Start by marking “I, Spy: How to Be Your Own Private Investigator” as Want to Read:
I, Spy: How to Be Your Own Private Investigator

I, Spy: How to Be Your Own Private Investigator

Have you ever wanted to be your own private eye? Have you ever wanted to track down long-lost relatives or people who've scammed you? Have you ever wanted to know if your kids really are where they say they are? Or if your significant other is cheating on you? Or how to locate assets in order to collect on a judgment?

In, I, Spy, World-renowned private investigator Dan Riba
Published February 9th 2016 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about I, Spy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I, Spy

Kalvis Jānis
Nov 01, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: wtf-nutshell
Elena
Oct 04, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned
The subject matter really interests me but i had to abandon the book at 60% of progress. It was torturing me. I perceived the author as a cynical person with no gift for story telling, humour or any other assets to justify readers' attention. I will wait for others to try to come up with an enjoyable non-fiction on this topic...
Brooke McArthur
Apr 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
I grew up reading Nancy Drew, Sherlock Holmes, Ghost Writer, and Encyclopedia Brown and still enjoy fictional sleuths like Harry Dresden, Reacher, and not so fictional but dramatized ID Discovery. This book is right up that alley but way more useful in everyday life. I, Spy contains on point info for keeping your home safe, avoiding identity thieves, tracking down old high school buddies, busting unfaithful spouses, small businesses proving employee theft, and catching your kid taking drugs and ...more
Katie Daniels
Apr 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was very well written, very informative. A must-read for any wannabe crime writers. Includes a lot of common-sense stuff about security and self-defense, and also lesser-known details about surveillance and investigation. Includes case studies, resources, and is generally useful for anyone interested in being more aware of their surroundings, and more capable of looking after their own interests.
Gillian
Jun 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Hands down one of the best non-fiction books I've ever read. I wasn't bored like the traditional informational books. Dan is a great writer and I hope he has another book because I will definitely read that one too.
Mike
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: worst-books-pile
Some good info, but mostly useless for readers outside of the USA and written in a supercilious tone.
Steven Yenzer
About a third of this book has interesting information about private investigation. The rest is kind of fluff — a lot of lengthy explanations of basic concepts (search engines, social media, etc.) and then kind of tangential content related to "personal protection" (like a recommendation to get flood insurance).
Vince Cooper
Jun 23, 2018 rated it liked it
As an investigator I found this book helpful, full of tips from an experienced investigator, lessons learned, and a good foundation in which to build on. This book will not make you a Private Investigator, but does provide insight to get you in the right mindset.
David Matthews
Aug 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Better than Intro to Conducting Private Investigations but still didn't have the meat that I was looking for. Last two chapters were total filler too.
Crystal Caudill
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Well written and a very interesting read!
Sara Goldenberg
Apr 07, 2018 rated it liked it
I liked it - it's good for the layperson, too, if you just want to find phone numbers online and read people's body language.

Recommended!
Lionkhan-sama
Not that great of a book. True, it does tell you all you need to know to become a private investigator, but honestly, after having listened to this whole book, most of that information is common sense. There are some useful bits of novel information here and there, but that's about it.

Oh, and this book will probably indirectly piss you off, because it lets you know just how easy it is for someone to spy on you both legally and illegally. Knowing the details made me pretty mad..
Gary Foss
Jan 02, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: wish-i-hadn-t
Hokay, let me say up front that I had no idea who Steve Wilkos was before picking up this book. I had to look him up. He has a show, apparently, based on being the bald guy on Jerry Springer. I can't for the life of me imagine why anyone would care about such a thing, but apparently the author of this little "how to" book works with the guy and it's the closest thing he has to a claim to fame, so you'll read about it in this text.

At the very least, I can say I cut my investigative chops on that
Son Tung
Sep 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is an short, enjoyable but very practical book on issues such as investigation, surveillance, security.

Most people do not have a good awareness of thier surrounding. If they are followed by someone on the streets, it's unlikely they know it. You can test it yourself. What surprised me is that private investigator must obey the laws strictly to avoid physical harm for both him/herself and the subjects. It is acceptable for using white lie to find out the truth as long as no laws being viola
I received a copy of this book for free through Goodreads Giveaways.

I, Spy is a decent book with a lot of useful information. I always want to learn how to better keep myself safe, and this book has some good tips for that.

The book covers a wide range of topics and offers a lot of information, but only gets into the basics on each subject. I didn’t become an expert reading it, but I learned some practical tips that I can, and do, put to use.

Some of the situations weren’t relevant to me, but stil
Taykin Izzet
Dec 07, 2016 rated it it was ok
Reading this book made me feel as if everyone around me is a criminal. I had that Trust No One feel to it! Good book if you are a criminal wanting to avoid the honest side of the world. Suitable for film noir lovers or those addicted to criminal shows on TV. Though interesting to know the tricks of the trade and hopeless enough to not make it to the FBI. Time to read something more peaceful and halt the paranoia.
Joseph
Dec 17, 2016 rated it liked it
I-Spy is a gumshoe guide for the 21st century. It is also a good primer on protecting one's self from a potential invasion of privacy, as well as unearthing information on potential business and personal partners. Of great use are the resources for how to avoid being scammed/abused in today's tech-savvy society.
Lauren
Mar 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book via Goodreads Giveaways. I love watching shows about how crimes are solved, so reading this book gave me some deeper understanding into what kind of knowledge the detectives must have to move forward. Very interesting and good info.
Fee
Sep 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
An informative, practical book on spying, self defense, theft and more. Highly recommended even if you don't want to become a spy. (but i I must say I am interested now)
I listened to the audiobook and the narrator certainly added to the fun.
Kaq Kaq
Dec 23, 2016 rated it did not like it
Silly - mostly googled contents!
A book for the paranoid!
Brian
Surajit
Jul 18, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Idiot!
  • PAIRED: Champagne & Sparkling Wines. The Food & Wine Matching Recipe Book for Everyone.
  • Paris Street Style
  • 1 Weight Loss Plan, 2 Friends, 3 Weeks: Using the Buddy System to Fight Fat
  • Newtonian Physics for Babies
  • Faith and Betrayal: A Pioneer Woman's Passage in the American West
  • The Power of a Plant: A Teacher's Odyssey to Grow Healthy Minds and Schools
  • Yearning for Nothings and Nobodies
  • The Astronaut Instruction Manual
  • Stop Dreaming Start Traveling: The Ultimate Guide to Traveling More and Spending Less
  • A Family Christmas
  • The Book of Totally Irresponsible Science: 64 Daring Experiments for Young Scientists
  • The Puzzle Universe: The History of Math in 315 Puzzles
  • LuLu's Kitchen: A Taste of the Gulf Coast Good Life
  • Balzac's Omelette: A Delicious Tour of French Food and Culture with Honoré de Balzac
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to the Bible