Start by marking “Of Sorrow and Such” as Want to Read:
Of Sorrow and Such

Of Sorrow and Such

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  526 Ratings  ·  128 Reviews
Mistress Gideon is a witch. The locals of Edda's Meadow, if they suspect it of her, say nary a word—Gideon has been good to them, and it's always better to keep on her good side. Just in case.

When a foolish young shapeshifter goes against the wishes of her pack, and gets herself very publicly caught, the authorities find it impossible to deny the existence of the supernatu
Published October 13th 2015 by Tor.com

To ask other readers questions about Of Sorrow and Such, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Of Sorrow and Such

Althea Ann
Oct 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
WHY haven't I known about Angela Slatter till now?

I feel like the presentation of this book is aiming to attract fans of Patricia McKillip; and if so, it worked on me, at least. I wouldn't argue with that decision, but while this story contains the magical mix of fairytale and realism that McKillip's work does, this story is quite a bit darker, in some ways.

Mistress Gideon is a witch, in a rural, medieval-esque world that punishes magic users with death. She's hidden her original identity and (
Tatiana
Feb 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
It's nice to see witches who have the upper hand, not just die in fires.

I need more Angela Slatter's stories.
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum http://bibliosanctum.com/2016/03/20/n...

This is the first time I’ve read Angela Slatter, and now she’s gained herself another fan. Of Sorrow and Such is probably my favorite Tor.com novella of the ones I’ve read so far, a compact little tale that packs no small amount of emotional punch in spite of its length.

In a small fictional village in a world reminiscent of Europe in the Middle Ages lives a witch called Mistress Patience Gideon. Ostensibly, she’s just a lo
Lindsay
Oct 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The story of a witch in a parochial village set in the same world as the short story collections Sourdough and Other Stories and The Bitterwood Bible and Other Recountings. It was a bit of a surprise that Patience came from Bitterwood as I had thought this was a standalone. Very happy to hear otherwise as Slatter's Sourdough universe is a wonderful setting for these stories.

This one is a story of hidden magic, unthinking youth and the situations women find themselves in these type of communities
Erica
Mistress Patience, from the short story "Gallowberries" returns in this novella/long story.

This is what I like in my quick witch fiction, a tale that meanders through a moment but hands out bits of past and hints of future to form full characters in a relatively small space.

Quick summary: Patience Gideon, nee Sykes, has been the local healer at Edda's Meadow for awhile and those who suspect her of witchcraft ignore it because she's helpful. However, a self-involved shapeshifter is found-out by
TheBookSmugglers
Oct 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was excellent and pretty damn dark.
Susana
Dec 13, 2015 rated it really liked it

A story that has left me curious regarding the author's previous works, especially since Patience (the main character in this book) has already appeared in Angela Slatter's fantasy world.

Like other reviewers have mentioned, I also felt that someone was trying to appeal to Patricia A. Mckillip's fan _ look at this cover! _, however, if you're a Mckillip reader you know that only very rarely is the author able to tell a story in such a short amount of time: Mckillip takes her own sweet time with
Anya
Oct 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tor-dot-com
Will you forgive me if I just run around screaming amaze balls for a while? No? Fine! This writing is wonderful, I couldn't put it down. These characters are vicious and fantastic and won't take anyone's shit. Full story punch in a tight and addicting novella. Go get this and the entire backlist.
Alexandra
I received this as an ARC from the publisher.

Firstly, LOOK AT THAT COVER OH MY IT IS A THING OF BEAUTY.

Secondly, Margo Lanagan is right, as usual. This is a riveting read.

Mistress Gideon, the narrator, is not a nice person. She's not a good person, either; she works for and wants the best for those she loves, and for that reason is a fierce and loyal friend... but she's not nice. And she's not good. She is terrible to her enemies.

