Start by marking “The Advocate's Daughter” as Want to Read:
The Advocate's Daughter

The Advocate's Daughter

A Washington, D.C. lawyer and a frequent major media commentator on the Supreme Court, Anthony Franze delivers a high-stakes story of family, power, loss and revenge set within the insular world of the highest court of our country.

Among Washington D.C. power players, everyone has secrets they desperately want to keep hidden, including Sean Serrat, a Supreme Court lawyer. S
Published March 22nd 2016 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about The Advocate's Daughter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Advocate's Daughter

Donna
Mar 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: crime-mystery
This is the first book by this author that I've read ....or rather, listened to. I liked his interview at the end. It gave me more of a feel of who he was and how the story came about. For being in the crime/mystery genres, this was middle of the road for me. I liked it, but I wasn't wowed. It was a good read for the day. I liked the MC and his wife. They were were well drawn, as were the other characters. The story line, however, had some incredible leaps over reality. Some of the scenarios wer ...more
Jill
Dec 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the second legal thriller by Appellate and Supreme Court lawyer Anthony Franze. He puts his professional insights into, and experience with, the Supreme Court into his thrillers, of which there have been three so far. I read the third one, The Outsider, first, and enjoyed it enough that I wanted to go back to his other books.

In this story, Sean Serrat, formerly of the Office of Solicitor General, is on the shortlist to be the next Supreme Court nominee. But Sean’s life is upended when hi
Matt
Feb 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobook
Returning with another crime thriller, peppered with legal undertones, Franze offers an explosive story that will rock the reader as the story unfolds. Sean Serrat is about to begin a new job in private practice, having recently left the office of the Solicitor General. Working in DC, he comes to realise that every lawyer is covered in politics, no matter how they try to protect themselves. He is also rumoured to be a nominee for the vacancy on the US Supreme Court, which creates an added buzz i ...more
JoAnne Pulcino
THE ADVOCATE'S DAUGHTER

A very good thriller written by a Washington D. C. lawyer and a major media commentator on the Supreme Court, Mr. Franze certainly has the credentials to write a novel that begins when respected lawyer, Sean Sarrat is on the short list to be nominated to the U. S. Supreme Court.

Sadly, Sean’s daughter, Abby a brilliant law student has been found murdered in the library of the Supreme Court. Her black boyfriend who is a law clerk at the high court is arrested for her murder
Minty McBunny
Apr 13, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: april-2016, 2016
This started off strong & I was immediately interested in the story. The characters were well-written and I was expecting an exciting thriller. Sadly, it soon devolved into increasingly implausible scenarios and by the time the disappointing resolution rolled around, I was too disinterested to even care that it was a let down.
Henry Le Nav
Jan 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good plot with lots of twists and turns, but it got very contrived and conveniently tidy at the end. A good editor could have made this into an outstanding read.
Marleen
It’s not that I was dazzled by my first Anthony Franze read; still in the legal thriller genre, it was quite enjoyable. The short and action-packed chapters make it a rather effortless read, easily finished in 2 days. Without truly being inundated by the legalese or knowledge of the US Judicial system, it was still filled with interesting information that I knew little about, seeing I’m from abroad.
Right from the start I empathized with the main character, Sean Serrat. Until recently Sean was la
Danielle Gonzalez
Dec 30, 2018 rated it liked it
I think I liked this book. It was rated highly by authors that I really like. The story was a good mystery, with lots of potential ways it could have gone. The end, for me, was unexpected. I thought that lots of loose ends were tied up quickly, and maybe not with the nice little bow that I would typically like. But the characters would well developed, and I liked the family members and how they stuck together.
Sharman Bingham
Dec 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries, thriller
Anthony Franze writes fresh, timely legal thrillers. His plots unmask that most secretive body, the Supreme Court. If you’ve given up on Grisham, I highly recommend Franze.
Victor Gentile
Dec 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Anthony J. Franze in his new book, "The Advocate's Daughter" published by Minotaur Books takes us into the life of Sean Serrat.

From the inside jacket flap: A fast-paced hunt for a young woman's killer amid the dangerous factions jockeying for power in the Supreme Court, perfect for fans of Brad Meltzer, Gregg Hurwitz and Joseph Finder.

