Start by marking “The Charm Bracelet” as Want to Read:
The Charm Bracelet

The Charm Bracelet

Lose yourself to the magic of The Charm Bracelet.

Through an heirloom charm bracelet, three women will rediscover the importance of family and a passion for living as each charm changes their lives.

On her birthday each year, Lolly’s mother gave her a charm, along with the advice that there is nothing more important than keeping family memories alive, and so Lolly’s charm br
Published March 22nd 2016 by Thomas Dunne Books

To ask other readers questions about The Charm Bracelet, please sign up.
Viola Shipman Oh, my gosh, I certainly hope and pray that the pen name does not affect your reading of my novel, or impact your journey with it in any way. It was a…moreOh, my gosh, I certainly hope and pray that the pen name does not affect your reading of my novel, or impact your journey with it in any way. It was a personal decision: In fact, I like to say the pen name chose me, rather than I chose it. Not only did my grandmothers' charm bracelets, stories and lessons inspire my debut novel but my grandmothers encouraged me to become a writer, and their lives and sacrifices helped make me the person I am today. I truly felt it was a way for me to honor them and their legacies forever, and, in turn, honor those of all our grandparents and our elders. I wouldn't be here without them. I could go on and on, but all I hope is that you are charmed by THE CHARM BRACELET and reminded that the simple gifts in life (family, faith, friends, fun, love) are the grandest and most important. Thank you, and much love and happiness in 2016.

Wade/Viola (less)
Arlene I think it would bring some good discussion to a group of 60 something ladies. I love genealogy and I found it very sweet and inspiring. So many young…moreI think it would bring some good discussion to a group of 60 something ladies. I love genealogy and I found it very sweet and inspiring. So many young people are not interested in the story of their ancestors and this little charm bracelet was a good mode of history. It made me want to ask my daughter if I could have my own charm bracelet back!!(less)

Caitlyn Lamm
Jan 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book. I only cried like... five times... shamelessly. It was a sweet, spunky and loveable book. As soon as I was done reading, I was compelled to tell my own grandmother how much I love and miss her! I'll definitely be passing this along for my mother to read. PS, this really needs to be made into a film so family women can experience the story together.
Pamela
Feb 25, 2016 rated it it was ok
I'm sorry to say - this just wasn't for me. I didn't/couldn't connect with the characters. There seemed to be inconsistencies with the way they acted. Lolly was the best one for me, but even then, I struggled. It was overly sappy with the "I love you" and even then, they didn't ring true for me. As I said, just not for me so I don't think I would read this author again.

**Thank you to the publisher and Net Galley in exchange of an honest review.**
Gary Edwards
Sep 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Charm Bracelet is a beautiful story about love, family, and life. It will be forever on my bookshelf & I will never to part with this sweet story. I can't wait to share this book with my Mom and reminisce with her about the stories from both her charms and my Grandmother's. So happy to be able to read an advanced copy!
Dale Harcombe
Three and a half stars.
Three generations of women, Lolly, Arden and Lauren are the central characters in the story. Lolly is portrayed as a larger than life character who loves being the centre of attention and has a capacity to draw people to her. Arden has tended to rebel against all that her mother embodies, becoming hardworking and conservative as she carves out a life away from her home town of Scoop on the shores of Lake Michigan. Lauren is undertaking a business degree and is thoroughly m
Nann
Mar 20, 2016 rated it did not like it
I really wanted to like this book. The premise is great -- grandmother, mother, daughter rediscover themselves as a family. Each charm on grandmother Lolly's bracelet is the beginning of another family story. There's a lovely (charming?) little poem presented with each charm.

The blurbs on the advance reader edition that I read promise extensive marketing to book clubs, etc.

The book is set in western Michigan in a town called Scoops. The family cottage is on Lost Land Lake. From the geographic
Celia
Three generations of women are bound together by love and the stories surrounding charms on a charm bracelet. They spend Memorial Day Week together in Scoops, getting to know and appreciate each other like never before.