Mistress Gideon has enemies because she is a witch. Those of her
Robyn
Oct 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
I'm at the point where I think I'll read any and all TOR novella ever published, because they have been knocking it out of the park. This is another great story. The setting feels early modern Europe and Slatter really nails the feeling of a village in the grip of a witchcraft scare - only, it's not just a scare. Patience Gideon is a fabulous character, tough as old boots, and a witch that you should never cross. The rest of the village is populated with quickly drawn but very real characters, a ...more
John
Oct 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars, rounded up because I know what's good for me when dealing with witches.
Lisa
Jun 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Review from Tenacious Reader:

3.5/5 stars

Rarely am I so unsure about how I felt about a book. I’ve let a little time pass (about a week) since reading this to see if I could better sort my thoughts on it. But I am still finding it hard. Slatter’s prose is simple, to the point, and yet somehow not plain or boring. She creates a very realistic narration for a well spoken and intelligent character. I would say her words are precise in the most interesting of ways, with little to nothing extra.

Mistr
Margaret
Oct 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
A tale of witches in a village reminiscent of the late 16th-17th century England or Scotland. With religious anti-witch movements becoming more popular, the local witch of Edda's Meadow Mistress Gideon has to be careful who she helps and how. When she and a witch she's harboring save a selfish local, her livelihood and life are threatened.

Apparently, the characters in this novella reappear in other stories by Angela Slatter, and I enjoyed this enough to try more by her. I love witch stories, an
Tehani
Sep 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Oh, how much do I love Slatter's Bitterwood/Sourdough world and its characters! I'm very glad I read the two collections before reading this, but you don't have to do so in order to immerse yourself in the story. Slatter's gorgeous prose drives a grim plot peopled by powerfully drawn characters and I adored every bit of it.
Eon ♒Windrunner♒
Nov 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
A wonderfully witchy story. Angela Slatter is on the radar!

Do check this one out.
ShoSho
Oct 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
I had no idea what this was about before starting it. It turned out to be a great book.
Lulu
Oct 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lovely little novella, and I'm definitely going to go on to read Slatter's other collections set in this world in the future.
Karina
Apr 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
Classic witch story, lovely reading. Author goes straight onto the want-more-of list.
Rachel (Kalanadi)
Oct 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: novellas, publisher

I received an egalley of this novella from the publisher for review. Thank you to Tor.com Publishing! This review is my honest opinion.

Patience Gideon is a witch, and she spends every day at Edda’s Meadow keeping this secret from her neighbors while trying to help them. If any of those who come to her for aid suspect that she’s a witch—and provides a safe house for others with supernatural abilities—they haven’t said. Then a young shapeshifter is caught, and all of Patience’s secrets might spi

Paul
This is an exceptional novella from Angela Slatter that focuses on the lives of extraordinary, magical women in a society that is afraid of magic. Patience is a witch that helps people in Edda's Meadow with issues that most people can't. She finds herself in trouble when she has to rescue some naive girls that got caught shape-shifting. Patience must decide between doing what is right, helping these young girls, or what is easy.

Of Sorrow and Such is a deep novella that focuses indirectly on a l
Nikki
I wasn’t as sure about this one as I was some of the other Tor.com novellas, so I didn’t buy it outright, but I was curious enough to request it on Netgalley. Especially since the cover wouldn’t be out of place on one of Patricia McKillip’s books, or Juliet Marillier’s, perhaps. Well, it wasn’t exactly like either of those, but it was enjoyable. The main character, Patience, is just so wonderfully practical. Even when that means doing pretty horrifying things. It makes sense, given her life, and ...more
⋟Kimari⋞
If you liked this book, you might also enjoy:

Witches of Lychford
The Truth Is a Cave in the Black Mountains
Chime - please, ignore the silly cover
The Merrybegot
Mother, Crone, Maiden
Alicia
Oct 22, 2015 rated it really liked it

I've never read anything by Slatter before, but this novella makes me want to read more! It centers on a witch in a small village, and her knowledge that trouble could come knocking on her door at any moment. Which, of course, it does. The small town has a very unpleasant dark underbelly--they always do, though, don't they--which complicates things. The protagonist is one of my favorite types of characters, a practical witch with a secretly soft heart. I a
Denny
Sep 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is so good I now have to track down everything else she has written!
Sara (thebookwitchscauldron)
Rating: 4.75/5

*Note* I received an e-copy of this book in exchange for an honest review

“Females are seldom remembered once they’ve gone beneath the earth; indeed, many go unremarked while they’re still upon it.”

