Start by marking “Quench Your Own Thirst: Business Lessons Learned Over a Beer or Two” as Want to Read:
Quench Your Own Thirst: Business Lessons Learned Over a Beer or Two

Quench Your Own Thirst: Business Lessons Learned Over a Beer or Two

4.27  ·  Rating details ·  570 Ratings  ·  71 Reviews
Founder of The Boston Beer Company, brewer of Samuel Adams Boston Lager, and a key catalyst of the American craft beer revolution, Jim Koch offers his unique perspective when it comes to business, beer, and turning your passion into a successful company or career.

In 1984, it looked like an unwinnable David and Goliath struggle: one guy against the mammoth American beer ind
Published April 12th 2016 by Flatiron Books

To ask other readers questions about Quench Your Own Thirst, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Quench Your Own Thirst

Jim Serger
Jun 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
"Whatever you do, don't quench someone else's thirst. Quench your own."-Jim Koch

If you are looking for a "go-for-it" story...Read this book; Passion, heart, fear of failure, success, teamwork, growth, potential, dreams, vision and the craft of loving your employees....then this is a must read. See where your vision can take you and others when the pursuit of money is secondary to the pursuit of perusing your dreams. Sam Adams--it's a household name.
David Cancel
Jun 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Turned into one of my favorite business biographies of the year.
Aaron Nichols
Mar 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Two of my favorite topics - beer and business. An incredibly interesting book as Jim Koch shares stories from along his journey as he went from a startup to one of the largest businesses in the craft beer market. I couldn't put this book down.
John G.
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the best book I've read about starting a brewery and I've read a few of them. I had forgotten about Samuel Adams as being a major part of the craft beer movement. I found this book in the business section of the used book store and that's where it belongs. I like Jim Koch's philosophy about business and his attitude toward labor and career fulfillment. This is a guy I'd like to work for and have a beer with. I've never read a beer book that had recommendations about other books to check ...more
Tony Trung
Ryan Hayes
Dec 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Don't procrastinate by "playing company", go out and get the sales.
Tim
Aug 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
I listened to the audio book version, which was read by the author. Jim Koch takes the reader on a journey of missteps and successes throughout the 30-year history of the Boston Beer Company. He provides plenty of actionable insights, while also sharing anecdotes that demonstrate the challenges involved in getting a start-up off the ground. Koch learned a lot as he bootstrapped his company to become the brewery it is today. As part of the origin story, Koch recounted several times where he osten ...more
Schlow Library
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"Jim Koch's book 'Quench Your Own Thirst' is mostly a business book, but it's far more interesting than the typical book about how to run a better business! Koch draws upon his experience in founding Boston Beer Company, the maker of Samuel Adams beer, to craft a book that's also an engaging memoir of turning his passion for good beer into a multi-million dollar company. Each business lesson draws on a story from when he was starting or growing his business, and it's a fascinating journey to see ...more
CentralPA Librarians
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Steve
Sep 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I picked this book up after touring the Boston Beer Company's boston brewery and enjoyed the book as much as the tour. I enjoyed this book as the story of Boston Beer Company and it's founder Jim Koch and the stories of the beer that they brew. Koch's business advice and insights gleened from his years with Outward Bound, Harvard Business School and BCG as well as Boston Beer Company also provided bits and pieces that you can apply to your own approach to business and life. The stories of Sam Ad ...more
Ben
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
In 2017, it's hard to picture the founder of Samuel Adams beer as the plucky underdog battling against the macrobrew Goliaths. But in 1984, when craft beer didn't exist, the idea of challenging Bud, Miller and Coors was inconceivably daring. Jim offers some good, homespun business advice and some beer history tidbits along the way.
Lana Svitankova
Oct 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
тепер я бачу, чому багато хто Джима не любить, його політика в цілому має дивні і незрозумілі мені моменти, але те, що він фантастичний оратор і геній продажів - безумовно. Але Каладджіоне поки що лишається улюбленою персоналією
Robert
Aug 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was a fun read. My beer drinking goes back to when Sam Adams hit the West Coast, so some of the stories brought back some fun memories. The book has so solid business tips. If you are a beer drinker who enjoys a good story while sitting at the bar, I would recommend this book.
Steve Anderson
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Entertaining and enlightening read. Chapters are short and each leaves you with a nugget of business and/or life lesson. A great little book that presents you with an opportunity to improve on your decisions you make. Cheers!
Matthew Flannery
Jan 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Very fun, entertaining book. Disappointed it was more of an autobiography with a few key points, not a business book as advertised. Almost lost me at the end, when he tried to get a final word on some controversial moments and summarized some recent doings that were barely newsworthy.
Geoff
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of the best business books I've read. The author details his struggles and advice from start up to focus on maintaining a quality product. While the book is specifically about the beer industry the many of lesson are universal and can be applied to any new business venture.