Nancy McFarlane
Dec 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Sean Serrat thinks the horrible event that occurred when he was only 14 is buried so deeply that it will never see the light of day. But, just as Sean, a prominent Supreme Court lawyer, learns he is on the short list for nomination to the highest court in the land, his life becomes a living nightmare and his past comes back to haunt him.
His daughter, a talented law student, is found murdered and Sean begins to suspect the police have arrested the wrong person for her murder. As he tries to find
Abby Jean
May 19, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2016
for a thriller, there were a whole lot of guns in the first act that didn't go off in the third. no real stakes.
Patricia
Jan 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-forum, audio
A good legal thriller that kept me engaged to the end. I liked the author's use of short chapters to keep the suspense going. Didn't see the end coming. Good read.
Amber
Mar 22, 2017 rated it liked it
I enjoyed the first hundred pages, but then the novel started to go into a more action packed route rather than sticking to the law like it should have. As a lawyer, Sean didn't really seem to question what he was doing as much as he probably should have been and that annoyed me to no end. Him knowing the law as he does, there were a lot of rookie mistakes being made, sure, in his defense, he wasn't a criminal attorney, but lying only breeds more lies and I'm not even sure the lies helped him in ...more
Mich
Dec 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: suspense
I listened to this book in snatches and it held my interest continuously. While lately there seems to be a host of books and streaming shows featuring a murdered daughter, this is exceptionally well done. Sean Serrat is a top lawyer, recently changed jobs from deputy solicitor general to a private law firm, has a secret in his past as a young boy in Japan, having taken part in a shopkeeper’s death. He also has a tendency to take matters in his own hands in trying to solve his daughter’s murder. ...more
Karen
Sep 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have been going out to Overdrive and requesting thrillers for adults. I saw this as an option and thought, hm that sounds interesting. The way it started I wasn't so sure I was going to like it. But eventually it got to the point I couldn't put it down. The story focuses on a man who has overcome some horrible things that he did as a teenager. He has become a responsible adult and a contributor to society. As the story quickly unfolds, you find out that his daughter was murdered. The story tak ...more
Tate
Dec 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This may be the best book I have read all year! I was given this book for Christmas from my wife and could not put it down. I finished this book faster than most.
The Advocate's Daughter is a suspenseful novel that keeps readers wanting more. The reader easily connects with Sean and his family and you are wanting things to work out for them from the beginning. I for one am not intrigued by politics or things of the sort, but I was so lost in this novel that I forgot that I normally do not enjoy s
Jovdb
Feb 07, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook

Franze writes a good story about the murder of Abby, the daughter of Sean, an attorney looking to get appointed to the Supreme Court.

Sean and his wife, Emily, look into the death of their daughter. Although it looks like the murderer was her ex boyfriend, there are certain questions that aren't answered or just don't fit.

Could the death be related to an incident in Sean's teenage years in Japan? Is it connected to the corruption in the justice system?

Sean, Emily and their two sons, Ryan
ElaineY
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
REVIEW OF AUDIOBOOK; JUNE 2, 2017
Narrator: Robert Petkoff

...about something that comes back and bites you in the ass.

Except for Sean Serrat, this isn't the kind of funny something that gets shown on your wedding day for laughs. I thought, at first, this was a legal thriller but it's not. It's a crime thriller that revolves around lawyers. It kept me interested and I was invested in Serrat and his quest to find his daughter's killer. The ending was sad but the murder is resolved and all that is l
Benjamin  Thomas
May 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I've been on a legal thriller kick recently.  Not sure if you've heard of Anthony Franze, a lawyer in the Appellate and Supreme Court practice in a Washington, D.C. law firm, but he write's a great book. From beginning to end, I peeled the pages in great suspense to find out what happened. A Supreme Court nominee is set to make history with the "cat in the bag"...Well, until he discovers his daughter is found dead the Supreme Court library. As he sets out to find the truth behind her murder, the ...more
Clgoodman
Aug 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very engaging legal crime drama. I was impressed by how all the main characters were believable and how they were used to further the story, which had more than one reveal. The only glitch was the mention of the remote in-laws, who you would expect would visit for a funeral. But that didn't impact the story at all. A definite recommendation. I didn't want to stop listening (Audible) and will be looking for more by this author.
Judith Taveras
The writing was pretty good and Mr. Franze certainly has a knack for it. I did have some issues with the book, mainly certain aspects weren't really believable. For example, how does a middle-age man who works long hours at a desk job essentially turn into a field agent overnight. Also, the idea that a lawyer trying to investigate a case that is very personal to him gaining access to all types of information that is essential in the case was not available.