Lolly - now a grandmother, born on July 4, lives in Scoops MI (a real place!!) and works at Dolly's: a fudge/ice cream place. She loves life and is vibrant and outgoing.

Arden - her daughter, overworked, and very conservative

Lauren - her granddaughter, budding artist, wants to be
Connie
Jun 07, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
I really wanted to like this book but I just couldn't get into it. I ended up putting it down about half way in. (Life's too short to waste on a book you don't like!). I loved the premise behind the book and the author seems like a great guy from his replies to reviews, but the book was overly sappy with unrealistic characters and dialog for me. I love a variety of genres, including chick lit and beach reads but they have to grab me and make me want to read without putting the book down. Sadly, ...more
Judy Collins
Wade Rouse delivers THE CHARM BRACELET a heartwarming story in tribute to his exceptional grandmother, Viola Shipman--Beautifully written, rich in character, history, memories and infused with lots of love. Where each charm holds a story, fond memories, and a key unlocking a secret part of her life.

A magical tale of things, people, and places, essential and dear to our lives, we often take for granted. The simpler times, of our previous generations and their influential voices of wisdom.

Three
Mahoghani 23
Apr 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
A wonderful book about three generational women. Meet Lolly, the grandmother, who's vivacious and lively. Next is Arden, her daughter that's withdrawn and an all-work-and-no-play kind of woman. Finally there's Lauren, Arden's daughter, whose unhappy with the decisions she's made. This summer will change their lives for the better because of the charm bracelet and the story behind each one.

This story is riveting and compels you to follow along as Lolly tells the story about the significance of th
Shameless
Sep 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was fortunate to have been given an advanced reading copy of this book. Such a beautiful story of the love between a grandmother, a mother, and a daughter. Three generations, all struggling with the same issues - how do you let go of your fears and do what you love? How do you cope with the highs and lows of life? How do you learn to love yourself, and pick yourself up every time life knocks you down? What always gets you through, the beacon -- love. And nothing is more powerful than a mother' ...more
Apr 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
I'd really give this 2 1/2 stars. I did end up finishing this, with a fair amount of skimming/speed reading, mostly because I was committed to finishing and because at this point I was paying to read the book (overdue, unable to renew due to hold list). But, bleah. I was interested in reading this after I read a story in a magazine by the author that was either a chapter from this, or a similar story adapted from this. I like "women's fiction" and I'm not bothered by predictability, but this was ...more
Melissa
Sep 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recently, while looking for a new book to listen to, I came across The Charm Bracelet. I had been interested in reading this for a while, but hadn't had a chance to do so. I'm glad I went the audio route, as I now plan to listen to Viola Shipman's second book, The Hope Chest. Andi Arndt narrates the story so beautifully, enhancing the touching story Viola put in print. Her voice fit so well with the mood and personality of the novel.

Viola Shipman is a pen name for Wade Rouse, who used to write c
Sue
Oct 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing

I will tell you right at the beginning of my review that this was a fantastic book! The author did a great job as a first time novelist with this story in making the characters and the story come alive. Its a fantastic book to read and I think it would be a great book to be discussed at book club meetings.

The book centers around Lolly, grandmother, Arden, daughter and Lauren, granddaughter. Lolly is starting to lose her memory and wants to share the stories of their family and invites her daugh
Sue L
Sep 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I wish I could rate this book with more than 5 stars, despite the fact that it caused me to lose an entire night of sleep. It is tender, uplifting, heartfelt, and above all, a love story in the truest sense of the word. The Charm Bracelet is a story about finding the courage to live life as fully and joyfully as possible despite the inevitable challenges. To say I loved the main character, Lolly, is a huge understatement. If you are lucky enough to have a Lolly in your life you are truly blessed ...more
Teresa
Jan 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of Kristin Hannah
I devoured this book! It was so entertaining and heartwarming. I loved the three main characters immediately- Lolly, Arden, and Lauren (mother/daughter/grand-daughter). There's nothing like a good mother-daughter bonding book to get the tears flowing. The lessons imparted by each charm were sweet and sappy, but in a good way. I don't have a single negative thing to say about this book. It's one I will definitely be passing around to my good friends.
I received this ARC through a Goodreads giveaw
Cindy Burnett
Jan 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: net-galley
The Charm Bracelet is an homage to family, particularly grandmothers and the importance of being true to oneself. The main characters are three women, Lolly, Arden and Lauren. Lolly’s mother started a charm bracelet for her when Lolly was young with charms that signified important events they shared together. Once she has her daughter (Arden) and subsequently granddaughter (Lauren), Lolly carries on the tradition.

