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • You've GOT to Read This Book!: 55 People Tell the Story of the Book That Changed Their Life
  • The Golden Specific (The Mapmakers Trilogy, #2)
  • The Glass Sentence (The Mapmakers Trilogy, #1)
  • The Crimson Skew (The Mapmakers Trilogy, #3)
  • The Goldfish Boy
  • Caveboy Dave: More Scrawny Than Brawny
  • Daughters in My Kingdom: The History and Work of Relief Society
  • 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • The Someday Suitcase
  • The Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio: How My Mother Raised 10 Kids on 25 Words or Less
  • Effie Starr Zook Has One More Question
  • Moo
E.F. Abbott is a pseudonym used by multiple authors: Susan Hill, Jane Kelley, Kristin O'Donnell Tubb, and Karen Romano Young.

Based on a True Story (4 books)
  • John Lincoln Clem: Civil War Drummer Boy