Start by marking “Presumed Puzzled (Puzzle Lady #17)” as Want to Read:
Presumed Puzzled (Puzzle Lady #17)

Presumed Puzzled

(Puzzle Lady #17)

“Jessica Fletcher meets Groucho Marx!”—RT BookReviews

A shocking crime of passion has Bakerhaven buzzing!

The Puzzle Lady gets more than she bargained for when she’s hired to track down Paula Martindale’s straying husband. She finds him, all right—hacked to pieces on his living room rug, while his blood-drenched wife haunts the crime scene clutching a butcher knife.

It’s a to
Published January 19th 2016 by Minotaur Books

pammy 🍓
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love these books. They are a quick read and I love the characters. Cora is a hoot!
Coreycw
May 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: cozy-mystery
As usual.....a series like this starts to become predictable...and less interesting.
Mark Baker
Jun 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016, mystery
Roger Martindale is missing, and his wife, Pamela, has received a crossword puzzle. That evening, he returns home only to be hacked to death. Chief Harper thinks that Pamela did it since she was found with the bloody knife in her hand, but the twists for Puzzle Lady Cora Felton are just beginning.

And twists there are. Yes, Cora is right in the thick of things, and as the book progresses she gets even more involved. The characters are a little thin, but they usually are in this series. The real s
Susan
Feb 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Here's a conversation between Puzzle Lady Cora and attorney Becky.

[Becky] "Why would the killer to frame you?"
[Cora] "I have no idea."
"So think it out. What does framing you accomplish?"
"Absolutely nothing. Except it draws attention away from the murder."
"The one you're being tried for?"
"Yeah, murder. I didn't do that one, either, in case you're asking."
"I never said you did."
"You never said I . Okay, why did the killer need to frame me? He didn't. So why did he do it? Maybe he didn't. If he do
Kwoomac
This is a silly little book. A little slapstick, a little witty repartee, and a liitle murder. I thought this would be fun because there were crossword puzzles and sudoku. In actuality, I didn't want to stop reading to solve them. No need to because the answers were on the next page. This is #17 in a series about a professional crossword puzzle writer (there's a nword for them, but I can't remember it) who finds herself solving murders. Just like Murder She Wrote. You probably don't want to get ...more
Earl
Feb 06, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2016
Every year, I look forward to a new Puzzle Lady mystery. I love the wordplay and the characters. But when the story gets too convoluted even by this series' standard and when the puzzles have no relevance then it's no longer fun. Cora, in particular, is becoming too tiresome. I hope the series ends soon- maybe book 20?
Virginia Winfield
Feb 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was not my favorite in this series. It was good but didn't seem quite as fun. I always love the puzzle lady but there didn't seem as many puzzles as usual. I like there to be a little more of her daughter also. I still am looking forward to the next in the series. Still an enjoyable read.
Harvey
Oct 29, 2015 rated it liked it
2.5

