Start by marking “The Advocate's Daughter” as Want to Read:
The Advocate's Daughter

The Advocate's Daughter

A Washington, D.C. lawyer and a frequent major media commentator on the Supreme Court, Anthony Franze delivers a high-stakes story of family, power, loss and revenge set within the insular world of the highest court of our country.

Among Washington D.C. power players, everyone has secrets they desperately want to keep hidden, including Sean Serrat, a Supreme Court lawyer. S
Published March 22nd 2016 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about The Advocate's Daughter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Advocate's Daughter

Start your review of The Advocate's Daughter
Donna
Mar 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: crime-mystery
This is the first book by this author that I've read ....or rather, listened to. I liked his interview at the end. It gave me more of a feel of who he was and how the story came about. For being in the crime/mystery genres, this was middle of the road for me. I liked it, but I wasn't wowed. It was a good read for the day. I liked the MC and his wife. They were were well drawn, as were the other characters. The story line, however, had some incredible leaps over reality. Some of the scenarios wer ...more
Jill
Dec 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the second legal thriller by Appellate and Supreme Court lawyer Anthony Franze. He puts his professional insights into, and experience with, the Supreme Court into his thrillers, of which there have been three so far. I read the third one, The Outsider, first, and enjoyed it enough that I wanted to go back to his other books.

In this story, Sean Serrat, formerly of the Office of Solicitor General, is on the shortlist to be the next Supreme Court nominee. But Sean’s life is upended when hi
Matt
Feb 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobook
Returning with another crime thriller, peppered with legal undertones, Franze offers an explosive story that will rock the reader as the story unfolds. Sean Serrat is about to begin a new job in private practice, having recently left the office of the Solicitor General. Working in DC, he comes to realise that every lawyer is covered in politics, no matter how they try to protect themselves. He is also rumoured to be a nominee for the vacancy on the US Supreme Court, which creates an added buzz i ...more
JoAnne Pulcino
THE ADVOCATE'S DAUGHTER

A very good thriller written by a Washington D. C. lawyer and a major media commentator on the Supreme Court, Mr. Franze certainly has the credentials to write a novel that begins when respected lawyer, Sean Sarrat is on the short list to be nominated to the U. S. Supreme Court.

Sadly, Sean’s daughter, Abby a brilliant law student has been found murdered in the library of the Supreme Court. Her black boyfriend who is a law clerk at the high court is arrested for her murder
Minty McBunny
Apr 13, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2016, april-2016
This started off strong & I was immediately interested in the story. The characters were well-written and I was expecting an exciting thriller. Sadly, it soon devolved into increasingly implausible scenarios and by the time the disappointing resolution rolled around, I was too disinterested to even care that it was a let down. ...more
Henry Le Nav
Jan 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good plot with lots of twists and turns, but it got very contrived and conveniently tidy at the end. A good editor could have made this into an outstanding read.
Marleen
It’s not that I was dazzled by my first Anthony Franze read; still in the legal thriller genre, it was quite enjoyable. The short and action-packed chapters make it a rather effortless read, easily finished in 2 days. Without truly being inundated by the legalese or knowledge of the US Judicial system, it was still filled with interesting information that I knew little about, seeing I’m from abroad.
Right from the start I empathized with the main character, Sean Serrat. Until recently Sean was la
Mike
May 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Pretty good read that was interesting in that it was really just a typical murder mystery type of story...except the Supreme Court and many of it's justices were heavily involved. I did like how Franze used that angle not in heavy handed "and these are serious people" way, but in a 'they are normal people with a big job and in this story mostly just going to look at the person, not the job'.

Also, was just a good way to get "tours" of buildings and processes relating to the Supreme Court I hadn'
Danielle Gonzalez
Dec 30, 2018 rated it liked it
I think I liked this book. It was rated highly by authors that I really like. The story was a good mystery, with lots of potential ways it could have gone. The end, for me, was unexpected. I thought that lots of loose ends were tied up quickly, and maybe not with the nice little bow that I would typically like. But the characters would well developed, and I liked the family members and how they stuck together.
Sharman Bingham
Dec 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller, mysteries
Anthony Franze writes fresh, timely legal thrillers. His plots unmask that most secretive body, the Supreme Court. If you’ve given up on Grisham, I highly recommend Franze.
Victor Gentile
Dec 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Anthony J. Franze in his new book, "The Advocate's Daughter" published by Minotaur Books takes us into the life of Sean Serrat.