Highly recommend.
George Hamblen
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved every page of this book. It's both an auto biography and a guide to running a business. He tells the story of building a business from scratch. He details the wins and some hilarious missteps. He is truly a pioneer and paved the way for others.
Mitch Romig
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Jim Koch's contribution to craft beer has been overlooked and minimized in recent years and that is stupid. His writing is straight forward and entertaining and hipsters in lines for hazy IPA's need to realize that they wouldn't be there without Sam Adams Boston Lager.
Jeffrey Trull
Jan 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great mix of business advice as well as beer history
Abbey
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this book and Jim Koch's unconventional wisdom. A good quick read if you're in a start-up or mid-sized company.
Mark
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well written

This is a very good read for people looking for some humor, inspiration, and some pondering. Koch brings all of that in his story of the Boston Beer Company.
Jack Alexander
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
American grit, spirit,can do attitude. If you want to start a business, read this book first.
Scott Jenkins
May 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The book is well written and makes you want to support his dream as you go through the book. The lesson he talks about are down to earth with no cheap intellectual filler. I love this book.
Mike
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great insight on starting your own venture with a lot of craft beer trivia thrown in. So much about Sam Adams part in the craft revolution I didn't know!
Justin Lee
Jan 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked it

I thought it was a very good book. Its does not contain as much content as other books, but Jim's stories and easy writing style make it hard to put down.
Edgar
Jul 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very edifying and inspirational book about what it takes to be an entrepreneur. Lots of really good tips about selling, marketing and taking measured risks. Beer me! Highly recommend!
Gregory Butera
Oct 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great business lessons from a pretty decent sounding guy.
Blake
Nov 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great stories of their early days, and some good business advise that will make you think as well.
Jack Oughton
Dec 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Possibly the best business book I read in 2017. I like this guy's approach to everything (and I like his beer). He's an ethical, thoughtful man.
Phil Li
Dec 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Unlike most successful-founder autographers, Jim Koch comes off as a well-adjusted guy you'd actually enjoy having a beer with at a bar. I still remember the impression his old self-narrated radio spots left me as a kid. They were honest and passionate, no gimmick. That's how this book reads also.

Beyond passion, perseverance, and focus, I think Jim's superpower was recognizing talent in all forms. His cofounder was his no-college, early-20s secretary at BCG. He saw that Rhonda was more outgoing
  • An Everyone Culture: Becoming a Deliberately Developmental Organization
  • Negotiating the Nonnegotiable: How to Resolve Your Most Emotionally Charged Conflicts
  • What a Party!: My Life Among Democrats: Presidents, Candidates, Donors, Activists, Alligators and Other Wild Animals
  • Smuggler Nation: How Illicit Trade Made America
  • From Silk to Silicon: The Story of Globalization Through Ten Extraordinary Lives
  • From This Day Forward
  • VOLT ink.: Recipes, Stories, Brothers
  • Carmine's Celebrates: Classic Italian Recipes for Everyday Feasts
  • False Victim: Based on a True Story
  • Hodd
JIM KOCH is the founder of The Boston Beer Company and brewer of Samuel Adams. He founded the company in 1984 using his great-great grandfather's recipe. Samuel Adams Boston Lager has led the American craft beer revolution for more than 30 years, bringing full-flavored beer to the American beer landscape. The Boston Beer Company has become the leading American craft brewery with annual sales of $9 ...more
More about Jim Koch

$7.99 $1.99
    $27.99 $2.99
  • Waiter Rant: Thanks for the Tip-Confessions of a Cynical Waiter
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Dakota: A Spiritual Geography (Dakotas)
  • Restless: Because You Were Made for More
    $4.99 $1.49
    $4.99 $1.99
  • I Suck at Girls
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Cesar's Way: The Natural, Everyday Guide to Understanding and Correcting Common Dog Problems
    $11.99 $3.99
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Edgar Allan Poe: The Fever Called Living
  • The Road to Jonestown: Jim Jones and Peoples Temple
    $12.99 $2.99
“Remember that most of us came into this world as screaming, messy blobs of bad plumbing, but with a little love and attention and faith in our future, we managed to grow into fully functioning” 1 likes
“I learned an important lesson—that the value of the stock is not the same as the underlying value of the company. The stock goes up and down according to the whims and wiles of Wall Street. The value of the company depends on elements that contribute to the creation of real value—things like providing superior products at fair prices. You need to be learning and innovating, giving your people interesting, motivating work and compensating them fairly, creating value for your community, and doing it all in a way that yields a good profit. That’s not what much of Wall Street values, but it’s what creates long-term value for investors.” 1 likes