The usual wackiness and wordplay.
Al Stoess
Feb 13, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Hall fans. Puzzle lady fans, Puzzle fans.
Humorous. Convoluted. Confusing at times (at least to this reader). Perhaps intentionally so.
Barbara Villegas
Sep 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Since I love crossword puzzles, I thought this book had an interesting concept. It does, but not enough to carry the plot. It was a fun read, but I won’t read more in this series. Perhaps if I had started with the first in the series I would be interested in continuing. Never mind.
LESLIELBERRY
Sep 05, 2018 rated it liked it
The story was too convoluted and the protagonist appeared to perjure herself (but I wasn't sure because of the convolution), so the reality factor went out the door.
Susan Moxley
Nov 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A real page turner with lots of twists and turns and lots of mystery and action to the very end of the book.
Larrygodin
Picked this off the bookmobile. Number 17 in the series. Might go back an try #1 if I can find it. Maybe the heroine won't be as mean spirited in the early books.
Cynthia Diestelkamp
Jul 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good book. Good puzzles-not too hard but hard enough for them to be interesting. Want to read more of this series.
Cherry
Nov 05, 2016 rated it liked it
It was ok. The plot seemed a bit too clever, getting very convoluted. I won't think about it too much, or I'll start doubting what I took to be the actual events.
Leah
Mar 08, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: didn-t-finish
The heroine is unlikeable, and the dialogue is so hard to follow!!! Bad writing, and convoluted storyline. not a fan
Beth
Aug 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
really good need to the whole series
Kyndra Jones
Oct 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Not my favorite book by this author in this series. Not sure if I will continue reading them when the next one comes out, but it happens!
Weezie
Feb 19, 2016 added it
Each one of the books of this series seems to be a little less enjoyable to read. During conversations, it's hard to keep up with who is saying what. And I don't think Cora is a very likable person.
One part that i thought was dumb was when Cora's niece picked up her daughter from day care & put her in the car with no carseat & in the FRONT seat. I don't know about where they live, but you sure couldn't get by with where I live. Not that I would want to endanger a child if that airbag wou
Jessi
Huh. I thought I had been keeping up on the Puzzle Lady books but my library is lagging seriously behind. When I got this ARC, I was surprised to see how much time had passed. But that didn't affect my enjoyment of the book.
Becky , the local lawyer is having trouble finding a client so she asks Cora for help. When Cora finally finds a client, it doesn't go well. Paula Martindale is found over her husband's dead body with a knife in her hand. And she doesn't want to let Becky do her job. The prob
Sandy
Sep 07, 2016 rated it liked it
I liked this. Cora Felton is the Puzzle Lady (Will Shortz, crossword puzzle editor the The New York Times contributed Sudoku puzzles for this book. Other New York Times cruciverbalists (puzzle makers) constructed the crossword puzzles). Becky Baldwin is a lawyer who has asked Cora to find her a client. When Cora finds Paula Martindale's husband dead with Paula standing over him with a knife, she feels that her work is done. But, Becky needs help with investigating Paula's involvement, since no j ...more
Catherine Woodman
Apr 13, 2016 rated it liked it
This is a book that might be better to own in a hardcopy rather than on a Kindle, or borrowed from the library as AI did. Will Shortz has done some puzzles that might be enjoyable to do--as it was for me, they were a distraction that were not appreciated, but are certainly a hallmark of the author. Cora gets herself into trouble for reasons that are hard to fathom initially but later it all becomes clear. I do like that the plot is not excessively twisty. A good installment if you like the serie ...more
Karen Holman
Mar 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
This Puzzle Lady mystery gave the reader many ideas to solve this murder. I enjoyed the clues in the setting, characters, and conclusion. The story was able to hold the reader even if the reader had guessed the culprit and was correct. If you enjoy puzzles this is for you to read and solve. copy right 2015
Joanna
Sep 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Dependable cozy mystery series. Mildly slapstick, with likable enough characters. I have read a few of these, but a little goes a long way, so I just leave gaps. It appears that I missed some "character development" in skipping the last several, as a primary character now has a small child of unknown provenance, but it didn't seem to affect my enjoyment of the latest installment.
Shelley
Mar 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was another fairly typical Puzzle Lady book, but I liked it better than the more recent ones. The dialogue was witty as usual, but not as overwhelming and hence, annoying, as in other books. You won't be disappointed if you like the series.
Michele
Jan 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
I love The Puzzle Lady. It was a little weird, though, because she has quit smoking and didn't whip out her gun and threaten to shoot anyone...but still, a great plot, lots of crazy twists and turns, and lots of Cora!
Kathleen
Jul 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Clever and witty, with interesting twists! The included puzzles are a nice bonus. I had some trouble telling who was talking in the long dialogue passages where you don't get any names, just back-and-forth lines for a while.
Ann
Nov 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Cora is smack in the middle of another murder investigation where she soon becomes the prime suspect. As Becky defends Cora they soon run out of suspects and it might be the end of the Puzzle Lady. Familiar friends and family in our favorite small town.
Pxipenguin
Jul 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
It was a good read but with waaaaaaaayyyy too much dialog between the main characters, which tended to bicker and natter page after page after page! When the ratings includes half stars, I will change this to three and a half - but until then, I gave it four stars.
Brenda Sharp
Jul 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Cora as always was a delight. She is hilarious as she gets herself into one scrape after another.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Murder to Music (Libby Sarjeant #8)
  • Choosing One Moment: A Time Travel Mystery
  • Mrs Pargeter's Principle (Mrs Pargeter, #7)
  • No Mallets Intended (Vintage Kitchen Mystery, #4)
  • Independence Slay (Celebration Bay, #3)
  • Playing with Fire (Sweet Pepper Fire Brigade Mystery, #2)
  • Real Elves
  • All Things Murder (Veronica Walsh Mystery, #1)
  • Quicksand (Jaya Jones Treasure Hunt Mystery, #3)
  • A Dubious Crime (Colton Banyon Mysteries, #9)
  • Murder with Ganache (Key West Food Critic Mystery, #4)
  • Gossamer Ghost (A Scrapbooking Mystery, #12)
  • All the President's Menus (A White House Chef Mystery, #8)
  • The Lost City (Jaguar Stones #4)
  • Steam and Stratagem
  • Model Undercover: Paris
  • Louisiana Saves the Library
  • Tall Tail (Mrs. Murphy, #25)

Puzzle Lady (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • A Clue for the Puzzle Lady (Puzzle Lady #1)
  • Last Puzzle & Testament (Puzzle Lady #2)
  • Puzzled to Death (Puzzle Lady #3)
  • A Puzzle in a Pear Tree (Puzzle Lady #4)
  • With this Puzzle, I Thee Kill (Puzzle Lady #5)
  • And a Puzzle to Die On (Puzzle Lady #6)
  • Stalking the Puzzle Lady (Puzzle Lady #7)
  • You Have the Right to Remain Puzzled (Puzzle Lady #8)
  • The Sudoku Puzzle Murders (Puzzle Lady #9)
  • Dead Man's Puzzle (Puzzle Lady #10)