From the inside jacket flap: A fast-paced hunt for a young woman's killer amid the dangerous factions jockeying for power in the Supreme Court, perfect for fans of Brad Meltzer, Gregg Hurwitz and Joseph Finder.

Nancy McFarlane
Dec 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Sean Serrat thinks the horrible event that occurred when he was only 14 is buried so deeply that it will never see the light of day. But, just as Sean, a prominent Supreme Court lawyer, learns he is on the short list for nomination to the highest court in the land, his life becomes a living nightmare and his past comes back to haunt him.
His daughter, a talented law student, is found murdered and Sean begins to suspect the police have arrested the wrong person for her murder. As he tries to find
Abby Jean
May 19, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2016
for a thriller, there were a whole lot of guns in the first act that didn't go off in the third. no real stakes.
Patricia
Jan 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-forum, audio
A good legal thriller that kept me engaged to the end. I liked the author's use of short chapters to keep the suspense going. Didn't see the end coming. Good read.
Amber
Mar 22, 2017 rated it liked it
I enjoyed the first hundred pages, but then the novel started to go into a more action packed route rather than sticking to the law like it should have. As a lawyer, Sean didn't really seem to question what he was doing as much as he probably should have been and that annoyed me to no end. Him knowing the law as he does, there were a lot of rookie mistakes being made, sure, in his defense, he wasn't a criminal attorney, but lying only breeds more lies and I'm not even sure the lies helped him in ...more
Mich
Dec 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: suspense
I listened to this book in snatches and it held my interest continuously. While lately there seems to be a host of books and streaming shows featuring a murdered daughter, this is exceptionally well done. Sean Serrat is a top lawyer, recently changed jobs from deputy solicitor general to a private law firm, has a secret in his past as a young boy in Japan, having taken part in a shopkeeper’s death. He also has a tendency to take matters in his own hands in trying to solve his daughter’s murder. ...more
Chrystal Hays
Oct 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a gift from a friend, and it is a fast-paced, comfortable read.
The treatment of grief and bad decision making as a result is very well done, and the kids are, for once, realistic...we don't see that often.
Without spoilers, plenty of research went into this. You will get some fun trivia if you stick with it, and a little history. Not tons, not front-loaded.

Overall, this was a good read, and I'm impressed with the work the writer put in on it.

A little sad with the editors. Pages 162 a
Allyson Thompson
Apr 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this fast paced thriller by Anthony Franze.

D.C. lawyer, Sean Serrat is being considered as a Supreme Court Justice. And then his law student daughter Abbey dies. This sizzling story details Sean’s life Before and After her death. Her death causes a secret that Sean has wanted buried since his youth to finally catch up with him. The killer is obvious, so it seems. As Sean and his family work through their grief, Sean begins to suspect the police arrested the wrong person.

Th
Jovdb
Feb 07, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook

Franze writes a good story about the murder of Abby, the daughter of Sean, an attorney looking to get appointed to the Supreme Court.

Sean and his wife, Emily, look into the death of their daughter. Although it looks like the murderer was her ex boyfriend, there are certain questions that aren't answered or just don't fit.

Could the death be related to an incident in Sean's teenage years in Japan? Is it connected to the corruption in the justice system?

Sean, Emily and their two sons, Ryan
Karen
Sep 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have been going out to Overdrive and requesting thrillers for adults. I saw this as an option and thought, hm that sounds interesting. The way it started I wasn't so sure I was going to like it. But eventually it got to the point I couldn't put it down. The story focuses on a man who has overcome some horrible things that he did as a teenager. He has become a responsible adult and a contributor to society. As the story quickly unfolds, you find out that his daughter was murdered. The story tak ...more
Tate
Dec 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This may be the best book I have read all year! I was given this book for Christmas from my wife and could not put it down. I finished this book faster than most.
The Advocate's Daughter is a suspenseful novel that keeps readers wanting more. The reader easily connects with Sean and his family and you are wanting things to work out for them from the beginning. I for one am not intrigued by politics or things of the sort, but I was so lost in this novel that I forgot that I normally do not enjoy s
Kristin
Jun 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, 2019-fiction
I found this book very readable, and I was interested to find out what would happen next. It surprised me that I found some of the plot twists completely implausible (especially given the current political context, when things that previously would have been implausible seem to happen almost daily). But the people seemed real, and most decisions seemed in character.