Nancy
Nov 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
Listening to this book helped pass the time on a road trip, but the plot was a bit too convoluted to be satisfying, and the main character, supposedly a brilliant lawyer, makes one really bad decision after another to the point of being ridiculous. I did laugh when he inadvertently ended up spying on a very nasty senator and his “security” person in a compromising situation — one more unnecessary plot twist.
Mermaidka
Sep 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-home-library, 2018
Velice zdařilý příběh z prostředí Nejvyššího soudu. Skvělý detektovní - thriller. Kniha má velice krátké kapitoly, které nabádají k dalšímu čtení, a tak není lehké knihu odložit a vy se vezete spolu s příběhem a hlavními postavami a spolu se Seanem pátráme po vrahovi jeho dcery Abby.
Napínavé a zvratové.
Já mohu jen doporučit.
Carol
Oct 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
The is the first book by this author that I've read, or in this case, listened to. It was strictly coincidental that I read it at the time of a controversial supreme court nomination.

Listening to it kept me awake at night as I couldn't make myself stop in order to go to sleep. Fortunately, it didn't haunt my dreams :-) I'll probably read other books by this author.
Mike
Nov 10, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I went back to this earlier novel of Franze after being very impressed by The Outsider. I was a little disappointed in that the story here is pretty ordinary -- father loses daughter, police are incompetent and/or lazy, father becomes PI -- been there, seen all that before. To be fair, the author keeps the story moving along nicely and it's an easy read.
Jason Porter
Jun 21, 2018 rated it liked it
This had all the elements of a wonderful legal thriller...and even too many of those elements to the point where it was a bit overwhelming. The character development of the side characters was good but the main character didn't really seem to develop in any way. I got this as a daily deal and I'm glad that's all I paid for it.
Alicia Devero
May 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am totally hooked on this author ... The Advocate’s Daughter is the first book I read, but definitely NOT the last one. A true thriller that keeps its readers on the edge from the very first page with many intriguing turns of events ... Great story, fast paste with many diverse characters ... Kudos for a great criminal mind 😊
Karen Finch
Aug 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Strong 3.75. Intense murder mystery in the back drop of the Supreme Court.

This would make a great movie! The book was a bit preposterous in parts, this the down rating. But it was a fast paced tale and the audible version very well narrated by Robert Petkoff.

A good book for the political thriller genre.
Diane
Jun 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book right after reading another book about the Supreme Court. I think I should have read something else in between, but this was still a good story. I will probably read this author again.
  • Landslide
  • Ultimate Fear (Ultimate CORE, #2)
  • Haunting Obsession
  • An Intimate Murder (Catherine O'Brien Mystery #3)
  • Meow If It's Murder (Nick and Nora Mysteries, #1)
  • The Loft (Memory House, #2)
  • Killer Sweet Tooth: A Daphne Martin Cake Mystery
  • Forsaken
  • A Chunk of Hell
  • Sacrifice
  • King of Paine
  • Key to Love
  • River's End (The Inn at Shining Waters, #3)
  • An Amish Christmas Quilt (Seasons of the Heart #4.5)
  • The Day of First Sun (Wizard Hall Chronicles, #1)
  • Island Ghosts
  • Collateral Damage: An Annie Ogden Mystery
  • Share the Moon (Blue Moon Lake, #1)
ANTHONY FRANZE is a lawyer in the Appellate and Supreme Court practice of a prominent Washington, D.C. law firm, and a critically acclaimed thriller writer with novels set in the nation’s highest court. He is a board member and a Vice President of the International Thriller Writers organization.

Learn more at http://www.anthonyfranzebooks.com/