Start by marking “Smoke and Fire (Dark Kings, #9)” as Want to Read:
Smoke and Fire (Dark Kings, #9)

Smoke and Fire

(Dark Kings #9)

She wanted to touch him. There had always been something about being in his arms that made her feel as if she could tackle anything and the world wouldn't dare get in her way...

SWORN TO PROTECT
A dragon shapeshifter and a computer mastermind, Ryder is sent to guard Glasgow after a devastating Dark attack. But when memories of an explosive affair come back to him-in the fles
Published April 5th 2016 by St. Martin's Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about Smoke and Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Smoke and Fire

XxTainaxX
Mar 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars. Loved this installment of the Dragon Kings, even though it wasn't as physically eventful as some of the others have been. Ryder has been in love with Kinsey for a few years but left her to protect both her and her family. Someone has made it so she returns to his life and she and Ryder aim to find out why. Meanwhile, Rhi has taken her relationship to another level with someone other than the King that broke her heart (It's still driving me nuts that we don't know who it is though I ha ...more
Stacey is Sassy
Apr 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
description

They should have trusted their love.

What a bunch of knuckleheads. In Smoke and Fire we have Kinsey and Ryder who both know deep down they’re meant to be together, but didn’t trust their love. Don’t really blame Kinsey to be honest. Ryder is a douche waffle who doubted his love and paid for it BIG TIME. It is obvious to me that men, doesn’t matter their age, fight the lovebug. In this case, Ryder is in love with Kinsey but is afraid of committing to her because a mortal, thousands of years ago be
Sissy's Romance Book Review
I received an eARC, from NetGalley and the publisher, in exchange for an honest review.
This Smoke and Fire book has all the Smoke and Fire Part 1-4 included in this one. There is still a cliffhanger in it to lead us in the the next book. Also Smoke and Fire has several characters from previous series by Donna Grant. I have read the Reaper series and was able to catch up with what they are doing now. But I haven't yet read the other series so this really can be a standalone book.
This is the stor
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)

In the ninth book of the Dark Kings series, Donna Grant takes an unwilling and scared heroine in Kinsey and thrusts her back into the dragon world. Years before in Glasgow, Ryder and Kinsey were once lovers. But when the Dark Fae targeted Kinsey, Ryder had no choice but to change in front of Kinsey to protect her. Since then, Kinsey has stayed far, far away from Ryder, fearing for her life.

But when a work order forces Kinsey to enter Ryder’s domain, she is once again hit with her feelings for
Vanessa theJeepDiva
Four years ago Kinsey met the man of her dreams in Ryder. For the better part of a year they enjoyed everything that a couple who was falling in love should enjoy. Everything felt right. Ryder knew things were different. He knew that for more years than any mortal can fathom that magic was in place to prevent him from feeling the things he felt towards Kinsey. In an effort to protect Kinsey from Con’s wrath at finding out one of his Kings fell in love Ryder left her in Glasgow and returned to Dr ...more
Valerie
Nov 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
4 1/2 stars

Oh Ryder and Kinsey! How fun was this read. You see, this is second chance romance tucked inside this amazing paranormal series. They had got together before this series even started but when Ryder realized, oh wait, I can't tell you THAT. Three years have passed and their mutual talent with computers brings them back into the same room. What fun!

Who can resist a good second chance romance? Certainly not me! I loved how they worked through the issues and rediscovered a passion that ca
Brenda
Review Parts 1 to 3

Kinsey and Ryder were lovers but after he left her she never heard about him and was left with a broken heart. But she was mislead to Dreagan and she knows that he is a dragon due the past events.

I find this part a lot more elaborate than the book 7. There is a lot of information and the reappearance of the Reapers. Rhi is now with Balladyn and Ulrik have now his powers and visiting old friends what he planning is no good. There is actually a lot of misreading and everyone wan
Alina
Mar 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, shifters
ARC kindly provided by St. Martin's Press.

Dragons, dragons and more dragons! They are taking over the world!

Sure I'm missing aspects of the story because of skipping to book 9 of the Dark Kings series, but thanks to Smoke and Fire I'm willing to start reading from book one. I'm lucky that the book makes sense , I'm unfamiliar with the other characters , besides Kinsey and Ryder.Even so it can be read as a stand alone...sort of.

Ryder is a tech dragon who is fighting to protect his fellow drag
sparklyunikorn
BR with Byezchang

When will it be the ultimatum in the series?

I seriously don't know how to review this book because it's pretty much the same thing with previous books. You won't get any clear answer. You still stuck in the mystery. Minor obstacles included before major stuff just to create this story.

*deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep sigh* I. AM. OFFICIALLY. BORED.

In previous books, I enjoyed reading them Rhi, Balladyn, Ulrik, and Con more than I read the main characters. Unfortunately this time, I
Megan
Jul 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Is it driving everyone crazy to not know what King is Rhi(idk if thats how you spell her name)? I think I'm going to go mad if I don't find out soon. I keep guessing but then my mind changes. It's frustrating and it takes up a lot of my mind when reading these books. It takes away from the story and pisses me off.

The book was good. Thats my review. I'm too tired and too pregnant to think today.
All Things Urban Fantasy
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy:

(This review is for part 1/4)
I am not sure why SMOKE AND FIRE is being released in four parts; this first part is 100% information dump. All it did was briefly introduce the main characters and catch up readers on the last 8 books worth of mythology and action - and not very well, either.

Between having previous couples literally run through the scenes on their way somewhere just to name-drop, and trying to sum up thousands of years of strife, betrayal
KathyAnne
Mar 28, 2016 rated it liked it
This wasn't a favorite in the series for me. I wasn't really invested in the romance and found myself skimming through quite a bit of pages. Lots of rehashing of things I already know because I've been reading the series from book one. As usual I loved all the scenes with Rhi and Balladyn and I'm still invested in the outcome of the impending war.
Each book continuously offers us the same exact formula:
Dragon King says he'll never marry... Dragon King meets woman that changes his mind... insert
Blushing Reader
Apr 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
I don't know what possessed me to pick this book to read... it IS clearly stated at #9 in a series. Normally I am the reader that has to start at the first book then work my way through the entire series in order, but something about this cover or the title or just the blurb made me jump right in. (and I am not much of a paranormal reader either so all around I am shocked and please with this choice..)

I'm going to be honest.. it wasn't super easy to keep all the names straight at first but then
Michelle the Romance Witch
4.5 stars. oh so many tears. loved seeing Ryder get his HEA and definitely met his match with her. full review coming soon to the blog.
Audrey
May 05, 2016 rated it liked it
average for this series...keep waiting for more of these stories to develop faster and we're only getting pieces each time.
Sultry Steamy Reading
I received an ARC of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

There must be something about Donna Grant's dark kings that make them very appealing. I mean, we're now down to the ninth book, and everything about the general series arc and the different stories in each book are still hooking readers in. I have to say that I haven't read all the dark kings books, but those I've read, I did enjoy. It must be the dragon shapeshifters who are alpha males, and all the other strong
Starla
May 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I am once again in love with Donna Grant's characters. Kinsey and Ryder were smoking and combustible just like a fire, the title is very accurate for this couple. Ryder made a choice in order to save Kinsey and that choice left them apart. Kinsey was sent by her company to Ryder (not knowing Ryder would be at her assignment) and things begin to heat up again as the two try to clear Kinsey from being a threat to Ryder and the other Kings. I loved watching these two come back together and enjoyed ...more
Thi
Mar 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
I have a hate/love relationship with this series. I love that we get a glimpse of all the kings and their stories, all the intrigues and games that everyone is playing but I hate that the books end and I still don't know what Ulrik's end game is. We all know he wants revenge but I NEED to know if he gets his HEA. Under all his anger, bitterness, etc, I think he is redeemable and he needs his happy ever after. Everyone is getting theirs why not him and Con? I just need his story to be done.
Candy Varty
Nov 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
So far this one is by far my favorite out of all in the series . Ryder & Kinsey you can feel the pain and passion between them. I hope the author continues this series because as long as they are in paperback , I will buy everyone of them.
Clarice
Mar 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
We all, should be so lucky as to find this type of ever lasting love. Yo did again Donna, waiting on the next book.
Maria Itliong
Jul 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: re-read-books
More of the Dragon Kings, I will enjoy taking my time reading this book... I love the series. I'm hoping that Ulrik will get his own book
Carolyn
Oct 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: grant-donna
I have always loved Ryder, the donut junkie. His story was really good!
Les Chroniques Aléatoires
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, à-traduire
Cela faisait un petit moment que je ne m’étais pas replonger dans l’univers des dragons de Donna Grant et une fois que j’ai commencé à lire Smoke and Fire, je me suis rendue compte que ça m’avait vraiment manqué ! Il y a tellement de révélations et de rebondissement à chaque tome qu’on ne sait plus ou donner de la tête, et on a surtout hâte de lire la suite. Concernant le couple mis en avant ici, bien que Kinsey soit une nouvelle venue, je m’attendais à ce que ce soit le tour de Ryder, surtout d ...more
OpenBookSociety.com

