Start by marking “Turning Texas Blue: What It Will Take to Break the GOP Grip on America's Reddest State” as Want to Read:

In the 2014 midterm election, Democrats in Texas did not receive even 40 percent of the statewide vote; Republicans swept the tables both in Texas and nationally. But even after two decades of democratic losses, there is a path to turn Texas blue, argues Mary Beth Rogers - if Democrats are smart enough to see and follow it.

Rogers is the last person to successfully
Published January 19th 2016 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Turning Texas Blue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Turning Texas Blue

Start your review of Turning Texas Blue: What It Will Take to Break the GOP Grip on America's Reddest State
Michelle Lancaster
TEXAS POLITICS
Mary Beth Rogers
Turning Texas Blue: What It Will Take to Break the GOP Grip on America’s Reddest State
St. Martin’s Press
Hardcover, 978-1250079084 (ebook also available), 256 pgs., $26.99
January 19, 2016

Mary Beth Rogers ran the last campaign that put a Democrat in the Texas governor’s mansion, the late Ann Richards. That was 1990. Since then Rogers, retired from the campaign trail, has watched aghast as “ordinary, business-oriented, conservative Republicans morph into crackpots and
Monty Mitra
Dec 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Good summary of the rise of the GOP in Texas and a quick review of the GOP's movement to its extremist far right. As a Texas native (who plans to return one day), I followed Wendy Davis's race with some excited attachment and was surprised by her astounding loss. After reading this, I'm surprised she even entered the race (not surprised she was heavily encouraged to do so). I'm surprised that the Democrat party's strategies haven't changed at all in the face of continual loss. I'm surprised that ...more
Bill Cryer
Feb 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great analysis from one of the finest political minds in Texas

Mary Beth Rogers, who spent decades in the trenches of Texas Democratic politics presents us with a thoughtful look at the fault lines that run through the Texas Republican Party and how a re-energized Democratic Party can --should--exploit those chasms. She also provides a delightful synopsis of Texas political history of the past 75 years. It's a history worth remembering: Texans remain central to national political debates, and
Stephen
Mar 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
We got this book at our local bookstore following Mary Beth's lecture. The book was interesting and gives a historical context as to why TX is turning out wackos and crazies like Ted Cruz, Rick Perry, and our current governor Greg Abbott. It also gave an insider's explanation of why Wendy Davis' gubernatorial run was a disaster. It's a good read.
Adam
Jan 23, 2018 rated it did not like it
I pretty much never give one-star reviews - at least not to books I actually finished - but geeeeeez. The title and subtitle of this book are aggressively misleading. I'm still wondering "what it will take" because the author sure didn't have any ideas.

A huge percentage of this book consists of Texas political history, which would be interesting if it did a better job of connecting the lessons learned from history to the future. But frankly the author seems more interested in talking about the
Richard Edwards
Apr 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: geopolitical
It was an interesting read. The author is clearly a Democrat operative. Her recounting of how Texas went from a Democrat stronghold to Republican stronghold is accurate and insightful. As a conservative Texan like Kay Bailey Hutchison, I am distressed at the current state of both political parties. The only way for good government to return is BOTH parties to silence their extremists. I am unsure that Texas Democrats can follow her advice. For that all Texans are impoverished.
Katie Moore
Feb 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
As a Democrat living in Texas, I'm always interested when someone promises they have the plan to Turn Texas Blue. I was only 10 when Ann Richards won her last election but have fond memories of that time. To read her campaign managers ideas was a no-brainier for me.

Mary Beth Rogers provides an historical bent to the story that is lacking in just about every other book, thesis, article or blog post about fixing Texas. She frequently suggests learning from the GOP's rise from obscurity to control
Ian yarington
Aug 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Very interesting. I live in a solid blue state and places down south are somewhat of a mystery to me. One thing that I don't understand is the Latin vote and it was good to read a little bit about the Latin vote and what it will mean in the coming elections. I take for granted sometimes the fact that I live in a place that mirrors my political views, I feel sorry for anyone that leans left that has to be in a place that can't get 40% of the vote!
Michael
Jan 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Merely ok, I thought. Some interesting personal narratives about how Texas went from solidly conservative Democratic government to a deep Republican dominance with one major exception- the governorship of Ann Richards, for whom the author served as campaign strategist. The political prognostications are actually less interesting and involve usual analyses of demographics, political messaging, GOTV strategy, etc.
Brent
Apr 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: politics
This is a sordid tale of a history of bigotry, racism, and xenophobia in Texas. Although at various times and places this history was overcome, at least for the rest of the decade this prevailing attitude seems to overwhelming in Texas politics with the tea party still showing strength in the state political system.
Bryan Stone
Feb 06, 2016
Misty Irby
Jun 12, 2017
Logan Kline
rated it did not like it
May 19, 2016

• The Second World War: A Complete History
  • Alexander Girard Designs for Herman Miller
  • Humans of New York: Stories
  • Kehinde Wiley: A New Republic
  • The Blue Bottle Craft of Coffee: Growing, Roasting, and Drinking, with Recipes
  • Shade: A Tale of Two Presidents