The "that couldn't really happen" situations were really my biggest problem with the book. But I was still excited to pick it up eac
ElaineY
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
REVIEW OF AUDIOBOOK; JUNE 2, 2017
Narrator: Robert Petkoff

...about something that comes back and bites you in the ass.

Except for Sean Serrat, this isn't the kind of funny something that gets shown on your wedding day for laughs. I thought, at first, this was a legal thriller but it's not. It's a crime thriller that revolves around lawyers. It kept me interested and I was invested in Serrat and his quest to find his daughter's killer. The ending was sad but the murder is resolved and all that is l
Benjamin  Thomas
May 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I've been on a legal thriller kick recently.  Not sure if you've heard of Anthony Franze, a lawyer in the Appellate and Supreme Court practice in a Washington, D.C. law firm, but he write's a great book. From beginning to end, I peeled the pages in great suspense to find out what happened. A Supreme Court nominee is set to make history with the "cat in the bag"...Well, until he discovers his daughter is found dead the Supreme Court library. As he sets out to find the truth behind her murder, the ...more
James
Jun 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
A gave the benefit to the author, my rating is 3.5 stars. With the 4 stars, I hope Franze continues to write.
And, I increased it to 3.5 after listening to the interview with Franze at the end of the audio book. Up to that point, I found it hard to believe a Supreme Court Justice would have such a life. Of course, we just experienced some of that excitement in non-fiction form. But that didn’t raise to the level that Franze puts his main character through here. That colored my view of the book.
Wi
Judith Taveras
The writing was pretty good and Mr. Franze certainly has a knack for it. I did have some issues with the book, mainly certain aspects weren't really believable. For example, how does a middle-age man who works long hours at a desk job essentially turn into a field agent overnight. Also, the idea that a lawyer trying to investigate a case that is very personal to him gaining access to all types of information that is essential in the case was not available.

Nancy
Nov 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
Listening to this book helped pass the time on a road trip, but the plot was a bit too convoluted to be satisfying, and the main character, supposedly a brilliant lawyer, makes one really bad decision after another to the point of being ridiculous. I did laugh when he inadvertently ended up spying on a very nasty senator and his “security” person in a compromising situation — one more unnecessary plot twist.
Clgoodman
Aug 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very engaging legal crime drama. I was impressed by how all the main characters were believable and how they were used to further the story, which had more than one reveal. The only glitch was the mention of the remote in-laws, who you would expect would visit for a funeral. But that didn't impact the story at all. A definite recommendation. I didn't want to stop listening (Audible) and will be looking for more by this author.
Linda
Apr 03, 2019 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this read. It's more murder mystery than legal thriller. A prominent DC attorney's daughter is murdered. The question is, is it linked to a current nominee for the Supreme Court or is it linked to our main character's past? I liked the characters and the story. But....Lord, I HOPE that it is totally a work of an overactive imagination! If we have these kind of shenanigans happening behind the scenes of SCOTUS, then we are in worse shape than I realized!
Mike
Nov 10, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I went back to this earlier novel of Franze after being very impressed by The Outsider. I was a little disappointed in that the story here is pretty ordinary -- father loses daughter, police are incompetent and/or lazy, father becomes PI -- been there, seen all that before. To be fair, the author keeps the story moving along nicely and it's an easy read.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Forbidden Ground (Cold Creek, #2)
  • What's Yours Is Mine
  • Krev prvorozených (Stein a Barbarič, #2)
  • The Legend of Korra: Ruins of the Empire, Part Three (Ruins of the Empire, #3)
  • Violka
  • Christmas With The Okafors: An Ethic Holiday Edition
  • The Girls with No Names
  • Collusion (Mayberry and Garrett #1)
  • Cold Turkey: How to Quit Drinking by Not Drinking
  • Život podle Lucie
  • Last Words (Mark Novak, #1)
  • Nothing More Dangerous
  • Butterfly
  • Nightcrawlers (Exposure collection)
  • The Last Chance Lawyer (Daniel Pike, #1)
  • A Heartbeat Away
  • Borderlines (Joe Gunther #2)
ANTHONY FRANZE is a critically acclaimed thriller writer, and prominent Washington, DC lawyer.

Learn more at http://www.anthonyfranzebooks.com/