Each section of the book is named after a particular charm, and the section title
Stephanie Kline
Apr 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
This seemed like a great book to read shortly before Mother's Day, as it's all about the bond of three women - grandmother, mother, and daughter (Lolly, Arden, and Lauren) - and the importance of cherishing one another and the stories that we carry with us through life. It was truly heartwarming, and I knew it would be. Very glad I read this one.

Viola Shipman is actually a pen name for a male author, and I was surprised to read this because he did a very good job bringing these female character
Suze Lavender
Mar 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Lolly's family has a charm bracelet tradition. Her mother used to give her charms for special occasions, for example on her birthday or other important days in her life. Lolly didn't get to keep her mother for a very long time, but she continues the family tradition. Both her daughter Arden and granddaughter Lauren have charm bracelets. To let them know Lolly hasn't forgotten them she sends them charms. When they decide to pay her a surprise visit Lolly is over the moon. They get a chance to rec ...more
Beth
Oct 22, 2015 rated it it was ok
This is a sweet, sentimental story of a grandmother, mother, and daughter trying to find new paths to happiness together. It was waaay too sappy for me, though, with no real conflicts or story questions to hook my interest and pull me through the narrative. Everyone was just SO overly nice to each other and said "I love you" so often that it didn't mean anything anymore. Also, characters did and said things that seemed out of character and didn't make sense to me, such as when a child or teen gi ...more
Billie
Apr 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
The story is about three generations of women that rediscover the importance of family traditions and the importance of passing down their family history so that it continues to keep their family members alive. The charm bracelets remind each of the women about special times in their lives. It is a delightful novel filled with inspiration, faith, and love.
Jeannie
What a sweet story of three generations of women who tell the stories of the past through the charms on Grandma's charm bracelet. I enjoyed the flashback scenes and getting to know how the family endured hardships and good times over the generations. I feel like this book is also a love letter to the state of Michigan. I want to go there!
Brooke
Jun 05, 2016 rated it did not like it
There is no charm in The Charm Bracelet. It has the promise of an intriguing plot and some good reviews, but it is sappy with unrealistic dialogue, and I actually don't know why I finished it, except that I was on an airplane.
Teri
Sep 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A charm bracelet. Each charm tells a different story. Each charm is a link to the past and offers hope for the future. A family heirloom that is unique for each wearer. For Lolly, her daughter Arden, and her granddaughter Lauren, each charm has a significance in their lives. Three generations of women reconnect during a Memorial Day weekend at Lolly's place on the shores of Lost Land Lake in Minnesota. Lolly is getting older and is having troubles remembering, so Arden and Lauren make the trip b ...more
Susan
May 01, 2016 rated it did not like it
Quite possibly the worst book I've ever read. I'm assuming the area he writes about is near Glen Arbor. I know this area well. Scoops? Possibly the worst made up name for a lovely area of Michigan. I don't read this genre often, but occasion I dip into this. I like Mary Kay Andrews, because she writes about Savannah and surrounding,area which I know well. At least, she can write some believable characters speaking reasonable dialogue. This book was peopled with caricatures,speaking unbelievably ...more
Jenn
Jan 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley, five
Each charm has its own meaning and special place in Lolly's heart. For her birthday, her mother gave her a charm along with the simple advice that there's nothing more important than family and keeping memories alive. Now, at 70, Lolly's memory isn't what it used to be. She reaches out to her workaholic daughter and her teenage granddaughter to come for a visit. Every charm has a story, and through Lolly's stories the three women are able to find peace, happiness, faith, passion and love.