I think as soon as I read this line, I knew the odds were good that I’d like this short story. I was right.

Or Sorrow and Such is a short story from Angela Slatter and part of a number of short stories that Tor.com is publishing. I’ve seen a few of them, and they are all very beautiful e
Spencer
Mar 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first time I've read anything by Angela Slatter and I'm incredibly impressed!
The writing is beautiful, subtle and masterfully executed. The prose whisks you away in to this world and gently pulls you along in a tale where you really feel for the characters and become quickly invested in the story. I loved this novella, and after reading that Angela Slatter's other books are set within the same universe I'm now very excited to read more of her work.
Sara WithoutAnH
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
The "read-between-the-lines" aspect is kind of missing here. It's simplistic, dull and over the top, all at the same time. Sort of like a silly fanfic. Still, it's not a horrible book. It's just not a very good one.

To a true friend, I would advise her to not pick this book up. To a stranger... you should totally read it if you feel like it ;)
Paula
Sep 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
At first glance, Of Sorrow and Such doesn't really appear to be a fantasy novella - the setting is a familiar, pastoral one, with women who know how to use herbs taken for practising witchcraft - but as we go on, there's more and more about magic being real. It is, however, written in such a matter of fact way that it doesn't jolt when something is revealed that pushes it closer to that genre.

Our main character is Patience Gideon, long-time inhabitant of Edda's Meadow, where she makes a precari
http://supplementstest.org/ev-derma/ 1 1 Nov 08, 2016 11:22PM
http://soundcloudcommunity.org/follinique/ 1 1 Sep 26, 2016 01:09AM
http://getnutritionhealth.org/satin-youth-cream/ 1 1 Sep 06, 2016 11:18PM
http://healthflyup.com/lumella-eyes-serum/ 2 2 Aug 19, 2016 04:06AM
  • Yuki Chan in Brontë Country
  • Gin O'Clock
  • Martha's Vineyard, Isle of Dreams (#2)
  • The Last Witness
  • Where the Dead Walk
  • City of Secrets
  • Liar's Bench
  • Cracklescape (Twelve Planets book 7)
  • Sunset Mantle
  • In the Light of What We See
  • Whistling Women
  • The Bone Chime Song and Other Stories
  • The Drowning Eyes
  • Domnall and the Borrowed Child
  • Caution: contains small parts (Twelve Planets book 9)
  • Cherry Crow Children (Twelve Planets, #12)
  • Insert Title Here
  • The Female Factory (Twelve Planets book 11)
Angela Slatter is the author of the urban fantasy novels Vigil (2016) and Corpselight (2017), as well as eight short story collections, including The Girl with No Hands and Other Tales, Sourdough and Other Stories, The Bitterwood Bible and Other Recountings, and A Feast of Sorrows: Stories. She has won a World Fantasy Award, a British Fantasy Award, a Ditmar, and six Aurealis Awards.

Angela’s short
More about Angela Slatter

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • An Unwelcome Quest
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Luna: New Moon
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Plague of Giants (Seven Kennings, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Star Wars: Thrawn
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Blackfish City
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Supernatural: Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • Some Fine Day
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Wicked Years, #1)
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wormhole (The Rho Agenda, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dragons of Nova (Loom Saga, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Amid Stars and Darkness (The Xenith Trilogy #1)
  • Black Thorn, White Rose
  • Otherkin
  • The Last Adventure of Constance Verity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Traveler (Fourth Realm, #1)
  • Ancestor
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Thief's Daughter (Kingfountain, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
“Memories change and shift, ferment in our minds; they are never the same when we take them out as they were when first we put them in.” 6 likes
“Confess how you worship and obey Lucifer, the fallen one.”
"You fool. I worship none, and what woman with a brain in her head obeys anyone, let alone a failure?”
6 likes