Start by marking “Starborn” as Want to Read:

Starborn

(The Flaxfield Quartet #4)

This is the final thrilling volume in "The Flaxfield Quartet". An accident in the Mines releases a new power that offers Ash a way of escape and an opportunity to defeat her enemies at last. Sam, Tamrin and the other wizards come together for the final battle against an enemy more dangerous than ever before, where Sam finds he must challenge the source of magic itself and ...more
Published February 9th 2016 by Bloomsbury Children's Books (first published September 1st 2012)

Callie
Nov 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
*Goodreads Giveaway Winner** This was a great end to a series. I enjoyed reading all the books in this series.
Rick Stuckwisch
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a strong and beautiful conclusion to a very fine series. I had mixed feelings about the first book (Dragonborn), but the subsequent books have increasingly grown on me as we've been reading through them. A marvelous "poetry" to the prose, so to speak. Not sure how to describe the series other than "high fantasy" for younger readers/listeners. Others have compared the series to the Chronicles of Prydain by Lloyd Alexander (one of my longtime favorites), and I can see similarities. A clos ...more
Sean Michael Brennan
May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Starborn

A brilliant end to the siries, with action and magic at it's heart. I recommend this book if you liked the previous ones.
Zane
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sad at the end, but definitely one of my favorite books I have ever read. Still sad though! :(
Rebekah
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Unlike any series or book I have ever read.
Jacob Wittman
Nov 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Starborn is the last in the Dragonborn series by Toby Forward. This is a magic fiction book like the others in the series. The first book in the series started with Flaxfield dying and this last book started with Flaxfold dying. Sam was Flaxfield’s wizard apprentice and Flaxfold helped take care of Sam when he was young. This book reveals that Flaxfield and Flaxfold are one in mind and thought just like Sam and Tamrin are. A new roffle, Tadpole, ventures out of the Deep World, his underground ho ...more
Lizzy
Apr 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
This serious is one of my favorites! All of the characters are AMAZING and I love how at the end the roffles now get to have the magic. But I still feel like a lot still has to be explained. Why did Flaxfield and Flaxfold became that willow tree. There has to be a reason why they did that and it would be amazing if there was a separate series to explain the two of them were in there childhood.
I gave this book four stars because for one it was one of the greatest endings to a series ever but I w
BAYA Librarian
Jun 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Tadpole, a roffle, can't resist the urge to go explore the world above ground in spite of the dangers caused by Ash, a bad wizard whose selfish magic has run wild. These days even other wizards are in danger, never mind a magic-less roffle in search of magical wonders and stars. When he runs into a band of good wizards, it takes Tadpole a while to find answers. But they see from the beginning that the riddle-loving, questioning roffle may have quite a part to play, even in spite of himself.
Jennifer Heise
I love the plot of the this series. I want to love the characters. But there's just something that doesn't click: I can't get near enough. This is like a plot that would have been written by Patricia A. McKillip in intricacy and style, with lots of marvellous interfolding world vignettes, but it's just not coming through in the writing enough. Maybe it needs more polishing, more refining, or more maturity to write; it's all in there, but it's so hard to get it out.
Conor
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm slowly working my way through Gordon Askew's recommended list on his excellent blog magicfictionsincepotter. I'm so glad I discovered this quartet there. Excellent writing, an engrossing and ultimately touching storyline and cast of characters, highly original. Really disappointed at the ending (read: heartbroken) but only because of how real and honest it was. Would highly recommend for all ages.
Jax
Dec 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the writing of this series, sparse and eloquent, put me in mind of Wizard of Earthsea in some way. But I found this particular book not quite satisfying, perhaps it was the ending which just felt like trying to tie up loose ends for the sake of it and not completely fitting with the rest of the set.
Becky
Jan 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children, fantasy
I can't believe it's all over. That being said, I have to say that this is the only one in the series I can't give six stars to. It's still great, it's just not as much fun as the others. I definitely didn't see the end coming, which was nice. I enjoyed getting all of the threads tied up, I just hate that there won't be more.
Jessica Wilson
Dec 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I cried more than laughed through this book. The hard life lessons of being a friend and accepting change were tough to read. Even good endings can leave you feeling a little sad. The journey is over, loved ones are gone with the past, and Sam is an older wiser man who lives with no magic.
Christine Ditzel
May 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-read
Could have done without the final chapter/epilogue, that brought rating down to something between 3 and 4 stars.
Virkey
Christy
Apr 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »

• Absolute Zero: Being the Second Part of the Bagthorpe Saga
  • Simon Thorn and the Wolf's Den (Simon Thorn, #1)
  • Blue in the Face: A Story of Risk, Rhyme, and Rebellion
  • Archie Greene and the Magician’s Secret
  • The Harp and the Ravenvine (The Keepers #2)
  • Stormbound (The Guardian Herd, #2)
  • Magic or Not? (Tales of Magic, #5)
  • Geeks, Girls and Secret Identities
  • Darkmouth #1: The Legends Begin
  • Shaman's Blues (Mae Martin Mysteries #2)
  • The Door at the End of the World
  • Vote 4 Amelia (Amelia's Notebooks, #22)
  • The Wrinkled Crown
  • Corydon and the Island of Monsters (Corydon, #1)
  • The Ostrich Conspiracy (Platypus Police Squad, #2)
  • The Time Fetch
  • Raggedy Ann and Andy and the Camel With the Wrinkled Knees
  • Shadows of the Silver Screen (Twelve Minutes To Midnight, #2)

The Flaxfield Quartet (4 books)
  • Dragonborn
  • Fireborn
  • Doubleborn
“[Flaxfield] was gentle. He was fair. He was honest. That's better than kind.” 0 likes