By Donna Grant
ISBN# 9781250071965
Author’s Website: http://www.donnagrant.com/
Brought to you by OBS reviewer Heidi

Four years ago Ryder met a beautiful human, Kinsey. They had a great relationship for a year, but Ryder couldn’t understand his feelings. Con had placed a spell on the kings long ago to make sure none of them could ever fall in love again. Why then was he having such strong feelings for Kinsey? He ended up doing
Joy
Jun 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ryder spends his days and nights staring at screens using his genius abilities with technology to hunt down Ulrik and keep his fellow Kings and their mates safe. But Ryder hasn’t always been holed up in the computer room. Years ago he was sent on a mission in Glasgow where he met and fell in love with Kinsey, a beautiful human who also has some masterful skills with technology. Their love for one another was mutual and they were happy up until Ryder left her broken hearted and confused.

I have t
Barbara Stewart
Sep 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh my God these books are just wonderful I love these books in this one Ryder who is the Internet nerd and Kingsley finally get back together after being three years apart. She thought she had a work order to go to his home where they make their whiskey to upgrade their Internet system she didn't know that he was there and that she was a plant. So together they have to figure out what's going on and to prove her innocence. Great reads everyone of these books! 👍
Natasha du Plessis
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
My first book of the new year and it was packed full of magic. I really enjoyed the story of Ryder and Kinsey. I think that it is time that Con start being a bit more lenient. With all the magic protecting Dreagan how do they not pick it up that Ulrik visits? I am still in love with all the Dragon Kings!!!
Cheryl
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent addition to the Dragon King series! Meet Ryder, Kinsey in this book. Learn about their past and mistakes made. As the series continues, we have questions to answer about Rhi, what is Ulrick latest twist to his revenge and who is the mysterious Druid? Read and enjoy this book which I highly recommend!
Melissa
May 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book

This one was pivotal. I was not fond of Kinsey not sure why. Too many twist and sub books to read and keep straight. I like most all even Ulrich the beauty of being a few books behind you can see what is coming.
  • Love and Other Wild Things (Mystic Bayou, #2)
  • Tall, Dark and Immortal (Entity, #4)
  • To Catch His Mate (Crescent Moon, #5)
  • Ever After (Transplanted Tales, #4)
  • Sea Dragon (Dragon Knights, #9; The Sea Captain's Daughter, #1)
  • Darkside Sun (Mortal Machine, #1)
  • Aces Wild (Sin City Collectors, #1)
  • The Dark Vampire (Last True Vampire, #3)
  • Soul Survivor (Soul Stripper, #2)
  • Bearing It All (Highlander's Beloved, #3)
  • Prowled Darkness (Dante's Circle, #7)
  • Spellbinder (Moonshadow, #2)
  • Stop Dragon My Heart Around (Las Vegas Dragons, #2)
  • Silent Warrior (Dragon Kings, #0.5)
  • Sentinel of Darkness (Darkness #8)
  • X-Ops Exposed (X-Ops #8)
  • Shadow Play (Shadow Touch, #2)
  • What a Highlander's Got to Do (Untamed Highlanders, #5)
Donna is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of over forty-five novels. Her most popular series is the breathtaking Dark King (aka Dragon King) series featuring dragons, immortal Highlanders, and the Fae.

In addition to her novels, Donna has written over forty short stories, novellas, and novelettes for digital-first and print release. She has been dubbed as giving the “paranormal g

Dark Kings (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Darkest Flame (Dark Kings, #1)
  • Fire Rising (Dark Kings, #2)
  • Burning Desire (Dark Kings, #3)
  • Hot Blooded (Dark Kings, #4)
  • Night's Blaze (Dark Kings, #5)
  • Soul Scorched (Dark Kings, #6)
  • Passion Ignites (Dark Kings, #7)
  • Smoldering Hunger (Dark Kings, #8)
  • Firestorm (Dark Kings, #10)
  • Blaze (Dark Kings, #11)
“Reapers are the hands of Death. Death might be the judge, but the Reapers are the executioners. They police all Fae."
"So kill the bastards."
Taraeth glanced at his glass. "MNo one knows who the Reapers are. No one as even seen Death. We can't fight what we don't see or know."
"So... you're afraid of some whispers?"
"What do you think has been hunting the Fae besides the Kings? The Reapers."
Mikkel made a sound at the back of his throat. "Has anyone ever seen one of these Reapers?"
"You see one, you die."
"Of course you do," Mikkel scoffed.”
2 likes
“He yearned for something more.
It could have been his. It had been his.
Until he walked away.”