I love
Suzanne J
Apr 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes you come across a book at the perfect time in your life, this was one of those for me. I am going through a lot of big, overwhelming (at times) life changes and this story really touched me. I loved each of the characters, recognized their struggles and enjoyed their relationships with one another. Truly a touching story of how the past, regardless of our acknowledgement of it, shape who we become in life. Full of strong and unique women learning about their history together and how st ...more
Nancy Baker
Mar 25, 2019 rated it liked it
There is much to be learned from the saying "youth is wasted on the young". For most people, it takes much of a lifetime to truly know who you want to be, to understand what makes you happy and completes you and, if you're lucky, have the health and vigor remaining to put that wisdom to good use. Parents are notorious for wanting to share with their children the wisdom they "wished" they'd known in their youth. My parents did it to me; I did it with my children; and now I watch as my children do ...more
Denise Keliuotis
Oct 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Viola Shipman has spun a sweet, heartwarming story in her first novel, "The Charm Bracelet.” Shipman's debut novel follows three generations of women connected not only by a familial bloodline, but also by the unique charm bracelets that adorn their wrists.

Family matriarch, Lolly, is joined by her daughter, Arden, and granddaughter, Lauren, as the main characters of “The Charm Bracelet.” As often happens in families, the women bump up against each other in a generational push and pull, a confli
NayNay
Apr 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
When I saw this book and read the synopsis of the story I knew I had to get it. My mother had a charm bracelet and I remember has a child sitting with her and her telling the story of the charms, some of my favourite were a cat that winked when you pulled the charm on his collar, a fish that wiggled from Saginaw, a palm tree from Mexico, and yes a singer sewing machine. And now I own that charm bracelet and it is one of the most precious things to me.
The Charm Bracelet by Viola Shipman (aka Wade
Sandra
Mar 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
There aren't enough stars for this one! Just finished this beautiful novel and if you enjoy reading, you won't soon forget it! When a book brings me to tears like this one did, well its one of the best ones I've read this year. Its all about family and what it truly means to be part of something as wonderful as that. This author has an amazing gift for writing! I can't wait for the next book!

From Amazon:
Lose yourself to the magic of The Charm Bracelet.
Through an heirloom charm bracelet, three

• הכלב היהודי
  • The Year of Surprising Acts of Kindness
  • Τα Βατράχια
  • Death in Shangri-La (A Dotan Naor Thriller #1)
  • Und nebenan warten die Sterne
  • Θεανώ, η λύκαινα της Πόλης
  • Broken Silence (Inspector Jack Brady, #1)
  • Everything's Relative
  • Bette (Women of Ivy Manor, #2)
  • The Dinner Party
  • The Ghost of Hannah Mendes
  • Santorini Sunsets
  • Every Time You Go Away
  • One Good Friend Deserves Another
  • You Cannoli Die Once (Italian Restaurant Mystery, #1)
  • Claws of Death (Cat Lady Mysteries #2)
  • So Happy Together
  • The Summertime Girls
Welcome! I am honored to be able to write novels for readers like you that are inspired by my grandmothers’ heirlooms, lives and lessons. The stories I write are meant to serve as a universal tribute to family as well as all of our elders, whose stories and sacrifices helped shape us and make us the people we are today.

I couldn’t be prouder of my new novel, The Summer Cottage, which publishes Tues
“Do what makes you happy. It sounds so simple and yet it's so hard, because few of us do. We live out of fear. We live for others, their hopes and expectations. We do what makes everyone else happy.” 13 likes
“A Mother & Daughter's Love Is Never Separated” 10 likes